Breakfast in the Pinnacle

Crazy Gramps

Thanks for printing this response on this thread ... I wondered if DBA would respond when you said you would ask his opinion.

I don't think he is saying EVERYONE is bashing HAL.

He is talking about some people who are "high level Mariners" who have made untrue statements about HAL staffing and have accused the cruise line of false advertising.

I can see why his loyalty to HAL is directing his reluctance to get mixed up in this thread.

And why he appears unhappy that such accusations are being made here.

It is one thing to be disappointed by no breakfast in the PG while this new protocol is in effect.

It is quite another to accuse HAL of false advertising.

I am sure those in the upper echelons of HAL are not pleased seeing some of the line's best customers making such accusations.

Let's hope the whole thing gets straightened out, and HAL can tweak its listing of suite perks to reflect the new reality.

Sometimes it's only a matter of the website catching up with new policies.

Thanks Oceanwench.

I didn't ask DBA to join the thread though, just if he could offer insight. From what I can see it will be permanent, especially with Copper John's input. Frankly it doesn't bother me if it is, if i know about it in advance, however, Hal people shouldn't be flamed for saying it's not what was advertised, because it's not. especially if they were on a 7 day cruise! I can understand their concern. Well it may be petty to Heather it is obviously important to others.

Yes, there are a lot of people on the board who are high level mariners and are booking suites. It's a shame because these are regular cruisers who book Hal's money makers.

don't get me wrong. I love HAL and I love the suites, but I am fortunate that I don't book 7 day cruises. They can't change the brochures, but it doesn't take much to change a website. all they have to do is say something like this......"In the interest of protecting our passengers from the Noro Virus, the pinnacle grill staff will be assisting in other areas of the ship. Breakfast will be available after..........days that the ship has left port."

Not well worded probably, but just something like that.

i think most people were upset because they thought they were getting something that didn't materialize. I think most people would be understanding of Noro prevention. However, some people think if there were more staff, they wouldn`t have to use the PG. I don`t know. I don`t run a cruise ship.

I doubt the upper echelons of HAL are reading this thread. If they are, we should see a change in the website. Just my 2 cents and while it might be upsetting that high level mariners are upset, then I think it`s worth taking note of. so easy to fix. just let people know what they are getting. I don`t think anyone would really mind (or would make a different decision if it was that important) if they knew in advance.

I am not one to read the fine print - I leave it to the one in the house with the law degree - but I know there are sometimes disclaimers about the availability of things.

For instance, when someone posts here and moans about missing a port due to weather [usually HMC] -- they're quickly told that HAL does not guarantee that the ship will call on every port as weather may dictate a change in course.

Or when a cabin doesn't look exactly the way its depicted on the HAL site, there is a disclaimer on that too ... rooms are "representative."

Is there some type of disclaimer on suite perks?

I noticed on another thread here about suite perks, KK listed them and inserted the words "maybe" before some of them, such as a VIP cocktail party with officers. There were one or two other perks also with her added "maybe."

So is breakfast in the PG another one of those "maybe" situations?

What if - to make up for the two or three days without a special room for breakfast - HAL offered another VIP cocktail party with officers? Would that make people happy?

I am not one to read the fine print - I leave it to the one in the house with the law degree - but I know there are sometimes disclaimers about the availability of things.

For instance, when someone posts here and moans about missing a port due to weather [usually HMC] -- they're quickly told that HAL does not guarantee that the ship will call on every port as weather may dictate a change in course.

Or when a cabin doesn't look exactly the way its depicted on the HAL site, there is a disclaimer on that too ... rooms are "representative."

Is there some type of disclaimer on suite perks?

I noticed on another thread here about suite perks, KK listed them and inserted the words "maybe" before some of them, such as a VIP cocktail party with officers. There were one or two other perks also with her added "maybe."

So is breakfast in the PG another one of those "maybe" situations?

What if - to make up for the two or three days without a special room for breakfast - HAL offered another VIP cocktail party with officers? Would that make people happy?

there is no `maybe`in the fine print for PG and for me, another cocktail party doesn`t matter. But I don`t want to speak for others on the thread. I am a planner. Ports are booked well in advance. Wine ordered on board, etc.

As long as I know up front, it is not a concern to me. If HAL wants to deliver a bottle of wine, fine, but not necessary.

why not just make sure the suites can get the tables for two or four in the MDR on those days for breakfast (and good service). and let the people know so they can plan and aren`t surprised. it`s not that complicated. no one has to give me anther cocktail party. (but again I just speak for me). Most people that I am hearing from on this thread like the quiet ambience and the good service in the PG and apparently, one or two just book suites to get this. (I got educated).

