New passport/birth certificate policy for cruise lines?

Chriz

While we were getting off of the Sovereign of the Seas last month, the lady who was directing the lines the Port Canaveral Customs location kept announcing that in about 8-10 months, passports will be required and that birth certificates will no longer be accepted. I usually can smell a rumor, but I am not quite sure about this, as I don't know where she got her info. Anyone else know anything about this?

This has been posted on both the RCI and Carnival Boards

Haven't heard this, but I'm sure it might be the wave of the future.

However - I think it will cut out a lot of folks' cruising vacations. Not everybody can/will be obtaining passports - they aren't cheap.

Some will cruise only the one time, or a couple of times, and won't think it's worth the price of a passport - added to the cost of a cruise. Oh well, guess that's something the cruiselines will have to worry about.....losing passengers, I mean.:o

Most cruisers are first timers that don't have passports. These people will say “I don't want to go through this passport hassle just to go to Mexico for three days .There are other vacation options that you don't need a passport.” The cruise lines will loose business. This makes me think that they will fight this as much as possible.

However this does seem like something our current constitution trampling government would do.

Most cruisers are first timers that don't have passports. These people will say “I don't want to go through this passport hassle just to go to Mexico for three days .There are other vacation options that you don't need a passport.” The cruise lines will loose business. This makes me think that they will fight this as much as possible.

However this does seem like something our current constitution trampling government would do.

If it does happen, it won't be the cruise lines doing it but rather the foreign governments. That means if a cruise stops in Mexico and you need a passport, more than likely one will need a passport for that three day trip to Mexico.

the lady who was directing the lines the Port Canaveral Customs location kept announcing that in about 8-10 months, passports will be required and that birth certificates will no longer be accepted.

And this would be a *bad* thing, exactly how?

I seriously doubt that this is going to impact cruise travel in the least. People who decide against getting a passport won't have the option of any other forms of international travel either.

Perhaps it's due to the recent changes in the Homeland Security Act. I've heard that one change possible is the requirement for a passport to enter (or reenter) the United States.

The Carnival agent I spoke with when booking our cruise said that, currently, a passport can be up to 10 years expired and still be used for identification on the cruise.

Oh, is CCL part of Customs/INS now? Expired means EXPIRED.

The cost of a passport comes to about .70/day...LESS than a cup of coffee or a can of soda. :rolleyes:

I for one think it's a good thing if it's made a requirement.

Oh, is CCL part of Customs/INS now? Expired means EXPIRED.

The cost of a passport comes to about .70/day...LESS than a cup of coffee or a can of soda. :rolleyes:

I for one think it's a good thing if it's made a requirement.

Wow - you must an expensive passport... I think 2 cents a day is more like it - or about 23 cents/day over 1 year.

I also don't see a problem with a passport requirement. Also can't see it having much of an impact on cruise numbers.

Wow - you must an expensive passport... I think 2 cents a day is more like it - or about 23 cents/day over 1 year.

You are correct...mine was for months...had a brain fart...but still very inexpensive in the long run.

People in Europe have passports practically from birth. I understand that countries are smaller there and they get around to other countries more often, but why do Amercicans fear passports???? :confused:

I haven't used mine yet...I just got one myself last year. I think it's a disgrace that I waited so long. My oldest daughter got and used one for herself before I even considered it for myself. She was 16 at the time. Then one day I thought to myself...getting a passport gets me one step closer to eating some pasta in Venice...so I applied immediately...now, I just need some cash :D

Expired means EXPIRED.

The cost of a passport comes to about .70/day...LESS than a cup of coffee or a can of soda.

I've never understood it but, the policy on most lines including Carnival is that expired is OK for ID purposes.

Click Here For Carnival Link

Passport cost is about .70 per month or a little over 2 cents a day for the life of the document.

I can see where adding $300 or so to a family of four might push some away from cruising but the reality is that sometime in the not too distant future, a valid passport will be required for re-entry into the US.

You are correct...mine was for months...had a brain fart...but still very inexpensive in the long run.

It was only 4-something in the AM here in CA. Just finished fixing an mri, but had to recheck my math on this twice - Have to laugh.

Robert

In what way, exactly, does requiring a passport for entry into the United States "trample the Constitution"?

I've always wondered why they ever allowed people to enter without one.

As has been mentioned, it's $85 every 10 years. It's just not a big deal.

I had mine done before our 2003 cruise and decided that it was soooooo easy to get one for my DH and two DDs -- it was a bit of a chunk out of the checkbook, but honestly, on our last cruise it was soooooooooooooooooooo easy to embark and disembark with the passports that my DH who was opposed to it (the cost) said "I'm so glad you talked me into getting the passport."

We paid for it out of our cruise fund and made it part of the price last year -- so next cruise - don't have that cost.

To me, 160 extra dollars per couple is a big deal...

I know cruising can be relatively cheap, but after figuring out tips, paying airfare, etc...if I had to pay another fee to cruise, I'll probably look at other options for travel. I never leave the country, except when I cruise, which is not too often...With the projected rising costs of cruises, and if this does go into effect in the future, I will rethink my vacation options.

