Oil Spill

Every week the forecasts change as to which cities or ports MIGHT be affected first. Someone posted some blogger last night which said Key West MIGHT be the first affected. .. assuming you accept a blogger as a official enough source ...

Im still wondering why it could affect the announcement of the home port for Magic 18 months from now. Surely BP will start getting a handle on the oil by then. Yes, I think it will affect wild life, fish and plants between now and then .. but a ship's home port placement 18 months from now???

I must be a optimist.

No, you are a realist. The person who made that post is "quoting" a PVP making it third hand info from an unknown source. BS meter is boiling smoke out of it. :)

It shouldn't affect the announcement for the Magic as we all KNOW it is coming to Galveston!!!;) Yeah the 18 month thing seems a little far fetched. I usually don't worry about things like this as what happens happens and we just go from there, but I guess after spending so much for a cruise and a get away that only happens for us once a year just the thought of seeing black water the whole cruise can get kind of upsetting to say the least.

I feel so sorry for all the fisherman and everyone that is losing their living over this right now. It also breaks my heart about all the wildlife and all the perserves that are being ruined because of this mess.

The oil won't be black. It'll be a reddish brown. Nastier looking than if it was black.

Just the smart arse answer I should've known I was going to get!! YOU are exactly the reason people don't want to ask any questions on these boards. So sad honestly.....

BTW...I never asked you pull out your CRYSTAL BALL and look in it. I guess I was looking for an answer from someone that might actually know what can happen with oil spills and the ramifications of the spill itself.

You can smile now as you have pi--ed me off!!;) Job well done!!

Yes, snarkey replys, but true none the less. There is no way of knowing how is is going to effect certain areas in 6 WEEKS let alone 6 MONTHS. You can only take the info you have now and book/don't book/change ships/cancel. This is the old 'I'm cruising in october, will there be a hurricane?' question asked in May. It is un-answerable, the best you will get are guesses.

The most likely scenario will that there will be a massive die off of marine life.Everyone is concerned about the stuff washing up on shore, but a bigger concern is the oil you don't see deep in the ocean.Microbes will eat that stuff up, depleting the oxygen in the water. When that happens say goodby to the

ocean. You might still have blue water and dolphins, but this time if you see a dolphin, it will be bloated,floating upside down.

I was debating a month ago whether to cruise southen carrib next summer, or take a break from cruising and spend a week in Kona. Kona is starting to make more sense.

Yes, snarkey replys, but true none the less. There is no way of knowing how is is going to effect certain areas in 6 WEEKS let alone 6 MONTHS. You can only take the info you have now and book/don't book/change ships/cancel. This is the old 'I'm cruising in october, will there be a hurricane?' question asked in May. It is un-answerable, the best you will get are guesses.

Thank you for answering in a kind way. If no one knows that is fine...it was just a question. I just hate all the "snarkey replys" that have been on this form lately. That is exactly why I just lurk most all the time except on my roll call!! Thanks for your answer!;)

The most likely scenario will that there will be a massive die off of marine life.Everyone is concerned about the stuff washing up on shore, but a bigger concern is the oil you don't see deep in the ocean.Microbes will eat that stuff up, depleting the oxygen in the water. When that happens say goodby to the

ocean. You might still have blue water and dolphins, but this time if you see a dolphin, it will be bloated,floating upside down.

I was debating a month ago whether to cruise southen carrib next summer, or take a break from cruising and spend a week in Kona. Kona is starting to make more sense.

That is it. Everything in the ocean will die and the sea will be black. Birds will all die, and the water in the pools will be mostly oil because they pump in sea water. The drinking water will be about 20% oil after it's desalinized. There will be consant fires at sea and soot/smoke pretty much everyday. Way to not over react. Enjoy your 'swimming with the dead bloated dolphins' excursion.

It shouldn't affect the announcement for the Magic as we all KNOW it is coming to Galveston!!!;) Yeah the 18 month thing seems a little far fetched. I usually don't worry about things like this as what happens happens and we just go from there, but I guess after spending so much for a cruise and a get away that only happens for us once a year just the thought of seeing black water the whole cruise can get kind of upsetting to say the least.

