New passport/birth certificate policy for cruise lines?

Chriz

Cruise lines may lose more on the side of "senior" cruisers. My sweetie's mother didn't want to get one. The way she looked at it was 1) $85.00 was a lot of money and how much would she use it. 2) She's turning 83 this week, would she get 10 years use out of it (This when we said it works out to be 8.50 each year of it's life) 3) She'd rather stand in a line than fork out the money when she still has a driver's license for ID

Many seniors, even with good finances, are very money concious from growing up during the depression, and the fact that they may not be around another 10 years might stop them from getting one.

I got mine before last year's cruise, and my sweetie is waiting for his now. It is easier than having to have ID, BC and possibly Marriage certificate! It also makes regular airline travel easier, especially going out of the states.

Let's not forget the most important reason to have one, just in case you do miss your ship, get stuck for any reason, a passport it the one easy world-wide accepted proof of US citizenship.

Let's not forget the most important reason to have one, just in case you do miss your ship, get stuck for any reason, a passport it the one easy world-wide accepted proof of US citizenship.

This reason alone woul dbe enough to make me get a passport before a cruise, if I didn't already have one. the thought of getting stuck in another country without a passport because I missed the ship would make me nervous.

Even though a passport is good for 20 years for the purposes of cruising (valid for 10 years and valid as cruise ID for another 10 years after expiration), it still adds up to a considerable initial expense if you have a large family. I can see alot of people not wanting to shell out $85.00 per person on something they only foresee using one time. I think a fair compromise would be to require one for adults but require only birth certificates for the children.

Does any one remember when Barbados tried enforcing a Passport rule for their port of call?? they lost tons of revenue from the cruise lines passengers. It was not long at all that the governement said nevermind.

I think a lot of cruisers will not be cruising if they need a passport.

I needed a passport for Europe in May anyway, but I would have gotten one for my cruise because I'm going to be stopping in ports that are in a foreign country. If something did happen (God forbid) I would want to have proof that I am an American citizen so that I can get home. Plus, it's the ultimate form of identification: citizenship, id, and birth all in one!

Does any one remember when Barbados tried enforcing a Passport rule for their port of call?? they lost tons of revenue from the cruise lines passengers. It was not long at all that the governement said nevermind.

I think a lot of cruisers will not be cruising if they need a passport.

Well actually they didnt lose any money. The Barbados Govt issued a statement that anyone visiting Barbados would need a passport by a certain date. Less than a week later they ruled cruise passengers as "in-transit" visitors. So it was a quick about face which didnt have any economic impact on Cruisers or Barbados.

I was not allowed on a flight from boston to jamaica last year because they said my birth certificate was not legal (not government issued). I was out $1400 and attempted small claims court, and over a year later, I'm still out. I think they're protecting themselves since there is a lot of confusion with different bc's (hospital issued vs. government issued)

I'm sorry, it's called budget......a family of 6 @ $85 each = $510. That's just under $10 per week for a year. If you can't budget an extra $10 per week then you have no business spending the money to cruise in the first place. Buy one less Happy Meal here and there.:D

I'm sorry, it's called budget......a family of 6 @ $85 each = $510. That's just under $10 per month for a year. If you can't budget an extra $10 per month, then you have no business spending the money to cruise in the first place.:cool:

I totally argree(except for your math), but you know many complain about the $10 a day for tip.

Here's a thread hijack...People will remove their tips to cover the cost of the passport:D

IF passport became mandatory, it would have an impact on the 3 day or shorter cruises.

I think you better recheck your math. By my calculation $510 equates to $42.50 per month for a year. Still not a large amount, I know, but that's $42.50 that could better be spent on other things. I don't mind paying for myself, but I cringe at the thought of paying $340 because somebody thinks my 2, 5, 8, and 11 year old may pose a terrorist threat.

I'm sorry, it's called budget......a family of 6 @ $85 each = $510. That's just under $10 per month for a year. If you can't budget an extra $10 per month, then you have no business spending the money to cruise in the first place.:cool:

Wow, I wonder if the Captain of the Legend knows that, considering Martinique is still on the itinerary. :confused:

Absolutely right. In fact we were in Martinique on the Legend last Thursday and there were plenty of people on the ship who checked in with just a BC. I did take my passport on shore with me, but no one asked for it.

I've never been without a passport! I was born in France to Military dad and follow him everywhere mom! (and she/we have loved every minute of it!) I was on my mother's passport first, then got my own when I was older. I still carry mine around all the time! When you have 3 birth certificates (one from France, one from Air Force, one from State Department) and they are all extremely hard to replace, this is so much easier! I've used it for ID for checks, etc because I didn't change my drivers license for 1 1/2 after I got married!

Besides, renewing is cheaper than a new one I think. Hubby is getting one for our cruise this May. This will stagger when the money to renew is due. Son will get when when we take him out of the country for the first time.

I *did* go ahead and get a passport. just for the fact I don't like hassle and I've heard that simply having the damn thing can eliminate a lot of that for me. I have also heard this (passports required in the not-so-distant future) from my TA when booking my cruise a few months ago. not to mention the fact that she (my TA) called a few weeks ago to confirm that we (DH and I) were getting passports, as she had clients that went all the way to Miami with birth certificates and they weren't the accepted form (they were "registrations" versus "original certificate of live birth") and who wants to be turned down as you're ready to board?

and mhenry...I know that generally speaking your particular 2,5,8 and 11 year olds may not be terrorist threats, but I can think of quite a few countries that they may be just that, as sad a fact as that is. i think it's been so long since the horror of 9/11, a lot of people need to start to think globally again.

Legend goes to Martinque and Limon,Costa Rica. Destiny goes to Dominica. Many ships go to Roatan Honduras. None of which "demand" passports from cruise passengers.

