Hats - what kind do you prefer?

cpygrl

Big enough to shade face & neck, cheap enough to not cry if I lose it:)

I took the liberty of viewing your photos. What a lovely family you are! ;)

I bought a big, floppy hat in Ross (I think) with a bendable brim. Love it. I also have a lovely straw hat (Betmar) that I got in Dillards and it's able to be folded. Love hats!

Hey, Esther....like the new avatar. ;)

I have to admit that I'm not a hat person, but all of these are really cute!

Bendable brim - interesting! Where did you get it, if you don't mind me asking?

hsn....just put in hat and it should come up....or curations...i think that was the name of it--oh i still have the item number....375656--

its really cool...folds flat and wont take up any space and its fashionable.

A bunch of stores have a good selection of summer hats right now. Target and Walmart had three or four that I liked. I read somewhere that if you get a hat thats the same width as your shoulders it will look best on your frame. Speaking about large brimmed hats of course. I usually go for a large floppy hat and then my traditional baseball cap as well.

Finally found a hat I'm happy with - http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/accessories/hats/PRD~582993/Croft+and+Barrow+Microbrim+Hat.jsp

Target had some super-cute ones with bendable brims, but the one I bought will be more versatile, I think. I'm thinking I should rig up some kind of string to go under my chin so it doesn't blow away on the ship ... what do ya'll think?

I thought I'd add my question here for the hat experts!!

I'm taking a cruise (actually 2 cruises) to some very hot desert regions this fall -- Israel, Lebanon, Syria, southern Turkey.

I'm not a hat person at all. Have never had one that I think looks good on me. I went to Egypt on a land trip for two weeks and never wore the hat I'd taken even once. But for some reason, I'm just thinking I need a hat for this trip. There will be a lot of visiting of ruins in the hot, sandy, desert. If nothing else, the glare will be killer.

Since I already know hats don't do anything for me, I'm really thinking about function more than fashion, although I hate to give up the idea that I can have both! So far the best options seem to me to be the light-weight floppy-brim canvas hats:

_lm061003-liberty-mountain-big-brim-boonie-lg-big-brim-boonie-hat-1.jpg

Or a safari-type hat:

_lm061003-dr-shade-dr-shade-outback-hat-lg-dr-shade-outback-hat-1.jpg

Anyone have any thoughts on these -- or any suggestions to offer? A more fashionable choice would be welcomed. My travel clothes for both trips are mainly black, white, and tan (khaki). I'm trying to stay away from a black hat, as that will only feel hotter with the sun beating down.

Cruisemom- do you have an REI near you? They have a big travel hat section. I think hat #1 was cute, but if it gets a little windy where you're going it might be nice if it has a cord on it, so it doesn't blow away, plus you can hang it around your neck to leave your hands free... i don't know if you'd want to pay alot, but the tilley's hats even have a hidden compartment built in. You migh also try gardening type stores, they have lots of san hats with drawstrings.

Cruisemom- do you have an REI near you? They have a big travel hat section. I think hat #1 was cute, but if it gets a little windy where you're going it might be nice if it has a cord on it, so it doesn't blow away, plus you can hang it around your neck to leave your hands free... i don't know if you'd want to pay alot, but the tilley's hats even have a hidden compartment built in. You migh also try gardening type stores, they have lots of san hats with drawstrings.

thanks for the idea. I do have an REI nearby -- the problem is making time to get there. :o But it's true that finding the right hat (especially for me) usually involves trying on MANY different ones before I find one I can live with. (I won't say like!)

I was scratching my head in confusion yesterday! We cruised with cruzkitty and I got her mixed up with you. When I saw your photos (really can't remember what she looked like, but not like you look), I really was befuddled.:confused: After doing some research, you are two different people!

Loved your photo by the peacock and your hat is gorgeous!!!

I was scratching my head in confusion yesterday! We cruised with cruzkitty and I got her mixed up with you. When I saw your photos (really can't remember what she looked like, but not like you look), I really was befuddled.:confused: After doing some research, you are two different people!

Loved your photo by the peacock and your hat is gorgeous!!!

