Vatican Museum tour - AM or PM?

jules4172

Hi,

For those that's been to the Vatican Museum, did you find that it is more crowded in the morning or afternoon? We've booked tour with RIL but have yet to purchase our tickets to Vatican. We are traveling with 2 kids (6 and 4). Jany recommended for 2pm tour but I've read somewhere (can't remember which thread) that it was too crowded and too hot in the PM. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Julie

Everything I have read said many times the lines go away in the afternoon so it must be less crowded. I can't imagine doing that tour with a 4 and 6 year old, good luck.

Kirk

Is it a private tour? Just your family, etc? Are you going to have a stroller?

We did a vatican tour with Through Eternity 2 years ago with a 6 yr old. (and a 10yr old, 11yr old and 13yr old) He loved it, but was very tired toward the end and was actually quite whiny by the time we got to the Sistine Chapel. I actually had to piggyback him for a bit at the end (and he is quite heavy)

No help with your original question, but just wanted to let you know that it is doable with young kids, but would be better with a stroller.

It's a private tour with the 4 of us only, figure it'll be easier this way so we can just "play it by ear" depending on kids' mood. And yes we'll be using a stroller. We are planning to hit the main areas (i.e Raphael room), Sistine Chapel and head to St.Peter's Basilica. We know that any part of Rome cannot be covered in day.

Hi,

For those that's been to the Vatican Museum, did you find that it is more crowded in the morning or afternoon? We've booked tour with RIL but have yet to purchase our tickets to Vatican. We are traveling with 2 kids (6 and 4). Jany recommended for 2pm tour but I've read somewhere (can't remember which thread) that it was too crowded and too hot in the PM. Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Julie

We assume you are spending the night in Rome, because taking a 2pm tour when you need to get back to the port is not a great option. The Vatican is always crowded in the busy summer tourist season but its a huge place and the crowds are not too much bother until you go inside the Sistine Chapel. We are also curious about your tour. If you have booked a tour with a private company why do you have to buy the tickets and choose the time. Most decent private tour operators handle all the details...and for what you pay they should handle the details. As to dragging two young children through the Vatican....well...they would probably appreciate sitting at a cafe with gelato a lot more then a museum. We first took our daughter to Europe when she was 9, and even at that age we had to keep any museum visit down to under an hour (impossible at the Vatican).

Hank

Hank

It's a private tour with the 4 of us only, figure it'll be easier this way so we can just "play it by ear" depending on kids' mood. And yes we'll be using a stroller. We are planning to hit the main areas (i.e Raphael room), Sistine Chapel and head to St.Peter's Basilica. We know that any part of Rome cannot be covered in day.

Sounds perfect. We did all private tours when we were in Europe with the kids for the same reason. We went at their pace and everything was great.

Here is a pic of the kids that were with us and our Tour guide Nicki, (who they loved)

2557035560062803266S600x600Q85.jpg

We assume you are spending the night in Rome, because taking a 2pm tour when you need to get back to the port is not a great option. The Vatican is always crowded in the busy summer tourist season but its a huge place and the crowds are not too much bother until you go inside the Sistine Chapel. We are also curious about your tour. If you have booked a tour with a private company why do you have to buy the tickets and choose the time. Most decent private tour operators handle all the details...and for what you pay they should handle the details. As to dragging two young children through the Vatican....well...they would probably appreciate sitting at a cafe with gelato a lot more then a museum. We first took our daughter to Europe when she was 9, and even at that age we had to keep any museum visit down to under an hour (impossible at the Vatican).

Hank

Hank

We are at port til 9pm so I don't think time is an issue. We booked our tour with Rome in Limo, which is highly recommended on this board. I was told by RIL that if I booked the Vatican myself on-line, then it's cheaper than if they did it because they are an agency and cost is higher - has anyone encounter this with RIL?

Go with their suggestion. When we arrived near the Vatican Museum entrance at lunch time the lines were looong, after lunch much shorter. The lines were not the issue as we had booked both guide and tour with RIL. Our guide got our group togather across the street and we pretty much bypassed the "line" and waited less than 5' to get our tickets to get in. Not clear if you are choosing the guide option, I think either reservation or guide is a must thing to consider in the summer. Unless you are doing this not part of a one day port stop. Port time is simply too valuable to be standing in line.

What I do know if it is hot and summer you want to be in the Vatican and not out and about at the other attractions. AM do all the others stuff, afternoon the Vatican. If it is summer it will be crowded everywhere no ways about it. Sistine chapel, the Basiclica everythign was crowded, but no so that you can't still enjoy. There is an nice Gelato store right across from the entrance where we had a treat before we went in.

Enjoy RIL will treat you good!

Hi,

Julie

508689548_3290_RomeGellatobeforeVatican.jpg.6e8f0c5fbf863217b039a41a9584fa98.jpg

1466905476_3300_RomethelonglinestotheVatican.jpg.74328299d77144ea1510b77265b305a8.jpg

We did pay more.. they charged us 27 euros/person but the display at the time was 14 euros. I felt for the no hassles and skipping the line well worth it :confused: That was above and beyond the guide who BTW was great. I actually took a picture of the entrance, why I don't know as they collected the ticket fee after and I had forgotten about that in my budget :eek:, lucky had a stash of extra euros in my body belt. :p

We are at port til 9pm so I don't think time is an issue. We booked our tour with Rome in Limo, which is highly recommended on this board. I was told by RIL that if I booked the Vatican myself on-line, then it's cheaper than if they did it because they are an agency and cost is higher - has anyone encounter this with RIL?

311733521_3310_RomeVatican.jpg.5889101f242d908685bac737d02ce1c9.jpg

I booked with RIL last week and Jany told me the same thing. If they purchase the tickets for me it would cost 25 euros per person. If i book online the ticket is 15 and the fee is 4 per person. I was also told to buy the 2pm time. now i'm just waiting for august to be available.

ellen

Archived