Breakfast in the Pinnacle

Crazy Gramps

On the Noordam last month collector cruise pinnacle was closed until the third

morning for both cruises. I questioned the hotel manager and was told that they needed the staff for the lido. So just one more perk gone.

On the Noordam last month collector cruise pinnacle was closed until the third

morning for both cruises. I questioned the hotel manager and was told that they needed the staff for the lido. So just one more perk gone.

I'm disappointed but not surprised!

Herein, however, lies the 'rub' - if they hired more staff to service the PG for 'S' pax for breakfast 'cause they need more folks staffing the Lido or MDR (to try & eliminate the nasty viruses going around which, unfortunately, seem to be here to stay) :(...then my question is:

Are 'S' pax willing to pay more to get this perk 'cause the cruiseline wld have to increase the fares to pay for more staff or 'heavan forbid' make less profit for their shareholders (of which I am sure lots of 'S' pax are) :)?

If raising fares isn't an option and likely won't be for awhile at least, then I predict that more perks will fall by the wayside in the next few yrs also..:(

Have happy cruisin' :)

Ok, Copper and Heather... y'all can have fun with me! :) But those silly little breakfasts are important to us. I don't know how to explain it, but that doesn't really matter. We could easily skip breakfast entirely, or be happy munching dry cereal, but not when stretching our budget for a suite, and then getting surprised...

I figure there must be something special about your cruises that would make you upset if after boarding you suddenly found it was gone... and, yes, if I found out what that was, and thought it was silly, I would have fun with you too!

<snip>

Are 'S' pax willing to pay more to get this perk 'cause the cruiseline wld have to increase the fares to pay for more staff or 'heavan forbid' make less profit for their shareholders (of which I am sure lots of 'S' pax are) ? <snip>

Yes, the Suite pax are paying more for the opportunity to have breakfast in Pinnacle Grill. The higher fare for suite accomodations include certain features and that is one of them.

Ok, Copper and Heather... y'all can have fun with me! :) But those silly little breakfasts are important to us. I don't know how to explain it, but that doesn't really matter. We could easily skip breakfast entirely, or be happy munching dry cereal, but not when stretching our budget for a suite, and then getting surprised...

I figure there must be something special about your cruises that would make you upset if after boarding you suddenly found it was gone... and, yes, if I found out what that was, and thought it was silly, I would have fun with you too!

Actually I was on the Zuiderdam in 2005 and the refrigeration system broke. They stopped serving ice cream ... then all of a sudden there were no fresh eggs or milk or cream ... :eek: Desserts were AWFUL. I think on the last night we all got a glass of champagne to compensate, which did not go over well with most people.

I go to Disney World a lot and sometimes my favorite rides are shut down for refurbishment ... darn! But that's how it goes. I'm disappointed, but then I think that being at Disney for the weekend - or week! - even without my favorite ride - is still pretty magical!

I feel the same way about a cruise. There might be disappointments here and there - missing HMC, having the aft pool off-limits due to a private party - but there's enough other *good* stuff on the cruise to keep me happy!

Desserts were AWFUL. !

I think that's been the case on HAL for a few years now:D. I don't eat sugar at home except for Xmas so when I go on a cruise I want something nasty:eek:. Their desserts are hardly worth wasting calories on now.

.................!

Marsha, honestly ... speaking only for myself I'm not making fun of you. And Copper's not making fun of you (I don't think) ... he's making fun of me.

I admit I don't get the fuss, but then there are things that are important to me that wouldn't be to you. And we've been cruising since 1982 .... there are a lot of things we used to get on cruises we don't get anymore and I miss them. Cruising isn't even what it once was for me, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Have you tried breakfast on that wonderful balcony? To me there is nothing more relaxing, enjoyable, private. And it's all the same food .... that we've all agreed on.

Despite what some are saying here, HAL does not charge a lot for its product even in suites when you compare to a comparable resort. And while it's something I understand you will miss, you really can't put a price on what you enjoy about the Pinnacle. Again, it's the same food so we're talking about something else:)

So I just don't think saying you're paying for that perk is a valid argument. You like it, you want it and that's okay. But it's more important to keep the Noro virus off the ship.

I just don't see how anyone can argue that point.

... I feel the same way about a cruise. There might be disappointments here and there - missing HMC, having the aft pool off-limits due to a private party - but there's enough other *good* stuff on the cruise to keep me happy!

