Never too old!

Musicus

These will be two identical trips of 11 days each: Kiel-Copenhagen-Trondheim-Honningsvag- Tromso, Hellesylt&Geiranger-Bergen-Kiel, all together 2926 Miles. I have no idea about the places north of Copenhagen and (sadly) have no map of the Skandivian countries (except Google, which I shall consult next time on line). In Kiel, I went swimming for the first time again at 7.30 am and did 15 laps. It turned out to be a lovely day and I drove all the way into town where I found a McDonald's but it required a mobile phone number to register and then you would get only one hour free Internet access. I got the manager to log me in and stayed one hour and later on my travels - I always try here and there - I hit on a free WiFi but had to work on my knees sitting on the scooter in the middle of the sidewalk. New tablemates - 2 Australian couples and one single man, also from there, plus a German couple who speak quite well English. So there was the usual Champagne toast and everyone was happy. And Angelica, as is my usual procedure, benefited by 3 chocolate covered strawberries.

June 4: Beautiful Copenhagen, a gorgeous day and I cruise around a lot in warm sunshine, finding WiFi in a park overlooking a small yacht harbour and sat there on a bench doing my thing , with my legs up on the seat of the scooter. I made quite a few pictures and will attach some of them.

June 5: One of 4 Sea-days on this cruise. I am listed in the daily program as "our special guest Egon" playing in the Atrium from 4-4.45pm. This morning it was too cold and the sea too wild for me to swim, even though I was ready for it at 7.30am. First gala night of this trip, but the big cocktail party always connected to it (the only one where you can get a martini instead of the eternal champagne!) is only some time after we've had our dinner - sure is a bad situation, but I'll have the martini just the same.

June 7: The ship seems almost taken over by Germans, but there are actually also quite a few Italians, Australians and I also met already 2 Swiss couples. After the second sea-day, for which I had prepared a different program for my playing, catering somewhat to the German majority, we are now approaching Honningsvag, but we just passed the North Cape, the northernmost point in Europe where the sun never sets, 600 Miles North of the Polar Circle on which there is a meteorological Research Station of which I made a Photo. From Honningsvag, where we will be tendered ashore and which lies 30 Km. South of the Cape on the island of Mageroya, excursions to the Cape are available all evening until late and we leave only at 2.30 am for Tromso, 178 Miles further South. This certainly is a special experience but because of the inclement weather, the midnight sun will not shine. Nevertheless, the Cape is a very popular destination and dozens of buses take tourists there - there is (of course!) a restaurant and even a hotel and a lot of history!

June 8: Honningsvag. After we were tendered ashore, the ship has now docked right in town and unloaded passengers which total that of the town's inhabitants! I went all through town on my scooter - it's quite hilly and has some very old and some very new buildings; the latter I discovered housing the library, where I not only was able to warm up in, but sat a long time comfortably and with WiFi, got to know Hege, the librarian, who spoke good English and has relatives in Vancouver. From her I learned that there is quite a melange of nationalities in Honningsvag - people from all over settled here after the war. Like I found in Iceland, here, too, there is an active social/cultural life, no doubt developed especially well due to the 3 months of darkness they have to endure.

June 9: On the way South to Tromso, we travel close to the rugged and mountainous coastline with its many fjords -quite a fascinating but forbidding landscape and not unlike the coastline going to Alaska from Vancouver on the inside passage. In Tromso, we park 4.5 KM away from the city center, so they say, and MSC provides shuttle service for 9 Euros which, for me, means about CAD 14, which I am loath to spend on this, so I spend an hour and a half cruising around. First in the entirely industrial area where we are parked, then, crossing a very busy highway (with the help of helpful motorists), I find a bicycle path which takes me through much calmer areas to the opposite end from where I started, but then I decided not to go on, because it was getting too late. So there, when I left the path, I had no choice but enter the very busy road at a roundabout with extremely (surprisingly so!) heavy traffic and waited in line with cars to enter it, which eventually I did too, again with the considerateness of automobilists, and was able to cross back into the industrial zone and eventually to the ship. Of course: during this tour of some 1-1/2 hours, I often stopped at likely spots and checked for WiFi, and while there were some unsecured ones, none let me in without their requirements. But I digress: before all this, in the morning, another Scrabble game with my 3 Australian friends (which I did not win), and IMGP0397c.jpgthen, after lunch, I realized that it was 70C outside with the sun shining and nobody was in the pool, so I swam 15 laps and sat in the Jacuzzi for a while before going on my safari (from which I had to first return to the ship to pick up my laptop which I had forgotten - Dummy!

