Can I bring Wine in a Box?

TexasMommy

Just off the Dream. We had a party of 10, so I wanted to bring enough wine.

At check in there was only my wife and two children. I put in my carry on a black box or wine and a 1.5 lt bottle or wine. They partly opened the bag and closed it, and on my way with the equal of 6 bottles.

I, too, um, know someone who has taken boxed wine on Carnival. (Also Celebrity.) In Miami and Tampa. This person puts the box inside her beach bag in her suitcase. When this person gets aboard she siphons some of the wine into a gallon zip lock bag which then can be put on top of the canned drinks in the fridge to stay cold. Obviously the attendant knew about this. Box wine is very good and one doesn't have to worry about bottles breaking. That being said, this person's husband takes scotch aboard....and its not in a box... These fine people also drink lots of DODs and margaritas that they honestly and virtuously pay the cruise line for.

we were on the Liberty last year...in September...my sisters flew in to Miami...my husband drove me down to Miami..with an extra suitcase just for the wine...

so no...I have never had a problem because I can put it in the luggage..I have cruised a lot...

the porters told us that they do not have time to check all bags and what they are really looking for are drugs...well..hell...I don't do drugs...but I do like my wine...

long story short...we got our boxed wine on board without a problem...

hope this helps...I have been I don't know how many cruises...and always got the wine through...

just my own experience

my sisters and I cruise every year...it's the best time in my life to be with them...they live in Minneapolis and I live in FL...so this is our special time together and we have so much fun...

looking forward to Oct..

Cathy:D

On my last cruise the outside of my Aunt's suitcase was drenched in red wine when it was delivered to our room. It was a pale gray fabric suitcase that she has just bought for our trip. It was a mess. Even the inside smelled and felt slightly damp. Luckily it didn't leak through. Someone had obviously not packed their red wine very well. Whether it's liquor or wine you're taking aboard legally or sneaking on, pls. put it in a sturdy ziplock bag or something to spare others this problem. Being the sweetie that my aunt is, her first words were, "some poor soul probably has a whole suitcase full of ruined clothes". As for me, I kept looking around all week for someone in wine stained clothes! LOL

Does Princess allow you to carry on wine? What about Celebrity?

NCL charges you $9 per bottle to bring your own on board, a corking fee. Each bottle they put a little sticker on it showing that you paid. On one cruise out of Miami they kept the suitcase of my someone in our party so that they had to come and claim it instead of delivering it to the room. They said that they believed wine was in the suitcase and made her open it for them. They took it and and gave it back the night before the end of the cruise.

They also took the liquor I had purchased in St Martin & Thomas, returned on the last night. Except for the vodka that I poured into my water bottle.

Do what one of our members did years ago . . . wrap the wine box in a pretty box with lavish paper and ribbons . . . attach a card very visible as you hold it while continuing through security.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CAPTAIN ________

Carry it in your hands as you go through security, as you would a very precious thoughtful gift. :rolleyes:

Best case scenario: You get your wine onboard, you saved yourself 60-80 bucks and are happy forever more, recounting many times the joy you experienced on your balcony that cruise. :)

Worst case scenario: Carnival employees alert the bomb squad, Homeland Security arrives and isolates the box, the entire ship is searched for any "accompolices" while you remain cuffed in front of 3000 passengers with local tv stations all over the place, the ship leaves 6 hours late. In order to cover their own miscalculations, somewhat embarrassed Homeland Security when they finally discover that the "bomb" is a box of wine, retaliate, falsifying the reports, and put you on a watch list and you and your family can't fly or cruise for the rest of your life. :rolleyes:

(the member I'm thinking about, did this with two 12-packs of beer) :D

I'm starting to think it may not work. I went to http://www.blackboxwines.com which is one of the brands that is supposed to be really good. (Yes, I know Wine in a Box conjures up all kinds of negative sterotypes...but the quality is supposed to be quite good on some brands.)

Anyway...one box is equiv. to 4 bottles of wine. Since my 2 kids won't count towards our wine count....I guess we'll be 2 bottles over.

Maybe...I know I'll get flamed...I'll pack it in suitcase anyway...and if they confiscate it...they confiscate it...I'll get it back at the end of the cruise and enjoy back at home.

