Thinking about St. John and how to go

IMDORY

Gimpy - ditto on what Host Anne said about visiting STJ. We have visited on our own twice now, and I highly recommend the open safari tour of the island!

We did this last Oct. and we negotiated with the driver to take us to the beach for a couple of hours at the end of the tour for a few extra $$...well worth it.

The tour of the island is amazing, some very steep roads, visit to the Sugar Mill and something that would not be easy to do on your own.

Have a fabulous trip!

Susan

• 2 weeks later...

Anne,

We will be docked at Crown Bay on the Allure on May 1. We will be the only cruse ship in St. Thomas for the day.

Our plan is to go to St. John. If we took the 5:00 ferry from St. John, will that give us enough time to make all aboard at 6:30 P.M.?

Thanks for your help.

Just returned from our cruise...Anne, quick question, when we got off the dock at havensite, was there supposed to be a ferry? I was under the impression there was a ferry in walking distance? When we got off the ferry the taxi people told us the only ferry was the red hook ferry... All worked out wonderful, expensive day, but wonderful!!

Anne,

We will be docked at Crown Bay on the Allure on May 1. We will be the only cruse ship in St. Thomas for the day.

Our plan is to go to St. John. If we took the 5:00 ferry from St. John, will that give us enough time to make all aboard at 6:30 P.M.?

Thanks for your help.

I know you are asking Anne for an opinion but since I live on a small island just off the coast of St. Thomas I feel qualified to offer an opinion (but it is just my opinion.)

I personally, would not wait for the 5:00 o'clock ferry if I had to be back on board at 6:30. The crossing takes about 25 minutes and while taxis are usually waiting at the Red Hook marine terminal it still takes a little time additional time to be on your way. The end of day traffic returning to Charlotte Amalie is often heavy and the Allure docks in Crown Bay which is on the west side of town (further from Red Hook).

I think there a few things that can spoil an otherwise wonderful day any more than the stress caused by worrying that you will miss your ship! I'd still go to St. John if that's what I wanted to do but I'd take the 4:00 ferry back.

What ever you decide - have a great day! :)

I know you are asking Anne for an opinion but since I live on a small island just off the coast of St. Thomas I feel qualified to offer an opinion (but it is just my opinion.)

I personally, would not wait for the 5:00 o'clock ferry if I had to be back on board at 6:30. The crossing takes about 25 minutes and while taxis are usually waiting at the Red Hook marine terminal it still takes a little time additional time to be on your way. The end of day traffic returning to Charlotte Amalie is often heavy and the Allure docks in Crown Bay which is on the west side of town (further from Red Hook).

I think there a few things that can spoil an otherwise wonderful day any more than the stress caused by worrying that you will miss your ship! I'd still go to St. John if that's what I wanted to do but I'd take the 4:00 ferry back.

What ever you decide - have a great day! :)

LivetheLife, Thank you so much for your input. I've already been stressing over this, and that's not what I want to do on a cruise! :)

Edited by denamo

We are just getting off the Allure today and would recommend the ship's excursion to St John. It was $40 plus $6 each way for transfers to Trunk Bay. We arrived at the beach by 12:15 and had over three hours there plus some walking around time in town. I don't see how this can be done cheaper or get you more time in St John. The excursion includes rum punch on the return. We normally avoid all cruise line excursions. But this one actually makes sense.

We are just getting off the Allure today and would recommend the ship's excursion to St John. It was $40 plus $6 each way for transfers to Trunk Bay. We arrived at the beach by 12:15 and had over three hours there plus some walking around time in town. I don't see how this can be done cheaper or get you more time in St John. The excursion includes rum punch on the return. We normally avoid all cruise line excursions. But this one actually makes sense.

It definitely can be done cheaper and you have more time!! Take the local bus to ferry--1-2 bucks...ferry 8 bucks---share a cab after you get of ferry a couple bucks. Spend whole day---and then some!!

I agree. I have done St. John on my own several times and last February took RCL's trip. My Mom was nervous about going on our own, so we went on the shopping trip to St John. It couldn't have been easier! We skipped the shopping and went straight to Trunk Bay. We were there by 11 am. We had about 3 1/2 hours there and still had time to shop in Cruz Bay before catching the ferry back to the ship. It was a very good way to get to St. John, IMHO. I plan on doing it again in November. You can probably get to Trunk Bay earlier on your own (and maybe more cheaply) but you can't stay as long as this excursion does. You also can't beat the convenience. The masses had left Trunk Bay far before we did. Our all-aboard time was 4:30. We left Cruz Bay at about 3:30. We stepped aboard our ship at 4:40 with no worries that we would be left behind. I highly recommend this excursion for anyone considering St. John as an excursion.

