What is not allowed !

Just came off the Freedom OTS, they had my suitcase in security for a Gerber multitool (knife blade on it). They also had my bag tagged for an extension cord. I explained that we use it for our medical equipment. That must have stisfied them & let it pass.

Why would someone be kicked off a ship for bring alcohol on the ship. It stated they confiscate it I didn't see where they said they kick you off for that?? Does RCL allow you to bring wine on board??

oops...misunderstood...I thought you said he took 2 bottles, like stole them...just saw the thread...he tried to take 2 with him. Only problem I have with that is how subjective the follow through is...anything from not noticing, to getting caught and getting them taken...to this...

Two items:

2) Banned Items List -- I can understand most of them, but... a HAM Radio??? How about a Steak or Chicken Radio???

You can get permission to bring a HAM radio aboard and even transmit with it... There is a thread from a year or two ago on that specific issue.

Does RCL allow you to bring wine on board??

NO Wine, no beer, etc all are forms of alochol.

The OP from the thrown off thread is suspected to maybe have gotten a wee bit angry with the crew over the incident and probably said something that he shouldn't have.

Pre-cruise Planner; Gifts & Gear, Wine Cellar. That's how you order wine for cabin or restaurant delivery on RCCL

Yes, but that's only wine. On Carnival, you can get a nice bottle of Crown Royal. However, considering how much whiskey the bartenders put into a single drink, it probably wouldn't take too long to accumulate a bottle...

Why would someone be kicked off a ship for bring alcohol on the ship.
You wouldn't be. RCI claims the right to throw you off, but doesn't ever do it, and it's not clear if they legally could anyway.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

You wouldn't be. RCI claims the right to throw you off, but doesn't ever do it, and it's not clear if they legally could anyway.

I'm not sure how they "legally" couldn't? Payment was made under contract. The ship is privately owned. They can deny boarding onto a private vessel and, if the contract is violated, refuse a refund. I'm not saying it's a wise/necessary course of action, but I don't see how it can be a legal issue.

I'm not sure how they "legally" couldn't? Payment was made under contract. The ship is privately owned. They can deny boarding onto a private vessel and, if the contract is violated, refuse a refund. I'm not saying it's a wise/necessary course of action, but I don't see how it can be a legal issue.
Terms of a contract aren't necessarily legal. RCI could throw somebody off a ship, but they could challenged in court.

Terms of a contract aren't necessarily legal. RCI could throw somebody off a ship, but they could challenged in court.

Almost anything can be challenged in court but they would probably lose. The cruiselines have a good degree of leeway as to what the rules that they can establish and the penalties that they can impose for failure to adhere to those rules. In the instance of a violation of the liquor rules, they could probably successfully argue that the penalty for a willful violation of the rule was reasonable due to the possible safety issues involved. The courts are much more likely to side with the cruiseline in any such challenge.

In the alleged incident, however, it is very questionable that the poster's account is an accurate version of what may or may not have happened. The line has not been known to impose such a penalty in the past and if they decided to make an example of this particular passenger, don't you think that they would want to publicize their action in order to defer others from doing the same thing? If he was in fact denied boarding, I suspect that more than a simple violation of the rules was the cause.:rolleyes:

Almost anything can be challenged in court but they would probably lose. The cruiselines have a good degree of leeway as to what the rules that they can establish and the penalties that they can impose for failure to adhere to those rules. In the instance of a violation of the liquor rules, they could probably successfully argue that the penalty for a willful violation of the rule was reasonable due to the possible safety issues involved. The courts are much more likely to side with the cruiseline in any such challenge.

We could have a fun discussion on what the courts would likely find. Personally, I think it more likely they would find it unreasonable. But I don't think it crazy if you believe it more likely they would find it reasonable (how's that for a tortured sentence.)

The point being, until RCI actually kicks somebody off for having a liter of alcohol in their luggage and it get's changed in court, the legality of the clause is unclear.

Archived