The only time you don`t get breakfast in the PG is one of the S ships when you eat in the King`s or Queen`s Room instead (and I will take that any day over the PG).

On the bright side, HAL now has a perk that means a lot to suite passengers so maybe they can find a way to use this in their marketing!

I think just for fun I'm going to haul out my last contract and read the fine print because I am betting there's something in there in the form of a disclaimer saying that not everything can be made available all the time.

Heck, on Prisendam they closed the Lido when we had gale force winds and seas crashing over the top deck!!!! Everyone very happily headed to the warmth and comfort of the MDR. I didn't hear one complaint .... we were just happy to get out of that mess the next day!

Thanks Oceanwench.

Yes, there are a lot of people on the board who are high level mariners and are booking suites. It's a shame because these are regular cruisers who book Hal's money makers.

i think most people were upset because they thought they were getting something that didn't materialize. I think most people would be understanding of Noro prevention. However, some people think if there were more staff, they wouldn`t have to use the PG. I don`t know. I don`t run a cruise ship.

It's just not the suites that make money for HAL. If every other cabin was empty I'm sure they wouldn't be making enough money on these suites.

If they did get more staff...where would they sleep:confused:. I'm sure all the crew rooms they have are full.

Heck, on Prisendam they closed the Lido when we had gale force winds and seas crashing over the top deck!!!! Everyone very happily headed to the warmth and comfort of the MDR. I didn't hear one complaint .... we were just happy to get out of that mess the next day!

What...you mean no one was complaining that they paid for the Lido and they want it;). I've had some rough seas...but that sounds brutal:eek:.

When did HAL actually start closing the PG for breakfast for those first 2 days of each cruise? How recently? Is it closed on all ships? Is it just since the ships went to their summer port locations or had it started while ships were in the Caribbean?

From what I have read on the thread (but I will probably be corrected), it started in March. It was in effect when we went on our Panama in April and that is considered a Caribbean.

What...you mean no one was complaining that they paid for the Lido and they want it;). I've had some rough seas...but that sounds brutal:eek:.

I know! Astounding, isn't it??? Not one person said "I want my Lido!!!":).

I've just poured over the cruise contract and everyone is right. There is nothing there suggesting that certain amenities may not always be available. It does say, however, that if you have a "beef" (they didn't use that word;)) and wish to file suit, you must do so within 30 days of your cruise. So fair warning.

But I have to confess complete confusion. I went to the page listing the perks for Deluxe Suites and there is NOTHING there about a Pinnacle breakfast. Has this recently been removed? Are they that up to date?

Because here is what is listed as of this moment:

Deluxe Suite

Lower beds convertible to 1 king-size bed, a large sitting area, dressing room, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 2 persons, floor-to-ceiling windows, no-host mini-bar and walk-in closet*, (488-700 sq. ft. with verandah*).

*Refer to Deck Plans for specific information

Include all the Deluxe Suite amenities, plus:

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
  • Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
  • Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
  • Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
  • Cocktail party with ship officers
  • Priority boarding for tender ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests
  • Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length
  • A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

From what I have read on the thread (but I will probably be corrected), it started in March. It was in effect when we went on our Panama in April and that is considered a Caribbean.

You're right on!;) Around March

I know! Astounding, isn't it??? Not one person said "I want my Lido!!!":).

But I have to confess complete confusion. I went to the page listing the perks for Deluxe Suites and there is NOTHING there about a Pinnacle breakfast. Has this recently been removed? Are they that up to date?

Because here is what is listed as of this moment:

[*]Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only

I presume this is what people are taking as the Pinnacle breakfast service, though it could be a suite-only breakfast in any venue, including a separate section of the MDR where only suite guests would be seated. It certainly doesn't specify the PG.

Has anyone who is upset about no Pinnacle breakfast for the first 2 days per cruise actually talked with an officer about the problem while on board? It's been policy since March, so I would think those suite guests who are now upset would have said something while on their ship. If not they must not have been that perturbed about it then.