Some inaccurate "information" here as is the case sometimes...

Yes the ship-sponsored excursion is very easy and definitely the way to go for someone who may be a first-time cruiser or even those who just feel safer with that. But for us and others this is one of the easiest self-excursions there are, and you do get a little nore time on STJ, no question.

We would not recommend the $2 "bus" option, even on a good day you're wasting precious time with that, just grab a $9 - 12pp taxi each way depending on where you're docked.

The beaches of STJ are beautiful, but also don't overlook the East End beaches of STT. Too many people never experience the most beautiful part of STT, and that saves at least 1.5 hrs of travel time for those with only 8 or 9 hrs in port.

Yes the ship-sponsored excursion is very easy and definitely the way to go for someone who may be a first-time cruiser or even those who just feel safer with that. But for us and others this is one of the easiest self-excursions there are, and you do get a little nore time on STJ, no question.

We would not recommend the $2 "bus" option, even on a good day you're wasting precious time with that, just grab a $9 - 12pp taxi each way depending on where you're docked.

The beaches of STJ are beautiful, but also don't overlook the East End beaches of STT. Too many people never experience the most beautiful part of STT, and that saves at least 1.5 hrs of travel time for those with only 8 or 9 hrs in port.

I disagree with you. Royal Carib ferry leaves right from the pier. Price without excursion is $12 *2 = $24 for taxi and $12 round for ferry for $36 total. It requires waiting for taxis and being able to catch a ferry on schedule. Is saving $4 really worth it for waiting and transfers? We actually did on our own from Havensight a few years ago. This time, from Crown Bay, ship excursion made a lot of sense and the 4:30 ferry boarding time fit our schedule and ship's with the 6 pm all aboard time. There was zero downside to using ship's sponsored ferry as transportation.

I disagree with you. Royal Carib ferry leaves right from the pier. Price without excursion is $12 *2 = $24 for taxi and $12 round for ferry for $36 total. It requires waiting for taxis and being able to catch a ferry on schedule. Is saving $4 really worth it for waiting and transfers? We actually did on our own from Havensight a few years ago. This time, from Crown Bay, ship excursion made a lot of sense and the 4:30 ferry boarding time fit our schedule and ship's with the 6 pm all aboard time. There was zero downside to using ship's sponsored ferry as transportation.

I'm confused and am not sure what you are disagreeing with hub. I think you are referring to a RT raxi from Crown to the ferry(?) but that's not clear. I'm recommending the Red Hook ferry for a self-excursion, not downtown but that is an alternate option. We just don't recommend that unless necessary for some reason.

Maybe you're just looking at the costs between the different options? That's not a consideration for us as that's very insignificant. It's the flexibility and speed of traveling in smaller groups that gives you more time to enjoy.

But again if someone feels more comfortable or just likes the excursion option there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I would suggest the Champagne or STJ shore excursion for an even nicer day, as that's much nicer than a ferry in the open water.

Yes the ship-sponsored excursion is very easy and definitely the way to go for someone who may be a first-time cruiser or even those who just feel safer with that.

What "inaccurate information" are you referring to?

You continually refer, in various threads, to the ship excursion to St. John as a good option for the new or inexperienced cruiser. I couldn't disagree more. I have been to St. Thomas more times than I can reliably count. I have taken the trip over to St. John numerous times on cruise and land vacations. I found the ship excursion to be very easy, convenient, and cost effective with a lot of time to spend on the island. Have you taken this ship excursion? Don't knock it until you try it! I very seldom take ship excursions, but this one is really very good. IMO, it is good for a wide variety of cruisers, new and seasoned alike.

Lol...a continuing drama :p

Yes we took the ship excursion as well as the champagne tour our first few visits to the VI, again nothing wrong with that hub, khm1, just a matter of preference. My comment on new and lesser experienced cruisers taking the excursion option vs going on their own stands, but this isn't intended to be rude in any way. It just aligns with how most of the more experienced cruisers choose to spend their day.

