Carnival Fantasy Review & Pics/ June 5th, 2010 Sailing

This cash deposit - is that your tips for wait staff and room steward, etc?

We pre-paid our tips about 2 months before hand so that when we went onboard we didnt have a balance already. We didnt want to use a debit card or credit card (we dont have a credit card anyway) for the Sail and Sign card so we used cash. We put down $200 per person. Later we had to add $100 more per person. :eek: Yeah, I know. :rolleyes:

Just a Packing suggestion...the evening shows in the Universe Lounge were chilly. That is the only time I wore a jacket, and I wore it every night. If you don't plan to go to the shows you might get a way without a jacket (or hoodie), but if you think you will attend the shows, a jacket will be aprreciated. I noticed a lot of people bring the CCL towels and wrapping up in them at night.

Camden, We have sailed out of Charleston before and we just had my Father drop us off at the port and pick us up when we returned. Your plan should work just fine.

All4Fun you look really familiar to me, did you go to high school in Mt.P?

THanks for a great review. If i win the lottery, i will send ya'll back on another cruise just so i can read another review. :D

Fantastic review!! We were on the same sailing! I can't believe we didn't cross paths! We had a great time also, and your review may inspire me to do one as well. I think we took about 700 pictures.

You are SOO right about Key West - it was unbelievably hot, wasn't it? Being a huge Jimmy Buffett fan, I remembered Jimmy's words: "I went down to Captain Tony's to get out of the heat." and that is what I eventually did. I grabbed a barstool at Capt. Tony's and even got to meet Capt. Tony himself!

I too found the sushi bar and everyday right at 5pm, I was in line for my daily fix! The spicy tuna was my favorite.

Anyway, great review. Sorry we didn't get to meet you. Also, thanks for the advice about staying at the Rodeway Inn in Mount Pleasant. We stayed there for $85 and it was quite adequate for our needs. Great location!

LOL... We were there at Captain Tony's the same time as you.

You didn't meet the original Captain Tony unless he was a ghost as Captain Tony died November 1st, 2008. He was a great guy.

Nancy .... Did notice you both smoke so ...

Did you ever go the Cigar Lounge and ... if so ... what was it like? :confused:

We DID go to the Cigar Lounge. They have some really comfy leather couches and chairs with a lovely view out of some really large windows. We didnt sit at the bar area though. The picture of the bar area is in my review near the end. Its the one that had the clipper ship vase on it.

All4Fun you look really familiar to me, did you go to high school in Mt.P?

THanks for a great review. If i win the lottery, i will send ya'll back on another cruise just so i can read another review. :D

Hi there! I went to high school in West Ashley at St. Andrews High.

I am sitting here now hoping that you win the lottery. I dont think I have ever had post-cruiseosis this bad EVER!

Since you're from the area maybe you can help me with a hotel. I found the Sheraton Airport for a great price that includes parking and transportation. I've read some posts that allude to problems in North Charleston but none are specific. Is there a problem with that area (other than not much being around) and would you leave your car there for a week?

Since you're from the area maybe you can help me with a hotel. I found the Sheraton Airport for a great price that includes parking and transportation. I've read some posts that allude to problems in North Charleston but none are specific. Is there a problem with that area (other than not much being around) and would you leave your car there for a week?

I would definitely not leave my car there for a week. North Charleston (some areas are a little sketchy). :eek:

Mt. Pleasant is a pretty good deal. Safe area and close to many great restaurants and the historic area. I checked out a couple of hotels for some folks here on CC. The Rodeway Inn in Mt. Pleasant had a decent price with the park and go special but you had to arrange transportation.

Andy, here on CC, stayed at a different hotel in Mt. Pleasant. What say you Andy?

I had also heard that Hawthorn Suites in the West Ashley area of Charleston has a shuttle service to the port included. I think. It is a good area but you may have to travel a short ways up Hwy 17 to get to restaurants and such.

If you find one you want me to check out, just let me know.

It is crazy that the Hawthorn Suites is making you stay two nights. We were just there on June 4. Maybe the rule applied then, but since we had booked three rooms, they were ok with the one night stay.

I said it is crazy becasue the morning of the 5, when we were waiting for the shuttle to take us to the port , we tried to book a night for when we returned (We decided to stay even longer) and they were booked. They were very nice and found us a place to stay just up the road. So they are not hurting for business so don't know why the 2 night stay requirement.

There were pretty nice places to eat fairly close (Gilligan's and California Dreaming-Yummy!)

Have fun on your upcoming cruise!

Seriously, we loved Gilligan's! It was a fun atmosphere and the food was great too! (The margaritas weren't too bad either! :) ) I am happy for Andrew!

My son (the one who did not get go with us on the cruise because he could not get off.......!) and is engaged to be married in September, was laid off from his job on the Friday we disembarked!!!!! They called him in at noon. First I was devistated, then I was mad. He could have gone with us...!!!! :mad:

Best of luck to Andrew and you! I have enjoyed our "talks."

I am new to this whole posting thing, but I wanted to say how much I enjoyed your post...all of it. We were on the same sailing as you (kept looking for myself in your pics!). Our experience was a little different...our 18 and 20 yr old kids (if you can call them that) were with us, and I am on a REALLY strict diet (I know, but I didn't want to blow it on the cruise), so we did no drinking (except in Freeport, where we had one round cause the kids are legal there, and there was nothing else to do), and I only salad for lunch and then dinners. This was our first Carnival Cruise, having done 2 RC cruises. This was definitely a smaller, older ship, but we enjoyed it just as much. It was not as luxurious looking, but for some reason, it just felt more relaxing. I cannot really say I loved the ports, except for Key West (we did exactly what you did..Southernmost Point and Hemingway House, but we did make it to Sloppy Joe's), but I really enjoyed the days at sea...wish the pool was bigger...it was mobbed. All in all, a good time was had by all, and the convenience of leaving from Charleston can't be beat (we drove in from Atlanta). You have inspired me to write a more thorough review...eventually!!

