New passport/birth certificate policy for cruise lines?

Chriz

[quote name='GoinCruisin']Mike (hold onto your hat), I agree!!! LOL! Of course there is always room for improvement, as with anything. I just get a little defensive when people come down so hard on our government (who we, as a people, elect.. in many countries, the PEOPLE don't have a choice). They have a difficult job to do and nobody is ever happy... I still think we have it made and live in the greatest country in the world, so I get a bit defensive when people put it down... I think every one of us has a family member or a friend that is either now, or has fought in a war. I have 2 family members in Iraq and 1 nephew that just returned.... he, as I am sure most would, be irrate at some of the things that are said about our government, etc. Our soldiers CHOSE to enlist, unlike other wars in history... they love this country and the WORLD and are willing to lay down their lives for it... If our government wants to do something that they feel makes us safer, ie, passports... I'm all for it. Sure, might not be ironclad, but it is a small step and small steps are what gets us there. That being said, I know you are in agreement with passports... It's all good Mike :D[/QUOTE] ooohhh and yes CG it would be fun to cruise with you, partying than having drunken debates into the wee hours of the night on how to change the world LOL

[quote name='ConquestMike']Geezzz I am embarassed I came across the way I did, I would go to war and put my life on the line for this country and am behind the troops and Bush 100 per cent. My little debate only centered on one very small aspect of our Government, searches, which many are never ever subjected to. It wasnt my intent to beat down the whole system, just one area where I think improvements need to be made is all. Most people are in the silent majority and never say how grateful they are to live here. Some do stand up and knock the USA too much and that is why Im embarassed in that I came across that way at all.[/QUOTE]

Well Mike, I for one know that you are not an "anti-America" type of person. Like I said, you are passionate in your beliefs and for that I commend you... had you not explained some things, I might have worried a bit about ya ;) I think most will agree that it's not perfect, and it never will be, but it's a pretty darn nice place to call home :D Case in point, we can come to a message board such as this and speak our minds, without fear of government ramification... while asking for 100% total freedom and privacy is just not plausible, the small sacrifices I believe will be worth it in the long run....

In other words, everyone get a passport! LOL!!!

[quote name='ConquestMike']ooohhh and yes CG it would be fun to cruise with you, partying than having drunken debates into the wee hours of the night on how to change the world LOL[/QUOTE]

Most definitely Mike! Having a fun debate is all part of the fun... but over the months in all of our "debates" I have come to consider you a friend and while we might both irritate each other sometimes, it's always great to meet someone and learn others' points of view. So I do hope we get to cruise together someday! I'll buy the first round :D

[quote name='GoinCruisin']Well Mike, I for one know that you are not an "anti-America" type of person. Like I said, you are passionate in your beliefs and for that I commend you... had you not explained some things, I might have worried a bit about ya ;) I think most will agree that it's not perfect, and it never will be, but it's a pretty darn nice place to call home :D Case in point, we can come to a message board such as this and speak our minds, without fear of government ramification... while asking for 100% total freedom and privacy is just not plausible, the small sacrifices I believe will be worth it in the long run....

In other words, everyone get a passport! LOL!!![/QUOTE]And Passports are soooo much easier than BC's and Driver licences to boot

[quote name='ConquestMike']PS I had you pegged as a guy LOL see I was wrong LOL unless your the type of guy who calls other guys dear, in that case dont talk to me LOL[/QUOTE]

No, I'm most definitely not a guy. So, I guess we can still talk. I'm fairly new to these boards and don't know anything else about you except for this particular thread. I know you can't know enough about someone to make informed opinions about them, yet some of us tried.

Sorry, my passport statement wasn't directed at you. It was meant for the OP and at least one other who complained about maybe having to get them.

[quote name='BND']No, I'm most definitely not a guy. So, I guess we can still talk. I'm fairly new to these boards and don't know anything else about you except for this particular thread. I know you can't know enough about someone to make informed opinions about them, yet some of us tried.

Sorry, my passport statement wasn't directed at you. It was meant for the OP and at least one other who complained about maybe having to get them.[/QUOTE]
Of course we can still talk, this thread hit me in a sore spot is all, not because of passports but in other ways this thread went and also happened at a time when I had lots of time on my hands to debate. You are 100 per cent correct, it is impossible to know enough about a person to make an informed opinion on here especially from just some posts. I have to admit, looking back with 20/20 hindsight I did look like a crazed Anarchist LOL, trust me Im not..Ive only been here since October or so and got involved in another hot topic that GC and Halos were involved with too but otherwise just the normal cruise stuff,,,seeing out next vacation (non cruise) is the East Coast Washington DC through Virginia and down to Mrytle Beach maybe you can give me some tips?? or are non cruise discussions frowned upon here?? HMMM theres a thread to start controversy LOL:cool:

I don't know. But, I grew up in MD and lived there for more than 20 years and have lived in VA for about 13 years, mostly in suburbs to DC. There's a few years missing because I was born in another state and moved as a child. Anyway, we grew up going in and out of DC and we still go occasionally. What kind of info are you looking for? Museums, battlefields, safe hotels, restaurants?

