Which Cruise Line

Britboys

Hello from Brighton, England in the United Kingdom.

We are a couple of guys planning a cruise in Alaska for 2011, which will probably be a cruisetour. Time is unfortunately limited so can only be about 14-16 days in total (including flights to/from home).

We would really welcome your thoughts on the positives and negatives of the different Cruise Lines that sell the cruisetours. We would consider most of the lines that sail there but would probably not cruise Carnival or NCL (not saying there is anything wrong with them - just not 'our cup of tea').

We got some great advice on this site when we sailed on Celebrity through the Panama Canal so are hoping you can help us now.

Look forward to any contributions,

Princess, HAL and RCI are usually considered the leaders in Alaska. They all offer cruisetours so it's probably more a matter of what you want to see, your schedule, and of course, money.

DH and I went on an RCI cruisetour in 2008 and had a great time - 5 days land and 7 day cruise with a couple of extra days in Vancouver, BC at the end. Started in Fairbanks.

Two things would be "must do's" for me would be a longer time in Denali (Tundra Wilderness Tour) and either Glacier National Park or Hubbard Glacier - we went to Hubbard (incredible).

We had a great guide and I'm sure that made a difference. Two legs of our trip were on the train which was one thing I wanted (I'm a train nut).

Links to pics are in my signature.

I suggest you first, get yourself educated on Alaska, rather than jumping into cruiseline. Find out about ports, glaciers and routes. There are differences. Do a LOT of work with the interior Alaska research and cruisetours. This is where it will definately pay off, and people make the most mistakes, since "descriptions" are NOT clear to most. It's very important you understand, all about time and distances. Find out about Denali Park and WHAT YOU, wish to do in your short time, and how you want to spend it. This knowledge will definately pay off. THEN look at cruiselines and cruisetours.

and either Glacier National Park or Hubbard Glacier - we went to Hubbard (incredible).

QUOTE]

It is Glacier Bay, not Glacier National Park.

ALL one way cruises include at least one of these. (Glacier Bay or Hubbard Glacier)

With your time limit the Panama Canal is out, that is a minimum of 16 days to Vancouver. I advise you to get a 'cruise tour', from Princess Cruise Lines.

How is Brighton these days? I was stationed at Storrington for a while as a radar instructor, and got to know the Regent dance hall very well, to say nothing of the girls collage in Worthing.

john

We booked our cruise (no land tour) recently with Holland America (HAL). The advice we saw most often, and heeded, was to make sure to sail from Vancouver rather than Seattle, and to make sure to see Glacier Bay. We're doing roundtrip 7 day. Good luck planning!

Princess, HAL and RCI are usually considered the leaders in Alaska. They all offer cruisetours so it's probably more a matter of what you want to see, your schedule, and of course, money.

DH and I went on an RCI cruisetour in 2008 and had a great time - 5 days land and 7 day cruise with a couple of extra days in Vancouver, BC at the end. Started in Fairbanks.

Two things would be "must do's" for me would be a longer time in Denali (Tundra Wilderness Tour) and either Glacier National Park or Hubbard Glacier - we went to Hubbard (incredible).

We had a great guide and I'm sure that made a difference. Two legs of our trip were on the train which was one thing I wanted (I'm a train nut).

Links to pics are in my signature.

Thanks for that - the pics were really great and have whetted my appetite. I have been looking at quite a few of the posts on here about the different glaciers. I see Princess visit both Hubbard and Glacier Bay on some of their cruises. Lots to think about.

I suggest you first, get yourself educated on Alaska, rather than jumping into cruiseline. Find out about ports, glaciers and routes. There are differences. Do a LOT of work with the interior Alaska research and cruisetours. This is where it will definately pay off, and people make the most mistakes, since "descriptions" are NOT clear to most. It's very important you understand, all about time and distances. Find out about Denali Park and WHAT YOU, wish to do in your short time, and how you want to spend it. This knowledge will definately pay off. THEN look at cruiselines and cruisetours.

Thanks for the advice. I certainly will be doing lots of research. I think I have asked this particular question re 'which line' as we really want to book a cruisetour as one package so that will determine the intinerary to some extent.

Neither of us are looking to do sporty or adventure type activities so I guess we are looking at something to show us the scenic beauty of Alaska and some wildlife. I had already noticed the recommendations of doing the TWT when in Denali.

I am also aware that with time and budget restrictions, we are only going to scratch the surface in Alaska. We are thinking along the lines of a 5 or 6 night land-tour plus a 7 night cruise southward to Vancouver or Seattle to make the journey home to the UK as least arduous as possible.

With your time limit the Panama Canal is out, that is a minimum of 16 days to Vancouver. I advise you to get a 'cruise tour', from Princess Cruise Lines.

