Cruising with an arrest warrant

lilone

I'm sure they'll let him on the ship and I'm sure he'll get off but the may be in custody when he debarks. Just last week four folks were arrested debarking the Ecstasy in Galveston. All of them had outstanding warrants in San Antonio.

Tell him to pay the fine.

Debarking in Texas with a Texas warrant is a good way to get arrested.

But I still think if the state does not extradite for that type of warrant, they will have no choice but to let him go. Still, he may be detained an it would not be a fun way to end the cruise... in cuffs. But bottom line, if the warrant is out of state and it is not a serious offense they will have no choice but to let it go.

Customs runs checks on every passenger and will contact local authorities when they get to a U.S. port. Prior to me retiring I was a cop who took many cruise ship passengers off the ship for active warrants.. He will be arrested.
One would think a cop, retired or active duty, would know it is Immigration that is concerned with this and NOT customs. It's a person we're talking about, not Cuban cigars or Jamaican rum.

This thread makes me just want to slap myself in the head. The person mentioned by the OP hasn't paid the price, and has an arrest warrant. It boggles my mind that someone would even consider taking a cruise when he has an arrest warrant. I was glad to see in a later post that he has decided to take care of it before the cruise.

Somewhere I read that customs and immigration have merged into one entity. Could be why he said that.
Well I'll be. They are one and the same now. Has it been that long since I left US soil? No, I was in Jamaica in December and went through 2 separate lines in Miami, one for Customs and one for Immigration.

Well I'll be. They are one and the same now. Has it been that long since I left US soil? No, I was in Jamaica in December and went through 2 separate lines in Miami, one for Customs and one for Immigration.

:rolleyes:Thats really weird. Even on our 1st cruise(out of Tampa) in 2008 we only had to go through 1 line. Same for our cruise last year. (Port Canaveral)

It's been that way for almost ten years, I think. US citizens simply go through Customs when re-entering the US. Non-citizens have to go through Immigration.

If this guy has enough money to go on a cruise, then one would think he would have enough money to pay off his fine. I guess vacationing is more important than being a wanted person:rolleyes:

Generally, criminals make stupid decisions. I was a probation officer for three years. They spend their money on frivolous things and then they can't pay their fines/court costs. But this is the same guy who drank and didn't take a taxi. So at least he's consistent about something -- his stupid decisions.

And I can't believe people on this thread are telling her that it's probably fine. HOW DO YOU KNOW?!?!? Why would you give someone false hope????

Generally, criminals make stupid decisions. I was a probation officer for three years. They spend their money on frivolous things and then they can't pay their fines/court costs. But this is the same guy who drank and didn't take a taxi. So at least he's consistent about something -- his stupid decisions.

And I can't believe people on this thread are telling her that it's probably fine. HOW DO YOU KNOW?!?!? Why would you give someone false hope????

Posters often do that. Whenever there is a thread where someone wonders if it will okay for their kids to skip a week of school, rather than encourage them to check their school district policy, there is a chorus of posts saying "It's no problem!!! They can just make up the work!!! Have a great cruise!!!" Completely ignoring the fact that their school district policies could be completely different from someone else's.

While I certainly agree with your assessment and sentiment and am a NJ resident and thus would like to see his fines paid promptly, the unfortunate reality of the situation is that if he's not cruising out if Port Bayonne, the State of NJ or the municipality in question *mist likely* would not spend the time and resources extradicting him. I could be surprised though. They very well may. We have a bit of a budget crunch going on here.

While I certainly agree with your assessment and sentiment and am a NJ resident and thus would like to see his fines paid promptly, the unfortunate reality of the situation is that if he's not cruising out if Port Bayonne, the State of NJ or the municipality in question *mist likely* would not spend the time and resources extradicting him. I could be surprised though. They very well may. We have a bit of a budget crunch going on here.

