hotel near termini, safe to walk there at night?

Tennant

We are staying post-cruise in a hotel near termini for two nights. Are we safe to walk back to our hotel at night? Are we safe to take the metro and bus at night? I think so, but I never actually read much either way so I figured I would ask...

We stayed near the train station and the Colliseum last summer. There were LOTS of people out walking around at night, and we (2 females) did not feel particularly unsafe. We walked back from dinner at Piazza Navona and viewed all the sites lit up at night. Of course it's always wise to take the normal precautions (money belt, no dark alleyways, staying where there are other people around, etc.). There were several street vendors selling tripods to tourists taking night photographs.

We stayed at a B&B about halfway between Termini and the Colosseum. It seemed pretty safe at night to me, though we weren't out past nine or so. There were always a few people out and about. I was with my husband.

The area closer to the Termini was a little more scruffy-looking, but with common sense should be okay. We walked through it in the daytime with no problems. We never felt afraid in Rome, saw any indication of pick pockets, etc., but we did keep aware of our surroundings.

I am glad to read that others have had no issues staying in this area. We are staying close to Termini next week pre cruise. We chose the b&b Momi because we needed a family size room for 5 and we wanted to be close to the Colosseum area. The Momi is within walking distance of Termini so for us that is a plus because I imagine taxis for 5 are harder to come by.

diane

Glad to hear no one thinks this will be an issue. We are staying near termini bc we are taking the train in and out and wanted to be able to walk with carry-on luggage from station to hotel. We may be taking the metro home at night, is the metro safe at night?

Archived