Cruising with an arrest warrant

lilone

I'm a law enforcement officer and I'm with Happyg Lucky here ... I would have the boyfriend call New Jersey and find out the extradition area. For, I'm guessing a VOP DUI warrant, it's been my experience that they will not pay to get him from Florida...However, he should try to take care of it.. why live with that lurking over his shoulder.

If it's a more serious offense then what we are being told though, he should definately take care of it...

I'm thinking the real "concern" would be that he'd probably be initially arrested and detained for a day or so while the police departments decide what, if anything, to do with him (which will probably be that the locals release him and NJ picks him up at the airport/flite indicated on his airline ticket)?

Pay the fine and keep receipts.

ken

I'm reminded of an episode from the old Andy Griffith show where Aunt Bea's freezer quit working and she was reluctant to call the repairman even though she had a freezer full of beef. Andy kept telling her, "Just call the man, Aunt Bea!"

She kept saying "Well, what if this..." and "What if that..." I think she even got desperate enough to have Gomer work on it.

MORAL OF THE STORY (as it pertains to the OP's question): He should just pay the fine and move on. :rolleyes:

I don't *think* he'll have a problem. Carnival doesn't do a warrant check or background check before you board. The only issue he *might* have is in obtaining a passport, but will *most likely* be fine.

Get ready though, you're going to get all kinds of stuff here about hanging out with/vacationing with/associating with "those" types of people. Hang on!!! :rolleyes:

PS: Personally, I couldn't give a rats a$$, but there are those that do. :o

ETA: Of course, this is ONLY my OPINION!

I think you are judgemental of folks who hang out on this board??!! Why would you assume that people would say that about Carnival folks? You might review your own attitude as to why you would think this.

Is a Federal warrent? If not then dont worry about it.

This would have been my answer, they wouldnt have it on their computers in Miami if the arrest warrent is in another state. I dont think they will do a search of states data banks when he gets off. .. a guess I admit.

I think you are judgemental of folks who hang out on this board??!! Why would you assume that people would say that about Carnival folks? You might review your own attitude as to why you would think this.

Because not too long ago someone posted a ?? about someone with a felony record cruising with them and they got SLAMMED for even THINKING about bringing them aboard. It was clear it wasn't a sexual charge, yet ppl were adamant that someone w/ a felony in their PAST shouldn't be on the ship w/ them. THAT'S why I made the comment.......

I don't get why everyone's trying to figure out whether/how he can go. Why not just pay the fine? I know, silly and all expecting someone to do the right thing instead of trying to get around the law.

I don't get why everyone's trying to figure out whether/how he can go. Why not just pay the fine? I know, silly and all expecting someone to do the right thing instead of trying to get around the law.

Completely agree... BUT the question was not how the OP's friends boyfriend could become an upstanding and valued member of the community and the human race...:eek::cool: :p

I can't understand why someone would want to live with the stress of that hanging over their head but it's not my life.

I agree there is a good chance that someone can get arrested getting off the ship, having worked at a port I saw it a LOT but... it was mostly locals that cruised that intinerary as well so that could have played into it.

I cant say why he never paid nor determine his priorities because as we all know everyone has a story. One thing I do know is that he doesn't live in NJ and didn't when this happened so that might have played a part with him not paying.

Anyway as far as his girlfriend is concerned, she said it will be paid before the cruise.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

That's what I was thinking!!! I had a friend meet me for a weekend at Disney and she let me know she had to drive careful because she had a warrent out for bounced checks at the grocery store...I was thinking OMG...if you can't afford groceries or the warrant...your ass should NOT be at Disney...buying her son every popcorn bucket from each park for his legos. Priorities!!!

Wow, that is sad!

Someone at my church once told us about a family that asked for help from the Deacon's Fund, which is set up to help people when they are in dire need. The family said they couldn't pay their rent, so the church helped them. Then it turned out that either that month or the next month (when they asked for help again) - I don't recall which - they went out and bought a large-screen TV!! :eek::mad: Needless to say, they won't be helped by the church anymore.

