Wharf 8 closes June 12!

Tedirene

Hi all,

I know I have read the possibility of this happenning this year but can't remember seeing any formal notification. If this has been posted, I apologise. Received this from a TA this morning.

"Sad news for Sydney siders as the NSW Government is closing Wharf 8, what are the NSW Government thinking?! Despite intense lobbying to retain the cruise ship terminal, NSW Ports Minister Paul McLeay confirmed that the last ship to use Wharf 8 Darling Harbour will be P&O Cruises Australia’s 1,956-passenger Pacific Jewel on June 12.

The interim passenger terminal is a fully equipped facility of similar size and proportions to the Darling Harbour 8 facility, an arrivals/departures area, together with AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) and customs processing facilities will be based within the structure. The interim passenger terminal at Wharf 5 Barangaroo is located ‘within a convenient distance of the city centre and tourist attractions, with public transport easily accessible from the facility."

G'day all, if it's the same "tent" that we came back to from ROTS in Feb 09 it was much better organised than the OPT.

I was amazed that the customs and Immigration was so well organised and staff waiting outside with umbrellas while you had to wait for cabs was great

regards Bob

G'day all, if it's the same "tent" that we came back to from ROTS in Feb 09 it was much better organised than the OPT.

That's the wharf 8 tent :-) Wharf 5 will have another temporary structure - I haven't seen it yet though, but given it's only being built for use for a short period, I wouldn't expect it to be too flash.

Sad news for Sydney siders as the NSW Government is closing Wharf 8, what are the NSW Government thinking?! Despite intense lobbying to retain the cruise ship terminal, NSW Ports Minister Paul McLeay confirmed that the last ship to use Wharf 8 Darling Harbour will be P&O Cruises Australia’s 1,956-passenger Pacific Jewel on June 12.

The interim passenger terminal is a fully equipped facility of similar size and proportions to the Darling Harbour 8 facility, an arrivals/departures area, together with AQIS (Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service) and customs processing facilities will be based within the structure. The interim passenger terminal at Wharf 5 Barangaroo is located ‘within a convenient distance of the city centre and tourist attractions, with public transport easily accessible from the facility.

It will handle cruise operations relocated from Darling Harbour 8 until the completion of the permanent passenger terminal at White Bay Wharf 5, due to open in 2012. McLeay said the cruise ship terminal at Wharf 8 Darling Harbour will be demolished later this year to allow construction of the A$6 billion Barangaroo redevelopment.

Perhaps as Paul Leahy has now taken over the responsibilities of Ian Macdonald (MIning) they will think again??

sorry it was NOT the wharf 8 tent the one we came back to, was right at the end of Barangaroo

Have to agree with you boboz it was definetly wharf 5 tent that we came back into in February off the Sun Princess, everything seemed to be well organised, it will be interesting to see if they handle embarkation as well as the did disembarkation! Robin:)

Its a shame the City Fathers cant come up with some scheme that would incorporate the needs of all.

A cruise terminal that could cope with 2 ships at the same time would be ideal, but I guess they are looking ahead to the day when the cruise ships are too big to get under the bridge.

Then it will be "Bye Bye" to cruising out of Sydney.

Newcastle here is your chance...

and the only cruise ships that then will come into Sydney Harbour , will be those who sail up to the Opera House , turn around and head back out to sea.

Game and Match over to the Real Estate developers.

Not having lived in Sydney for some time, my memories of White Bay don't place it in the most attractive parts of Sydney. What transport arrangements are there? A bit of a hike from the airport?

What transport arrangements are there?

Bus. As it's not operating yet they may well change services, or introduce some alternative. Lines may add charters like they do in other ports.

A bit of a hike from the airport?

Further than the current ones, but not double the distance.

I think the government was thinking $6,000,000,000, who cares about boats, it's 6,000,000,000. Cruise passengers, did I mention $6,000,000,000? Besides, by the time this becomes a REAL problem, some other government will be in and we will have 6,000,000,000 to play with now.

Did you say six billion? I am in, what's next on the agenda?

Oh and John, do a Radiance of the Seas cruise around NZ. There is one on the 20 Nov 11.

A Rhapsody cruise around NZ in October will cost you 2 arms and 1 leg, like $3500 pp for an inside on an 8 day cruise. It's Rugby World Cup time so the prices are through the deck! While a 14 day NZ Radiance cruise will set you back $3140 for a D2 aft balcony or midship hump balcony (more than 3 times the depth of a normal balcony)

How close is the new wharf from wharf 8? I am going on Pacific Jewel in August and staying nearby at Star city the night before. Is the new wharf walking distance from Darling Harbour? Thanks.

No problems there, Wharf 5 Darling Harbour is a big tent right next to wharf 8. The problems won't occur until they move to White Bay

So, on the Dawn Princess in October14, 2010 we will go to wharf 5?, and it is close to wharf 8, which isn't too far from the airport, Right?

Thanks

Almost right, its 17klm from the airport and around $40 cab fare.

No problems there, Wharf 5 Darling Harbour is a big tent right next to wharf 8. The problems won't occur until they move to White Bay

Thanks for that. You know what's funny, I asked my travel agent about the new wharf and she had no idea and thought my cruise in August would still leave from wharf 8. But I know from reading on here, that it will be wharf 5. It is good to read and find out information on here, so thank you for posting the information. :)

Archived