New passport/birth certificate policy for cruise lines?

Chriz

Things are getting pretty scary with many of the college "proffs." and some of the things they are "teaching" our kids. Too many of them now are just using their classrooms to promote their personal agenda. Just heard about the Proff. at the University of Colorado who said the victims of 9-11 got what they deserved because of what our people did to the Indians............. Where do they find these lunatics?

Doug

It's simple Economic Theory, as illustrated by Gresham's Law.

http://www.uta.edu/depken/book/cando.html

That's what makes this counrty so great. I can have my opinion which may offend you, and in the final analysis it just doesn't matter.

What *does* matter, is privatization of the educational system, so teachers can earn a decent wage, enticing the better ones to stick around, so that the youth of this country aren't subject to the rantings of the whack-jobs.

and I have an even BETTER idea...in the meantime, while we're all holding our breath for the privitization of the public school system, let's perpetuate the stereoype of all the "whack jobs" running rampant in the current system and make all the decent teachers' jobs even harder and their public image even worse. good plan.

Sadly enough, this is known as tenure and is a huge part of the problem.

an entire profession of people who WILLINGLY follow a calling into an underappreciated and underpaid career, most of them for an entire LIFETIME.

Tef..that's a pretty strong statement.

My feeling is, like all Americans (God bless us) we have the rights to out opinions, all of us, including teachers.

If college age students are still that moldable, that they can be persuaded to believe anything 'wacky' then the problem doesn't lie with the professor, it lies with the student.

My daughter has had great proffessors (thus far) but she did have some wacky teachers before she got to college. Fortunately, she listened to what they said, but took their comments and beliefs with a grain of salt and stuck to her own guns and held fast in her beliefs.

If she could do this as a teenager in high school...a college age student should be able to do the same. Don't blame teachers for a job that parents should be doing. The OP from CA may have not gotten his ideas from school...he may have gotten them on his own and it's kind of judgmental to assume otherwise.

Don't blame teachers for a job that parents should be doing. The OP from CA may have not gotten his ideas from school...he may have gotten them on his own and it's kind of judgmental to assume otherwise.

Oh FTLOG...this has gone from passport requirements to "Big Brother", to whacko college professors to bad parenting? :eek:

On our first cruise we just used the bc and id. After returning we knew we would be doing another cruise so went ahead and got the passport. Glad we did as it made it so much easier checking in. We did this about a year in advance of our cruise last year. To me, it was worth the money. Who knows maybe someday I'd like to do a landbased vacation where you have to have one there also..

Oh FTLOG...this has gone from passport requirements to "Big Brother", to whacko college professors to bad parenting? :eek:

LOL!!

It did get off track, didn't it????

Sorry, I'm just really uncomfortable with lumping all teachers like that. Most are amazing individuals (not that I haven't met quite a few losers) and I always like to blame parents for everything :D

LOL!!

It did get off track, didn't it????

Sorry, I'm just really uncomfortable with lumping all teachers like that. Most are amazing individuals (not that I haven't met quite a few losers) and I always like to blame parents for everything :D

LOL....just a tad. :D

To a point I have to agree with Tef's comment. I have had a couple really good college professors, but I've also had some of the 60s hippy types too. :rolleyes:

LOL....just a tad. :D

To a point I have to agree with Tef's comment. I have had a couple really good college professors, but I've also had some of the 60s hippy types too. :rolleyes:

sure you did...but did they mold you, or did you have your own opinions????? :D You don't need to answer that. ;)

and as far as parenting...the swim babies thread just makes my belief in parents being responsible for all the world's ills (figuratively and literally in that case) credible...it all starts with a poopie diaper ;)

Ok..sent the question to Carnival and the answer is "yes, at 'some point in the future' passports will be required." I guess we can complain all we want to but the answer is if we want to continue cruising we will sooner or later have to have a passport. That having been said I guess one of my stops this weekend will be to generate said document. There are some things we can fight and some things we can't. There are some things worth fighting over and some things not worth the effort. Look at it this way - the passport is just another form of ID. And oh by the way - the bad guys have been forging them for a long time so the arguement that they are essential to homeland security is a little off target.
Essential, nope,,,,another tool though it definitely is, nothing is perfect

There are a lot of very good teachers, there are a lot of very bad teachers.

There are a lot of very good parents, there are a lot of very bad parents.

But any time you have ANY teacher that wants to teach hate & impose his own agendas on his or her students......they have no business being in this profession! And the schools that keep them on the payroll are as guilty as the "wacky" teacher.

It is also pretty dumb to blame parents for everything their children do. Everyone should take responsabilaty for their own actions.

And yes, college age kids are still very moldable! And yes I blame the teachers for trying to impose their wacky ways on them!

Doug

There are a lot of very good teachers, there are a lot of very bad teachers.

There are a lot of very good parents, there are a lot of very bad parents.

But any time you have ANY teacher that wants to teach hate & impose his own agendas on his or her students......they have no business being in this profession! And the schools that keep them on the payroll are as guilty as the "wacky" teacher.

It is also pretty dumb to blame parents for everything their children do. Everyone should take responsabilaty for their own actions.

And yes, college age kids are still very moldable! And yes I blame the teachers for trying to impose their wacky ways on them!

Doug

who said anything about teachers teaching hate??????

How did this thread go wacky?????

What I meant was that parents should instill enough self confidence in their kids that they become able to form their own opinions and not be easily swayed...by peers OR wacky teachers. YES...that's a parents responsibility...at least, I thought of it as mine. Maybe you feel differently????

Maybe some college age kids are still moldable....I don't see that as a good thing. I would hope by that age they have enough sense of themselves to form their own opinions. And I stand by the comment that as parents, if the job is done correctly, that's the kind of young adult you will have raised.

That's my opinion....you don't have to agree with it, but I'd hardly call it stupid.

tripple,

Don't know, but I guess what was meant by that statement was, I've known several building contractors that could tell you everything you wanted to know about building a house or a building, but could not drive a nail if their life depened on it. I guess that is the reference to teaching.

Doug

triple....don't let it get-cha :D

I'll admit that this is one of my hot buttons! I just find it so incredibly offensive that it's become acceptable to paint an entire group of people, most of whom have dedicated so much of themselves to helping others achieve greatness, as stupid.

YES!!!!

I'm all for drug tests...you know what else gets my goat?? Parents who think it's an invasion of thier child's privacy to get their school lockers searched...what is wrong with people these days???????

Check my kids locker for goodness sake! And if there is something in there that would get her in trouble, I'd be the first to recommend the worst sentence possible. Checking kids lockers keeps my child safe. She doesn't see anythng wrong with it..but then again, she also has nothing to hide.

The crazy thing is...I am what everyone would call a Liberal....I am a certified tree hugging/bug loving, freedom of choice liberal...but all this bunk about privacy makes me crazy.

Have to disagree here Halos, remember J Edgar Hoover? We cant give the Government Carte Blanche either, thats not the answer either, we can keep our rights including illegal search and seizures and still have security, if they have proof to search than search but no way to blanket search's and we do have a right to privacy still, monitoring activities is one thing, searching peoples lockers and than maybe houses at will is quite another, do you want the feds going through your dirty laundry on a lark?? Maybe just because someone said you said something??

who said anything about teachers teaching hate??????

How did this thread go wacky?????

What I meant was that parents should instill enough self confidence in their kids that they become able to form their own opinions and not be easily swayed...by peers OR wacky teachers. YES...that's a parents responsibility...at least, I thought of it as mine. Maybe you feel differently????

ITA!

Archived