I feel so sorry for all the fisherman and everyone that is losing their living over this right now. It also breaks my heart about all the wildlife and all the perserves that are being ruined because of this mess.

There is almost no possibility I can think of where you could see oily water for the whole cruise ....it will not spread to all the water for a whole cruise, pretty impossible.

The oil is light crude, not the heavy crude that spilled in Alaska, thats why it wouldnt look black. Its reddish brown from the pictures. We went close enough someone with a 9C aft wrap said she smelled it the last night before we entered the Mississippi River. This was last Friday night.

There is almost no possibility I can think of where you could see oily water for the whole cruise ....it will not spread to all the water for a whole cruise, pretty impossible.

The oil is light crude, not the heavy crude that spilled in Alaska, thats why it wouldnt look black. Its reddish brown from the pictures. We went close enough someone with a 9C aft wrap said she smelled it the last night before we entered the Mississippi River. This was last Friday night.

Thanks for answering! I will do what I do about hurricane season. Don't worry about it until it is making land fall in Corpus Christi...then worry as so many things can change. Thanks for all the sincere answers!! Much appreciated!

Thanks for answering! I will do what I do about hurricane season. Don't worry about it until it is making land fall in Corpus Christi...then worry as so many things can change. Thanks for all the sincere answers!! Much appreciated!

Truely the smartest thing you can do. Just too many variables in the world to worry about them all!

That is it. Everything in the ocean will die and the sea will be black. Birds will all die, and the water in the pools will be mostly oil because they pump in sea water. The drinking water will be about 20% oil after it's desalinized. There will be consant fires at sea and soot/smoke pretty much everyday. Way to not over react. Enjoy your 'swimming with the dead bloated dolphins' excursion.

The above message was brought to you by your friends at British Petroleum.Millions of gallons of toxic oil won't kill the life in the ocean, you can trust us on that.For those lamenting the possibility of the oil killing off all life in the area where we get 1/3 of our seafood, we suggest you start eating more pork- it's the other white meat.

The uncertainty is a big part of the concern right now as to how this will affect the cruise industry in the region. I am sure Carnival management is very busy trying to determine what operational issues might come up and what can be done about them.

There are other issues besides having to clean oil off the hull, or the unpleasantness of sailing through smelly waters. What about the water systems? The water purification systems are not designed to deal with petroleum contaminants in the intake water. How do they keep the stuff out of the water inlets if they have to sail through the stuff? Or the water intakes that supply sea water for the pools for that matter? These are the kinds of things the people who run the ships have to consider.

I think within a couple of weeks a clearer picture should start to emerge. In the meanwhile I certainly wouldn't be canceling cruises on this account. Just be aware that there could be some adjustments to itineraries and such... something that happens for various reasons anyway.

BTW, this mess is now in the Loop Current and is clearly visible in satellite images. If you want to see where it is, and read the current discussion on Dr. Jeff Masters Blog at Weather Underground click here... http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1483

If you would rather not think about it, then don't click! :D

I personally would rather be informed.

OP, you are not supposed to touch this subject if you do not wish the wrath of the Oil Spill Thread Police upon you. People who ask about this are alarmist radicals and there are already thousands of threads on the subject (I have seen maybe 3 or 4 threads).

Shame on you!:D

No it has not affected a cruise YET, but tar balls have begun washing up on Key West beaches this morning, so we shall probably find out what effect this has soon enough.

the article I read (and I already know, you can't always trust what you read in the press, so...) said "the scientists" are analyzing the tar balls to see if they are even from this oil spill (not sure how they can tell....but I'm sure they will say they are sure...). Sure wish the press, etc. would wait until there is something "concrete" to report before reporting.

The so called experts are generally of two schools, the doom and gloom folks and the head in the sand side. Look at the different reactions of the Governors of Mississippi and Louisiana. One says it is not a major concern and everything is going to be alright and begging the tourist to come on down and the other says that all life on the planet is going to be destroyed, mobilized the National Guard and actually telling tourist to stay out the area.

