Just returned from Sapphire/Alaska

dsal

Just returned from my first ever cruise-and it was to Alaska on the Princess.

First of all, the knowledge I gained from reading so many posts on this board was *phenomenal*! Much thanks to all you experienced cruisers for the different suggestions.

Here are some tips I thought I'd share:

1. Great suggestion I read on this board: buying magnetic clips to hang on the wall. I bought some at Bed, Bath and Beyond--they were sold individually (not in the four pack) and had pretty strong magnets on them. Great for holding the Princess Patter

2. Rum Runners worked great. ;)

3. Mainly did the traditional dining for dinners. Food and service were outstanding. :)

4. Packing: I packed 3 skorts and two pairs of shorts, and didn't use them at all. Wish I would have packed a couple more long-sleeved cotton-knit (like dressy t-shirt) tops.

5. We had an inside room. The bathroom exhaust fan was either non existent or low powered. Every day I wished I would have packed a small fan (like a personal desk fan) to use to help circulate air in the bathroom. ;) I did buy some odor absorbing stuff from Bed Bath and Beyond before we left, and brought it with us. (It was a creamy substance in a jar.) Not sure it really worked.

6. Super souvenir: Took the cheap trolley tour into Ketchikan, enjoyed seeing the beautiful totem poles, and then went into the little gift shop across the street. OMGoodness, they had the most beautiful silver-plated serving pieces. They were actually made in Canada, and have lovely carving/indentations that look like totem-pole styled native art. They had some spoons that look like casserole serving spoons/ladles, and salad fork/spoon sets. They were $95. WOW! I bought a ladle and the salad set, brought them back on the trolley. The trolley driver, who saw me purchase them, asked if I minded if he showed them to the other people on the trolley. They went crazy over them--their eyes were popping out. One man, in a hushed voice, wondered if I paid about a $1,000 for them!!!! Yes, they are that gorgeous!

7. If you do the Tacu Lodge tour and then the next day do the Scenic Pass Railway tour: force yourself to go to bed early on Tacu Lodge day. I'm not a morning person--and I did go to bed at a decent hour on Tacu Lodge day, but I still was somewhat zombie-like on the train the next morning. Several people (unfortunately, including me) kept dozing during the train ride. Oh, I fought the urge like the plague, but being kind of sleepy, with the combination of the gently rumbling train and the gorgeous scenery kind of puts you into a mega-relaxed zone. OR should I say zzzzzone, and I mean that in a complimentary way. The ride was not boring, just hypnotizing! So do whatever it takes to be well-rested on the train day!

Loved, loved, loved the cruise!

dsal

Forgot to mention that I also packed a couple pairs of capri pants. Did not use them either, nor did I really need the heavier rain slicker that I packed. A long (over the rear) hooded light-weight jacket was all I needed coat-wise, and I also wore a warm, thermal lined sweatshirt quite a bit. Better yet--most towns had cute light-weight jackets that were incredibly priced! I was expecting "tourist" prices of about $60 per jacket, but most of them were between $20 and $30, with some type of "Alaska" script written on them, sometimes unobtrusively. Definitely a good deal. Many of these could be found in the little shopping area that is walking distance from the Ketchikan port. But I wished I would have brought my cozy light-weight-wool long hooded cardigan. Would have been comfy and perfect to wear for this cruise.

Another suggestion: they have a photo-book offer that is pretty good, in the photo area. Be sure to pay only the half-price offer ($59.95 with one free portrait photo). You can upload up to 100 pages online after the cruise with the photos you took on the trip for no extra charge, and free shipping to the U.S. Seems like a wonderful way to remember the cruise! We ordered one. ;)

Most importantly: the Alaskan scenery was even more beautiful than I could have imagined in my wildest dreams! Each photo we took seemed post-card worthy! To say it was breath-taking is a grave understatement. This type of beauty truly defies words!!!

And, yes, I am enthusiastically "hooked"!

dsal

Promise, this is my last post and last suggestion of the day. No kidding about what people say about the coffee. The coffee normally offered in the dining rooms didn't taste too bad, but was extremely acidic. Any of you with GERD--forget it!! I had to double up on my GERD meds until I realized it was the coffee that was creating the problem. Tastes ok, but tummy thinks it's battery acid.