Hmmmm..I sense these are ports where the cruise lines are still managing to keep an (increasingly stressed) agreement with local immigration authorities to "waive" documentation standards for their passengers, for here are the actual published documentation requirements:

Martinque: "Passports are required of U.S. citizens entering the French West Indies."

Source:

http://www.abriggs.com/high_level/FER_M/Martinique_FER.php

Costa Rica: "For entry into the country, Costa Rican authorities require that U.S. citizens present valid passports that will not expire for at least ninety days after arrival."

Source:

http://www.abriggs.com/high_level/FER_C/Costa_Rica_FER.php

Honduras: "All U.S. citizens must have a valid U.S. passport to enter and depart Honduras."

Source: http://www.abriggs.com/high_level/FER_H/Honduras_FER.php

Whatever, I'm more than willing to take on a wager from anyone who wants to bet that entry documentation standards in the Caribbean for cruise passengers aren't going to tighten up over the next few years. Or stated differently, the old casual days are waning, like it or not, and those who stubbornly refuse to get a passport are going to increasingly see themselves forced into a very limited universe of travel options.

I think all travelers should have passports. Heck the cost is cheaper for a couple than some of the excursions they pay for on the ship for 2 and its usable more than a 3 hr trip.

Me and DH just got ours and now we are so glad we can plan more trips to different places now that we have them .

That is just my .02 though.:rolleyes:

I can agree with Starlite here. If you can't afford a passport for you and all of your little darlings, then how can you afford an excursion? How in the heck did you afford the cruise in the first place? Budget it in people. This instant gratification thing kills me.

Maybe YOU don't think children are terrorists or pose a threat or cause harm, try telling that to people living in Israel or those who were in Vietnam...and that's just addressing that issue. Consider it in cost...I go to and from Mexico quite alot, just crossing over in a vehicle...my children are questioned every single time as to whether or not they are my children (I have light skin, they have darker skin). MANY kids are snuck over the border under the pretense that they are American citizens when they are not. Then they get welfare benefits, healthcare benefits, school benefits, etc...that their parents have not paid for...it becomes a huge drain financially on the society around them.

There are REASONS for it, very legitimate reasons whether you like them or not.

Well, since we're on the tangent of "is the passport worth it" (which is where ANY passport thread inevitably goes), an observation:

Several posters here make an issue of the effort and $85 expense involved in getting a passport.

Now, how many times have people here seen a post with the title of something to the effect "HELP WE SAIL IN THREE DAYS AND MY BIRTH CERTIFICATE DOESN'T HAVE A RAISED SEAL"?

The thread that follows inevitably goes into discussion of how to get an official birth certificate in a hurry.

This almost always involves (a) taking time off from a job to drive for hours to get to some state office hundreds of miles away and/or (b) a bunch of long distance phone calls and (ALWAYS) something called SPECIAL EXPEDITE FEES. Those may run anything from $10-$15 extra at a state office up to $60 or more from a private online turnkey service.

What always amuses me is how the OP ends up putting themselves through a bunch of 11th hour hassle and expense, which often goes WAY beyond what would have been involved in simply applying for a passport.

Bottom line:

Birth certificates were NEVER designed to be 100% inarguable, readily portable proof of citizenship.

Only one document IS.

And it's called a PASSPORT.

Great post Mikey! I use my passport for everything... even airline travel. makes life easier for me... And it's good for 10 years!!! And when you cruise, it's good for 20 years!!! I'll admit, mine expired on Sunday, but I'll certainly be using it in 12 days!!!!!! It's a small price to pay for peace of mind...

It's a small price to pay for peace of mind...

Couldn't have said it better. When we cruise in a few weeks, we won't be worrying at the pier about our documentation, nor concerned when we go ashore overseas about having proper I.D. in the unlikely event of missing the ship.

Whereas people without passports have no such guarantees.

I had heard the same thing yesterday so emailed the National Passport Information Center and this is the answer I received.

I do think that it will come to pass in the near future so why wait, when it does happen the 2 to 6 week wait may expand to about 12 weeks.

Stretch

** Member of the Passport Pushers Society (PPS) **

Currently we do not have any information about any new policies.

If you have further questions, please email us at NPIC@state.gov. Please include all prior messages or correspondence in your reply so that we may know what has taken place previously. If you prefer, you can call us at (877)487-2778. Our contact center is open Monday through Friday 8:00AM-8:00PM EST.

Thank you. 053

National Passport Information Center

....there is a lot of confusion with different bc's (hospital issued vs. government issued)

Jujub, a hospital birth certificate has never been considered a legal document. It is document that certifies that you were born in _______Hospital, and it's basically a memento for your parents to put into your baby book.

ONLY a state-issued birth certificate is accepted as the legal documentation of your birth.

It troubles me that 9/11 is used as an excuse for everything. Why is everything ok since it is in the name of national security? Having passports is a minor inconvenience but it is part of a governmental plan to take away our privacy.

In reality the government is probably requiring this for the money not for security.

By the way if this does go into effect expired passports will probably be invalid

It troubles me that 9/11 is used as an excuse for everything. Why is everything ok since it is in the name of national security? Having passports is a minor inconvenience but it is part of a governmental plan to take away our privacy.

In reality the government is probably requiring this for the money not for security.

By the way if this does go into effect expired passports will probably be invalid

Privacy? Huh? I really doubt they are doing this to take away our privacy? And I'm not sure WHY anyone would think that? I'm confused on that one... It makes COMPLETE sense this would be done in the name of National Security... of ALL things done this makes TOTAL sense.... :confused: Take away our privacy??? *shakes head* You realize there is nothing that is in a passport that the government does not ALREADY know right???

Archived