I wouldn't doubt that NJ wouldn't come pick him up -- not worth it for such a minor crime. BUT, they would most likely detain him anyway until NJ told the Sheriff's Dept that they weren't coming. I imagine being detained for a day or two by the Sheriff's department may put a kink in their plans. Especially if there's a flight involved. Not a chance I'd like to take. But then again, I don't travel with fugitives (I know that's an exaggeration) ;)...

I wouldn't doubt that NJ wouldn't come pick him up -- not worth it for such a minor crime. BUT, they would most likely detain him anyway until NJ told the Sheriff's Dept that they weren't coming. I imagine being detained for a day or two by the Sheriff's department may put a kink in their plans. Especially if there's a flight involved. Not a chance I'd like to take. But then again, I don't travel with fugitives (I know that's an exaggeration) ;)...

Amy I couldn't have said it any better !! They have up to 48 hours for them to come get him. If they do not get him, then he is released from the port city he was arrested at.

I wouldn't want to find out myself. But ... I do have a couple of friends I can ask come morning.

Posters often do that. Whenever there is a thread where someone wonders if it will okay for their kids to skip a week of school, rather than encourage them to check their school district policy, there is a chorus of posts saying "It's no problem!!! They can just make up the work!!! Have a great cruise!!!" Completely ignoring the fact that their school district policies could be completely different from someone else's.

Yep. I sometimes worry about people taking some of the advice they are given here. That being said, there is a ton of wonderful advice about cruising here. Just not 'can I take my kids to Mexico against my ex's will?'

'If I am on probation, can I enter Canada' 'I am an escaped con. Can I cruise without getting caught?' Always someone saying to go for it. No probolem mon.

Yep. I sometimes worry about people taking some of the advice they are given here. That being said, there is a ton of wonderful advice about cruising here. Just not 'can I take my kids to Mexico against my ex's will?'

'If I am on probation, can I enter Canada' 'I am an escaped con. Can I cruise without getting caught?' Always someone saying to go for it. No probolem mon.

Come for the excursion suggestions, stay for the questionable legal advice.

I'm sure they'll let him on the ship and I'm sure he'll get off but the may be in custody when he debarks. Just last week four folks were arrested debarking the Ecstasy in Galveston. All of them had outstanding warrants in San Antonio.

Tell him to pay the fine.

Im still wondering if they would check for out of state warrents, do you know?

that being said ... . why would someone take a cruise who cant afford to pay his own fines?? ... but I know that doesnt answer if he can or not.

i don't practice criminal law, and will defer to law enforcement officials on this thread about warrants....but....

don't rely on "legal advice" you read on this board -- not even from me, and I'm a lawyer. I don't know all the real details of your situation, I can speak only in generalities. my best advice is that for a serious situation -- like an outstanding warrant -- hire an attorney who does that sort of work.

and my personal opinion -- I wouldn't neglect an outstanding warrant. it can come back to bite you when you least expect it.

It's posts like these that make me think that the best course of action is to have your friend contact a lawyer and find out the answer to this question.

I imagine that regardless of whether or not he can expect trouble on the cruise as a result of his warrant that the attorney will encourage him to pay his fine and call an end to the active arrest warrant.;)

Seams like that would be the best answer, maybe he should use the cruise money to pay the bill and cruise later.

The safest action would be for the person to clear the warrant now. If this is a felony (and failure to pay a DUI fine in my state is a felony) he may be arrested upon return. It depends on the efficiency of the courts that issued the warrant.

Doc

Why would you give someone false hope????
Because it's fun to read the "We had a GREAT cruise, but my friends boyfriend got detained when we went through Immigration....." threads.

i don't practice criminal law, and will defer to law enforcement officials on this thread about warrants....but....

don't rely on "legal advice" you read on this board -- not even from me, and I'm a lawyer. I don't know all the real details of your situation, I can speak only in generalities. my best advice is that for a serious situation -- like an outstanding warrant -- hire an attorney who does that sort of work.

and my personal opinion -- I wouldn't neglect an outstanding warrant. it can come back to bite you when you least expect it.

if he cant afford to pay his fines, he probably cant afford to hire a lawyer, so we have all us ameteur sleuths.

Archived