Breakfast in the Pinnacle

Crazy Gramps

Max, I'm with ya in that HAL could perhaps win over some "hearts & minds" if they would give suite occupants a heads up before their cruise begins, that "breakfast at the Pinnacle" will not be available for the first two mornings due to enhanced anti-Noro meassures on the ship. HAL's record in doing this however, has not always been super strong:cool: Why? Dunno; they could probably save themselves some headaches. Then again, some pax will not be happy even if they received such notice; go figure!

Max, I'm with ya in that HAL could perhaps win over some "hearts & minds" if they would give suite occupants a heads up before their cruise begins, that "breakfast at the Pinnacle" will not be available for the first two mornings due to enhanced anti-Noro meassures on the ship. HAL's record in doing this however, has not always been super strong:cool: Why? Dunno; they could probably save themselves some headaches. Then again, some pax will not be happy even if they received such notice; go figure!

Copper John, that's all we have been saying. if it's not there for the whole cruise, lay the cards on the table. I sent and enquiry to DBA to see if he can lay some light on this or convey concerns to HAL. If I knew in advance, i would be fine, it's the surprise that takes you aback. As to Noro, must be for other parts of the ship because the Pinnacle is open at night! and yes, let the people know so that when they book their suites they do it knowing what they are getting.

.............. As to Noro, must be for other parts of the ship because the Pinnacle is open at night! and yes, let the people know so that when they book their suites they do it knowing what they are getting.

Sorry Jacqui, but the PG not being open for breakfast for the first two mornings does appear to be "Noro related". Another poster stated that the HM on the ship he was on, stated that the PG staff was needed to augment the Lido Restaurant staff due to the new "anti-Noro" measures (no self-service) there. I guess they determined that it's better to utilize the PG staff for that purpose, rather than the entertainment staff which you usually see in there (the Lido) assisting with food service during a full Code Red. But yes, advanced notice would be advantageous to HAL and certain suite occupants;)

I have to say I'm amazed at the response here. There have always been deluxe suites on HAL ships at much higher prices, but there's no question they did not always have the Pinnacle available. The Pinnacle is relatively "new" (the last several years).

They are not taking away your food, they are simply not providing you the luxury of dining among a smaller group a few mornings. I must be missing something here, but I just don't see the big deal. The deluxe suites and the extra service provided is sufficient in and of itself to warrant a higher cost than us steerage passengers receive.

Not to be able to eat in the Pinnacle 3 mornings would hardly make or break the deal for me, but maybe that's why I'm in steerage and those who are so upset about this are not. I guess they just have a much higher standard that is out of my scope of comprehension. It's entirely possible.

We've never dined in the PG and haven't missed it at all. I know a lot of people love dining there for breakfast, but it just really doesn't matter to us. We almost always do room service. On our last cruise we dined in the Lido for breakfast one time, the rest of the time we used room service. HAL's room service options are wonderful! While breakfast in the PG is one of the options, it's not one we use. Maybe this cutback has more to do with the fact that the PG is pretty much deserted during the breakfast hours ... or was when we have been on our cruises, rather than Code Red precautions.

On the other hand, we love the NL and would hate to see food not served there for 2-3 days. What matters to me, may not matter to the person in the next cabin.

John your point is well taken an given those options I believe the choice is obvious :D :eek: But if HAL had and/or redirected other staff to cover the LIDO if this "policy" is going to continue then the perk could also be given as advertised.

It's not a question of either one or the other, passenger/crew safety would not be compromised if sufficient staff was available. If not then modify the perk list to say "breakfast in the Pinnacle for Deluxe suite pax when staffing levels allow" there that will go over like a fart in church... :D :p ;)

Our next cruise is costing us $2,000 more than the identical one a little over a year ago. We're interested to see how the service, etc. compares to our past cruises. This is a lot of money to us, so I am going to be very disappointed if things have declined. Now if they bump us up to the PH, I'd even load my own luggage onto the ship. :)

Uhm, let's see, this could be a tough one:

Puking your guts out/saying hi to Ralph plus simultaneously having the uncontrolled runs from your lowest orifice and being confined to quarters for 48 hrs

or

Not having the ability to partake in breakfast in the PG (but still having three other breakfast options, four for some, if you count the Neptune) for 48 hrs

Decisions, decisions:cool:

This is true. Sadly, we picked up the Noro last summer. I remember thinking no wonder they carry people off the ships on stretchers. I can't remember every being as sick as we were and was thankful that we didn't have to get on an airplane. We were so sick that I thought we were going to have to have one of our kids come and get us and take us home. It's rough stuff.

