Delta Airlines Heathrow to U.s. Carry On Baggage

I have been trying to get a straight answer from Delta Airlines but the representative I spoke with wasn't sure. I was hoping someone has flown from Heathrow to the U.S. recently that reads this forum. Do you know if you are allowed to bring a carry on piece of luggage and also a personal item onto the plane with you? I know that Heathrow had a strict policy and only allowed one item onboard with you but I don't know if that is still the policy. Also, can the one item be a roll-a-away piece of luggage?

Thank you,

RMLLEL

Unless Delta has some particular restrictions of its own, you are allowed to take more than one personal item through security at Heathrow and you can take roll-away luggage. However, maximum dimensions cannot exceed 22 inches tall (56cm), 17.7 inches wide (45cm) and 10 inches deep (25cm).

I have been trying to get a straight answer from Delta Airlines but the representative I spoke with wasn't sure. I was hoping someone has flown from Heathrow to the U.S. recently that reads this forum. Do you know if you are allowed to bring a carry on piece of luggage and also a personal item onto the plane with you? I know that Heathrow had a strict policy and only allowed one item onboard with you but I don't know if that is still the policy. Also, can the one item be a roll-a-away piece of luggage?

Thank you,

RMLLEL

Why not post this on the Air boards,you might get a quick answer

Thank you,

RMLLEL

We returned to the USA from Heathrow on April 29. It was on American Airlines. To answer your question Heathrow does allow you to bring one carry on piece of luggage (must be within the specified size) and one personal items (eg., purse, computer bag, etc.). And the Delta website shows you can do the same on its flights.

This is the current policy. Again the two items are fine at this point in time.

Keith

I know that Heathrow had a strict policy and only allowed one item onboard with you but I don't know if that is still the policy.
There was a one item-only policy in place for all flights for quite a long period after August 2006, but that was lifted some time ago. Then, after the Christmas 2009 attack, flights to the US had this restriction imposed again for a period, but I believe that has now also been fully lifted.

These refer to the limits imposed by the airport. Any airline can impose a lower limit, but the airline will be in the best position to know about that.

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I just printed off from Delta,"United Kindom security regulations permit only one carry-on item for customers traveling from: London-Heathrow, London-Gatwick, Manchester, Edinburgh. Be aware that HANDBAGS ARE INCLUDED IN THIS CARRY-ON BAGGAGE and may not be carried as a sersonal item."

I don't know if Delta hasn't updated the info but, this is directly from their GENERAL CONDITIONS OF BAGGAGE ACCEPTANCE. If this is the case I have to rethink a few things like take a smaller purse so it will fit in my over the shoulder carry-on. It's hard to carry a small purse when traveling! Other option is to empty purse and pack it in your checked bag and jam the items you need in the carry-on. :eek: Sandy

If you go to the Heathrow airport website and look at their baggage information, you will find that you can carry on more than one item now. If Delta are saying you can't, that's some rule of their own, nothing to do with UK security regulations. But more than likely Delta just haven't updated their website.

I just looked at the Delta site and it does say that from London Heathrow you are allowed one carry-on only. I guess I will put my pocketbook into my carryon. Don't really like that idea though.

This is what I just printed off from Delta,"United Kindom security regulations permit only one carry-on item for customers traveling from: London-Heathrow, London-Gatwick, Manchester, Edinburgh. Be aware that HANDBAGS ARE INCLUDED IN THIS CARRY-ON BAGGAGE and may not be carried as a sersonal item."

I don't know if Delta hasn't updated the info ...

I just looked at the Delta site and it does say that from London Heathrow you are allowed one carry-on only.
I suspect that the Delta website is out of date.

At any rate, part of what it says is definitely untrue: any such restriction has nothing to do with UK security regulations any more, because those restrictions have all been lifted. As far as security is concerned, you can bring as many items of cabin baggage as you like. In fact, UK security no longer imposes a restriction on the size of cabin baggage items, so the rules are now purely those of the airline.

On May 9th I had a large handbag and a 22" carry-on sized bag on a Delta flight from LHR to DTW, and I had no problem. I was a bit worried because my carry-on was quite heavy, but I had an additional security check, and it was fine.

On May 9th I had a large handbag and a 22" carry-on sized bag on a Delta flight from LHR to DTW, and I had no problem. I was a bit worried because my carry-on was quite heavy, but I had an additional security check, and it was fine.

I checked with my husband, and he carried a carry-on bag and a camera bag on this flight.

As a frequent DL website viewer and flyer with them..I can tell you they do not update their system very often..Many times I have had to call to get specific info...At this point those above that have said two items etc. are correct....

thank you all for posting. our cruise is a month away and we are getting excited. i am really glad that i will be able to take a carryon plus a personal item. i just couldn't fit everything in the bag i was going to check and now i won't have to worry. didn't want to pay delta for an extra bag. they are getting enough of our money!

Archived