Has anyone ever cruised with just a carry-on bag?

Caribbophile

I can do it and not skip formal (elegant) night.

I don't wear a jacket or tie either..well, my wife did make me

wear a tie on the first cruise....never again

My husband wants to know how you did this. He thought jackets were required & he was going to wear his on the plane if we do carryons. Thanks to everyone for your input.

My husband wants to know how you did this. He thought jackets were required & he was going to wear his on the plane if we do carryons. Thanks to everyone for your input.

Jackets are not required per the suggested guidlines that Carnival has put out on their site. Some men still wear them and some do not. It varies from ship to ship and cruise to cruise.

is for those who say wear something twice, how can this be done if the cruise is to a hot climate and you sweat. I would have to do laundry and I do not want to have to do that on my vacation. But I can say for my cruise next week I am down to 1 large duffel bag and a suit bag. Which great for me. It is an 8 day cruise and I bring 2 pairs of shorts for each day, 2 t-shirts for each day, 16 pairs of draws, suit, slacks 2 dress shirts, etc.......

I have every cruise, i bring several lightweight articles, many tops and a few interchangable pairs of pants. A convertable black dress and some accessories and 3 pairs of shoes.

I found after the first 7 day cruise, i was wearing my bathing suit 99% of the time during the day with a coverup or some shorts and a tshirt, so this cut down the packing a lot!

It is very easy and doable with some planning. We started travelling with just a carry-on following our 1st long cruise in Europe. (10 night cruise, 3 day pre-Istanbul, 3 day post Rome). We packed like we were moving to Europe, and much to our surprise all of our luggage was misplaced for 3 days. After that fiasco, we vowed never to pack more than we can carry. We follow many of the suggestions posted on the Rick Steves boards, and each carry 1 22 in. roll aboard bag and a knapsack. On cruises where we choose to participate in formal nights we either pack a suit in an Eagle Creek suiter (fits inside 22 in. suitcase perfectly)or rent a tux in the case of our 17 night Princess Asia trip. We make a packing list and stick to it. All clothes are interchangable and chosen for their flexibility and resistance to wrinkling. Several websites (Travelsmith, Magellans, Packing Light) offer clothing made for travelling.

Throughout the year, we pick up suitable travel clothes and store them in a spare dresser in our guest bedroom. Toiletries and travel neccessities remain packed in mesh totes and stored with the clothing.

On longer cruises, we either wash our clothes on board or send them out.

The cost equates to a few martinins and very much worth it in our opinions.

We forgo all of the non-essentials so many cruisers recommend( shoe bags, bungee cords, steamers, extra power outlets etc.)

We also pack a separate small backpack for daytrips.

An umbrella and nylon rainjacket is essential.

All electronics including our laptop fit in our knapsack.

Here is my list for my last Celebrity European Cruise: 22 in roll-aboard.

Black suit, shirt , tie (packed in packing sleeve)

1 pr. tan dress pants

4 dress shirts (tommy bahama style)

4 polo type shirts

5 t shirts

2 pr. shorts

2 belts

1 pr. dress shoes

1 pr sandals

6 pr socks (packed in shoes)

3 pr. underwear (Ex-Effacio travel men's underwear- wash out when showering, dries in 2 hrs.)

shaving kit

umbrella

nylon jacket

pajamas

day trip knapsack

Hope this helps anyone who wants the freedom of travelling without the hassle of (and now excessive costs) of ckecking luggage.

Happy travels!!!!

I did the carry-on only on a 10 day trip to London in 2000. But now with the carry-on restrictions? What do you do about sunscreen? I could do the other toiletries in small containers or those samples we get in the mail(I'm not picky). The next cruise will be out of Barcelona. Do you suggest i buy it at the airport? Would the price be really bad or would it be worth it?

Thanks!

I did the carry-on only on a 10 day trip to London in 2000. But now with the carry-on restrictions? What do you do about sunscreen? I could do the other toiletries in small containers or those samples we get in the mail(I'm not picky). The next cruise will be out of Barcelona. Do you suggest i buy it at the airport? Would the price be really bad or would it be worth it?

Thanks!

I have a small 3 oz. Coppertone Sport SPF 30 that I got free when I purchased a larger one at Walgreens. It has a clip for your knapsack and works perfectly for us. We each have one, and it lasts for at least 10 days for us.

I can do a 4 day cruise with a different outfit for every day and every evening with just a carry-on. For anything longer, I prefer to use a larger bag. I'm doing a 12 day cruise next year and only plan to pack for 7 days; repeating everything once via mix-and-match. One bag is my limit.

It is very easy and doable with some planning. We started travelling with just a carry-on following our 1st long cruise in Europe. (10 night cruise, 3 day pre-Istanbul, 3 day post Rome). We packed like we were moving to Europe, and much to our surprise all of our luggage was misplaced for 3 days. After that fiasco, we vowed never to pack more than we can carry. We follow many of the suggestions posted on the Rick Steves boards, and each carry 1 22 in. roll aboard bag and a knapsack. On cruises where we choose to participate in formal nights we either pack a suit in an Eagle Creek suiter (fits inside 22 in. suitcase perfectly)or rent a tux in the case of our 17 night Princess Asia trip. We make a packing list and stick to it. All clothes are interchangable and chosen for their flexibility and resistance to wrinkling. Several websites (Travelsmith, Magellans, Packing Light) offer clothing made for travelling.

Throughout the year, we pick up suitable travel clothes and store them in a spare dresser in our guest bedroom. Toiletries and travel neccessities remain packed in mesh totes and stored with the clothing.

On longer cruises, we either wash our clothes on board or send them out.

The cost equates to a few martinins and very much worth it in our opinions.