Excellent post. I understand, and agree with, your point. "Stuff" happens. Ordinarily, we handle it well when things go wrong. But, apparently no one seems to get what I have been trying to dance around, so I will be blunt...

We are only able to afford a cruise every few years if we want the amenities of a suite. We could maybe handle a cruise every other year in a balcony cabin. So, I would be really upset if I boarded and then found out the perk that meant the most to us, the thing that made us decide to wait that extra year and go for the suite, was diminished and no one bothered to tell us when we were making our decision. If we had known, we never would have booked a suite. It wouldn't have been worth it to us.

For us, it's the money... there, I said it!

If this is true and you can serve yourself in the Neptune even during Code Red, my concern is moot and I apologize for even bringing it up. I had just read in a post a few weeks ago that the new "first two days' Code Red" policy also required that the concierge serve any food in the Neptune. I guess we'll find out when we get onboard.

Thanks for all the info, everyone.

We were on the Oosterdam last week, and we still served ourselves in Neptune Lounge each day. We were walked to Neptune Lounge at embarkation, and food was out waiting for us. We were never told to wait for someone to serve us. We always served ourselves each time we were there, including the first 48 hours.

Thanks a bunch, TLHB70, for letting me know what the current situation is regarding the Neptune. It sounds like that will be the route we will take the first few days, as far as breakfast is concerned, since apparently the Pinnacle Grill will not be available and we avoid the Lido.

It is too bad some posters here seem to think that those of us in suites are not concerned about keeping the norovirus in check. That is not the case at all...but we don't like paying for an advertised "perk" and then not getting it. If it is going to be HAL's policy to close the Pinnacle Grill for breakfast the first few days (and how in the world that could prevent norovirus, I have no idea), they need to let those people who have booked suites know that this will be the case so they aren't unprepared when it happens. Yes, I know, stuff happens. But when HAL knows it is happening, they should let folks know.

Reminds me of our first cruise with HAL on the Oosterdam, when the port azipod was broken (had been broken for months) and they didn't tell anyone on subsequent cruises. Imagine our surprise when we got onboard, found out that all of our ports would be limited as far as time there due to the problem, and our lovely aft suite was darn near uninhabitable whenever the ship was at sea, because it was directly over the one working azipod, which caused violent vibrations due to working so hard to keep us moving at a decent pace. It took us 3 years after that cruise to agree to sail with HAL again...and that was only because we had such a horrible experience with NCL in between there that we decided to risk HAL again.

I believe that all cruise lines withhold potentially negative information from booked guests, for fear that the guests will cancel. But I just don't like the practice, don't like paying for something I don't get, and darn sure don't like the insinuation that I am somehow less concerned about other passengers' health because I want something I have paid for. Two@Sea, I'm with you.

Excellent post. I understand, and agree with, your point. "Stuff" happens. Ordinarily, we handle it well when things go wrong. But, apparently no one seems to get what I have been trying to dance around, so I will be blunt...

We are only able to afford a cruise every few years if we want the amenities of a suite. We could maybe handle a cruise every other year in a balcony cabin. So, I would be really upset if I boarded and then found out the perk that meant the most to us, the thing that made us decide to wait that extra year and go for the suite, was diminished and no one bothered to tell us when we were making our decision. If we had known, we never would have booked a suite. It wouldn't have been worth it to us.

For us, it's the money... there, I said it!

This is what is so good about cruise critic.....you get great info here that HAL doesn't feel the need to mention ahead of time. I can totally understand what you are saying but I'd love to have a plain old balcony. I'm feeling comfortable enough now to move from an inside to a oceanview so a balcony would be my dream. I work hard for my money and have to save for all mine too. Personally I feel blessed and happy to be on any cruise. If this is the thing that is really important to you and you are not getting it I wouldn't bother with the suite.

Marsha, honestly ... speaking only for myself I'm not making fun of you. And Copper's not making fun of you (I don't think) ... he's making fun of me.

I admit I don't get the fuss, but then there are things that are important to me that wouldn't be to you. And we've been cruising since 1982 .... there are a lot of things we used to get on cruises we don't get anymore and I miss them. Cruising isn't even what it once was for me, but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

Have you tried breakfast on that wonderful balcony? To me there is nothing more relaxing, enjoyable, private. And it's all the same food .... that we've all agreed on.

Despite what some are saying here, HAL does not charge a lot for its product even in suites when you compare to a comparable resort. And while it's something I understand you will miss, you really can't put a price on what you enjoy about the Pinnacle. Again, it's the same food so we're talking about something else:)

So I just don't think saying you're paying for that perk is a valid argument. You like it, you want it and that's okay. But it's more important to keep the Noro virus off the ship.