Perhaps I was misunderstood?

I think it has more to do with Homeland Security. I think it's a good idea. I want all the security my government can offer me.:)

What I was trying to say is that for some families, it will be very difficult to take a cruise if everybody must have a passport.

MOST people save and save for their vacations, and having to add the $85+ per person (gotta have a photo, too)......well, it just might be overwhelming to them. They're planning on, say $3000 for a cruise, and then having to fork over a LOT of add'l money for passports that they might never use again??? I can certainly see their point in not wanting (or not being financially able) to spend an add'l $500-$600, according to how many family members there are. See?

Even though the passports are good for 10 years for adults and 5 years for children (and yes a 10-yr. or less expired passport can be used for ID on cruise ships) - having to shell out that much more for a few days on a cruise would probably make LOTS of budget-minded folks think about doing a land vacation in the U.S. rather than a cruise.

So, for that reason, I DO think the cruise lines will lose business.

It's interesting. I read a study some years ago that said most people in other countries have passports as opposed to America where very few people (relatively) have passports. I think it is useful and worth the cost involved. I never wanted one till my MIL had one and I saw how much she used it for ID purposes, etc...then I realized how useful it can be.

If you are going to afford $3000 for a cruise, then you should be able to afford the expense of the passports to travel. The US gov't really should be requiring passports from everyone entering or re-entering the country...not only for our safety, but for the health of country financially.

Priorities people, if you can't afford the passport, then you couldn't afford the cruise.

It's been more than three years, but what this thread is making blatantly clear to me is that some people STILL don't understand that the world post 9/11 is different and there is no "going back."

The days of casual cross-border travel are ending, people. Documentation standards are getting stricter and enforcement is getting tighter. The cruise industry (which attracts a larger clientele of travel neophtyes) may not like that, but they are fighting a losing battle to stop the trend.

In fact, their "you don't need a passport to travel in the Caribbean dam" is already cracking. Last year, Barbados came within inches of insisting that cruise ship visitors hold passports (you MUST have one if you arrive by plane), and in fact is again assessing whether to implement that standard for cruise ship passengers starting later this year.

Cruise ships used to visit Martinque, but don't anymore. Why? The island is just as beautfiul and interesting as it ever was, but immigration standards were raised in 2002. You now need a vaild passport to enter, irrespective of how you arrive or how long you plan to stay.

And if the cruise lines thought they could can get around that by going to Guadeloupe instead, that got nipped in the bud. That island now has the same immigration standards as Martinque.

And in turn, the same rules now also apply to:

Costa Rica.

Dominca.

Haiti (granted. it's not on the "A" list of hot tourisim areas)

Honduras.

Trinidad and Tobago.

I guess the industry can keep cutting off countries that demand passports, until there's nothing left but their so-called "private islands" in the Bahamas.

It's been more than three years, but what this thread is making blatantly clear to me is that some people STILL don't understand that the world post 9/11 is different and there is no "going back."

The days of casual cross-border travel are ending, people. Documentation standards are getting stricter and enforcement is getting tighter. The cruise industry (which attracts a larger clientele of travel neophtyes) may not like that, but they are fighting a losing battle to stop the trend.

In fact, their "you don't need a passport to travel in the Caribbean dam" is already cracking. Last year, Barbados came within inches of insisting that cruise ship visitors hold passports (you MUST have one if you arrive by plane), and in fact is again assessing whether to implement that standard for cruise ship passengers starting later this year.

Cruise ships used to visit Martinque, but don't anymore. Why? The island is just as beautfiul and interesting as it ever was, but immigration standards were raised in 2002. You now need a vaild passport to enter, irrespective of how you arrive or how long you plan to stay.

And if the cruise lines thought they could can get around that by going to Guadeloupe instead, that got nipped in the bud. That island now has the same immigration standards as Martinque.

And in turn, the same rules now also apply to:

Costa Rica.

Dominca.

Haiti (granted. it's not on the "A" list of hot tourisim areas)

Honduras.

Trinidad and Tobago.

I guess the industry can keep cutting off countries that demand passports, until there's nothing left but their so-called "private islands" in the Bahamas.

Legend goes to Martinque and Limon,Costa Rica. Destiny goes to Dominica. Many ships go to Roatan Honduras. None of which "demand" passports from cruise passengers. I do agree everyone leaving the country should have a vaild and unexpired passport.

Cruise ships used to visit Martinque, but don't anymore.

Wow, I wonder if the Captain of the Legend knows that, considering Martinique is still on the itinerary. :confused:

It wouldn't bother me one bit if the ships really *did* stop calling on Martinique, but I digress...

Mikey has it right that we live in a different world now than just a few years ago, and an alarming number of people cannot seem to grasp, much less accept, it. Wake up people! Obtaining a passport, and renewing it in ten years, is a small price to pay, both in terms of time and money, to continue to enjoy the virtually unfettered travel opportunities that we have become accustomed to. Besides, it makes for a nifty piece of ID when you want to write a check at the grocery. :rolleyes:

Perhaps y'all would rather see everyone get chipped?

Archived