Oil Spill

My PVP just told me that Carnival is holding off announcement of the Magic's home port because of the oil spill. They are waiting to see what ports will still be open in the future since most ports on the Gulf coast will be ruined.

My PVP just told me that Carnival is holding off announcement of the Magic's home port because of the oil spill. They are waiting to see what ports will still be open in the future since most ports on the Gulf coast will be ruined.

OK, speaking of alarmists.:rolleyes:

LMAO!! Good one. :rolleyes:

After talking with some of the officers on the Fantasy last week....it seems their biggest concern is the unknown.

They have never taken a cruise ship through this type of crude or this much crude. They just don't know how it might affect the various mechanical components of the ship.

They really don't want to find out, if they can avoid it.....

After talking with some of the officers on the Fantasy last week....it seems their biggest concern is the unknown.

They have never taken a cruise ship through this type of crude or this much crude. They just don't know how it might affect the various mechanical components of the ship.

They really don't want to find out, if they can avoid it.....

That makes a lot more sense to me than some second hand reported alarmists statement contributed to a PVP. I know that I would not want to sail my boat thru it.;)

That makes a lot more sense to me than some second hand reported alarmists statement contributed to a PVP. I know that I would not want to sail my boat thru it.;)

My PVP got his information from someone in Miami who is in charge of ship placement. :D

OP, you are not supposed to touch this subject if you do not wish the wrath of the Oil Spill Thread Police upon you. People who ask about this are alarmist radicals and there are already thousands of threads on the subject (I have seen maybe 3 or 4 threads).

Shame on you!:D

No it has not affected a cruise YET, but tar balls have begun washing up on Key West beaches this morning, so we shall probably find out what effect this has soon enough.

Not Galveston!!!!!!

OP, you are not supposed to touch this subject if you do not wish the wrath of the Oil Spill Thread Police upon you. People who ask about this are alarmist radicals and there are already thousands of threads on the subject (I have seen maybe 3 or 4 threads).

Shame on you!:D

No it has not affected a cruise YET, but tar balls have begun washing up on Key West beaches this morning, so we shall probably find out what effect this has soon enough.

Funny you say the Oil Spill police! I have reframed from asking because I don't want sarcastic answers, but I will ask anyway. My cruise is in November to the Bahamas and Key West...even if the oil gets caught in the current and carried to the Atlantic (or as you were saying it is already there) what could the problems be in 6 months from now. I want to go to the Bahamas for the beautiful blue waters. I don't want to see black water the whole time I am there. Do I have anything to worry about? :confused:

Funny you say the Oil Spill police! I have reframed from asking because I don't want sarcastic answers, but I will ask anyway. My cruise is in November to the Bahamas and Key West...even if the oil gets caught in the current and carried to the Atlantic (or as you were saying it is already there) what could the problems be in 6 months from now. I want to go to the Bahamas for the beautiful blue waters. I don't want to see black water the whole time I am there. Do I have anything to worry about? :confused:

Let me pull out my crystal ball. That's about the best chance you have of knowing what sea conditions will be like in 6 months.

Let me pull out my crystal ball. That's about the best chance you have of knowing what sea conditions will be like in 6 months.

Just the smart arse answer I should've known I was going to get!! YOU are exactly the reason people don't want to ask any questions on these boards. So sad honestly.....

BTW...I never asked you pull out your CRYSTAL BALL and look in it. I guess I was looking for an answer from someone that might actually know what can happen with oil spills and the ramifications of the spill itself.

You can smile now as you have pi--ed me off!!;) Job well done!!

Just the smart arse answer I should've known I was going to get!! YOU are exactly the reason people don't want to ask any questions on these boards. So sad honestly.....

BTW...I never asked you pull out your CRYSTAL BALL and look in it. I guess I was looking for an answer from someone that might actually know what can happen with oil spills and the ramifications of the spill itself.

You can smile now as you have pi--ed me off!!;) Job well done!!

Please show me a person that has experience with this unprecedented disaster...AND can look 6 months into the future. :rolleyes:

I am watching this very nervously because I am scheduled to leave from Mobile this Saturday on the Elation. The oil spill looks to have now entered the loop currents which can carry the oil around Florida and up the east coast according the the Weather Channel this morning. But what that means for cruises is anyone's guess. But the environmental damage will be catastrophic in the long run.:(

Every week the forecasts change as to which cities or ports MIGHT be affected first. Someone posted some blogger last night which said Key West MIGHT be the first affected. .. assuming you accept a blogger as a official enough source ...

Im still wondering why it could affect the announcement of the home port for Magic 18 months from now. Surely BP will start getting a handle on the oil by then. Yes, I think it will affect wild life, fish and plants between now and then .. but a ship's home port placement 18 months from now???

I must be a optimist.

I am watching this very nervously because I am scheduled to leave from Mobile this Saturday on the Elation. The oil spill looks to have now entered the loop currents which can carry the oil around Florida and up the east coast according the the Weather Channel this morning. But what that means for cruises is anyone's guess. But the environmental damage will be catastrophic in the long run.:(

btw its the Mexican Loop, it has not entered the Florida loop. Just to be specific.

At least right now its going away from Mobile. I came back on Saturday to New Orleans and so far people on the cruises dont seem that alarmed. I think you should be unaffected. At worst you might go thru a area where you can smell the oil.

Every week the forecasts change as to which cities or ports MIGHT be affected first. Someone posted some blogger last night which said Key West MIGHT be the first affected. .. assuming you accept a blogger as a official enough source ...

Im still wondering why it could affect the announcement of the home port for Magic 18 months from now. Surely BP will start getting a handle on the oil by then. Yes, I think it will affect wild life, fish and plants between now and then .. but a ship's home port placement 18 months from now???

I must be a optimist.

It shouldn't affect the announcement for the Magic as we all KNOW it is coming to Galveston!!!;) Yeah the 18 month thing seems a little far fetched. I usually don't worry about things like this as what happens happens and we just go from there, but I guess after spending so much for a cruise and a get away that only happens for us once a year just the thought of seeing black water the whole cruise can get kind of upsetting to say the least.

I feel so sorry for all the fisherman and everyone that is losing their living over this right now. It also breaks my heart about all the wildlife and all the perserves that are being ruined because of this mess.

Archived