Over dramatic on my part, of course it is. But that is how people are playing this out. The truth and proper reaction is somewhere in the middle. Every forecast of the situation has been wrong so far. No one has a clue how this is going to turn out.

We have idiots down here in my area filling law suits for the most insane of reasons. One lives on the water front in Ocean Springs, she is suing because she is no longer able to enjoy the view out of her million dollar front window because all she can think of is all oil washing ashore (no oil has washed ashore in Ocean Springs).

Another has a private salt water fishing license. He is suffering mental distress and PTSD because he cannot enjoy his favorite pastime (no waters in this area have been closed to private or charter fishing, commercial off shore further out only and some of those areas have been reopened).

We will just have to all settle down and just see how it plays out. Hopefully it will have minumun effect on cruises and cruise schedules. But if it does we should just roll with it and try to understand the cruises lines response when and if it happens.

The above message was brought to you by your friends at British Petroleum.Millions of gallons of toxic oil won't kill the life in the ocean, you can trust us on that.For those lamenting the possibility of the oil killing off all life in the area where we get 1/3 of our seafood, we suggest you start eating more pork- it's the other white meat.

Not an emplyee of BP, just a shareholder. And only in the last week, yield over 7%, how can you lose? Sorry for being the heartless investor.......

And I do like pork, just wasn't impressed with the Jerk Pork in the MDR....

I am watching this very nervously because I am scheduled to leave from Mobile this Saturday on the Elation. The oil spill looks to have now entered the loop currents which can carry the oil around Florida and up the east coast according the the Weather Channel this morning. But what that means for cruises is anyone's guess. But the environmental damage will be catastrophic in the long run.:(

You are worried about your cruise on Elation to Progreso and Cozumel? Those areas are far, far out of the path of the oil spill and will be fine. It is Carnival's job to worry about navigating around the oily area leaving and returning, so let them deal with that matter. They are good at what they do.

You are going to have a great time, so stop worrying. ;)

I'm in no hurry to buy any new cruises out of New Orleans or Mobile...but hey...that's just me.

:)

I guess you're in no hurry to buy any cruises out Tampa, Miami, Ft Lauderdale, Cape Canaveral, Charleston, Baltimore, New York/New Jersey, or Boston either since none of those ports are out of the woods yet and may not be for months if the oil gets into the Loop Current and later in the Gulf Stream! Come to think of it, you might as well rule out Galveston too since there's always the possibility that the oil could move westward also in the future:rolleyes:

Has anyone heard of any cruises affected by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico? The news tonight said it is going to be going around Florida into the Keys and up the coast.

For what its worth, no signs of oil or tarballs or anything yet on our beach (yet anyways) here between Tampa and Fort Myers :) .

The local news as of this morning did say some tarballs were found around Keywest area :(

I'm still holding my head high tho for carnival freedom cruise on 9/25/10 heading to Cozumel,Costa Rica and Panama !!!!

I'm in no hurry to buy any new cruises out of New Orleans or Mobile...but hey...that's just me. (ones that I did not buy months ago)

I cruise on Elation next week, 27 May, out of Mobile.

:)

Your loss, my gain... bet thats why I got a last minute deal on the 7 day Triumph last week for $389 :D ... lots on the roll call got price drops.. we loved the cruise and everyone was happy with more $$$ for DODs.

For what its worth, no signs of oil or tarballs or anything yet on our beach (yet anyways) here between Tampa and Fort Myers :) .

The local news as of this morning did say some tarballs were found around Keywest area :(

I'm still holding my head high tho for carnival freedom cruise on 9/25/10 heading to Cozumel,Costa Rica and Panama !!!!

That is what we are on June 4th..:D

Your loss, my gain... bet thats why I got a last minute deal on the 7 day Triumph last week for $389 :D ... lots on the roll call got price drops.. we loved the cruise and everyone was happy with more $$$ for DODs.

You did well taking that cruise when you did. Tonight they are reporting heavy oil in South Pass. :(

Archived