Cruising with an arrest warrant

lilone

Sorry to get off the OP's topic...but my step-niece...I guess...she's as old as me...my brothers step daughter...signed her kids up for about 3 different church toy drives at Christmas...and yet they have $$$ plus my brother and his wife bought a nice Christmas. Pissed me off...btw, I have NOT returned to Disney with this friend...I was sooo irritated that trip and she knew "something" was wrong with me. As you see in my signature I'm selling stuff to pay for things I really want to do above and beyond what I originally planned on doing.

Wow, that's terrible about your step-niece! I don't understand why somebody would do that!!

I definitely don't blame you for not going to Disney again with that friend. I have/had a friend who takes advantage of others after she blew her personal savings while not working (did things like buy crap off QVC and from fairs and stuff) and I don't have much to do with her anymore 'cause she took advantage one too many times. I brought it to her attention, but she totally denied true things and then started saying untrue things about me in "defense". Sad. :(

I wish you very well in your eBay ventures so you can do the things you want to do!!

I have been a cop for almost 10 years, so here's my 2 cents. No one would even know that he had a warrant unless he was entered into the NCIC system for wanted persons. Most agencies will not enter someone for a bench warrant for D.U.I, which is what he has if he failed to show up for court or pay the fine. With that said, he needs to pay it to be safe. If he can afford a cruise he should pay his fine. Besides, who wants that hanging over their head while on vacation?

This thread makes me just want to slap myself in the head. The person mentioned by the OP hasn't paid the price, and has an arrest warrant. It boggles my mind that someone would even consider taking a cruise when he has an arrest warrant. I was glad to see in a later post that he has decided to take care of it before the cruise.
ly

HURRAH! About time someone had the nerve to say it! Why would you even want to take the chance traveling with a person that obvious has this issue and hasn't taken care of it...

Im still wondering if they would check for out of state warrents, do you know?

that being said ... . why would someone take a cruise who cant afford to pay his own fines?? ... but I know that doesnt answer if he can or not.

Just to answer your question Firefly since no one addressed it directly...

Yes.. there is a national database for warrants as the previous poster mentioned called NCIC... Warrants from all states will be in there.

onI don't *think* he'll have a problem. Carnival doesn't do a warrant check or background check before you board. The ly issue he *might* have is in obtaining a passport, but will *most likely* be fine.

Get ready though, you're going to get all kinds of stuff here about hanging out with/vacationing with/associating with "those" types of people. Hang on!!! :rolleyes:

PS: Personally, I couldn't give a rats a$$, but there are those that do. :o

ETA: Of course, this is ONLY my OPINION!

i am wondering about this question. homeland security wont let passengers just go too the port and take a cruise anymore the day the ship leaves. there must be some kind of a check or something if they are enforcing that. i would hate too have him get too the dock and be turned away. and i agree with you about the passport. he might have a problem there. a interesting question and im sure others will be waiting to find out what the best advice is. i would be calling the cruiseline and asking them. better safe than sorry. and yes, i would take care of the problem before i plan too go. just my opinions only :)

We went on a cruise out of Galveston last year with my sister in law and her boyfriend. No probs getting on the boat. Great cruise. 1st thing in the morning when we got back to Galveston, security came up to his room and arrested the boyfriend on a warrant he apparently didn't even know he had. He came from AZ and ended up having to stay in TX jail for a full week til they would work out extraditing him back to AZ

i would hate too have him get too the dock and be turned away.

I am the exact opposite. I would love to see him get there and get turned away.

I just cant fathom the way people think when it comes to stuff like this. (not you the person and or people that would put stuff like this off)

Oh why would you want so and so to have their vacation ruined.... I wouldn't, I want so and so to take responsibility.

It just boggles the mind.

Hi Everyone,

Over the weekend I was talking to a few people that will be cruising with me in June . Well one of my friends told me that her boyfriend, who is going on the cruise has a warrant in New Jersey for a unpaid fine due to a DUI.

She asked me will they let him on. I told her I think so but I would be afraid to go with a warrant. I told her to have him pay before we go.

My question to you yall is will he be allowed to board? Will he get arrested before or after if he doesn't pay it? Any advice/information on this kinda situation would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, FYI we are leaving out of port of Miami.

Thanks again

It will show up on the customs computers you might get on but they will get you when you come back to the U.S My step daughter was detained for a bad check warrant. They called the county the warrant was issued in they told them to let her go but to report monday morning to clear the matter up. I assume they ckecked for warrants while we were gone. She was detained at customs.

