Cruising with an arrest warrant

lilone

Hey everyone, We are back from our Destiny cruise. I wanted to post and let everyone know the outcome of things regarding the warrant. He DID NOT pay it off before we left and NOTHING happened. The man was not arrested, detained or questioned about his warrrant.

I would have been scared to take that chance. Glad it worked out though.

I think I'd believe the two posters that used to be a cop and work for the state department. But I believe in the ol' saying "better safe than sorry."

I wouldn't believe the one that said they was a cop because they also said it was "Customs" that does the check and immigration has nothing to do with customs.

It just floors me that people can take one miniscule part of someones life and paint them with the broadest brush possible, assuming the worst about his character. There are a great many unknowns as to what this entails. It could very well be the one spot on his record, and it may also be very recent.

How about letting everyone look into your closet, and let us have a field day with that on CC?

Those of us that have had family members killed by a drunk driver have a hard time seeing any kind of DUI as "miniscule". Just sayin'...

Wow. This could only be a CCL thread! I don't know. Anything I guessed would be a guess.....I would contact the DA/courthouse whatever and find out from someone who KNOWS. If he's all set, then you can travel with no worries, if they arrest him at the port the old "well, the guys on CC said it would be ok...." won't get you very far.

When we went on a cruise, our friend had a common name similar to a terrorist on a list. When re-entering the country, customs took him and he was held that whole day trying to sort it out with them. Arrest warrant, I would say, he should just clear it up, or else you have the possibility of being held.

Hey everyone, We are back from our Destiny cruise. I wanted to post and let everyone know the outcome of things regarding the warrant. He DID NOT pay it off before we left and NOTHING happened. The man was not arrested, detained or questioned about his warrrant.

That bothers me on so many levels.

Yeah! Congrats! Lets celebrate at the bar, who's driving?

I wouldn't believe the one that said they was a cop because they also said it was "Customs" that does the check and immigration has nothing to do with customs.

The Elder God has inquired as to how this works with a friend, the local police chief. According to said chief, ICE runs the names and warrants will either come up or not, depending on the type of warrant and the state or municipality issuing it. If a warrant comes up, the local police are called and asked if they'd like said suspect detained. The local police can either decline or send someone to pick up said suspect. Not every municipality has the manpower on a weekend to devote to sending an officer and a cop car to pick up someone on a warrant, especially if it's a local bench warrant.

I wouldn't be bragging about the fact that this guy was not arrested. In my opinion you are guilty of harboring someone like this. After all, it is only a DUI.....DUI'S KILL INNOCENT PEOPLE EVERYDAY! So, be proud of yourself....turn the guy in.....you know where he is!

Throwing this out there b/c have no clue as to what an answer might be:

Is it possible to provide this information to Carnival (i.e, sail date, ship) and have them or law enforcement identify the offender? How tough could it be to determine someone who has an arrest warrant? Aren't passports linked to SSNs?

The Elder God has inquired as to how this works with a friend, the local police chief. According to said chief, ICE runs the names and warrants will either come up or not, depending on the type of warrant and the state or municipality issuing it. If a warrant comes up, the local police are called and asked if they'd like said suspect detained. The local police can either decline or send someone to pick up said suspect. Not every municipality has the manpower on a weekend to devote to sending an officer and a cop car to pick up someone on a warrant, especially if it's a local bench warrant.

This is correct info as I have experienced it first hand.

My first cruise ever on Carnival is the reason I found out someone had used my name and social security number when they got arrested in Kentucky, a state that I have never even been to mind you. Also, I have never been arrested in my LIFE!

A warrant showed up and ICE called the local police department in KY and eventually even faxed a picture once I boarded the ship and of course it was a case of mistaken identity and I was not detained and allowed to board the ship.

Once returning to US, Customs swiped my passport and looked at me and then took my passport and DISAPPEARED :eek: She shortly returned and asked me was I SURE that I was Ryan L********* three times before welcoming me back to the US.

Happy for you nothing did happen - but wow, this opens a big question mark on our nation's ability to catch criminals. So why didn't he responsibly pay off his fine while risking everyone's vacation?

Throwing this out there b/c have no clue as to what an answer might be:

Is it possible to provide this information to Carnival (i.e, sail date, ship) and have them or law enforcement identify the offender? How tough could it be to determine someone who has an arrest warrant? Aren't passports linked to SSNs?

The Elder God is under the impression that the person in question has already sailed and returned home.

The Elder God points out that if the agency issuing the warrant does not want to pick the person up, there is nothing Carnival or ICE can do about it but let the person go on their way.

My question to you yall is will he be allowed to board? Will he get arrested before or after if he doesn't pay it? Any advice/information on this kinda situation would be greatly appreciated.

Here is what happens. He may be allowed to board. However, all persons are run through a CBP database and checked for warrants. The minute your ship pulls back in to a U.S. port, the person is arrested by CBP officers and turned over to local authorities. I know this because I work in this career field.

If the warrant is not extraditable from Florida, he will be left alone. However, if it is extraditable, you will be returning alone. In your case, it seems it was not extraditable.

This is so wrong...I would not want to travel with a person that irresponsible.....I just feel this person can now chuckle about how he is beating the system...wait until you lose someone by a druck driver--!!

Here is what happens. He may be allowed to board. However, all persons are run through a CBP database and checked for warrants. The minute your ship pulls back in to a U.S. port, the person is arrested by CBP officers and turned over to local authorities. I know this because I work in this career field.

If the warrant is not extraditable from Florida, he will be left alone. However, if it is extraditable, you will be returning alone. In your case, it seems it was not extraditable.

My college age step-niece had a "hit and run" accident (she hit a car in a parking lot, drove off). She was put on probation b/c it was her first offense, minor damage to the other vehicle.

Fast forward about 6 months, she goes to Brazil for a missions trip. She is able to board the flight in the US, no problem. When she gets into Brazil, they detain her and absolutely will not allow her to enter the country because she's on probation. She literally stayed in a prison for 24 hours until her parents could arrange another ticket out of the country.

I still think my step brother didn't tell us the whole story behind the "hit and run." I can't understand why she would be detained for such a "minor" offense.

I still think my step brother didn't tell us the whole story behind the "hit and run." I can't understand why she would be detained for such a "minor" offense.

I don't know how she would be held in Brazil over a State probation on a misdemeanor charge, unless a warrant was issued for violating the probation. Oh yea. There's more to it. She probably didn't clear it with her probation officer before leaving the country.

I don't know how she would be held in Brazil over a State probation on a misdemeanor charge, unless a warrant was issued for violating the probation. Oh yea. There's more to it. She probably didn't clear it with her probation officer before leaving the country.

The Elder God points out that it's possible she did not have the correct form of entry visa (tourist visa versus missionary visa), or that she did not have the required Certificate of Good Conduct signed and consularized by the State Police. Or possibly the State Police would not furnish said certificate. But that is merely speculation on the Elder God's part.

Last September, on the Carnival Ecstasy, debarkation was delayed by almost 2.5 hours because two women had outstanding warrants. After repeated announcements over the PA system, the women finally surrendered themselves to agents.

You must have been on the same sailing as me!! I was ready to go search the two of them out myself. I didn't mind being "stuck" on the ship... I was just REALLY tired of hearing their names over and over again!!

Ashley :)

Archived