10. June: Another Sea-day with Scrabble in the morning and piano in the afternoon. Going South along the rugged Norwegian coast with still snow covered mountains - very impressive and beautiful.

11. June: We have entered the truly spectacular Geirangerfjord, with towering mountains each side of the ship as it slowly glides along the sometimes quite narrow water channel - there are many waterfalls, notably the one called "Seven Sisters". In Geiranger, which has only some 250 inhabitants but two big hotels, quite a few stores and even a camping where I can see several motorhomes parked, we are tendered ashore and I find WiFi at the Information office. But then I set out with the scooter and drive up the road in serpentines to where I see the big hotel and a waterfall - it's quite a long distance and occasionally a steep ascent. I am again impressed with the scooter's performance. I take many pictures and a video of the waterfall and enter the Fjord Center in a modern building with lots of exhibits but also welcome toilet facilities. Gerainger is one of three Fjord Unesco Heritage Sites. I get a beautiful photo of Poesia way below in the Fjord, but also take a snapshot of a very large Photograph in the Center of no less than 6 Cruise Ships anchored in the lakelike waters in front of the little town - it's a very important destination for tourists who also come here by car or buses. Again I am reminded of places in Switzerland of similarity and beauty.

June 12: Bergen. Cloudy and cool, but not too bad for sitting awhile on the scooter with the laptop propped up on the steering column in front of McDonald's which opens only at 11 because it's Sunday. But at 10 they are putting some tables on chairs in front and I can sit more comfortably. Before getting here, I passed through the picturesque Bryggen Sector with its quaint houses and see quite a bit of this very lively city, Norway's second largest. Tomorrow is another sea-day (when I play scrabble again and piano for the 4th time this trip - (each with a different repertoire). Then back to Kiel and another 11 day trip to the North Cape.

One thing I dont think I like is the way Egon did it this trip. His ship goes to same ports for months at a time. I think I would get tired of that real fast. By going on a world cruise the ship goes to a diferent port each day . The other thing is what Egon has found is passengers are on ship for 1 to 2 weeks and get off. You just get to know someone and then they are gone. On a world trip the majority on people are on ship for most of the trip. Ive learned a few things from Eagons trip of what not to do. This sofar has been a learning experence . I think combining a few 40 to 100 day cruises would make more sence . Plus maybe doing a couple of diferent cruise lines so you can see what each offers . CARL

I have been reading this great Adventure Tale, and am sorry he selected this cruise line. Perhaps things have changed for him since this point, but I haven' t read farther than his getting on the ship to cross the ocean, so I do not know. I do know that Princess has wonderful long range cruises, and like what you suggested, I think it would have been a much better experience, both with having the same people around, and also seeing more places. I have cruised many cruise lines, but not this one due to bad comments I heard from people who had tried this line and not liked it.

CAC104 I agree with you. Im looking at a HAL 105 day and a HAL 60 day plus a Princess 74 day. I like meeting people but those 7 to 10 day cruises people are here and gone. If Eagon could have done two or three 90 day cruises he would have met friends to do the whole cruise . At least met someone to go to town with . Id never trust that scooter like he does. My luck 4 miles from ship it breaks and Im stuck there till ship returns . Im 60 but I dont think i could carry that scooter back to ship and something has to wear out sometime. Eather batteries , wheel bearings , or drive motor. Sounds like he also needed a roof on his scooter for rainy days . CARL

It makes me a little bit sad some of the comments about he should have done this, should have done that. He chose this because I believe he felt comfortable and so far he seems to be enjoying it, barring some of the unfortunate mishaps along the way. I give him kudos for doing it scooter or no scooter. If you worry about what may happen, it ruins the whole darned trip. I wish him a wonderful 3 more months of health and happiness. I'm not so sure I ever heard him say he was done cruising after this venture. Did you?