I think we might want to go another way besides a passport as well. How about a digital chip, maybe about the size of a chapstick roll implanted in the front of our far heads. Doubt if anyone would notice AND we wouldn't have to carry a passport nor a birth certificate. Now THATS thinking outside the box;)

Re: Passports. Although I have one I didn't want to get one for the kids before the age of 16 at which point they can get 10-yr adult instead of the 5 yr kids passports. Some cruiselines require a birth certificate and a state issued photo ID (such as driver's liscense). Unfortunately, my son turns 16 2-weeks before the cruise--too late to get a passport for this trip and he doesn't drive yet. I can obtain a state photo ID for $20. However, on these boards someone has indicated a picture school ID is O.K. But the small print on the ticket says a birth certificate and state issued photo I.D. What would you do?

WHOA NELLY !!!!!

I finally go on my cruise, and while I'm gone the "good stuff" starts! ;)

So, even though I'm way late, here's my two cents after reading 11 pages with my jaw gaping open.

1) As a rule, passports are REQUIRED for international travel. The fact that the cruise industry has become a bit of a "loophole" definitely has its pros and cons, but I don't think it's terribly reasonable to get upset if the powers that be decide to tighten, or ultimately eliminate, that loophole. Personally, I have had a valid passport since I was 19. Wouldn't leave home without it.

2) I am a university instructor who worked VERY hard to earn my BA, MA and Ph.D. With my skill set, I could easily triple my income if I chose to work outside of academia. I choose not to because I believe so strongly in what I do. I present my students with ideas, theories -- and (GASP!) yes, even beliefs -- so that they can benefit from my years of research and experience in forming their OWN opinions. Teaching is not about creating clones of oneself. It is about providing intellectual tools for one's students, to be used in whatever way fits their individual needs. Are there bad teachers out there? You betcha. Are there bad travel agents, surgeons, attorneys, plumbers and parents? I believe so.

3) I have lived in 5 foreign countries since I was 19. I came to love aspects of all of them. In my opinion, there are certain things that each one of those countries does better than the USA. But at the end of the day, I would not trade my American citizenship for a lifetime of free cruising. ;) The "government" makes a very convenient scapegoat, but unless we are truly striving to improve the things we perceive as weaknesses . . . well . . . aren't we just playing armchair quarterback?

Okay I feel better now. :) Happy cruising!

Although I think the debate and banter on this thread has been entertaining, In my humble opinion, I do believe that some of the reasons expressed for not getting a passport border on the illogical if not ridiculous. Sure, we can find reasons to pacify ourselves and defend the decision not to get one, but make no mistake, having a passport in hand while traveling is far better than any other documentation PERIOD. And if you travel without one and something goes wrong (and theres many possible somethings out there), just remember, its not the cruiselines fault, not the fault of the country you are in, and not our governments fault, its yours! If the only thing you have ever done is read this thread, you should have learned enough to know that having a passport while outside the U.S. is THE best way to go. I just don't think its worth the gamble no matter what the reason(s).

All of my kids, even the youngest have military i.d.'s, state issued i.d.'s and they are truly great to have. But they ALSO have passports as well. The state issued i.d.'s (drivers license type) are THE best thing you can get for i.d. and as a protection for your kids, especially when they are young. It's a $10-$20 well spent. But they are not replacements for passports. I think I know where many of my fellow posters are coming from when it comes to trying to save money i.e. not getting one because kids are under 16 etc., been there done that. But I've also learned from experiance that sometimes we are wrong as well.

Given the real hassles of using "alternative" identification methods while traveling such as picture i.d.'s and birth certs, expired passports, school picture i.d's etc., the uncertainty about when (not if) these alternative methods will become invalid, although its everyones right to do as they so choose, I must admit, I do shake my head a bit at one the resistance some have towards getting a passport and all of the wild reasons associated with that decision.

I think this debate must draw parallels to what it was like at the beginning of the 20th century, with the introduction of automobiles and those who used to ride horses, who now have to go to the first DMV wherever that might have been to get a drivers license. Worse yet, it seems some of the same folks who brag about their $2,500 plus sign and sail tab are the same ones that have an issue with spending $55-$85 on a passport. I just don't quite understand what the beef is. Every once in awhile (usually on my stateroom balcony with cocktail in hand) I think about what my first executive order would be if I were king for a day, I think I found it, EVERYONE gets passports or your off my island. Just like you can't go through life these days with a supermarket or library card as your sole form of i.d., neither can travelers put off indefinitely getting a passport. Get two money orders that add up to $85 (55 and 30) and the pain will go away honest.

Hey guys,

I'm going on my first cruise in June on the Miracle to the Western Carribean. My DH, myself and DD's 3 & 11. I just learned the price of passports for my family will be $310.00. Is this necessary or is it ok to just use birth certificates?
This could pay for a couple of shore excursions!

Thanks,
Kath

[quote name='angelskath']Hey guys,

I'm going on my first cruise in June on the Miracle to the Western Carribean. My DH, myself and DD's 3 & 11. I just learned the price of passports for my family will be $310.00. Is this necessary or is it ok to just use birth certificates?
This could pay for a couple of shore excursions!

Thanks,
Kath[/QUOTE]
I think it depends on what risk you are willing to take. I have a family of five and we all have them. I wouldn't leave without them. I wouldn't go in a foreign country without them. I figure why not get them (and the $$ to me are not a reason). Why take a risk. JMO

Angelskath - this topic has been around and discussed ad nauseum...just do a search on the boards. I would recommend paying the price for passports.

However, if you choose not to get passports, please take ONLY ship excursions. That will guarantee you make the ship. The ship waits for ship excursions if there is a problem (broken bus, etc). It only takes one close call, or a miss, and the expense of the passports seems so small.

• 2 months later...

Archived