I just don't see how anyone can argue that point.

Aw, gee... please make fun of me! I realize how totally ridiculous this whole thing is!

The one time we tried breakfast on the balcony things did not go well. Some love it, we don't get the concept.

I don't think I mentioned anything about paying for the Pinnacle breakfast perk specifically (maybe I did?) but it is the only reason we get a suite. Some love the Neptune, or laundry, or whatever. Us, we just love that breakfast... No breakfast, then we don't need no stinkin' suite! :D

And, of course, the MOST important thing is keeping Noro off the ships! Since I won't be having breakfast in the Pinnacle now, I will gladly volunteer to stand in the ladies room during those hours and mandate hand washing... "You, in the pink top, get back to that sink and use soap this time!"

Yes, the Suite pax are paying more for the opportunity to have breakfast in Pinnacle Grill. The higher fare for suite accomodations include certain features and that is one of them.

Complaining makes us feel good but doesn't solve the issue..! Curious why u are taking such offense at my comments though?

I am an 'S' pax also - have been for yrs...and likely shall continue to be so ... and I luv the same perks just as much as u do!

However, I try to rationalize that when a perk is taken away for a reason such as this one (staff used elsewhere for our benefit, by the way) then to keep the PG perk the staff must be replaced at a COST...so please tell me...what shld HAL do? I mean.. someone has to pay for the extra staff to maintain the perk..

Does HAL give 'S' pax their PG breakfast and hire more staff then for the Lido + MDR instead of moving the PG staff there & keep fares where they are OR raise everyones fares to cover the cost or just the 'S' pax OR just the other pax?

Please offer your comments & suggestions beyond the - I paid for it & I want my perk!! :)

Complaining makes us feel good but doesn't solve the issue..! Curious why u are taking such offense <snip> :) at my comments though??

I am an 'S' pax also - have been for yrs...and likely shall continue to be so ... and I luv the perks just as much as u do!

However, I try to rationalize that when a perk is taken away for a reason such as this one (staff used elsewhere-- for our benefit, by the way) then to keep the PG perk the staff must be replaced at a COST...so please tell me...what shld HAL do? I mean.. someone has to pay for the extra staff to maintain the perk..

Does HAL give 'S' pax their PG breakfast and hire more staff then for the Lido and raise everyones fares to cover the extra hiring cost OR just the 'S' pax OR just the other pax?

Alternately they can instead keep doing what they are now - move the PG staff to the Lido till the risk of an outbreak is reduced if not eliminated, reduce the S 'perk' to a few days & keep fares where they are now?

I am amazed the other paxs aren't complaining about having to be served by the staff rather than be given the opportunity to serve themselves, then again perhaps they realize it is being done for their safety.. :)

Please - I wld enjoy reading your comments & suggestions beyond the - I paid for it & I want my perk!! :)

I keep reading here about the Pinnacle being needed in the Lido during the first 48 hours on the ships.

It is very obvious to me that in spite of what some people say -- HAL has cut back on the number of staff that work on a regular basis in the Lido.

Having been on quite a few cruises when the ships were actually in Code Red -- no Pinnacle staff had to help out in the Lido. There were enough staff there to do the job.

On our last cruise, the pinnacle was not available for breakfast either for the first three days. i will confess to being dissapointed. sorry, i enjoy eating there (or the Kings Lounge on certain ships). Much quieter and relaxing.

There are only around 4 people in the Pinnacle from what I have seen, so I don't see that they would make that much difference to helping out but if this is what HAL is going to do, then I have a very simple solution.

HAL should allocate some of it's tables of two and four in the MDR for it's suite guests. Half the reason we like the Pinnacle is that we can eat alone at a table for two or with friends and not be crammed into a table for 8.

Your cruise card identifies you. So why not mark certain tables or an area for suites, put one of the better waiters on duty for them so they get at least a bit of the ambience and the service they would have had in the Pinnacle?

Room service breakfast does not taste the same if you are ordering eggs. No one's fault, takes time to deliver.

Just my two cents worth. Jacqui

With any luck this will all be moot by the time you head off for your cruise, Two@Sea. I totally understand having something that makes a cruise really special for you and being disappointed if it is not available. I hope you are able to enjoy your special breakfasts all seven days of your trip.