I think there must be a lot of cat lovers on these boards, because I see quite a few versions of cruise+kitty, by the way, I really like your new avatar with the beautiful smile!

I just wear my Boston Red Sox visor. it is small and doesnt take up much room if i am just going to pack it to go. but i must remember to put sunblock on my neck

watch the top of your head too;) your head can burn so fast that is why i went to a full hat...when we were going to the Panama Canal last year that was brought up alot makes sure to wear a HAT that covers your head as you burn so quickly.

this was the one i bought last year...didnt work for me...but do figure out something to keep it on your head cos it will blow off cos they are so light. this type of hat just didnt keep the sun off my face much i needed something with more of a brim...GOOD LUCK!

I think there must be a lot of cat lovers on these boards, because I see quite a few versions of cruise+kitty, by the way, I really like your new avatar with the beautiful smile!

How sweet; thank you. I am a cat lover also. Two black ones own us.

Here is my hat, I don't think I paid this much for it as I've had it for probably 5 - 8 years.

http://www.travelsmith.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&itemID=415&fromNewSearch=true&mercadoResultId=9

I bought one of those before our cruise last year. I wore it in Belize (Altun Ha) and Cozumel (Tulum). Boy, was I glad to have it! But if you order one, DON'T GET GOLD! I think I look just like the Man in the Yellow Hat from the "Curious George" books. Heh.

IMG_8424.JPG

(No, we don't look like tourists AT ALL. :D)

This year I got this one:

at683895-02p01v02.jpg

It's Nylon, Wicking, breathable, Rated UPF 50 and machine washable! It's also packable. It's from http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=46886&vid=&pid=683895&scid=683895002

I really liked how the straw one could roll up and go in my suitcase, but I hated the color. Thought I'd try this one as our cruise is to the Southern Caribbean, and I expect many beach days.

But, as you can see, I'm no fashionista.

Robin

The classic hot-weather hat is a Panama hat. They're hand-woven straw hats (actually woven in Ecuador, despite the name) that come in a variety of styles, including variations on the fedora. Robin's hat, above, is a panama, in a more feminine style (and I'd say she looks a lot better in it than Curious George's buddy). They're more expensive than some of the suggestions here, but basic panamas can be had for around forty dollars (the really fine ones can rise in both quality and price to the stratosphere). The advantage to them is that they look really good -- they're considered appropriate with everything from shorts to suits.

My wife and I each had a panama on our last cruise, though I only have a photo of my own hat.

IMG_1044-1.jpg

This is totally off topic, but I'm curious about you, Mtnwriter - what kind of writing do you do? I'm an editor/writer (mostly editor at the moment, but I just finished a travel guide).

This is totally off topic, but I'm curious about you, Mtnwriter - what kind of writing do you do? I'm an editor/writer (mostly editor at the moment, but I just finished a travel guide).

Mostly politics and economics, with some business writing tossed in. I worked for think tanks and advocacy groups for years, for which I penned a lot of OpEds. I've also done some magazine work -- both print and online, and I worked as a newspaper editor many years ago.

I've essentially transitioned these days to stay-at-home-dad status. Frankly the earning potential of a scribbler like me is more easily sacrificed than that of my physician wife. That leaves me writing mostly for blogs -- my own politics and stay-at-home-dad blogs, and a fairly well-respected group blog.

Although I have several large brimmed hats, I always wear a visor because I don't like hat-hair. So the only time I'd wear a wide brim is at the beach, pool or if I know I'm going straight home after wearing one. :D

My hubby wears an outback style hat everyday whenever he is outside since skin cancer seems to run in the family.

had been wearing a visor and then another full hat that i really hated the shape...i just got this (pic attached) it has a bendable brim and can be

worn a variety of ways and packs flat-already in my carry-on.

..i think its what i been looking for--might even put cord//tie/strap or something so it doesnt blow off

almost lost my hat that i dont really like (should have let it blow away....lol in Costa Maya last cruise.

I bought a beige one similar to yours on our last cruise. I got it in Bar Harbor, Maine for $20. Mine is San Diego Hat Company, has the bendable brim and has a chin tie which usually gets tucked up in the hat when I wear it. I like it in the cowboy hat style.

Archived