I think Egon truly enjoys the "turnover" on this ship as that gives him the opportunity to meet many people. I think he likes the mystery of what interesting person or 'love interest' he might meet at the next dinner seating. This itinerary certainly gives him that opportunity. If he had the same tablemates for 90 days or longer, that might get old for him. Just a thought.

I think Egon truly enjoys the "turnover" on this ship as that gives him the opportunity to meet many people. I think he likes the mystery of what interesting person or 'love interest' he might meet at the next dinner seating. This itinerary certainly gives him that opportunity. If he had the same tablemates for 90 days or longer, that might get old for him. Just a thought.

Laura>>It was one year ago today that you got the good news of your scare with your lungs. Hope all is well with you and Dalton. :)

I don't post often on here but I read this thread faithfully every day and just want to thank you ( and the picture lady!!) for keeping us up to date on Egon's wonderful adventures.

Sue

Sue started it ;)

:D

The Picture Lady....LOL....:D

Thank you again both of you.

PICS TO COME

In Kiel I lost my table/scrabble-mates and with some of them I became good friends and will miss them. I took the free shuttlebus to the Railroad Station and there, opposite to where it stops, is the Sophienhof, a huge inside Shopping center where on the first floor I found a cafe, part of a large book store, with free WiFi and spent a few hours. The Dinner table was empty except for myself, but I had been forwarned by Ivan, the Maitre d' that this would be so, because the people assigned to it only would get on at Copenhagen and I arranged that the champagne would be delivered the next day.

June 15, Copenhagen. And so it was. the 3 couples are from the state of Washington, from Australia and one from Monte Carlo as well as Bangkok - feudal residences in both places to go with the fact that she is a Marquise, (a title just below that of a Duchess), and is a "Dame Commander of Justice". She could be the daughter of her Thai husband and amazingly is also a Swiss from Solothurn. They have traveled the whole world and somewhere there must be a gold mine. Anyway, Champagne and Strawberries were duly appreciated by all and by Angelica who got her ration of three berries as well. I also had one.

The day in Copenhagen meant a lot of driving around because we were docked at another pier far away from where we had been last time and I wanted to get back to the bench in front of the little yacht harbour where I had sat last time and had free WiFi. I found it at last. but alas, the WiFi was no longer free. Eventually I went back to the ship and found free WiFi right there. I'm sure I drove 4-5 KM altogether.

June 16, At Sea: Scrabble in the morning, Piano in the afternoon. Then the General Cocktail Party with two Martinis, because this is the first Gala Night of this trip (one of three). But I also have an invitation to "Dine with the Captain" at 8.30 and this is labeled "en famille"because there are no other passengers invited. I am led to the Captain's table by the pretty hotel manager Kristina and the Concierge Laura. There are all the officers and the top echelon of the ship's management present and I get the seat of honour next to the Captain. In conversation with him, I find out that he is only 44 years old and I realize that, Ye Gawds, I am all of a half a century older than he is!! After the two hour affair I clink my wineglass and thank them all for having included me in the Poesia Family. And so to bed, perchance to dream ...

June 17, Trondheim: nothing too exciting; it was a little rainy and I didn't go far into the city, as there was WiFi available close to the pier. In the morning a very slow Scrabble game.

June 18, At sea, with one more slow Scrabble and afternoon piano - I don't blame you if you are bored at this point with my reports!

Today is the birthday of my wife Heidy, but also the date of her passing five years ago.

June 19, Honningsvag. We have arrived and it's a beautiful sunny day with the outside temperature at 1.30PM 56F (13C) and rising. We are at Latitude 70*57'00"N. The midnight sun will shine tonight and the ship is leaving only at 2.30 AM. But I will forgo the excursion to the North Cape to see it because it is quite strenuous, very late a night and quite expensive (over US$ 100). I'll see the sun in daytime - it's the same one! Now I am awaiting the signal that we can go ashore.