Sorry Jacqui, but the PG not being open for breakfast for the first two mornings does appear to be "Noro related". Another poster stated that the HM on the ship he was on, stated that the PG staff was needed to augment the Lido Restaurant staff due to the new "anti-Noro" measures (no self-service) there. I guess they determined that it's better to utilize the PG staff for that purpose, rather than the entertainment staff which you usually see in there (the Lido) assisting with food service during a full Code Red. But yes, advanced notice would be advantageous to HAL and certain suite occupants;)

thanks John. I get it. so then it does sound like this will be a permanent thing so yes, advance notice is all that's required and then life is good again.:o

This is true. Sadly, we picked up the Noro last summer. I remember thinking no wonder they carry people off the ships on stretchers. I can't remember every being as sick as we were and was thankful that we didn't have to get on an airplane. We were so sick that I thought we were going to have to have one of our kids come and get us and take us home. It's rough stuff.

On my Alaska cruise on Zuiderdam last year, I was right behind a woman being taken off on a stretcher hooked up to an IV. Such a sad sight and I remember feeling so very sorry for her cruise to be ending this way. We never went into full blown code red on my cruise but I remember reading that the next one started that way.

People, for the love of pete, wash your hands!

I asked DBA (Dutch by Association) for his input. Here is my post and his reply.

Hi DBA, there is thread about breakfast in the pinnacle grill for suites. Question is why is the pinnacle grill unavailable to the suite guests for breakfast on the first two/three days of the cruise? Some say it is code red, but the pinnacle is open for dinner?

It was suggested that we ask you. Or perhaps you can take the concern to HAL. HAL states that eating in the pinnacle for breakfast is one of the perks for being a suite guest. And it is a very nice perk. Is there a way that they can change this back to the full cruise/ let passengers know in advance if this trend is going to continue? The thread is below, for your reference.

Hope you can enlighten us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1216152

Thanks so much as always for your tremendous help. Jacqui

Hey Jacqui,

Unfortunately I must decline to get involved in that thread. Due to the 'bashing' that is occurring in which numerous folks that are high level Mariners have decided to declare with no lack of definitiveness that we have cut staff (not true) and are false advertising (also not true) I, on a personal level have decided not to get involved in that thread. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

It kind of disturbs me that we are now 'bashing' HAL. I have been a loyal cruiser and it was just the principle of the thing to me. I have no problem if they need the people to help with anti NORO protocol but I do think that HAL should tell you in advance. Our last cruise I brought two other couples into Deluxe Verandah's for the first time and the one thing they liked was the Pinnacle. I looked (or felt) like a fool when we couldn't eat there for the first three days. Glad it wasn't a 7 day cruise.

On my Alaska cruise on Zuiderdam last year, I was right behind a woman being taken off on a stretcher hooked up to an IV. Such a sad sight and I remember feeling so very sorry for her cruise to be ending this way. We never went into full blown code red on my cruise but I remember reading that the next one started that way.

People, for the love of pete, wash your hands!

This really knocked us for a loop ... and ours came on so suddenly. It makes me sick to think that this doesn't have to happen. Like you said, just wash your hands. I carry Lysol with me and spray the rooms. We don't touch doorhandles. We don't touch handrails. We never use public restrooms if we can avoid doing so, and yet being very cautious didn't help us at all. There is only so much you can do if others aren't careful. IMO, whatever HAL does to curb the Noro, I am thankful.

?

Room service breakfast does not taste the same if you are ordering eggs. No one's fault, takes time to deliver.

Just my two cents worth. Jacqui

I agree. On our last cruise the end of Jan. our breakfast was cold most of the time. I complained to room service, did no good, toast and eggs were still cold .:( We are not early risers so we don't normally do the PG. We are in a suite but prefer room service. On our next cruise this might change so we can have warm food at least the last part of the cruise. We don't eat sweet rolls, etc. that the Neptune serves since we are both diabetic. Oh well things could be worse. We also save up for a year in advance so we can book a suite, just our choice.;)

I do agree with the others that if the PG will not be open the first 3 days then lower the cost of the suite.:rolleyes: I feel a flame coming.