Just wondered if anyone had experiences with it.

I have brought it before in my checked luggage and it always got through. I took it out of the box and put the plastic bag into to other plastic bags, just in case anything leaked. I have done this twice on another cruise line and it has always gone through with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with many of these answers that say "you will have no problem. I did it and they never said a word" is that they likely cruised BEFORE the big crack-down on smuggled alcohol. Sure, 2 years ago (over last year, whatever...) you could bring all sorts of stuff on and no one said anything. Did it myself with no problems.

However, it seems RECENTLY they are taking a much closer look at what you are bringing and many more people are having alcohol confiscated than before. Nothing has changed except they are enforcing the rules that have always existed. (I know... bummer !)

Plus, different ports seem to have different answers - I hear Miami is really cracking down while maybe smaller ports aren't being quite a vigilant or perhaps don't have the same sophisticated equipement as the larger ports so what worked in say JAX won't necessarily work in MIA...

Then there's the answer from the Carnival agent at Funville who said 'sure no problem' :rolleyes:... I bet if someone else asks again tomorrow, they'll get a different answer. The problem is there's really no way to argue your case on board if it does get confiscated since the rules do say 750ml per person...

Packing it in your checked luggage will not help as many people have recommended because the NEW scanners that certain ports have can detect liquid. They scan you bags, see something suspicious and you have to claim your bags from the naughty room (or they remove the alcohol and leave you a note).

I would LOVE to know the real answer as well since 2 bottles of wine for my 7 day cruise is just a little short. I'd love to bring on a box - that would be the perfect size. I think it's hit or miss - depending on who scans your bags. That being said, I think I'll try it with a 3L box and smile pretty and keep my fingers crossed !

As to people saying they had no problem when in fact their cruise was long ago before the crackdowns started, I have had boxed wine in my checked suitcase in Miami and Tampa this year with no problem.

I also cruised this year (Jan) and had no problems from FLL. When was your cruise ? You mention "this year" but no month.

From what I've been reading, they ramped up their confiscating in April-May. People are even having Rum Runners taken away which were previously mostly undetectable. Some bottles of wine in checked luggage have also been removed which was not a problem in January...

I'm starting to think it may not work. I went to http://www.blackboxwines.com which is one of the brands that is supposed to be really good. (Yes, I know Wine in a Box conjures up all kinds of negative sterotypes...but the quality is supposed to be quite good on some brands.)

Anyway...one box is equiv. to 4 bottles of wine. Since my 2 kids won't count towards our wine count....I guess we'll be 2 bottles over.

Maybe...I know I'll get flamed...I'll pack it in suitcase anyway...and if they confiscate it...they confiscate it...I'll get it back at the end of the cruise and enjoy back at home.

Just wondered if anyone had experiences with it.

In January 2010 out of Baltimore on the Carnival Pride, we had 4 adults in our party. I had 2 bottles of wine in one carryon and DH had a box of wine and 12 sodas in one carry on. So, even though we had 4 people, only two of us were carrying wine.

They took the bottled wine out of the carry on and inspected it before giving it back - I guess to make sure it was really wine and not gasolene or hard liquor or something. The box did not seem to raise any questions or closer exam.

But, this was "pre-crackdown".

I thought you were 2 bottles each. Maybe it is just one. Between the two of you, one box is right around your limit. Just over if you are allowed 1 each, a lot under if it is 2 each.

I found it nice to be able to have a glass of wine without having to open a whole bottle at a time.

hb5

I brought black box boxed wine in my carry on in March on the Pride. No one looked and I only wish I had brought two as we went with friends who mooched all week. We also did cruise the vineyards for dinner wine, and that worked out well.

Does Princess allow you to carry on wine? What about Celebrity?

NCL charges you $9 per bottle to bring your own on board, a corking fee. Each bottle they put a little sticker on it showing that you paid. On one cruise out of Miami they kept the suitcase of my someone in our party so that they had to come and claim it instead of delivering it to the room. They said that they believed wine was in the suitcase and made her open it for them. They took it and and gave it back the night before the end of the cruise.