Would you happen to know about the area that the Hampton Inn And Suites- North Charleston/University Blvd is located? I plan on leaving my car parked the entire length of my cruise in September and I'd kind of like to have a vehicle when I got back. lol Any help is appreciated!

Seriously, we loved Gilligan's! It was a fun atmosphere and the food was great too! (The margaritas weren't too bad either! :) ) I am happy for Andrew!

My son (the one who did not get go with us on the cruise because he could not get off.......!) and is engaged to be married in September, was laid off from his job on the Friday we disembarked!!!!! They called him in at noon. First I was devistated, then I was mad. He could have gone with us...!!!! :mad:

Best of luck to Andrew and you! I have enjoyed our "talks."

We love Gilligan's too. They have really good bloody mary's. Chuck the bartender is a trip. Known him for years.

Sorry to hear about your son. Thats terrible.

Fingers crossed for the Andrew getting a job. Its been since November and he is starting to get cabin fever. Great talking to you too. :)

Thanks, Nancy! :)

Please ... can I bother you again?

:confused: What were your favorite bar/lounges and was smoking allowed in any of them?

No bother at all! I am happy to answer any questions! :D

Our favorite bar and where we spent most of our time was on lido deck on the smoking side. Its in a covered area and it never got too terribly hot. The seating area along the side is nice too especially if you can get in front of one of the "windows" that are open. Nice breeze.

We didnt spend much time at the inside bars/lounges but the Majestic Lounge (cigar bar) had a great mellow atmosphere and beautiful views. Comfy couches too!

Cleopatra's (the piano bar) is smoking and we popped in there for a short while. (I had just woken up from a nap and was a little overstimulated) Everyone in here seemed to be having a blast with the Sing Along with Rick.

Cat's Lounge was closed when we went in there because it was off hours but it was a nice place to sit in the quiet and no one was ever in there during off hours except for some crew. It was cool to sit and talk with them.

Andrew tried to find the crew bar below decks because we KNOW that it is smoking but was thwarted in his efforts and asked to leave by the really tall (he said 6'8") blonde guy. You will see him around...ya cant miss him. :)

Hope this helps! Bring on the questions! I love em! :)

Would you happen to know about the area that the Hampton Inn And Suites- North Charleston/University Blvd is located? I plan on leaving my car parked the entire length of my cruise in September and I'd kind of like to have a vehicle when I got back. lol Any help is appreciated!

That is a decent area and would feel comfortable leaving my car there. Its also close to Northwoods Mall which has some pretty good shopping. Hooters is close by too! Olive Garden, Wild Wings, many more. Good area. Your vehicle should be there when you get back! :D

That is a decent area and would feel comfortable leaving my car there. Its also close to Northwoods Mall which has some pretty good shopping. Hooters is close by too! Olive Garden, Wild Wings, many more. Good area. Your vehicle should be there when you get back! :D

Thanks a bunch! I'll have to restrain myself from going to the mall till AFTER the cruise though. lol May need my money for something else! Olive Garden on the other hand........I will be there. :D

No bother at all! I am happy to answer any questions! :D

Our favorite bar and where we spent most of our time was on lido deck on the smoking side. Its in a covered area and it never got too terribly hot. The seating area along the side is nice too especially if you can get in front of one of the "windows" that are open. Nice breeze.

We didnt spend much time at the inside bars/lounges but the Majestic Lounge (cigar bar) had a great mellow atmosphere and beautiful views. Comfy couches too!

Cleopatra's (the piano bar) is smoking and we popped in there for a short while. (I had just woken up from a nap and was a little overstimulated) Everyone in here seemed to be having a blast with the Sing Along with Rick.

Cat's Lounge was closed when we went in there because it was off hours but it was a nice place to sit in the quiet and no one was ever in there during off hours except for some crew. It was cool to sit and talk with them.

Andrew tried to find the crew bar below decks because we KNOW that it is smoking but was thwarted in his efforts and asked to leave by the really tall (he said 6'8") blonde guy. You will see him around...ya cant miss him. :)

Hope this helps! Bring on the questions! I love em! :)

:D Thanks sooooooooooooooo much for taking your time to answer my questons!!!!!

:D Thanks sooooooooooooooo much for taking your time to answer my questons!!!!!

Noooooooo problem. Its almost like I get to extend my cruise a little bit by helping you folks. I got so much help from these boards before I sailed I felt almost obligated to write this review...and I had so much fun doing it.

I think cruising is what you make of it. We have fun most of the time and on cruises its like fun to the umpteenth power. I seriously cant wait for my next.

Nancy, thank you so much for writing an amazing review! I greatly enjoyed reading this, and it just makes me even more excited about our upcoming cruise. I just loved seeing how much fun you and Andrew had. :D

I did have a hotel question, if you don't mind. We're doing a park and cruise deal at the Radisson in North Charleston, off of Rivers Ave. Even though I remember reading on the boards about how some areas of North Charleston were a little sketchy, I wasn't as concerned about that when I booked this room, but now I wonder if I should be concerned. I thought it was a really good deal for everything it included, but honestly, my main reason for wanting to stay in that area was because I found out there was a Carrabba's in North Charleston! :o DH and I used to love going to Carrabba's here, but we haven't been in a long time because it's just too stressful with a baby and toddler in tow, LOL. So I wanted to make the best of our time alone. I just wanted to know if you knew anything about the safety of this area - thanks!