How is Brighton these days? I was stationed at Storrington for a while as a radar instructor, and got to know the Regent dance hall very well, to say nothing of the girls collage in Worthing.

john

Fortunately, we have already done a Panama Canal trip so will fly to/from Vancouver or Seattle.

Brighton is lovely thanks John - although getting busier and noisier every year. Storrington is probably not much different to when you were there - however long ago that might have been. Strangely, we were in Worthing a couple of days ago - not at the College though!

Princess is certainly a strong contender for us but we would look to do Coral or Island if possible as we are not too keen on the larger ships.

We booked our cruise (no land tour) recently with Holland America (HAL). The advice we saw most often, and heeded, was to make sure to sail from Vancouver rather than Seattle, and to make sure to see Glacier Bay. We're doing roundtrip 7 day. Good luck planning!

Thanks for that. We will look to finish in either Vancouver or Seattle. We have been to both previously so don't have a preference for which one. If there is an advantage to either it would lovely to know about it.

Hi to a fellow Brit!

My experience is pre cruise for now with RCCL. We're doing the longest landtour pre cruise with them that we could afford (6 nights land / 7 on board). Flying into Seattle a couple of days early to get acclimatised and then flying up to Fairbanks to join the tour. Flying back to the UK from Vancouver. Took loads of advice from the people here and read loads. Booked the trip the day after the itineraries were released to get the cabin I wanted and have spent the past year just getting more and more excited as I've booked up the independent excursions best suited for our needs. Had lots of good support from the RCCL rep. We booked our flights independently for price reasons as well as wanting specific flights and routes.

Hi to a fellow Brit!

My experience is pre cruise for now with RCCL. We're doing the longest landtour pre cruise with them that we could afford (6 nights land / 7 on board). Flying into Seattle a couple of days early to get acclimatised and then flying up to Fairbanks to join the tour. Flying back to the UK from Vancouver. Took loads of advice from the people here and read loads. Booked the trip the day after the itineraries were released to get the cabin I wanted and have spent the past year just getting more and more excited as I've booked up the independent excursions best suited for our needs. Had lots of good support from the RCCL rep. We booked our flights independently for price reasons as well as wanting specific flights and routes.

Hi NN. Quite a suprise to find a fellow Brit on here - not too many of us seem to be doing Alaska yet. Can I ask who you booked your flight to Fairbanks with please? We are also planning to fly independently so that would be really helpful.

Hi NN. Quite a suprise to find a fellow Brit on here - not too many of us seem to be doing Alaska yet. Can I ask who you booked your flight to Fairbanks with please? We are also planning to fly independently so that would be really helpful.

I highly recommend you might want to consider coming in a full day early to Fairbanks. Many cruisetours see very little of this city. I suggest getting a rental car for a day and taking advantage of being there.

Thanks for the advice. I certainly will be doing lots of research. I think I have asked this particular question re 'which line' as we really want to book a cruisetour as one package so that will determine the intinerary to some extent.

Neither of us are looking to do sporty or adventure type activities so I guess we are looking at something to show us the scenic beauty of Alaska and some wildlife. I had already noticed the recommendations of doing the TWT when in Denali.

I am also aware that with time and budget restrictions, we are only going to scratch the surface in Alaska. We are thinking along the lines of a 5 or 6 night land-tour plus a 7 night cruise southward to Vancouver or Seattle to make the journey home to the UK as least arduous as possible.

Be very informed on a cruisetour choice. There is so much that is assumed wrong by people. Take "apart" the segments and make sure it is the touring you are looking for. Alaska is ALL scenery, so no issue there. And there are plenty of touring options that are nonintense to enjoy.

Find out about Denali Park, it involves more than just "the recommendations of the TWT". :) http://www.nps.gov/dena This is usually the biggest hightlight/feature of cruisetours.

Fortunately, we have already done a Panama Canal trip so will fly to/from Vancouver or Seattle.

Brighton is lovely thanks John - although getting busier and noisier every year. Storrington is probably not much different to when you were there - however long ago that might have been. Strangely, we were in Worthing a couple of days ago - not at the College though!

Princess is certainly a strong contender for us but we would look to do Coral or Island if possible as we are not too keen on the larger ships.

Go Coral. Flying to Vancouver may be easier for you re security, than if you go from Seattle.

Re when I was at Storrington, []from Bexhill, note the date on my very first cruise.

Hello from Brighton, England in the United Kingdom.

We are a couple of guys planning a cruise in Alaska for 2011, which will probably be a cruisetour. Time is unfortunately limited so can only be about 14-16 days in total (including flights to/from home).

We would really welcome your thoughts on the positives and negatives of the different Cruise Lines that sell the cruisetours. We would consider most of the lines that sail there but would probably not cruise Carnival or NCL (not saying there is anything wrong with them - just not 'our cup of tea').

