Cruising out of NYC

I Luv Crusin

We are thinking of taking a summer cruise out of New York City. We could drive the 5 hours to get there but we are thinking of flying or taking the train. We live just south of Washington, DC.

Questions

Has anyone cruised out of NYC before. How did you get there?

How far from the dock is the train station. How much for a cab?

Which airport would be easiest to get to the dock?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Fly into Newark and take airports ground transport shuttle over about $20 pp, it's a 20-25 minute ride to the port from the airport. The drive wouldn't be all that bad and it would save some bucks - well maybe not, parking at the port is steep.

WE cruised out of NYC this past June. We drove to the port and parked, so I can't help you with the other questions, I can however let you know to prepare yourself for a not-so-nice embarkation. I do think that it's great leaving from NY to save yourself airfare...but if you are planning to fly to NY...and you are spending the airfare $$$ anyway...by all means take a different cruise from another port. I believe that the city is planning an expansion to their port area which, will make future cruising out of there a bit better (I hope) but until that is done, leaving from NY is not a great experience....so if you do a cruise out of NY, just be mentally prepared.

I took amtrak from Phila to NY-- actually took amtrak from Philly to Washington, DC then to Ny- since we stayed a few days in washington before the cruise.

Got a cab after the train. very quick, very easy. it was a 5 minute cab ride. How much?? I couldnt tell you as I was so excited about getting on the ship.

Getting a cab back-- now that was something--make sure you get a cab ticket as you come out of the terminal- Cabs are not first come first serve and youwill need that numbered ticket to get a cab.

Also- another tip- if you decide to take a train-- buy reserved tickets (they cost the same) that way if you get to the train station way before your train leaves you can take the first train out and not have to wait for your train.

We live in Baltimore, and considered taking the train up for the Legend, but decided against it. Though, in my research, I can tell you the train station is ABOUT 2 and a half miles from the port. I can't help with much else though, sorry. Good luck!

WE cruised out of NYC this past June. We drove to the port and parked, so I can't help you with the other questions, I can however let you know to prepare yourself for a not-so-nice embarkation. I do think that it's great leaving from NY to save yourself airfare...but if you are planning to fly to NY...and you are spending the airfare $$$ anyway...by all means take a different cruise from another port. I believe that the city is planning an expansion to their port area which, will make future cruising out of there a bit better (I hope) but until that is done, leaving from NY is not a great experience....so if you do a cruise out of NY, just be mentally prepared.

Uh-oh - what's wrong with the port? We are coming from Texas to visit NYC and take the Legend in the summer. Is the port really that bad?? What should I be prepared for?

Maria

It's New York...everything in the port is outdated and old. It's also crowded, but that's New York. They are using the same port facilities as they used when I went to Bermuda with my Aunt in the 1960's. I was prepared, so it didn't really bother me. We did the CTN last year and took Amtrak--me from Philly and my DD from Boston. Grabbed a cab outside of Penn Station. The fare to the pier was $7 but since we only had one bag each we had him drop us off across the street from the pier.

As long as you do not expect a "state of the art" facility where everyone is bowing down to wait on you, you'll be just fine.

If you have trouble dealing with the hustle bustle of this fabulous city, then you will have trouble dealing with embarkation. It's New York, it's a little gritty and a little over the top, but just take it with a grain of salt. Personally, DH and I love every experience New York has to offer. ;)

It's New York...everything in the port is outdated and old. It's also crowded, but that's New York. They are using the same port facilities as they used when I went to Bermuda with my Aunt in the 1960's. I was prepared, so it didn't really bother me. We did the CTN last year and took Amtrak--me from Philly and my DD from Boston. Grabbed a cab outside of Penn Station. The fare to the pier was $7 but since we only had one bag each we had him drop us off across the street from the pier.

It may be time for me to learn to pack light!!!! It's for a 5 night cruise in July so it shouldn't be too difficult!

Penn Station is at 33rd Street between 7th and 8th Avenues; the passenger ship terminal is at 55th Street and 12th Avenue. It's an easy trip by cab and should probably run between $7 and $10 depending on traffic. (Just cost me $4.50 yesterday to go from 46th Street/Broadway to Penn Station.) I found debarcation more troublesome than embarcation - mostly because there was only one ship in port when we left and three when we returned!

The trains run regularly between NYC and DC, and service varies between "regular" trains that make all of the stops to Metroliner and Acela Express trains that stop only at the large stations. I travel Amtrak frequently between Albany and NYC and generally have a good experience.