Forked over the $25 for the coffee club card, and was a wonderful little splurge. I think it offered 14 specialty coffees with unlimited fresh-brewed coffee available in the dining rooms and some of the bars. A simple little treat. Hubby and I enjoy specialty coffees, but usually balk at spending $3-$5 in an upscale coffee shop--so this felt sinfully indulgent for each of us to get a specialty coffee each day. And, heck, it worked out to less than $2 per drink! (Our server gave us the first cup "on the house" i.e. punch-free. I don't think that's standard, but we had a very kind waiter for our table.)

Sipping that coffee on the deck, watching glaciers go by on smooth waters. How could it get any better than that??

dsal

Thanks for the review, glad you had a great time.

The bathrooms don't really have a fan, I think its just a vent with extremely low air flow. All of our trips it has steamed up in there. The more I keep the shower curtain closed and the door open the more it seems to help.

Was that the Taku Lodge flightseeing in Juneau?

Thanks for the great review. We leave next Sunday on the Sapphire and so can not wait. The suggestions on clothes really help as we are struggling with our packing.

For dinners were most people dressed up or just kakhis and shirts?

The coffee cards were awesome, we got a coupon book from vacations to go that gave us the buy one get one and we used all the punches instead of soda cards for my daughter and I. The coffee bar has a box of tea you can browse and get with your card, maybe without? I always got a blended mocha and a cup of hot tea to take with me. I'd drink the blended while the tea brewed and if I was hot I'd ask the waitress in Club Fusion for a cup of ice to pour the tea over. They'll bring that and sweetner to you if you want it. The cards were good in the dining room too when they offer the coffee on the desert menu plus they'll bring it to you in the horizon court, well the guy outside by the pool would bring them to our table when we had breakfast.

The coffee cards were awesome, we got a coupon book from vacations to go that gave us the buy one get one and we used all the punches instead of soda cards for my daughter and I. The coffee bar has a box of tea you can browse and get with your card, maybe without? I always got a blended mocha and a cup of hot tea to take with me. I'd drink the blended while the tea brewed and if I was hot I'd ask the waitress in Club Fusion for a cup of ice to pour the tea over. They'll bring that and sweetner to you if you want it. The cards were good in the dining room too when they offer the coffee on the desert menu plus they'll bring it to you in the horizon court, well the guy outside by the pool would bring them to our table when we had breakfast.

Apafloyd, by blended mocha do you mean blended with ice so it's kinda like a shake? I had my first caffe mocha ever last August on the Sapphire and have slowly been drinking more of them - I find I like the iced or blended ones best (best ever is at Disneyland!).

Forked over the $25 for the coffee club card, and was a wonderful little splurge. I think it offered 14 specialty coffees with unlimited fresh-brewed coffee available in the dining rooms and some of the bars.

dsal

My husband is a pot a day brewed coffee drinker where I like the specialty coffees. You mentioned that the brewed coffees were unlimited with this card? That is great!!!!

Also, someone asked how warm the dining rooms are, that will influence my dinner wardrobe greatly!!

Thanks!

Yes, blended with ice in the blender like a smoothie or shake. One guy makes them a little on the runny side and another perfect. So depending on the guy behind the counter I just asked for a little extra ice in the pitcher.

Thanks for the reply! We still have our coffee card from last year, but I think I'll be buying a new one when we board, so I won't have to share punches with DH. :D

I have a few questions, what was the iterinary to alaska? Also, you mentioned that you had an inside room, if you know now about alaska do you think you would've gotten a balcony? I just don't know whether to get a balcony or not - any suggestions? What other ships can you compare the sapphaire to? Glad you had a good time....

We did this same trip. Loved it. I swear by the Ulu [chopping knife and wooden board] that we purchased in Ketchikan [except, instead of the small one I should have bought the larger one, love it!] I can't chop a salad without it, now.

The Dining Room was a litte cool, where the Theatre was a bit warm. Bring a light sweater along [that you don't mind carrying.]

Our answer for the bathrooms is Fabreeze Deodorizing spray. It's a miracle and doesn't take up much space in the suit case.

Our balcony was too cold to remain on for too long. It was good when the ship was standing still but once it moved......brrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Also, the White Pass Railroad excursion is very worth the money. We loved it. You get to stand on the outside portion [that connects the trains] and take lots and lots of pictures.

I agree, Alaska is magnificent. I could go back over and over again! I'm sure many folks who live in Washington and Oregon do this itinerary a lot! I know I would!