Most people I know worked hard for their money. DH and I certainly were not among the very lucky who inherited a fortune. Anything we might have, we worked very, very hard for.... and DH continues to work very, very hard.

You also have no monopoly on feeling very, very blessed and happy to be on any cruise. As the saying goes, "Get in line and take a number" . Most of us feel the same way. Nothing unique about that.

I never do well with hypotheticals about any subject. I don't know what would bother me or not; what I would do or not; what I would agree to or not until I am in the situation. Until I've had those moccasins on my feet, I don't know how they feel.

I use <snip> (which I learned to do here) to assure it is clear what I am quoting from your post is not your entire post. It shows I have "snipped" a portion from your comment in the event someone thinks I may have taken it out of context they know to go look for the rest of your words.

It is often considered courteous to do so.

Have never used a small portion of a comment but shall consider doing so in the future - I appreciate the info and agree it is courteous :)

Have happy cruisin'!

I have a question regarding 2or 3 days of breakfast in PG will that be a standard from now on for all the Hal cruises? I’ m just wondering because we will be on a 7 day Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in January and if PG is closed off for 3 days out of 7 that is almost half a cruise without relaxing breakfast place, that will be a big disappointment for DH and I :confused:

Have never used a small portion of a comment but shall consider doing so in the future - I appreciate the info and agree it is courteous :)

Have happy cruisin'!

Another very acceptable way to use only a portion of someone's post is to include "......." where part is left out. That is also done in magazines, newspapers and the like. It makes it apparent that you have not used the entire post which simply takes up too much space. So much nicer to just use the portion of the post you're addressing.

Back on subject, I completely understand people who would simply like to be told in advance, but has anyone stated this is permanent? I know it was in force when we cruised in March, but I don't remember reading a thing about it before that on CC. Noro often comes in waves and it may well be this is not permanent.

So if you book a cruise now for the Fall, HAL wouldn't want to say "oh by the way, you may or may not be able to have breakfast in the Pinnacle for 2 mornings" because maybe you could.

Since this amenity for suite passengers seems so important to those posting here, the only answer that I can see is for HAL to simply remove listing it as a benefit until you are actually board.

The whole thing could get silly when you think about it. Maybe their printer breaks down and we don't get stationery in our cabins. Would that make us crazy? Maybe the laundry isn't available for a day for some unknown reason .... should they let us know months ahead this could happen?

Good for DBA for staying out of the fray because he's d**ned if he does, d**ned if he doesn't.

Sometimes in life we just have to go with the flow ... stuff happens and we don't always get every little thing we hoped we would. I am confident that somewhere in the HAL passenger contract it states that not all amenities will necessarily be available all the time. And if it doesn't, it will very soon:).

You know how I feel about breakfast in the Pinnacle. It is the only reason we are willing to pay extra for a suite. Take it away, and the suite is not so important to us anymore.

Like the previous post about not having the use of your balcony, even though you thought it was included in your fare? ....................)

I have often been unable to use our balcony due to high winds, rain, cold. It never occurred to me to be upset about it beyond saying "Darn it! I didn't even get to use my balcony most days".

As to my post coming through too strong, understand that all my posts here are not directed specifically to you. There are several people upset about this at various levels. Much of what I've written is in reaction to the overall "feel" of the reaction; not just one person.

I have a question regarding 2or 3 days of breakfast in PG will that be a standard from now on for all the Hal cruises? I’ m just wondering because we will be on a 7 day Nieuw Amsterdam cruise in January and if PG is closed off for 3 days out of 7 that is almost half a cruise without relaxing breakfast place, that will be a big disappointment for DH and I :confused:

The new "anti-Noro" precautions in the Lido (no self service for 48 hrs) started on all HAL ships around March of this year. They go in effect from the time pax boarding starts, so around 1100-1130 hrs. They usually last for 48 hours so around 1200 hrs on the 2nd day of the cruise (embarkation day, 1st day, 2nd day) the Lido should open up to self-service with the plastic wrapping removed from the "sneeze guards" of the buffet stations and the beverage (coffee/tea/water/ice tea) stations plus the orange juice/yogurt (for breakfast) stations going back to self-service. That would also free up the PG staff to go back to their "normal" duties in the PG. Unless, of course, HAL finds that extra manpower for the first 48 hrs in the Lido elsewhere onboard. Perhaps we'll soon see the captain, chief engineer and environmental officer serving prune juice and Mueslix in the Lido while breakfast is being professionaly served in the PG ;)

It is unknown at this time how long HAL will keep those measures in place in the Lido but, chances are, if there is a notable decrease of Noro outbreaks on the (soon to be) 15 dam ships, you could be looking at a permanent thing;)

I asked DBA (Dutch by Association) for his input. Here is my post and his reply.

