Miami pre and post cruise

We are staying at the Epic hotel in Miami for 2 nights pre cruise anyone got any ideas what we can do near there?? Also after the cruise disembarks we have a 4pm flight so probably need to be at the airport about 2pm. Any ideas what we can do to pass the time - bear in mind we will have luggage! Sail on 20th June on Liberty and can't wait. Have a hump balcony cabin on deck 8 portside, never has a balcony before.

Where is the Epic? Miami is pretty big! Coconut Grove is a fun place to spend the evening...shops, lots of restaurants and nightlife. Then, there's always South Beach to while away the day...

We are staying at the Epic hotel in Miami for 2 nights pre cruise anyone got any ideas what we can do near there?? Also after the cruise disembarks we have a 4pm flight so probably need to be at the airport about 2pm. Any ideas what we can do to pass the time - bear in mind we will have luggage! Sail on 20th June on Liberty and can't wait. Have a hump balcony cabin on deck 8 portside, never has a balcony before.

Have RCCL send your luggage to the airport and go lay on South Beach. There are some pretty good places to eat there I might have already said this on the M&M thread, but look up and forward and wave, I am on 9 portside, just forward of the hump.

Where is the Epic? Miami is pretty big! Coconut Grove is a fun place to spend the evening...shops, lots of restaurants and nightlife. Then, there's always South Beach to while away the day...

It's very close to the port

Epic is located in Downtown Miami. Whether you have a car or not, there are many places within 10-20 minutes from your hotel.

Mary Brickell Village is about 10 minutes south from your hotel and is within walking distance. There are some very nice bars and restaurants.

Bayside is the closest to the port, but I suggest to stay away ... it's a tourist trap. Nothing exciting to see or do there except shop, which are most likely the same shops you have at home.

South Beach is a must for first-timers. Lincoln Road has great places to eat and shop as well as Ocean Drive. I prefer the local scene ... a great breakfast or lunch spot is The Big Pink on 2nd & Collins Ave. If you like Jazz, the upstairs area at Van Dyke (Lincoln Road) is nice in the evening. Tintas Y Tapas (Espanola Way) for some very good Spanish food and salsa dancing. Please don't go to Mangos on Ocean Drive ... again, a tourist trap and so tacky.

Coconut Grove, just 15 minutes south of your hotel has a lot of unique shops and restaurants. On your way, visit Vizcaya Museum and Gardens. http://www.vizcayamuseum.org/

If you have time, Key Biscayne offers the best views of Downtown Miami and Biscayne Bay from the Rusty Pelican restaurant.

Whatever you choose to do, be safe and have fun!

I recently stayed at the Hyatt which is across the street from the Epic. I am one of those that likes Bayside and we went their for dinner. There is a Walgreens a short walk from the hotel if you need last minute things.

I recently stayed at the Hyatt which is across the street from the Epic. I am one of those that likes Bayside and we went their for dinner. There is a Walgreens a short walk from the hotel if you need last minute things.

We also like the Bayside Marketplace. Interesting shops and a lot of food choices.

If you do the luggage valet $20.00pp you will be in one of the first groups off the ship (this is mandatory to use the program) and you will have plenty of time before getting to the airport and not have to have any of your luggage with you except your small overnight carryon...Enjoy !!!

I vote for South Beach and Lincoln Road, which are a short cab ride from the port, walking distance from each other and much more interesting in terms of shopping, restaurants and people-watching (along with a nice movie theater on the west end of Lincoln Road) than anything in the downtown/Brickell area. Bayside is OK, but the shopping there is nothing special at all, and it doesn't compare to those two--it gets mostly Central and South American tourists, while EVERYBODY goes to the beach.

Les

I vote for South Beach and Lincoln Road, which are a short cab ride from the port, walking distance from each other and much more interesting in terms of shopping, restaurants and people-watching (along with a nice movie theater on the west end of Lincoln Road) than anything in the downtown/Brickell area. Bayside is OK, but the shopping there is nothing special at all, and it doesn't compare to those two--it gets mostly Central and South American tourists, while EVERYBODY goes to the beach.

Les

I agree with you Les. I suppose us locals stay away from Bayside. Heck, I rarely even go to South Beach anymore!

Go Dolphins by the way!

For getting to South Beach, if one were to take their own car, is there a place to park for less than it would cost to taxi round trip?

There are a few parking garages around South Beach. There is one off of Collins Ave and 6th Street. There is one on Washington Ave and 12th/13th Street. There is one off of Lincoln Road and 16th Street. There is one off of Lincoln Road and Jefferson Street.

Not all the coin meters have been changed to the pay station meters (you put money in and get a ticket), but a good spot to park for a pay station is south of 5th Street, anywhere between Washington Ave, Collins Ave, and Ocean Drive ... it is far less crowded than trying to park anywhere north of 5th or Ocean Dr.

Archived