We rarely cruise to STT anymore as we take more southerly cruises when we do cruise. But we do stay on STT as well as in the BVI, and when we stay at Sapphire and ferry over to Cruz Bay from Red Hook we meet many cruising couples and families who - like us - have found that going on their own is just so much more rewarding and they've been there much more than you and I. So it's not just us but many ppl who are more familiar with these islands, and again I try to stress that's our choice just as the excursion is yours. Hethathelps you understand why we suggest looking at the self-excursion option?

This forum is a place to voice opinions and it is great that so many people offer help to first-timers. But importand decisions are made based on the information here, and we just want newer folks to have a clear understanding of the choices available and not be limited by very biased posts or incomplete information. Regarding the incorrect information you questioned me on, I was referring to several instances throughout this 1,100 post thread:rolleyes: and others that can lead new visitors to making these poorly-imformed decisions.

So nothing against your choices, and I hope you don't have a problem with newer people getting a picture of all the options so they can make a well-informed decision. Again in this situation this discussion is so much overkill because either option is good, just different reasons (not opinions really) on why one is better than the other.

Thanks!

Lol...a continuing drama :p

Yes we took the ship excursion as well as the champagne tour our first few visits to the VI, again nothing wrong with that hub, khm1, just a matter of preference. My comment on new and lesser experienced cruisers taking the excursion option vs going on their own stands, but this isn't intended to be rude in any way. It just aligns with how most of the more experienced cruisers choose to spend their day.

We rarely cruise to STT anymore as we take more southerly cruises when we do cruise. But we do stay on STT as well as in the BVI, and when we stay at Sapphire and ferry over to Cruz Bay from Red Hook we meet many cruising couples and families who - like us - have found that going on their own is just so much more rewarding and they've been there much more than you and I. So it's not just us but many ppl who are more familiar with these islands, and again I try to stress that's our choice just as the excursion is yours. Hethathelps you understand why we suggest looking at the self-excursion option?

This forum is a place to voice opinions and it is great that so many people offer help to first-timers. But importand decisions are made based on the information here, and we just want newer folks to have a clear understanding of the choices available and not be limited by very biased posts or incomplete information. Regarding the incorrect information you questioned me on, I was referring to several instances throughout this 1,100 post thread:rolleyes: and others that can lead new visitors to making these poorly-imformed decisions.

So nothing against your choices, and I hope you don't have a problem with newer people getting a picture of all the options so they can make a well-informed decision. Again in this situation this discussion is so much overkill because either option is good, just different reasons (not opinions really) on why one is better than the other.

Thanks!

No drama here. I simply don't agree with some of your statements. Of course I want newer members to have all of the information. That is why I posted. Experienced cruisers also take the aforementioned excursion. That is my point. Everyone has choices when choosing excursions. As you mentioned, having complete information is best for everyone.

You happened to mention earlier that you've been to STT ("St Thomas") more times than you can count and have gone to STJ numerous times and you're lucky in that regard and I'm sure you feel lucky. We travel between the BVI and VI frequently and I feel very fortunate that we can do that. The islands of the BVI are my first love, the islands of the VI are a convenient steppingstone and layover spot and are also a nice place to spend time and we too enjoy that.

We each have our experiences to share and that's what makes this forum so lively and helpful to those newer to the area - if we all agreed it would be a very boring place indeed!

Have a good one!;)

I'm confused and am not sure what you are disagreeing with hub. I think you are referring to a RT raxi from Crown to the ferry(?) but that's not clear. I'm recommending the Red Hook ferry for a self-excursion, not downtown but that is an alternate option. We just don't recommend that unless necessary for some reason.

Maybe you're just looking at the costs between the different options? That's not a consideration for us as that's very insignificant. It's the flexibility and speed of traveling in smaller groups that gives you more time to enjoy.

But again if someone feels more comfortable or just likes the excursion option there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I would suggest the Champagne or STJ shore excursion for an even nicer day, as that's much nicer than a ferry in the open water.

The Royal Caribbean "excursion" is really nothing more than transportation. After the ferry pulls into Cruz Bay, you're on your own for the day. The kicker is that you get a very late 4:45 ferry back to the ship and a lot of beach time. We got more conservative when doing the public ferry because we had to leave room for error in catching a taxi back and catching one earlier ferry than the last one possible. This was the first ship excursion we have done in our last four cruises. We'll do this one again. I just don't see anything better about getting to St John on your own from Crown Bay.

I definitely agree with your note on the public ferry, we're not willing to bet everything on the last one back either.