We got some great advice on this site when we sailed on Celebrity through the Panama Canal so are hoping you can help us now.

Look forward to any contributions,

Look at Royal caribbean with a 12 day cruisetour and like everyone says be sure it has two days at Denali and includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Price will vary at different times of the season. May and September will cost less but the weather may be cool with less daylight. If you want to see the salmon run you will have to book from mid July to September. Royal Caribbean goes to Hubbard Glacier and it is something to see.

Be very informed on a cruisetour choice. There is so much that is assumed wrong by people. Take "apart" the segments and make sure it is the touring you are looking for. Alaska is ALL scenery, so no issue there. And there are plenty of touring options that are nonintense to enjoy.

Find out about Denali Park, it involves more than just "the recommendations of the TWT". :) www.nps.gov/dena This is usually the biggest hightlight/feature of cruisetours.

Thanks for the link and the advice about Fairbanks.

Go Coral. Flying to Vancouver may be easier for you re security, than if you go from Seattle.

Re when I was at Storrington, []from Bexhill, note the date on my very first cruise.

We have friends who live in Bexhill - small world. I think you would still recognise Storrington - and parts of Bexhill, even if your first cruise was a litle before my time :)

Look at Royal caribbean with a 12 day cruisetour and like everyone says be sure it has two days at Denali and includes the Tundra Wilderness Tour. Price will vary at different times of the season. May and September will cost less but the weather may be cool with less daylight. If you want to see the salmon run you will have to book from mid July to September. Royal Caribbean goes to Hubbard Glacier and it is something to see.

Thanks for that. We are also looking at RCI. I will need to get some more information about the various cruisetours. Some of the cruise brochures here in the UK are not very detailed about the land-tour segments.

Thanks for that. We are also looking at RCI. I will need to get some more information about the various cruisetours. Some of the cruise brochures here in the UK are not very detailed about the land-tour segments.

If you go with RCI, I highly recommend you consider a cruisetour, with a full day in Seward, so to take advantage of a Kenai Fjords boat tour- IF you want an excellent opportunitie of viewing varied wildlife. You need a boat tour, of at least 6 hours on the water. Most cruisetours, miss this completely, and have you out of Seward, very early morning on northbound trips.

With a southbound trip, I always recommend, IF in Anchorage/Girdwood the night before, to ditch the cruisetour your embarkment day, get yourself on the Alaska RR- booked direct with Alaska RR to Seward. The benefit is that, at least it gets you into Seward, in time for some activities.

If you go with RCI, I highly recommend you consider a cruisetour, with a full day in Seward, so to take advantage of a Kenai Fjords boat tour- IF you want an excellent opportunitie of viewing varied wildlife. You need a boat tour, of at least 6 hours on the water. Most cruisetours, miss this completely, and have you out of Seward, very early morning on northbound trips.

With a southbound trip, I always recommend, IF in Anchorage/Girdwood the night before, to ditch the cruisetour your embarkment day, get yourself on the Alaska RR- booked direct with Alaska RR to Seward. The benefit is that, at least it gets you into Seward, in time for some activities.

Thanks for that. My current thoughts are to do a southbound route maybe starting at Fairbanks, with the land-tour followed by a 7-night southbound cruise to Vancouver or Seattle.

Thanks for that. My current thoughts are to do a southbound route maybe starting at Fairbanks, with the land-tour followed by a 7-night southbound cruise to Vancouver or Seattle.

Seven day, one way cruises ONLY go to Vancouver. Then you would arrange a transfer to Seattle- by rental car, Amtrak, bus.

Seven day, one way cruises ONLY go to Vancouver. Then you would arrange a transfer to Seattle- by rental car, Amtrak, bus.

Thanks. That's not a problem for us - we would fly round-trip from London so Vancouver would be fine.

• 2 months later...

Hi

Been reading the thread with interest. We are from bonny Scotland and are thinking of going next May/June. The cruisetour we are looking at is the Celebrity new Ultimate Cruisetour where you fly into Calgary then motorcoach Banff/Jasper then train to Vancouver then Vancouver Victoria back to Vancouver then a week cruising with Millennium. We have decided to go all out and do a post tour after that Seward/Alyeska by train then motorcoach/Talkeetna/Denali/Fairbanks/Seattle and then fly home. All being accompanied by a tour manager.

What does anyone on the tread think of this before we go ahead and book and starting the tour on 28th May and finishing around 20 June - is that too early its just as I have a 'big' birthday then

We looked at Princess but next year they seem to be using their Lodges instead of what we would consider a proper tour

The timeframe should be fine - early enough to still have more snow places where it will be gone later in the summer, the weeks near the solstice (so lots of daylight) and a time when there's not as much rain (but Alaska can be rainy at anytime during the cruise season). Sounds like a wonderful trip!

Archived