They also took the liquor I had purchased in St Martin & Thomas, returned on the last night. Except for the vodka that I poured into my water bottle.

Just an update on this...when we cruised NCL in April of 2010, the charge had gone from $9.00 to $15.00 a bottle. You paid this regardless of where you planned to consume the wine.

As far as wine, I have cruised since the crackdown (4/30/10) on the Elation Panama Canal repositioning cruise out of San Diego and found no problem with anyone we talked to getting wine aboard. Perhaps because this was a 15 day cruise, they were a little more lenient.

The problem with many of these answers that say "you will have no problem. I did it and they never said a word" is that they likely cruised BEFORE the big crack-down on smuggled alcohol. Sure, 2 years ago (over last year, whatever...) you could bring all sorts of stuff on and no one said anything. Did it myself with no problems.

However, it seems RECENTLY they are taking a much closer look at what you are bringing and many more people are having alcohol confiscated than before. Nothing has changed except they are enforcing the rules that have always existed. (I know... bummer !)

Plus, different ports seem to have different answers - I hear Miami is really cracking down while maybe smaller ports aren't being quite a vigilant or perhaps don't have the same sophisticated equipement as the larger ports so what worked in say JAX won't necessarily work in MIA...

Then there's the answer from the Carnival agent at Funville who said 'sure no problem' :rolleyes:... I bet if someone else asks again tomorrow, they'll get a different answer. The problem is there's really no way to argue your case on board if it does get confiscated since the rules do say 750ml per person...

Packing it in your checked luggage will not help as many people have recommended because the NEW scanners that certain ports have can detect liquid. They scan you bags, see something suspicious and you have to claim your bags from the naughty room (or they remove the alcohol and leave you a note).

I would LOVE to know the real answer as well since 2 bottles of wine for my 7 day cruise is just a little short. I'd love to bring on a box - that would be the perfect size. I think it's hit or miss - depending on who scans your bags. That being said, I think I'll try it with a 3L box and smile pretty and keep my fingers crossed !

Al here,

Please!!! What we were able to bring on prior to 2-4 months ago IS TOTALLY IRRELEVANT!

They changed there practice to be the letter of their law.

I want to hear from people who have recently sailed and the results of their efforts to bring on booze.:)

Al

My cousin just returned from Elation cruise yesterday. Her whole group had everything confiscated (about 3 bottles) and returned to them the last night. Funny thing is even one person's body wash bottle was taken that really had body wash in it!! Also, another person in their group said she had nothing and it was very clear that they had searched her bag.

Anyone else??

Just off of the Dream last Saturday. We packed a 5 liter box of wine in one of the suitcases. It made it to the room just fine. Just had a note from TSA that they had gone through the luggage.

While in Costa Maya, we bought 3 liters of alcohol. We checked 2 when boarding and the 3rd in a bag went with us without question. I guess they needed to tell us that we needed to check ALL of our alcohol.

Tom

We took the large box of wine on our Alaska cruise last month with no problems which leads me to my question.

How do you keep your box of wine cool? on our Alaska cruise we would just sit it out on the balcony but I don’t think I will have that leisure on my next cruise

We took the large box of wine on our Alaska cruise last month with no problems which leads me to my question.

How do you keep your box of wine cool? on our Alaska cruise we would just sit it out on the balcony but I don’t think I will have that leisure on my next cruise

Did you put the box wine in your carryon or did you check it? We are doing the Spirit in Aug and inquiring minds want to know!;):)

Did you put the box wine in your carryon or did you check it? We are doing the Spirit in Aug and inquiring minds want to know!;):)

We checked it, and while we were in Ketchikan we picked up another one and just walked it back on in a shopping bag.:)

Check around tho, most wanted 28.00 dollars but we found another little place off the beaten path that had it for 16.00 dollars. ;)

There are some very good screw top wines out there these days...Bonnie Doon Vineyards makes good California wines with clever names that are screw top. Kim Crawford Vineyards out of New Zealand are also screw top. These are under $15 per bottle. Threre are others. Screw tops are no longer indicative of Thunderbird and Annie Green Springs. No need to lug a wine box around.

Archived