Once ashore, I drive up the main road to where I remember the library is, but of course it is closed since it's a Sunday. So I sit in front of the building on the Scooter with the laptop on the steering column and while the sun shines, I have to be in the shade to see the screen and there is a biting and icy wind which makes the 56F temperature feel like 32F. I have sporadic internet access and do what has to be done but eventually, after driving around some more and taking a few more pictures, get back to the ship, thoroughly chilled, which I am sure does nothing to relieve my continuing cough spasms. Happy to get back into the warm cabin, load my photos into the computer and title them and now, after dinner, am writing these few lines. Before dinner, I had invited Allan, the Guest Relations Manager, with whom I am become good friends and we had a couple of drinks in my cabin and good conversation. He just turned 30, is a very bright and talented man from Honduras and speaks 5 languages well. He also is very helpful to me by reducing the service charges.

June 20, Tromso. this is the place where we dock at an industrial area some 4 KM away from the city center. MSC provides a shuttle bus which however costs 9 Euros which translates for me to almost US$ 14 I am not willing to invest. Instead, I had already reconnoitered the neighbourhood last time we were here and know that there is a large hospital way up on the hill facing us and that's where I drive to after crossing a somewhat hazardous main highway where there is no crossing. It's quite a drive uphill and once again I am impressed with the Scooter's power and stamina. I wind up near the personel exit at the hospital and, as I expected, have Wifi. The usual routine: sitting on the Scooter with the laptop on the steering column. After a while, a young woman comes out and goes to her bycicle parked close to where I am and asks me in English whether I have internet access. We get into a conversation, she tells me that she is a physical therapist and also offers to come with me to the main entrance of the hospital higher up, where I could be more comfortable. This we do and we have an animated talk about her life. Her name is Kristin and she's now on my mailing list. We only docked at 3.30pm and leave at 8.30pm. Around 6pm I descend the hill -it's quite a ride!-, again take my life in hand and cross the highway, re-enter the ship and am glad to lie down for a few minutes before dinner at 7.15pm which is very unusual (usual time is 5.45 for the first seating).

June 22, Geiranger. After another Sea-Day with the by now usual routines, we get to my favorite beautiful place in the Geirangerfjord. This time there are 3 cruiseships in the relatively small area in front of the town, which is bustling with tourists. I do my computer stuff at the information office and afterwards drive to the Campground where there are many motorhomes and trailers parked, most from Germany. It's a beautiful day and I once again

think how nice it would be to live the nomadic life in a motorhome or trailer as we did for so many years in the past. But I guess it's not going to happen any more this time around.

June 23, Bergen. A van, specially equipped to take wheelchairs etc., brings me to the center of the city and once again I sit at McDonalds for a couple of hours with WiFi. Later I sightsee and enjoy the very lively scene of the main plaza with quite a few and very good musicians here and there, including an excellent brass quartett. I get back to the ship around 4 pm and have a date with Allan, first to have a drink with me in my cabin at 6pm and then go to eat at the fancy Obelisk Restaurant located at the stern of the ship from where one has a beautiful panoramic view, where one actually has to pay between 20 and 30 Euro for the meal. However, as a Black Card holder, I am entitled to eat there for free once on every cruise, a privilege I am using for the first time. The ambiance, decor and service are superb and so is the view as we slowly drive out the fjord from Bergen. But the fact that I have to pay for the mineral water in such a setting is to my mind petty and detracts from the otherwise beautiful experience.

June 24: Fourth Sea-Day with Scrabble and Pianoplay, which I finish with the German/Austrian "Sag beim Abschied leise Servus" and the international "Auf Wiedersehn". Had much Applause and was photographed at least six times!

--

: http://home.cablerocket.com/~egon/index.htm

Edited by yellowbird23

Thanks again...much appreciated by all, at least me :D:D

You were correct the first time when you said "much appreciated by all."

A lot of us are silently following the Adventures of Egon, hoping we will be just like him when we grow up.

What a whiz you are! Thanks again...much appreciated by all, at least me :D:D

Why, thank you!! The older I get, the smarter I get....LOL....and I appreciate that all the pictures are pre-set to fit Cruise Critic's size criterium...it makes it so much easier.

Joyce :D

And appreciated by me three! :D Also appreciate Pat's posting his narrative adventures. I too, am living a dream through his adventures and I hope I'm just like him when I grow up!! I'm already a "senior". ;):)

Sue