Big Changes for Allure of the Seas: Sister Ship But NOT a Carbon Copy!

I'm wondering if the iPod dock will allow a guest's iPod to be played through speakers in the stateroom, or if it is just for charging purposes only.

Also wondering if they will rename Park Café if they're moving it up to Boardwalk.

Things that make you go "Hmmm..."

I don't believe they are moving the Park Cafe. The article said they wanted a casual, free food venue for the Boardwalk neighborhood, just as the Central Park area has Park Cafe. The new venue will be the hot dog place. Park Cafe will still be in Central Park.

This is SO exciting! I must sail on both Oasis and Allure now. And Liberty is getting a broadway show now too!? So cool!

I think I heard Freedom and Liberty were also getting big screen TV's by the pool too. That would be cool!

Cruised on Oasis in February and loved her but thought I probably wouldn't cruise on Allure any time soon. This article with the new tweaks have probably changed my mind. I'll have to start looking at the itinerary now.:)

Same here...we loved our Oasis cruise, but didn't think much about sailing Allure until I read the article too.

We booked last night for the 5 night itinerary in Jan 2012. :D I know it will be too short, but at least it's a less expensive way to get on board.

Great article!! Good to see the Boardwalk is getting some attention....when we were on Oasis last December, we did notice the Boardwalk was rather empty and sad:o We never even set foot in the Seafood Shack, just wasn't crazy about the $9 cover charge. Am totally excited about Rita's Cantina and the Dog House!!

Ya know, those big screens that are located at the Aqua-theater should be used for showing outdoor movies in the evening...watching outdoor movies have always been our favorite thing to do...anywhere!! It just seemed such a waste on the Oasis when all they had on those screens (when there's no water show) were still images:( we love going to the movies, so this change would be awesome!! Hey, RCI...are ya reading these boards??? LOL!!!:D:D

oh, and did I say I love the cantina and free-food idea??!!

Great

Ya know, those big screens that are located at the Aqua-theater should be used for showing outdoor movies in the evening...watching outdoor movies have always been our favorite thing to do...anywhere!! It just seemed such a waste on the Oasis when all they had on those screens (when there's no water show) were still images:( we love going to the movies, so this change would be awesome!! Hey, RCI...are ya reading these boards??? LOL!!!:D:D

/quote]

ITA, and I mentioned that on my post-cruise evaluation form. And I think RCCL may be listening to their pax, because I read one of Lisa's posts on Adam's blog, and I believe she said they have indeed begun using those screens for movies and sporting events. I recall something about family movie nights, the Super Bowl, and plans to show World Cup soccer.

Great article!! Good to see the Boardwalk is getting some attention....when we were on Oasis last December, we did notice the Boardwalk was rather empty and sad:o We never even set foot in the Seafood Shack, just wasn't crazy about the $9 cover charge. Am totally excited about Rita's Cantina and the Dog House!!

They did show movies on those large screens. The NFL playoff games were also shown. At least they did on my sailing.

I don't believe they are moving the Park Cafe. The article said they wanted a casual, free food venue for the Boardwalk neighborhood, just as the Central Park area has Park Cafe. The new venue will be the hot dog place. Park Cafe will still be in Central Park.

Thanks I was just getting ready to ask if the venue on the Boardwalk would be in addition to the Park Cafe and NOT replacing it. Just off the Oasis today and loved the Park Cafe but want to try Allure next

We were on the Oasis for Super Bowl this year and they did show it in the Aqua-theater. They also served shimp, wings and some other finger foods. It was a blast:). I agree some movies or video concerts would be cool.

that is AWESOME!!! I cannot wait 'til our trip this December! Thanks for the update guys:D:D:D oh, i hope there's popcorn available for the outdoor movies...omg, this news just totally made my evening...woohooo, did i say we looove outdoor movies?? lol !! We used to have a drive-in movie theater just right across from our house, but since it's now a Wal-Mart, we haven't found any of those drive-in anywhere by us :o...AWESOME!!

Am I the only one who found this extremely funny???

We appreciated the humour also, he he very funny...

I would so love to travel on Alllure one day, but we live in the UK and that involves flying, of which I have a real fear of... :eek:

Mark x

We were very disappointed to find out that our January 16 2011 cruise on Allure of the Seas will NOT be going to Jamaica.

The second stop is now Costa Maya Mexico(which is a cargo port) and will be the substitute for Jamaica for all Allure and Oasis western caribbean cruises until October 2011.

Wouldn't you think that a cruise line like Royal Caribbean would see that the subsituted stop on a caribbean cruise would actually be in the caribbean, not another stop in Mexico only a few hundred miles from Cozumel ?