Thanks for the review, glad you had a great time.

The bathrooms don't really have a fan, I think its just a vent with extremely low air flow. All of our trips it has steamed up in there. The more I keep the shower curtain closed and the door open the more it seems to help.

Was that the Taku Lodge flightseeing in Juneau?

Yes, it was the Taku Lodge flightseeing in Juneau. I read on this board that it is a "must-do" excursion, and boy are they right! It was *wonderful*! Fun flight, nice lodge, fantastic, fresh salmon dinner. The lodge's location seemed so remote--just a cabin and the woods. Every group that ate there earlier that day saw bears. Unfortunately, we did not, but we saw some bear dung in the woods--not sure that counts. lol

(We did see a bear on the Skagway White Pass Rail Yukon trip.)

dsal

Thanks for the great review. We leave next Sunday on the Sapphire and so can not wait. The suggestions on clothes really help as we are struggling with our packing.

For dinners were most people dressed up or just kakhis and shirts?

Please keep in mind that the weather can change at any time, so what worked for me might not work for you. But if I were to go on this same cruise again leaving this or next Sunday--I would not bother packing a heavy rain jacket--at least not for the activities we did. (Mine was a Totes fleece-lined slicker.) But it might have been nice had I done a glacier tour. (?)

Most nights for dinner, people just wore business casual clothes--decent slacks and a top, like something you'd wear to a decent dinner out. Formal night was mainly cocktail dresses. Some wore long gowns, but not many.

hth,

dsal

I am so glad to hear that your cruise was awesome! You have me rethinking my packing. Do you think the dining rooms were cold? Will I need a nice sweater or wrap?

I was in the Vivaldi dining room, and I felt fine. I usually wore a long-sleeved top. I wore a halter dress for one of the formal nights, and wore a wrap for that. Of course it wouldn't hurt to have a nice sweater to bring along if you need it, but I didn't notice anyone who was "chilly" in the dining room.

hth,

dsal

I have a few questions, what was the iterinary to alaska?

We did the inside passage: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway then a few hours in Victoria, BC.

Also, you mentioned that you had an inside room, if you know now about alaska do you think you would've gotten a balcony? I just don't know whether to get a balcony or not - any suggestions? What other ships can you compare the sapphaire to? Glad you had a good time....

This is my first cruise, so I can't compare Sapphire to other ships. But I can say that it was wonderful. The ship was always clean, and our steward was fantastic--always smiling and helpful, and tended to our room at least twice a day.

As far as inside vs. balcony rooms: I don't know. My hubby and I discussed this during the trip, and the consensus was that we'd do the inside room again. Even though I have the tendency to be a bit claustrophobic, I found that I didn't feel claustrophobic at all! I made a little rule that no clothes were to be left draped anywhere. As soon as it was off our body, it was either hung back up or put into our suitcase, which served as our laundry hamper. Shoes were to be kept in another (open) suitcase in the closet area. Tried to keep the desk area neat with no random papers (those were to be shoved into the drawers), but I must admit we got a bit lax with that as the week progressed.

We would use the room only for sleeping and showering and etc. ;) There was plenty of space on the ship for awesome sight-seeing from deck chairs, etc. We were never without a place to sit. Also, there was plenty of quiet space where it seemed private--like the lounge area near the library, etc.

If money were no object, then yes, I'd get the balcony room. But I think I'd rather calculate out the difference between an inside room and a balcony room--get the inside room, and then use the money we saved on excursions.

That being said: I'm not sure if the larger staterooms have larger shower areas or not. Our shower area was extremely small. Neither my hubby nor I are very "hefty" so it worked ok for us--but I can imagine it would be a major issue for larger-sized passengers. In other words: if you weigh over 190 pounds, I'd try to get a larger bathroom, if available. (I'm not trying to offend anyone, so please don't take it the wrong way. I'm not saying that 190 is fat. I chose that number because hubby is 185 and I know he was a bit cramped in the shower.)

Sort of odd, but in a way it was good for me to have tight quarters in my cabin. When I got home and took a nice shower in my decent-sized shower stall, it felt so good. Had my shower stall been as nice on the cruise, I wouldn't have appreciated the one at home as much. I'm going through cruise withdrawal now: having to cook my own meals, make my own bed, etc., that it's good I have something at home that's better than on the ship! (Hope that makes sense.)

hth,

dsal

Archived