Someone at my church once told us about a family that asked for help from the Deacon's Fund, which is set up to help people when they are in dire need. The family said they couldn't pay their rent, so the church helped them. Then it turned out that either that month or the next month (when they asked for help again) - I don't recall which - they went out and bought a large-screen TV!! :eek::mad: Needless to say, they won't be helped by the church anymore.

Our church has no overhead, so we're in a position to help a lot of people. Pastor always says it's God's money, so if people spend it on something they shouldn't, they'll have to answer to Him for it. ;)

OH. Sorry to get further off topic...:rolleyes:

Our church has no overhead, so we're in a position to help a lot of people. Pastor always says it's God's money, so if people spend it on something they shouldn't, they'll have to answer to Him for it. ;)

OH. Sorry to get further off topic...:rolleyes:

My church helps a lot of ppl, but if you're going to go abuse the system by taking money when you don't need it (thus, not getting help, but stealing money not only from the church but from others who actually may need it), then you're going to have an issue. The church needs to stay accountable, too, not just the person taking the money.

I can't understand why someone would want to live with the stress of that hanging over their head but it's not my life.

I agree there is a good chance that someone can get arrested getting off the ship, having worked at a port I saw it a LOT but... it was mostly locals that cruised that intinerary as well so that could have played into it.

Anyone driving under the influence should pay the price--if he does not pay it--I do hope he is arrested trying to go thru passport control.

BG

As someone who used to work with the State Dept. years ago, I would advise that the girlfriend has an alternate means of getting home set up before getting off the ship, as she may well be going home alone.

This DOES happen. I personally know of a girl who was in that exact position last August in the Port of Miami. Her boyfriend was detained upon debarking the Valor. She went home alone and drove down a few days later to get him. I don't remember what his warrant was but it's definitely not a risk worth taking, especially when he/they're very aware of the existence of the warrant.

Wow, that is sad!

Sorry to get off the OP's topic...but my step-niece...I guess...she's as old as me...my brothers step daughter...signed her kids up for about 3 different church toy drives at Christmas...and yet they have $$$ plus my brother and his wife bought a nice Christmas. Pissed me off...btw, I have NOT returned to Disney with this friend...I was sooo irritated that trip and she knew "something" was wrong with me. As you see in my signature I'm selling stuff to pay for things I really want to do above and beyond what I originally planned on doing.

Don't answer this if you think I'm prying. Is it a municipal court warrant or State Superior court warrant? If municipal, what municipality? I might be able to offer some insite depending on the answer.

Hi Everyone,

Over the weekend I was talking to a few people that will be cruising with me in June . Well one of my friends told me that her boyfriend, who is going on the cruise has a warrant in New Jersey for a unpaid fine due to a DUI.

She asked me will they let him on. I told her I think so but I would be afraid to go with a warrant. I told her to have him pay before we go.

My question to you yall is will he be allowed to board? Will he get arrested before or after if he doesn't pay it? Any advice/information on this kinda situation would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, FYI we are leaving out of port of Miami.

Thanks again

I'm sure they'll let him on the ship and I'm sure he'll get off but the may be in custody when he debarks. Just last week four folks were arrested debarking the Ecstasy in Galveston. All of them had outstanding warrants in San Antonio.

Tell him to pay the fine.

Whats the big deal? It's Carnival, probably 10% of the passengers are criminals and felons.

For real? Wow... (and forgive me the REST of you that live there) but possibly 10% (or more) of the population of Houston are criminals and felons. Possibly 10% (or more) of the population in ANY large city are felons. Just because you have a felony charge on your record doesn't neccesarily make you a bad person.

No, I'm not a felon, but I do know someone who is. They made a mistake early in life and paid the price (fines/probation) and then went on to become a valued member of society.

Who are YOU to judge? Seriously... it's probably a good guess that one of the reasons YOU are not a convicted felon is because you haven't been caught.

Just sayin....

Edited to note: I said POSSIBLY --- not PROBABLY

Archived