Deluxe Verandah Suites

Category: SA, SB, SC, SQ(Spa Suite)

520XDlxVerSuite.jpg3D_DlxVerSuite.jpg

Icon_DeckPlan.gif 2 lower beds convertible to 1 king-size bed, bathroom with dual sink vanity, full-size whirlpool bath, shower and additional shower stall, large sitting area, dressing room, private verandah, 1 sofa bed for 2 persons, floor-to-ceiling windows. Approximately 460-700 sq. ft. with verandah

Suite amenities include:

• Complimentary laundry, pressing and dry cleaning throughout your cruise
  • Premium duvet, oversize bath towels and soft, cotton bathrobes and slippers
  • Gorgeous corsages and boutonnieres for the first formal night
  • Hors d'oeuvres served before dinner each evening on request
  • Binoculars and umbrellas for your use on the cruise
  • Cocktail party with ship officers
  • Priority boarding for tender ports of call
  • Special disembarkation service
  • Priority dining and seating requests

• Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only
  • High tea service in suite on request
  • A special Suite guest lunch event on cruises over 7 days in length
  • A very special amenity exclusively for guests cruising in a Deluxe Verandah Suite or Penthouse Verandah Suite, the industry-leading Neptune Lounge features a private place to relax, socialize with other suite guests and enjoy the personalized service of a concierge. The fleet-wide lounges provide worktables, large screen television, library, sofas and chairs, refreshments throughout the day and wi-fi for a small charge. One-Touch 24-hour Concierge Service is available when the Neptune Lounge is closed.

I presume this is what people are taking as the Pinnacle breakfast service, though it could be a suite-only breakfast in any venue, including a separate section of the MDR where only suite guests would be seated. It certainly doesn't specify the PG.

Agree. HAL's web site says the following:

"Exclusive daily breakfast service for suite guests only"

i just would like to find out if on our next cruise this upcoming january it will be the same thing our cruise is only for 7 days, it is not a deal breaker for us but i just want to know if i will only be able to use pG for breakfast half the cruise:confused: or daily like Hal web site is advertising :confused:just some clarity and explanation will go a long way , nobody is upset or angry i think most of us just want to know clearly yes or no on that PG breakfast issue

Has anyone who is upset about no Pinnacle breakfast for the first 2 days per cruise actually talked with an officer about the problem while on board? It's been policy since March, so I would think those suite guests who are now upset would have said something while on their ship. If not they must not have been that perturbed about it then.

We were on the Oosterdam May 30 - June 6. I never made a complaint or talked to anyone about it. We just assumed it was due to the code red precautions. We wanted to do all that we could to prevent Noro virus, and, as I said in an earlier post, it was not a deal breaker for us. So we did not complain. I have to admit that I missed it and would have preferred to have had PG breakfast, but we just used Neptune Lounge for those days.

i just would like to find out if on our next cruise this upcoming january it will be the same thing our cruise is only for 7 days, it is not a deal breaker for us but i just want to know if i will only be able to use pG for breakfast half the cruise:confused: or daily like Hal web site is advertising :confused:just some clarity and explanation will go a long way , nobody is upset or angry i think most of us just want to know clearly yes or no on that PG breakfast issue

I think I would write or call HAL's Ship Services and ask, if enough people express their concern then perhaps they will step up to the plate and give a definitive answer.

Where on HAL's website are you seeing the PG breakfast service offered for suite guests? I can't find it.

Nothing about Pinnacle Grill. "exclusive daily breakfast service" does NOT mean Pinnacle grill.

Heck .... it could mean "service" to your room, to your balcony, in a corner of the MDR.

I'm just not getting it at all now.

Didn't anyone look this up before? I was assuming it said PInnacle Grill, but as I posted on the last page this is the first time I even looked and there is NOTHING about it! It's almost funny ... 9 pages of this.

'Exclusive Daily Breakfast Service for Suite Guests' can mean something as simple as room service will honor orders such as Eggs Benedict or Belgian Waffles from suite guests but not to everyone on the ship. With no mention of the PG on the list of perks, accusing HAL of false advertising and not getting what you paid for really warrants an apology.

What do you mean "almost," Heather? :D

Good point. I looked at the amenities list last night but it didn't jump out at me -- that it never included the words Pinnacle Grill.

Also I noticed it says gorgeous corsages ... and the one I got was not gorgeous. Can I get OBC or some compensation? :D

'Exclusive Daily Breakfast Service for Suite Guests' can mean something as simple as room service will honor orders such as Eggs Benedict or Belgian Waffles from suite guests but not to everyone on the ship. With no mention of the PG on the list of perks, accusing HAL of false advertising and not getting what you paid for really warrants an apology.

It has however, been "past practice" and many have come to expect it, if they are going to change the venue or eliminate it, it seems fair to inform those guests of that change.

As I have been reading all the posts I got to thinking. We are all worried about not getting to use the PG, me included made some comments, and not one thought for all of those that are suffering from the oil spill. Their fishing boats can not be used, oil on the beaches, those poor water creatures, etc., etc.:o We are blessed to beable to cruise. I guess 2 days are really not that much of a hardship. Just a thought and I'll leave it at that. My prayers are with all of those people and animals.

Archived