I have been a cop for almost 10 years, so here's my 2 cents. No one would even know that he had a warrant unless he was entered into the NCIC system for wanted persons. Most agencies will not enter someone for a bench warrant for D.U.I, which is what he has if he failed to show up for court or pay the fine. With that said, he needs to pay it to be safe. If he can afford a cruise he should pay his fine. Besides, who wants that hanging over their head while on vacation?

my son's a police officer in PA, running the DL produces all wants/warrants on record

assume the dude's DL is suspended anyway since he didn't pay DUI fine:confused: should pop up when he produces it as ID when he cruises i'd think

my son's a police officer in PA, running the DL produces all wants/warrants on record

assume the dude's DL is suspended anyway since he didn't pay DUI fine:confused: should pop up when he produces it as ID when he cruises i'd think

License might not be suspended (depending on the deal he cut with the judge), or it might not be a state that has reciprocity with NJ. It's been a while since I took my permit exam, so I can't remember who has reciprocity and who doesn't.

License might not be suspended (depending on the deal he cut with the judge), or it might not be a state that has reciprocity with NJ. It's been a while since I took my permit exam, so I can't remember who has reciprocity and who doesn't.

it might not've been 'originally' suspended...

u can bet the farm it is if he didn't pay his fine & miss his followup summons/court date...that's where the warrant comes into play

it might not've been 'originally' suspended...

u can bet the farm it is if he didn't pay his fine & miss his followup summons/court date...that's where the warrant comes into play

True that.

We really shouldn't be playing armchair attorneys though. OP's friend needs to get this cleared up ASAP or decide to suffer what consequences may come.

As someone who used to work with the State Dept. years ago, I would advise that the girlfriend has an alternate means of getting home set up before getting off the ship, as she may well be going home alone.

Id be more worried about why is the girlfriend not telling him he must take care of his problem before she will go on a cruise with him. And why hasnt he paid it??? But I agree with others, getting on would probably be easy, getting off, he just might end up behind bars with with a really HIGH fine to pay

Along with other Law Enforcement who answered on this thread, I will say:

A. The Border Protection enforcement team when they run your friend will see the warrant.

B. The county and court systems after being contacted may decline to extradite the person. If that is the case the BP will allow him to depart. Your friend may be detained for a short time until that decision is made by the county.

C. Most cases the county will not pay to extradite the person unless the violation is a felony offense.

D. I agree with the other posters, he should pay and keep the receipt that he has paid his fine and fees and keep it on his person when he boards and gets off the ship. Keep in mind it does take a few days to get the warrant off the court record and out of NCIC system.

COP

I'm sure now that we've given the OP our advice, he will finally pay his fine. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? (NOW I'M ROLLING MY EYES) The guy broke the law in the first place, and now he's skipping out on the fine which has resulted in a warrant. He has totally blown off LAW ENFORCEMENT but you think he's going to take advice from CC posters?!??! Get a clue, people... And trust me, criminals usually have foggy memories about what's REALLY outstanding or on their rap sheet. You don't know how many times I asked probationers about their criminal past, and they would give me half or none of what was actually on there. So all he has TOLD you is he has an outstanding fine for a DUI, but he probably has a Violation of Probation on file, because he wouldn't have gotten off of probation with outstanding fines. I'm just glad he's not part of my group! Can I get an "amen?"

I'm sure now that we've given the OP our advice, he will finally pay his fine. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!? (NOW I'M ROLLING MY EYES) The guy broke the law in the first place, and now he's skipping out on the fine which has resulted in a warrant. He has totally blown off LAW ENFORCEMENT but you think he's going to take advice from CC posters?!??! Get a clue, people... And trust me, criminals usually have foggy memories about what's REALLY outstanding or on their rap sheet. You don't know how many times I asked probationers about their criminal past, and they would give me half or none of what was actually on there. So all he has TOLD you is he has an outstanding fine for a DUI, but he probably has a Violation of Probation on file, because he wouldn't have gotten off of probation with outstanding fines. I'm just glad he's not part of my group! Can I get an "amen?"

How about a "Word!"

Seriously though, yeah, this guy sounds more and more like my cousin. We didn't know how many arrests he'd had until he got nailed in PA and talked my brother's friend into representing him. Between the arrests he's "forgotten about" and the ones that "didn't count" (for reasons only he understands), it was almost comical. Except not really. He's currently living on a side of a mountain in VT growing "organic chickens".

It just floors me that people can take one miniscule part of someones life and paint them with the broadest brush possible, assuming the worst about his character. There are a great many unknowns as to what this entails. It could very well be the one spot on his record, and it may also be very recent.

How about letting everyone look into your closet, and let us have a field day with that on CC?

It just floors me that people can take one miniscule part of someones life and paint them with the broadest brush possible, assuming the worst about his character. There are a great many unknowns as to what this entails. It could very well be the one spot on his record, and it may also be very recent.

How about letting everyone look into your closet, and let us have a field day with that on CC?

One thing is pretty clear....he has at least one warrant that needs to be paid and he is aware of it;)

Archived