Hi DBA, there is thread about breakfast in the pinnacle grill for suites. Question is why is the pinnacle grill unavailable to the suite guests for breakfast on the first two/three days of the cruise? Some say it is code red, but the pinnacle is open for dinner?

It was suggested that we ask you. Or perhaps you can take the concern to HAL. HAL states that eating in the pinnacle for breakfast is one of the perks for being a suite guest. And it is a very nice perk. Is there a way that they can change this back to the full cruise/ let passengers know in advance if this trend is going to continue? The thread is below, for your reference.

Hope you can enlighten us.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1216152

Thanks so much as always for your tremendous help. Jacqui

Hey Jacqui,

Unfortunately I must decline to get involved in that thread. Due to the 'bashing' that is occurring in which numerous folks that are high level Mariners have decided to declare with no lack of definitiveness that we have cut staff (not true) and are false advertising (also not true) I, on a personal level have decided not to get involved in that thread. Sorry I cannot be of more help.

It kind of disturbs me that we are now 'bashing' HAL. I have been a loyal cruiser and it was just the principle of the thing to me. I have no problem if they need the people to help with anti NORO protocol but I do think that HAL should tell you in advance. Our last cruise I brought two other couples into Deluxe Verandah's for the first time and the one thing they liked was the Pinnacle. I looked (or felt) like a fool when we couldn't eat there for the first three days. Glad it wasn't a 7 day cruise.

Thanks for printing this response on this thread ... I wondered if DBA would respond when you said you would ask his opinion.

I don't think he is saying EVERYONE is bashing HAL.

He is talking about some people who are "high level Mariners" who have made untrue statements about HAL staffing and have accused the cruise line of false advertising.

I can see why his loyalty to HAL is directing his reluctance to get mixed up in this thread.

And why he appears unhappy that such accusations are being made here.

It is one thing to be disappointed by no breakfast in the PG while this new protocol is in effect.

It is quite another to accuse HAL of false advertising.

I am sure those in the upper echelons of HAL are not pleased seeing some of the line's best customers making such accusations.

Let's hope the whole thing gets straightened out, and HAL can tweak its listing of suite perks to reflect the new reality.

Sometimes it's only a matter of the website catching up with new policies.

The new "anti-Noro" precautions in the Lido (no self service for 48 hrs) started on all HAL ships around March of this year. They go in effect from the time pax boarding starts, so around 1100-1130 hrs. They usually last for 48 hours so around 1200 hrs on the 2nd day of the cruise (embarkation day, 1st day, 2nd day) the Lido should open up to self-service with the plastic wrapping removed from the "sneeze guards" of the buffet stations and the beverage (coffee/tea/water/ice tea) stations plus the orange juice/yogurt (for breakfast) stations going back to self-service. That would also free up the PG staff to go back to their "normal" duties in the PG. Unless, of course, HAL finds that extra manpower for the first 48 hrs in the Lido elsewhere onboard. Perhaps we'll soon see the captain, chief engineer and environmental officer serving prune juice and Mueslix in the Lido while breakfast is being professionaly served in the PG ;)

It is unknown at this time how long HAL will keep those measures in place in the Lido but, chances are, if there is a notable decrease of Noro outbreaks on the (soon to be) 15 dam ships, you could be looking at a permanent thing;)

so funny i can just picture it :all of them in formal wear serving Muslix with yogurt i would pay to see that!!!!!!!:) haahhahaha

Or tweak reality to make it match the listed suite perks! ;)

Yeah - I get your point. :)

But I was addressing the allegations of false advertising ... and the requests that HAL be upfront about the changes to its suite guests.

The way to do that would be to make the wording online match the reality onboard.

Archived