What is not allowed !

Just been reading about the guy who has been chucked off Indy today for taking on a couple of bottles of booze and it promted me to look at the website of what is not alllowed. Interesting one which I have found:

Electrical Transformers

Surely this means that we all break the rules - with our mobile chargers, laptop power supplies - ipod chargers etc etc

Just been reading about the guy who has been chucked off Indy today for taking on a couple of bottles of booze and it promted me to look at the website of what is not alllowed. Interesting one which I have found:

Electrical Transformers

Surely this means that we all break the rules - with our mobile chargers, laptop power supplies - ipod chargers etc etc

It's called CYA...for if your iPod charger is the 1 in a billion that does short out and start a fire, you're on the hook for bringing a banned device aboard. What, you think the lawyers haven't thought of everything? :p

Sorry but electrical transformers and chargers for laptops, cameras or cell phones are two different things.

Do they not transform the mains voltage down to that of the item ? A quick check on Wikipedia seems to suggest so.

Electrical Transformers

Can you post a link to the list? This is the only list I can find and I didn't see the transformers. I want to make sure I am looking at the correct list.

What Not To Pack

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The United States Transportation Security Administration also recommends that you do not pack fragile or expensive items (such as jewelry) in checked luggage.

The following are examples of items that guests are not allowed to bring onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

• Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
  • *Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors.
  • Illegal Drugs & Substances
  • Candles & Incense
  • Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
  • Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
  • Skateboards & Surfboards
  • Martial Arts Gear
  • Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
  • Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
  • HAM Radios
  • Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
  • **Alcoholic Beverages

Note:

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

** Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

Sorry but electrical transformers and chargers for laptops, cameras or cell phones are two different things.

Wrong!! A charger for a camera, cell phone lap top etc transforms voltage from the mains supply, normally either 115v or 230v, to the voltage required by the device bring charged, normally 3v to 18v, and may also convert the voltage from AC to DC.

This is somewhat pertaining to the thread, but I heard it mentioned in the thread where the guy was kicked off.

Can buy purchase alcohol bottles on the ship to be delivered to your room for an additional charge? I thought I heard it was RCCL that allowed this, or maybe Carnival.

This is somewhat pertaining to the thread, but I heard it mentioned in the thread where the guy was kicked off.

Can buy purchase alcohol bottles on the ship to be delivered to your room for an additional charge? I thought I heard it was RCCL that allowed this, or maybe Carnival.

No, it's no longer allowed.

Two items:

1) Yes - you can buy alcohol (at least bottles of wine) on board RCCL and have them delivered to your room. You can pre-order them also - I think cheaper - for either room or dining room delivery - on your cruise website.

2) Banned Items List -- I can understand most of them, but... a HAM Radio??? How about a Steak or Chicken Radio???

Two items:

2) Banned Items List -- I can understand most of them, but... a HAM Radio??? How about a Steak or Chicken Radio???

I believe this is because they discontinued the cheese tray from room service.;)

Wrong!! A charger for a camera, cell phone lap top etc transforms voltage from the mains supply, normally either 115v or 230v, to the voltage required by the device bring charged, normally 3v to 18v, and may also convert the voltage from AC to DC.

While you are correct with this statement I believe that they are referring to a high voltage transformer.

Just some background for validity,my father has been a master electrician for over 40 years and I've learned alot through him, also I am studying computer sciences at the moment.

That said, every single electronic device that uses anything else as it's power source(e.g. batteries, AC/DC, or any other sort of plugin) requires that the voltage be transformed. the only device I can think of off of the top of my head that does not is an RFID chip, it uses radio frequencies to power itself. A transformer can be as small as your thumbnail or the giant ones you see on telephone poles. While anything you bring on board such as a cell phone, alarm clock, phone charger, computer, camera or even your electronic watch has a transformer by definition inside of it, these are almost always low voltage converters. Not the same thing by any means as the devices that I believe they are saying is not allowed.

I would assume that they mean something along the lines of a self contained charger for a car battery or an emergency power supply unit.

I hope this helps to clear up the idea that your charger isn't allowed.

Two items:

1) Yes - you can buy alcohol (at least bottles of wine) on board RCCL and have them delivered to your room. You can pre-order them also - I think cheaper - for either room or dining room delivery - on your cruise website.

I can just picture some dude with a 1kW tube radio and a dipole chattering from the middle of the ocean, baking his neighbors in the process. :)

That was my question also. I don't find any mention of transformers.

OP is in the UK. It's on the RCI UK site. No doubt refers to 220 to 110 stepdown transformers. (Or step up from onboard 110 to UK 220.)

Here's the text from the FAQ on www.royalcaribbean.co.uk; note the inclusion of "Electrical Transformer" in the list:

Q:

What items are not allowed onboard the cruise ship?

A:

Weapons, illegal drugs, and other items that could interfere with the safe operation of the ship or the safe and secure environment of our guests and crew are prohibited. The following are examples of items that are not allowed onboard. These and other similar items will be confiscated upon being found.

Prohibited items:

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors. (Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates

Electrical Transformers

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including ligher fuel and fireworks

HAM radio equipment

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Martial Arts Gear

Personal Alcohol

Skateboards

Surfboards

Dangerous chemicals including bleach and paint

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks

Two items:

A Ham radio, is actually something like a CB radio, but much higher power. The ships at one time, communicated with ham radios, but now, they probably have them for back-up and emergency communication. So if you bring one on board, you can interfere with the ships communications. :D

I haven't seen anywhere you can purchase bottles on Royal, but I know you can do so on Carnival and NCL (better prices on Carnival).

Pre-cruise Planner; Gifts & Gear, Wine Cellar. That's how you order wine for cabin or restaurant delivery on RCCL

Archived