4-hour tour of Rome: suggestions?

cyncyn129

I have arranged for Rome in Limo to pick my S/O and I up from the airport in Rome at 8 a.m. and then take us on a 4 hour tour of Rome before we get dropped off at the hotel.

I was hoping some fellow travelers could provide some suggestions/must sees for the 4 hour tour. We will see the Vatican the following day, when we go for the Scavi Tour, and are planning to go to the Colliseum and Roman Forums in the afternoon. We want to try and optimize the car/driver to see as much of Rome as possible. We're only there for a day and a half before we head to the port to catch our cruise.

Thanks in advance!!!

My first suggestion would be to tell RIL what you plan to see the next day, and let them fill in the blanks. They are good at that!

Other ideas: Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Piazza Navona, Circus Maximus, Theater of Marcellus. All are brief stops that look good from a distance (even jet-lagged!).

The Pantheon would be worth a stop and going in. You can get a good cappucino outside to keep you awake.

If you have any interest in the catacombs and the Appian Way, that -- to me -- is a good use of a car and driver as it is not as easy to get to on your own. The sites CoralReef mentions are all great too, but you can walk to most of them on your own if you are staying in the Central area (Centro Storico). On the other hand....

When you say you are there for a day and a half, do you mean you get in one day, have a full day the next day, then head to the port on the third day? Or is it less time than that? Your answer would greatly impact what I would suggest.

It sounds like you are looking for an overview of Rome, while killing time until you can check into your hotel.

I think I'd ask for a general overview, to orient yourself. I'd ask them to drive by the Vatican, even though you'll be going there the next day, so you'll see where it is vis-a-vis everything else.

Since you're paying for the car and driver, I'm guessing you're not looking for ideas that take you out of the car for big chunks of time, yes?

In addition to the Vatican, I'd ask to drive along the Tiber to see Castel Sant' Angelo, Villa Farnesina, and Tiber Island. Drive along the Circus Maximus and up Via Gregorio to the Colosseum, and you'll get a view of Palatine along the way. You can even ask to stop at the lookout point about midway along the Circus Maximus.

You could drive up the Aventine Hill and get out and look through the keyhole of the Knights of Malta, for the famous view of St. Peter's dome. While in the area you could go by the odd Pyramid of Caius Cestius (from which the Piramide metro stop got its name).

Are you a fan of old movies? How about a drive up (or down) the Via Veneto? Or along Via Margutta?

I'm not sure if the windy road from Piazza del Popolo is still open to car traffic, but I'd want to do that if it is.

If you have any interest in the catacombs and the Appian Way, that -- to me -- is a good use of a car and driver as it is not as easy to get to on your own. The sites CoralReef mentions are all great too, but you can walk to most of them on your own if you are staying in the Central area (Centro Storico). On the other hand....

When you say you are there for a day and a half, do you mean you get in one day, have a full day the next day, then head to the port on the third day? Or is it less time than that? Your answer would greatly impact what I would suggest.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Our flight arrives at FCO on Thursday @ 7:55 a.m. RomeinLimo will pick us up at the airport and I've arranged for them to take us on a 4-hour tour of Rome before dropping us off at the hotel. My plan was to check in and the hotel, drop off our bags and then head for the Colloseum & the Roman Forum (since they are open till 7 p.m. that night). Then dinner & some walking around the hotel to see some sites at night (we are staying at the Grande Hotel de la Minvere right by the Pantheon).

Friday morning we have the Scavi Tour scheduled for 9:30 a.m. Need to be back at the hotel by 1 p.m. so RomeinLimo can pick us up and take us to the port (sailing on Celebrity Equinox).

I know it's not a lot of time in Rome, but it's all we've got. I want to try and make the most of our 4 hours in the car and see as many sites as possible. Even if its only a drive by or short stop. Thanks again!

Well, the problem is that so little can be seen by car--it's really a walking place. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever been in a car in Rome, except once to go to the opera we took a taxi. Yes, you could go out to the catacombs, but the Scavi tour is MUCH more interesting and with such a short time there I wouldn't want to duplicate too much.

The other thing you're not factoring in is jet lag; with a 7:55 AM arrival, you are probably going to be pretty beat. I think you are being pretty ambitious for arrival day! Why not let the tour company give you their standar 4 hour tour and then you can fill in anything you've got on your list IF you feel like it afterwards. My guess is that you may need a nap!

Cathy

To maximise the small amount of time you have, I'd recommend you save outdoor sights for night time, (you really need to be on foot to experience them) the Trevi Fountain looks great all lit up, the piazzas can be done at night as well as the Spanish Steps, use the 4 hour driving tour to get orientated, learn the history of what you'll be seeing, I know how you feel, we were there just 3 nights, tried to make the most of it, be sure to throw a coin in the fountain so you'll go back someday!

From what I have read, heard and seen one thing I would change is to see the Vatican in the afternoon. I understand the crowds are bigger in the morning so I would switch that visit to the afternoon and see the Colliseum etc in the morning.

I think the OP has reservations for the Scavi tour at the Vatican in the morning; otherwise you're right, the afternoon is probably a better choice. But the Scavi is wonderful!

Yes, I do - for 9:30 a.m. on Friday. Not much time before I need to be back at the hotel for RIL to pick us up for transport to the ship.

The way we use the language is confusing. Sometimes it's hard to know when a poster says "the Vatican" if they are referring to the museums or the basilica, or both. Rarely are they ever referring to the State, which is what the term really describes. However, we all (most of us, at least) do it.

Archived