We have contacted Royal Caribbean and were told that our travel agent should have notified us of the change, however our travel agent wasn’t notified by Royal Caribbean but by a member of our group.

Royal Caribbean has the right to change itinerary, but shouldn’t they notify us or at least note it on their website ?

They are offering no compensation whatsoever. Not even a free drink, for having a years anticipated cruise to stop at a shipping port in Mexico.

We have been advised to stay on the ship in Costa Maya unless we have a pre-arranged outing planned because of it being a cargo port.

VERY POOR CHOICE OF A STOP ROYAL CARIBBEAN

Thanks for stopping at an industrial shipping port instead of Falmouth Jamaica or an island thats actually in the caribbean.

schowbike@yahoo.com

We were very disappointed to find out that our January 16 2011 cruise on Allure of the Seas will NOT be going to Jamaica.

The second stop is now Costa Maya Mexico(which is a cargo port) and will be the substitute for Jamaica for all Allure and Oasis western caribbean cruises until october 2011.

Wouldn't you think that a cruise line like Royal Caribbean would see that the subsituted stop on a caribbean cruise would actually be in the caribbean, not another stop in mexico only a few hundred miles from Cozumel ?

We have contacted Royal Caribbean and were told that our travel agent should have notified us of the change, however our travel agent wasn’t notified by Royal Caribbean but by myself.

Royal Caribbean has the right to change itinerary, but shouldn’t they notify us or at least note it on their website ?

They are offering no compensation whatsoever. not even a free drink, for having a years anticipated cruise to stop at a shipping port in Mexico.

We have been advised to stay on the ship in Costa Maya unless we have a pre-arranged outing planned because of it being a cargo port.

Thanks for stopping at an industrial shipping port instead of Falmouth Jamaica or an island thats actually in the caribbean.

schowbike@yahoo.com

Unfortunately, and it may be something that RCI had no control over, Falmouth, Jamaica's development as a cruise port is well behind schedule. You are talking about a cruise that is still more than several months away and I'm not sure how early you expect them to notify you of the change. There could be other changes between now and then. From what I have read many cruise ships stop in Costa Maya and I have seen favorable reviews from many cruisers. We have docked in industrial shipping ports (Dublin, La Guaira, Le Havre etc.) on many cruises and while I would not care to spend much time in and around the ship at those ports, there has always been transportation available to transfer us to more tourist-oriented locations.

Costa Maya isn't a cargo port, unless I was missing something all the times I've been there.

Thanks for the clarification. Not having been there I was at a disadvantage and took this first time poster at his word. As I did say, however, we have docked at cargo ports on occasions and had no complaints.

Costa Maya is a small cruise ship resort. Never seen a cargo ship there. As they have no cranes and it's in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't expect to see one! Unless the cargo they get is over-priced souvenirs (which they have in abundance). It can be difficult to dock there sometimes because the pier is really exposed to the sea. There's a local village, which has a nice beach that's about 10 mins away. Transport is easy to come by and reasonably priced. You can also make the trip out to the ruins. Only issue I have is that I've never really found anywhere that good to eat there.

Has most things that Jamaica can offer, except for that feeling of terror and dread whenever you walk around a Jamaican town.

All things considered, I'd rather go to Costa Mya.

The second stop is now Costa Maya Mexico(which is a cargo port) and will be the substitute for Jamaica for all Allure and Oasis western caribbean cruises until October 2011.

Wouldn't you think that a cruise line like Royal Caribbean would see that the subsituted stop on a caribbean cruise would actually be in the caribbean, not another stop in Mexico only a few hundred miles from Cozumel ?

We have contacted Royal Caribbean and were told that our travel agent should have notified us of the change, however our travel agent wasn’t notified by Royal Caribbean but by a member of our group.

They are offering no compensation whatsoever. Not even a free drink, for having a years anticipated cruise to stop at a shipping port in Mexico.

schowbike@yahoo.com

The itinerary changed several months ago.

Costa Maya is a small cruise ship resort. Never seen a cargo ship there. As they have no cranes and it's in the middle of nowhere, I wouldn't expect to see one! Unless the cargo they get is over-priced souvenirs (which they have in abundance). It can be difficult to dock there sometimes because the pier is really exposed to the sea. There's a local village, which has a nice beach that's about 10 mins away. Transport is easy to come by and reasonably priced. You can also make the trip out to the ruins. Only issue I have is that I've never really found anywhere that good to eat there.

Has most things that Jamaica can offer, except for that feeling of terror and dread whenever you walk around a Jamaican town.

All things considered, I'd rather go to Costa Mya.

thanks for the information. that makes us feel more at ease about costa maya than jamaica.

Archived