Uh-oh - what's wrong with the port? We are coming from Texas to visit NYC and take the Legend in the summer. Is the port really that bad?? What should I be prepared for?

Maria

The port is old and way too small to handle the crowds. There were 4 ships sailing on the day we left (one being the QM) and the swarms of people in the port would make any person who is claustrophopbic have a heart attack on the spot.

We were unfortunate enough to be slightly delayed in embarking because people debarking on the previous cruise hadn't settled their sign and sail accounts. :rolleyes: We were supposed to sail at 4pm and didn't leave the dock until after 5:30.

BUT..as bad as it was, I did 'forget' it the moment I stepped on the ship and downed the drink of the day...... :D and it was spectacular seeing the Statue of Liberty as we sailed past...but would I do it again? In a word, no. I didn't dwell on the embarkation once I was aboard, but I disliked it enough not to want to repeat it. My best advise to you would be to NOT get there early like we did. The wait in those crowds was just awful. Get there an hour before your departure time. We got there at noon, thinking we'd get a few hours on the ship before it sailed.....not to be. We were stuck in that blasted building for hours.

Carnival signed a deal with NYC 2 weeks ago to sail out of Brooklyn. I read that they are hoping to start sailing by the end of 2005, this is just some of the story that was on ABC news.

"One of our most important economic development goals is to restore the greatness of New York City's waterfront , and nowhere is that transformation occurring faster than in Brooklyn," said Mayor Bloomberg. "As I said yesterday in the State of the City address, two of the world's largest cruise companies, the Norwegian and Carnival Cruise Ship lines, have committed to New York as their exclusive Northeastern port of call through 2017.=

Once These new pier;s open , than they will start work on the Manhatten piers.

The NYC pier is one pier where you need to follow the rules. If they ask you not to arrive till 1, don't get there at 11. With 1000s getting off a ship and 1000s trying to get on its not a nice place to be, NYC is a small pier, it's not Ft Laud, with their 5 different termnials, everyone in NYC is going to the same terminal.

Thanks, Halos, for the advice and for all of you for letting us know. It sounds like a logistical nightmare if all the cruise ships use one single place and thousands of people are all there at one time. I will definitely bring my patience and not show up early, as I usually tend to do.

Thanks again!

Maria

Maria,

One good thing for us is it LOOKS like we are the only ship in port that day. Coming in or going out. So, hopefully that'll help.

If that works out to be true...then you have no worries!!! I hope you are the only ship! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!

Thanks, me too. I looked at the schedule at the NYPST website, and as of right now, on Monday, they only have the Legend listed.

I'm crossing mine, keep yours crossed too. I'm hoping it won't be such a nightmare.

:o

SOmething else to keep in mind: If you arrive NYC by train, you

will be confused when you get off the train and you must carry

all your luggage. There are a FEW porters, but they are hard to

find sometimes. You need to go upstairs then find signs to 7th

or 8th avenues to find taxis. If you are thirsty or hungry, eat

at Penn Station before going to the port. At least pick up some

drinks to carry with you. Use the bathrooms on the train

before you get off, or use the public rest rooms near the Amtrack

waiting room in Penn Station.

If you arrive at an airport, I recommend you find a limo service

to take you to the port, so you get help with luggage. Otherwise,

you can take a big shared bus to a common place (such as the

port authority) and then take a taxi. The cheap way (hey, you're

going on a cruise, don't take the cheap way) is to take the

various connections to the trains into Penn Station or if you are

brave, the subway (luggage on a subway - I've done that, but

it's NOT fun). Finally, you can take a taxi and make that cabbie's

income for the day.

If you drive to the NYC port, you are insane! If I were to do that I

would pick an outlying hotel on a train route, and park there while

gone.

Airports: LaGuardia is not convenient to anything. JFK would be

closest to the new Brooklynn port. Newark is closest to Manhattan

westside port. All 3 airports can be the same, or any one can be best

or worst at any time depending on what bridge or tunnel has bad

traffic.

Thanks, me too. I looked at the schedule at the NYPST website, and as of right now, on Monday, they only have the Legend listed.

I'm crossing mine, keep yours crossed too. I'm hoping it won't be such a nightmare.

:o

Laura,

That's right - we're leaving on a Monday instead of a Saturday or Sunday, so it may just be that we are the only ship in port....or at least we'll notice a huge difference than those arriving and leaving on a Sunday.

Haven't figured out how we're going to get to the port from the hotel. I need to think about that one!

Maria

Archived