New passport/birth certificate policy for cruise lines?

Chriz

Having passports is a minor inconvenience but it is part of a governmental plan to take away our privacy.

Will someone *please* show me exactly *where* it states in the Constitution that "privacy" is an inalienable right?

Uh huh, I *thought* so.

It troubles me that 9/11 is used as an excuse for everything. Why is everything ok since it is in the name of national security? Having passports is a minor inconvenience but it is part of a governmental plan to take away our privacy.

In reality the government is probably requiring this for the money not for security.

By the way if this does go into effect expired passports will probably be invalid

That has got to be one of most rediculous statements I've ever read. Are you so paranoid that you think requiring passports is some deep dark government plan to control our freedoms?? Do you protest having to get a driver's license, hell why not let anybody, qualified or not drive, it's a free country, isn't it?

Geez!

Try living in another country and see how you feel then. BTW, expired passports SHOULD be considered invalid, that's what expired means.

Stretch

Has anyone asked Carnival or any of the other lines for confirmation? While I agree they are not driving that train I have to assume they would be aware of something that has the potential to afffect their operations. I think I'll ask and see what happens.

The government is tapping privet phone lines, feeling people up while going through security, and arresting people for suspicions without any real evidence. (Two words patriot act). This is all done in the name of national security. We should not live in a police state. Having a passport might not be that big of a deal but when you add it all together it is a big deal. People are allowing the trampling of the constitution in the name of national security. I for one don't like it.

by the way do you think you would be safer with everyone having a passport.

Will someone *please* show me exactly *where* it states in the Constitution that "privacy" is an inalienable right?

Uh huh, I *thought* so.

I'm looking in my political science book and it blatantly says that people have the right to privacy. Maybe you should do some research before making some assumption. (fyi 9th amendment)

So move to france with baldwin and basinger.

Uuummmm how about no.

People are allowed their own opinions. If everyone that disagreed with this government was forced to leave this country wouldn't be any better than any of those tyrant governments we strive to defeat.

Eric, you are interpreting the 9th amendment how YOU want too... and yes, you have a right to an opinion, but to state that requiring passports for people coming into our country is an invasion of privacy is insane (that is MY opinion)... I don't mind being "felt up" in the airport if they consider it a measure to keep me safe... and it IS a measure that keeps people safe. And if there is suspicion that someone in my neighborhood raped a young girl... take him in! Find out for sure! This country has made many mistakes by letting too much time pass.... if someone is suspicious I have done something, I don't mind being taken in and questioned... so I can prove I am innocent.... still not understanding the logic. My phone is not tapped... this sounds too much like "Conspiracy Theory" :eek:

I'm so tired of everyone bitching about our government. Granted, it's not anywhere near perfect, we are humans living in an imperfect society, better get used to it. but seriously, I think it's a damn fine place to live and proud to call it home, and I can think of many other places that are much WORSE and not many that are better. I think anyone watching the news for 5 minutes could come to that conclusion. I'm willing to sacrifice privacy for safety in the long run, and personally, I have nothing THAT private to hide in the first place. Go ahead, tap my phones, monitor my computer and flag which books I check out from the library. Big, hairy deal if doing those things to people that DO have something to hide nails them to the wall.

while we're on the subject, can anyone tell me how the breakdown of the $85 works? For DH and I it was like $110 to the US Dept. of State and $60 to the US Postmaster. Wondering if they deliver it in a gold, engraved envelope for that $60 fee. :D

Just had to respond. DS got passport when he went to Italy when he was a senior in HS in 2000. He was amazed at the tight security at foreign airports--soldiers with guns pointed at people, etc. The rest of us (five, including 3 boys ranging in ages 11-18) applied for passports in Dec. and received them in exactly 2 weeks! We are cruising to Mexico and Belize this summer and believe it is in OUR best interests to get passport. No, it does not prove we are not terriorists, but I never thought that was the reason to get a passport. I believe the passport is a great protection for all of us, if G*D forbid, a natural disaster or some other incident occurs. That passsport is my key to my government's protection. They will contact family back home, help you evacuate, assist you in many ways. No, they don't investigate me to make sure I am not a terriorist when I apply for a passport, but they will assist me if needed!:)

Let's get back to the cruising aspect. Do you think if passports are required and people refuse to get them that cruise prices might come down? Sometimes I'd like to take a fairly last minute (1 month out) cruise but can't find any deals or rooms. If enough people quit cruising this might be a good thing for us passport holders.

Let's get back to the cruising aspect. Do you think if passports are required and people refuse to get them that cruise prices might come down? Sometimes I'd like to take a fairly last minute (1 month out) cruise but can't find any deals or rooms. If enough people quit cruising this might be a good thing for us passport holders.