We forgo all of the non-essentials so many cruisers recommend( shoe bags, bungee cords, steamers, extra power outlets etc.)

We also pack a separate small backpack for daytrips.

An umbrella and nylon rainjacket is essential.

All electronics including our laptop fit in our knapsack.

Here is my list for my last Celebrity European Cruise: 22 in roll-aboard.

Black suit, shirt , tie (packed in packing sleeve)

1 pr. tan dress pants

4 dress shirts (tommy bahama style)

4 polo type shirts

5 t shirts

2 pr. shorts

2 belts

1 pr. dress shoes

1 pr sandals

6 pr socks (packed in shoes)

3 pr. underwear (Ex-Effacio travel men's underwear- wash out when showering, dries in 2 hrs.)

shaving kit

umbrella

nylon jacket

pajamas

day trip knapsack

Hope this helps anyone who wants the freedom of travelling without the hassle of (and now excessive costs) of ckecking luggage.

Happy travels!!!!

From a woman who brings one carry on for a 7-day cruise or resort stay (we take the one large Vera Bradley duffel bag; my husband also packs his things in the same bag):

*3 swimsuits

*3 sarongs (to cover myself when walking back and forth on the ship while in my swimsuit)

*2 casual sundresses (to wear over my swimsuit or by itself on shore excursions)

*2 pair flip flops for beach/pool wear (I usually only wear one of the 2 pair---learned the hard way that if flip flops or sandals break, a $5.00 pair of cheap flip flops from Wal-Mart can cost up to $20.00 to replace while on a cruise or at a resort)

*1 rain poncho (very cheap, used for football games at home!) :)

*5 dresses (for dining in MDR; these are sundresses or "dressy" knee-length dresses) *1 pair of dressy sandals that work with anyone of these dresses

*1 pair black dress capris

*2 dressy tops to wear with black dress capris

*1 pair black sandals to wear with dress capris

(I won't bring these next time, didn't wear them)

*12 panties

*2 bras (though I tend not to wear these while cruising or at resorts)

*1 pair yoga pants (mostly for travel in the car)

*2 sporty t-shirts (unless I intend to buy a couple of t-shirts from the ship/shore excursions)

*Nike workout shoes, 2 pair socks (mostly for travel in the car)

* 2-3 Bow-chicka-bow-bow wear for "bedtime" ;)

*small make up bag (although I didn't wear make up once on the last cruise, will probably leave this home next time)

*toiletries, brush, comb, toothbrush/toothpaste

*medications

*3 spray-on sunscreen

*my purse that doubles as the beach/pool bag

*body lotion and Aloe lotion (in case of sunburn) (this all goes in my purse/bag)

*2 clips for towels on deck chairs

*a few zip-lock baggies (great for holding ice/washcloths on hot shore excursion days; holding vinegar-soaked gauze for jellyfish stings while snorkeling/diving; putting passports or cell phones in)

*and finally, my must-have Good & Plenty bags of licorice!!

Last cruise I had no choice. Showed up too late at the airport checkin and they told me I could get on the plane but not my luggage :eek:
Next flight I would be on standby and this was the day the cruise was leaving. Needless to say ran to my car and found a cooler and stuffed as much as I could in there and just brought it as check-in. I did survive the week (7 days cruise) but it would have been better if it was planned. Very doable. Doing another cruise and planning to just go with a carry on. We don't need all we bring and in carribean we spend most of the week with bathing suits and cover ups.

Regarding the sunscreen question, I only like the spray/no rub kind, and I have found a store brand at CVS chain stores, that is only 3 ounces! I buy one for each person, and it fits in with the carry on rule. I supplement that with 3 oz tubes of rub on sunscreen for faces, and to make the spray last longer (3oz is not a lot for the carribbean sun). We always do only carryons, and we each manage to fit a snorkel mask and tube also.

Watch the short version (#3) of this packing video. Very helpful and educational, even if you plan on taking a larger suitcase.

[url]http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90&[/url]

Hope this helps.

[quote name='Oakman']Watch the short version (#3) of this packing video. Very helpful and educational, even if you plan on taking a larger suitcase.

[URL]http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90&[/URL]

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Thank you Oakman. That video was great for my husband who packs by throwing things into a suitcase. Thanks for posting that link. Have definitely decided to do just carryon based on everyone's helpful input.

[quote name='Oakman']Watch the short version (#3) of this packing video. Very helpful and educational, even if you plan on taking a larger suitcase.

[url]http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90&[/url]

Hope this helps.[/QUOTE]

Wow, definitely worth a try.

I like to use the Rick Steves 21 in. Roll Aboard suitcase. It is lightweight when empty, expands for additional space, and holds packing cubes perfectly. also, we carry Kindles instead of books, and just purchased a small ACER netbook (less than 2 lbs.) instead of our heavy laptop. Always looking out for ways to lighten the load.

I probably could if it weren't for the airline carry-on restrictions. I have long hair and use a lot of shampoo and conditioner. Also I usually bring sunscreen and aloe. Since we have to check luggage for the shampoo/conditioner I end up over packing to fill the suitcase.

[quote name='realtrip']I did the carry-on only on a 10 day trip to London in 2000. But now with the carry-on restrictions? What do you do about sunscreen? I could do the other toiletries in small containers or those samples we get in the mail(I'm not picky). The next cruise will be out of Barcelona. Do you suggest i buy it at the airport? Would the price be really bad or would it be worth it?
Thanks![/QUOTE]
Just back from our Walmart and they have small 1 oz. Coppertone sunscreen with the knapsack clip for less than $3.00. A little expensive,yes. But well worth the convenience. Not always available so I bought 4. Plus, they are refillable. Haven't seen them in a while, so I replaced our supply.

Archived