Your thoughts: "Lecturers" as entertainment? Hot topics?

chickie_mite

I don't think on 7 day cruises with only a couple sea days they make much sense but on long cruises with lots of sea days they can be great. I did a 30 day trans Pacific last fall and there was a lecture each sea day on some aspect of the history of cruising - the main theatre was full every time. On a LA to Rio cruise had a very good speaker on local animals and various geography aspects that were well attended. On a trans Atlantic this spring there were several lectures on the US space program. Other than some lectures briefly mentioning books they had for sale, the talks were pure informational. I generally find them to be a great way to fill in an hour or so on a long journey but in the past have had some professers do lectures in a very dry manner - had to feel very sorry for any student that had to listen to them on a regular basis.

Our top choice for a late night lecture would be astronomy/navigation/seamanship given by one of the ship’s officers. Our second choice for late night lecture would be sea myth/fable/superstition. These lectures could include the sale of wine and champagne, but that would necessitate a talk on, “Why we love the French, Italian, and some Californians.“

Our top choice for daytime workshop would be a skeet shooting lecture with passenger participation. Unfortunately, we suspect that this idea is without legs. Our second choice for daytime would be, “Julia Childs’ cooking with butter and wine,” but then we would have to hear the, “Why we love the French, Italian, and some Californians,” back to back.

We would not be interested in “The Art of Deduction” lecture. We understand the magic of compounding money. If free drinks were included, we might nap through it. The only sales pitch we would attend would be, “How to purchase full ownership in a stateroom,” and we would definitely require free drinks for this one.

Our top choice for a late night lecture would be astronomy/navigation/seamanship given by one of the ship’s officers. Our second choice for late night lecture would be sea myth/fable/superstition. These lectures could include the sale of wine and champagne, but that would necessitate a talk on, “Why we love the French, Italian, and some Californians.“

Our top choice for daytime workshop would be a skeet shooting lecture with passenger participation. Unfortunately, we suspect that this idea is without legs. Our second choice for daytime would be, “Julia Childs’ cooking with butter and wine,” but then we would have to hear the, “Why we love the French, Italian, and some Californians,” back to back.

We would not be interested in “The Art of Deduction” lecture. We understand the magic of compounding money. If free drinks were included, we might nap through it. The only sales pitch we would attend would be, “How to purchase full ownership in a stateroom,” and we would definitely require free drinks for this one.

First of all, love the tongue in cheek statements RE loving the French et al!

Secondly---love the skeet shooting idea, that would be a winner for me! Also love the "purchase full ownership in a stateroom" idea.

Skeet shooting..........hello, John Heald? Hello?

I think it would be great to have more choices. I've been to lectures and self-help talks on other lines and almost always found them interesting or useful. There are a lot of topics that I think could attract a pretty good crowd--talks about the history and culture places being visited (not just about the shopping), self-help computer or new-tech classes (I would love to have someone explain to me about the laste gadgets--how they work and whether they are worth getting), food and cooking talks and demos, and cruise/ship-related topics (a talk by a couple of crew members about what goes on behind-the-scenes on my Carnival Pride cruise earlier this year was very well attended). Lectures/talks can be entertaining. The more choices for things to do on ship the better, in my opinion.

Also, on another cruiseline, we had a lecture who talked about the Pirates of the Caribbean. That one was a full house. The guy talked about the well known like Blackbeard and lesser known ones from various island legends.This would be a great option for sea days.

That sounds interesting! I attended the lectures during our Alaska cruise-some I sorta slept thru and others kept my interest. Just like any other onboard activities--If I have an interest in the topic, I will attend.

We attended one on NCL about the ruins we would be visiting, it was interesting.

I think John was talking about the Magic TA and having something for all those sea days. I think they have 6 sea days in a row, not something I'd ever want to do, but can understand why the need for more than just trivia contests.

I would attend lectures . . maybe not the ones listed, though.

I'd attend a history lecture - particularly if it was about the areas visited.

I'd be likely to attend something about food and cooking, especially if it was about the local foods (i.e. Mexican cooking, if sailing to Mexico).

A night-time astronomy lecture (on the upper decks, with full view of the stars) would be fun

DH is a real history buff so would love that if pertaining to the local we were going.

Sales lectures are a real turn off.

On our last cruise, they had a lecture about artist Salvador Dali. My son is an art buff and really wanted to attend so I went with him (against my will) so he wouldn't have to go alone (he was 14.) I ended up totally enjoying it and was disapponted it didnt last longer. Some of the lectures might surprise people, but for myself, I probably wouldn't have attended this one if my son hadn't dragged me there.

I go on cruises to entertained- not educated. I get educated the other 51 or so weeks a year than I don't cruise/vacation! And I consider lectures education. :p Anything I wanted to learn about, I would do it at home. I want to relax on a cruise.

You can do both at the same time, you know.

It's kind of like watching a live-action History Channel presentation.

And some people genuinely enjoy learning something new.

I think I would enjoy lectures on the local history of the ports, as well as basic seamanship and sea lore.

I think I would rather punch myself in the throat repeatedly than have a registered Financial Advisor on board (like he can get me on the road to retirement at 55 in the five minutes he'd spend speaking to me), or some self-help guru. That's crap that's best done at home, when in the proper frame of mind.

As a nurse: It would be even better if an entertainer(s) for the cruise line could be a little continuing education diddy, making our vacations TAX DEDUCTIBLE!! cha ching! They have seminars at sea, but always privately planned, spots go fast and usually cost much more for the cruise and meeting together than would seperately. :/

I think I would rather punch myself in the throat repeatedly than have a registered Financial Advisor on board (like he can get me on the road to retirement at 55 in the five minutes he'd spend speaking to me), or some self-help guru. That's crap that's best done at home, when in the proper frame of mind.

Actually, I would rather stick a fork in my eye! When I think lecture, I think of something financial. DH talked me into going to a Fidelity one last week, and I died a slow death there. There might be some topics I would attend - pole dancing 101, for example!:p:D

I present environmental classes throughout my county to school children. Sometimes I talk to adult groups too. Think that CCL would hire me to tell everyone more about landfills, trash, and recycling???:D

Only if it didn't interfere with the message in a bottle classes being taught.

Actually, I would rather stick a fork in my eye! When I think lecture, I think of something financial. DH talked me into going to a Fidelity one last week, and I died a slow death there. There might be some topics I would attend - pole dancing 101, for example!:p:D

Ya know you can combine the best of both worlds .

The world of pole dancing and finance.

From what I hear if you have sexy naked girls gyrateing and strutting their stuff ....Suze Orman will show up :)

Archived