Won't happen.

On our first cruise we used our birth certificates and drivers license. When we booked our second cruise I immediately went to the post office and picked up passport applications. I was suprised how much faster the people who had passports were processed on and off the ship.

We cruised in June with our 2 girls and when we came through customs, the agent asked DD9 what her parent's and little sister's names were and what month they were born in. It didn't bother me that he was making sure that we were her parents, but he told me that if we had passports for them, then it would be much easier. So we applied for them and they came in the mail today - no gold envelope!

I just think that in today's world, it's a good idea to have one as proof of your citizenship.

The government is tapping privet phone lines, feeling people up while going through security, and arresting people for suspicions without any real evidence. (Two words patriot act). This is all done in the name of national security. We should not live in a police state. Having a passport might not be that big of a deal but when you add it all together it is a big deal. People are allowing the trampling of the constitution in the name of national security. I for one don't like it.

Stretch I think I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. THIS (above) has to be one of the most rediculous statements.

Tapping private phone lines? Give me a freakin' break. Do you have any idea how difficult it is (legally) to tap a phone? I suspect not. As far as the Patriot Act.....it's about time.

As another poster said, do you really think that the info provided on a passport application is something the Government doesn't already have? To think that is NAIVE...full stop...end of story. ANY one of the alphabet soup agencies can get ANY type of information about you without you even knowing it.:rolleyes:

Again, as another poster said you're free to leave at any time.

Perhaps I was misunderstood?

I think it has more to do with Homeland Security. I think it's a good idea. I want all the security my government can offer me.:)

I don't think requiring passports is really a question of Homeland Security. The pre-registration that we all go through now was a requirement of Homeland Secuirty. From Cruise Critics Rules and Regulations: "The DHS now requires cruise lines to provide a passenger manifest 96 hours before entering into any U.S. port." It would seem that the government knows ALL about us before we even leave the port. By doing that, we're already "cleared" before we leave the ship and with the new photo matching system with the S&S when you leave and return to the ship, they have a pretty good system set up.

In the event of a disaster or emergency when off the ship though, as many have mentioned, a passport could make all the difference in the world. Too late for this year's cruise, but will probably get them before our 2006 cruise.

Hi all,

Just a quick thought? What truly is the big deal? I carry my passport, a legal raised seal official copy of my b.c., and my driver's license. Again, in my mind it is for my safety when travelling anywhere abroad. Granted when I first got it I did so mostly for ease and convenience, but soon realized how much easier travel became. Yes, it took a few weeks to get, yes, I hate the picture on it, and yes, I didn't enjoy spending the money for it, but I have gained peace of mind, and isn't that priceless? Anyhow, I understand that cost is an issue with many of us, so why wait and get passports at the same exact time for all family members?? Just a thought. Smile folks. Enjoy your life, it is your life and it's too short to waste.

I personally feel it is a good idea after post 9/11/. More security the better as far as I am concerned. I don't think it will stop people from cruising because a passport will be required..... Today $85 is a bargain for 10 years.

A classic definition of paranoia. So I guess if we fire all of the INS and Border Patrol Agents along with the ATF and FBI, and let anyone who desires come across our borders including those who's avowed purpose in life is to kill Americans and destroy America we'll be safer? Please...

If you have not noticed yet, the world in which we live is a much more dangerous place than even 10-20 years ago. And I assure you, WHEN the next attack on our country occurs (and it will at some point), the U.S. security apparatus will ramp up even more. And thank God for those brave people who put themselves in harms way to protect all of us. Now you can even say you heard it here first.

Before anyone starts criticizing the US for requiring something simple like passports and adherence to rules, please talk about about virtually every other European country who often have demonstrably more stringent entry and exit requirements for even their own citizens then we do for foreigners in the same vociferous manner. In the end, its all boiling down to either get a passport if you want to cruise, take a risk of having your trip made a mess because you just did not want to comply or just go to Wallyworld. Crusielines will not stop being popular just because a few people cannot nor will not get their passports.

I haven't actually needed a passport for 30 years now. Went to Europe in my teens...haven't been back yet. But, since then, I've always had a passport. For trips to Mexico/Alaska/Caribbean/Canada. And even for flights to Las Vegas...less than an hour away.

It's just something i "budget for".

. I think they're protecting themselves since there is a lot of confusion with different bc's (hospital issued vs. government issued)

I don't believe this is a newsflash, but hospital issued birth certificates have NEVER been valid for anything other than a nice momento.

Wooops...sorry, didn't realize Cotton had already reponded to this

Archived