One of the reasons we prefer the taxi to Red Hook and ferrying from there and back vs the ferry from town is in case there's a sea swell it's just a much shorter ferry in more protected waters. And the downtown ferry sn't always as regular. But we've done both and the downtown ferry is a good option for you, agreed.

Thanks!

I definitely agree with your note on the public ferry, we're not willing to bet everything on the last one back either.

One of the reasons we prefer the taxi to Red Hook and ferrying from there and back vs the ferry from town is in case there's a sea swell it's just a much shorter ferry in more protected waters. And the downtown ferry sn't always as regular. But we've done both and the downtown ferry is a good option for you, agreed.

Thanks!

So, is there a ferry from havensight? When we got off the cruise ship. The taxi drivers said the only ferry was in red hook?

The most popular ferry choice is the Red Hook ferry and most drivers will be taking folks there. Havensight (WICO) is the preferred port because you're on the east side of CA and the East End beaches and Red Hook are a bit closer. But there is also a ferry that departs from downtown that others sometimes use, no dock, it just parks at the harbor wall. It's a 45 min ferry to STJ and costs about the same as the taxi to RH and 15 min ferry from there.

No ferry from Havensight though...

Denamo - I definitely agree with the advice you received. Take the 4:00 pm ferry back to St. Thomas. Afternoon traffic can be heavy and you don't want to be frantic getting back to the ship.

Plus521 - there is not a ferry from Havensight. You must take a taxi to Red Hook (about a 15 - 20 min ride). Some cruise lines offer a ferry excursion to St. John but that's from Crown Bay, not Havensight.

Yes plus, just grab a taxi heading to Red Hook and it's just a 15 - 20 minute ferry from RH to Cruz Bay, total transportation cost is about $32pp roundtrip. You can then walk or taxi to a beach or take an inexpensive island tour or simply enjoy shopping Cruz Bay.

Paradise Point would be a great option for you after returning from Red Hook since you are docked at Havensight.

Enjoy!

Denamo - I definitely agree with the advice you received. Take the 4:00 pm ferry back to St. Thomas. Afternoon traffic can be heavy and you don't want to be frantic getting back to the ship.

Plus521 - there is not a ferry from Havensight. You must take a taxi to Red Hook (about a 15 - 20 min ride). Some cruise lines offer a ferry excursion to St. John but that's from Crown Bay, not Havensight.

Anne, I think this (long thread) confuses some because of the two separate towns the ships dock in St Thomas. For Havensight, taking a taxi to the ferry at Red Hook really is a great option. For Crown Bay, the Royal Caribbean excursion, which leaves right from where the ship docks and is cheap and prompt and gives you a maximum amount of time, is a great option.

Good news, Plus521 ~ you are docking at Havensight! And there is only one other ship in St. Thomas with you. It is Allure of the Seas but docking early and being at Havensight gives you an advantage. You'll be able to get to St. John long before Allure even arrives. They are scheduled to dock at Crown Bay at 10:00 AM so being two hours ahead of them is a big "plus" for you (no pun intended). The earliest folks from Allure are going to make it to St. John is likely the noon ferry.

Again, if you can get off Epic quickly (my guess is you may dock a little earlier than 8:00 AM) and make the 9:00 AM ferry, that will give you plenty of time to enjoy St. John without crowds.

The best snorkeling around St. John really isn't from the beaches but since you are there on a cruise ship you really won't have time to head out to the "best" snorkeling spots like Waterlemon. To give you a best beach to snorkel from is tough. It can often depend on the day.

I don't think Trunk has the best beach snorkeling any longer. The underwater trail is neat because it's unique but Trunk gets so many visitors that I've read that you don't see nearly the amount of different fish you used to. I'd probably recommend Cinnamon or Maho for snorkeling instead. Keep in mind, however, that Maho has limited facilities (restroom only) and you do need to make arrangements with your taxi driver to pick you up from Maho as taxis do not wait there!

Have a GREAT day on St. John!

Anne, I guess by your post I was under the impression there was a ferry at the dock when we got off the boat because you didn't mention a taxi to red hook. I'm glad to know we weren't steered in the wrong direction by the taxi guys. Your suggestion to go to Maho beach for snorkeling was awesome!! Just so other people know. 10$ per person for the taxi, 6$ for the ferry. The taxi on St. John was 9$ per person to Maho. Thanks for your help.

Host Anne, I appreciate your response. Thanks so much!