We all have things we love about a cruise and things we don't care about. I don't lay out in the sun and I am not a pool person. So truthfully, if the pool was not open on my cruise I wouldn't care - might not even notice, to be honest. And I'd probably wonder why others were upset - I just would not get it - it isn't my thing. But a lot of folks would be beside themselves - to them, being able to lay by the pool is very important. And they would probably feel they had paid for that in their cruise fare and would be disturbed at not having it. And I'm guessing that me telling them to focus on all the good things they are getting on their cruise might not change how they feel. :)

On our last cruise, the pinnacle was not available for breakfast either for the first three days. i will confess to being dissapointed. sorry, i enjoy eating there (or the Kings Lounge on certain ships). Much quieter and relaxing.

There are only around 4 people in the Pinnacle from what I have seen, so I don't see that they would make that much difference to helping out but if this is what HAL is going to do, then I have a very simple solution.

HAL should allocate some of it's tables of two and four in the MDR for it's suite guests. Half the reason we like the Pinnacle is that we can eat alone at a table for two or with friends and not be crammed into a table for 8.

Your cruise card identifies you. So why not mark certain tables or an area for suites, put one of the better waiters on duty for them so they get at least a bit of the ambience and the service they would have had in the Pinnacle?

Room service breakfast does not taste the same if you are ordering eggs. No one's fault, takes time to deliver.

Just my two cents worth. Jacqui

So you can have the "blue" section and the "gold" section at breakfast in the MDR? :eek:

Because the people with the blue cards would ruin the ambience for the people with the gold cards?

I just don't get it.

Maybe HAL should resolve this by posting a notice on its site that from now on, suite pax will not have access to breakfast in the PG for the first three days of a cruise. And then lower their suite prices by what -- $5/day?

The funny thing is, people pay all different rates for suites.

So how do you put a price tag on an amenity?

I got an SY for an absolute steal last year, and then got an upsell to a suite that was incredible.

In the end, I paid LESS for my suite than I have paid for VAs in the past.

So did I pay for all the perks?

I think suite pax certainly have the right to be disappointed about the PG being closed for breakfast for the first few days.

And if it's your thing - to dine there each morning - than I understand how disappointing it is.

But bottom line is, you have a choice. Sail with HAL and book a suite and be disappointed, or book another category or book another cruise line.

So you can have the "blue" section and the "gold" section at breakfast in the MDR? :eek:

Because the people with the blue cards would ruin the ambience for the people with the gold cards?

I just don't get it.

Maybe HAL should resolve this by posting a notice on its site that from now on, suite pax will not have access to breakfast in the PG for the first three days of a cruise. And then lower their suite prices by what -- $5/day?

The funny thing is, people pay all different rates for suites.

So how do you put a price tag on an amenity?

I got an SY for an absolute steal last year, and then got an upsell to a suite that was incredible.

In the end, I paid LESS for my suite than I have paid for VAs in the past.

So did I pay for all the perks?

I think suite pax certainly have the right to be disappointed about the PG being closed for breakfast for the first few days.

And if it's your thing - to dine there each morning - than I understand how disappointing it is.

But bottom line is, you have a choice. Sail with HAL and book a suite and be disappointed, or book another category or book another cruise line.

No I absolutely DO NOT mean that the people with the blue cards destroy the ambience. What I was trying to say (and I guess i did not do it well, sorry), is that the Pinnacle offers small tables for breakfast. Tables for two and four primarily.

That is part of what makes it nice for me. While you are trying to wake up, it's nice to have intimate tables as opposed to large tables.

That was all I meant. and people were asking for solutions instead of wining so it was just an idea.

You are absolutely right, you can get a steal of a deal on a suite (that's how we got our first one). Those that book their room in advance no that's the risk they take (someone may get theirs cheaper) but it's worth it to them to have their suite. I don't put a price on an amenity.

I just think that if the amenity is part of your package, then you should have it or some other alternative. Just was trying to think of an alternative.

I like sailing HAL. I think the best solution is to update their website and their brochures to say that the PG is not availalbe for breakfast the first three days of the cruise. If people know, they won't be upset. They can then make an educated decision.

It's when you get onboard and discover it that you have people who are upset because they are surprised.!

Thanks for the explanation, Kazu!

I've never had breakfast in the MDR and did not realize they seat at large tables and do not give you an option.

I've had lunch there, and we always get a table for four - us and our traveling companions.

Can't they do that at breakfast?

As far as putting a price tag on an amenity, that was a rhetorical question ... not directed at you but the thread in general.

Maybe I should have posted it separately!

Archived