What will the weather be like in New Orleans

ddoc

in January. We're looking at the Conquest for the 1/15/11. Those of you that have sailed from there what did you experience? I'm concerned about it being too cold and that we would only have warm weather for 3 days.

in January. We're looking at the Conquest for the 1/15/11. Those of you that have sailed from there what did you experience? I'm concerned about it being too cold and that we would only have warm weather for 3 days.

Let me get my crystal ball.....:)

Seriously, I live in the south. January down here means that you could potentially experience temperatures in the 40's on the first and last day, and temperatures in the 50's-60's on the second day and day before last as the ship heads to/from the warmer climate. Also, keep in mind that fog is more likely during that time of year, which can potentially delay your departure or arrival, so book your flights accordingly.

We had one of the coldest days in December, snow just outside New Orleans. Its a long way down the Mississippi at slow speed, so you dont get as far as say going out of Galveston toward warmer weather. It was 46 degrees up on deck during breakfast our first sea day and pouring rain. Pretty miserable...but its luck of the draw. You could have a nice warm day too. Who can predict?

because I thought someone had mentioned bad weather before leaving from this port in January. I didn't know about the fog. In 2009, I postponed my trip on the Splendor and ended up being on the first Swine Flu cruise that only stopped in San Fran not Cabo, not PV and not Mazalan.

You will only need a light jacket for the day you board and the morning you disembark. It may also be windy on the islands ...but not cold.

We have very few "really cold days" down here in NOLA :) ...my MIL is from NY and we took a trip from NOLA to PA one time for a buying trip in the winter...and she laughed at me because...it was so cold in Philly...I could not move :eek:

We always cruise in early Dec or Jan....YOU... will think it's Spring :D

I didn't know about the fog...

Yep. Morning fog is one of those things that people don't really think about, but that affects pretty much all ports along the gulf coast (Galveston, New Orleans, Mobile, even Tampa) during the winter months.

In some instances, ships have been delayed more than 12 hours waiting for the fog to clear!

We had one of the coldest days in December, snow just outside New Orleans. Its a long way down the Mississippi at slow speed, so you dont get as far as say going out of Galveston toward warmer weather. It was 46 degrees up on deck during breakfast our first sea day and pouring rain. Pretty miserable...but its luck of the draw. You could have a nice warm day too. Who can predict?

Fire...I am a born and raised New Orleanian and I can count my "Snow Days" in my lifetime using about....6 of my fingers :p

It could be anywhere between 30 to 80 degrees. The only problem I see with this cruise is that the Conquest is not in New Orleans !!!:confused:

I am thinking ...that they meant 2012 :)

I sailed out of New Orleans last January and the January before and did not have to wear a jacket when leaving or returning and there was no fog.

It is nice weather except when a front comes through and the cold usually only lasts a few days.

I sailed out of New Orleans last January and the January before and did not have to wear a jacket when leaving or returning and there was no fog.

It is nice weather except when a front comes through and the cold usually only lasts a few days.

You are right, this past January I wore a sleeveless blouse on the embarkation day :D

However, there are many days in January that a light jacket comes in handy...for me anyways ;)

Fire...I am a born and raised New Orleanian and I can count my "Snow Days" in my lifetime using about....6 of my fingers :p

Like I said, it snowed CLOSE to New Orleans, not in New Orleans.

.... but that was the coldest cruise Iv ever done, I kid you not. It was early Dec, not Jan or Feb, so you would have thought it wouldnt have been that cold.

Having lived here on the gulf coast all of my life, I can tell you that January is our coldest month of the year on average. Having said that, daytime temps can average from the 40's to the 70's. Plan your cruise kind of like you are going to Alaska in June.

Being from the New Orleans area, this past January's cold snap was the coldest we've seen in quite some time. Just check the weather forecast a few days before you leave on your trip, and you should be fine. Most winters here are like early spring temps in other parts of the country. Very seldom drops below freezing, however, January is usually the coldest month for us.

Even if a cold front hits New Orleans on the day you are leaving the next 6 days will be above 70 degrees.

The only time we ever wore long sleeves on a January cruise was in the air conditioned showroom or dining room.

You can expect the weather to be at least 20 degrees warmer when you get off the plane in New Orleans than when you get on it in Pennsylvania.

We were on the Fantasy a couple years ago in January and decided that will be the last January cruise we take. Our stops were Cozumel and Progresso and in both places the water was too cold for us to get in. There were very few people that were actually in the water. More like getting their feet wet then laying out on the beach.

On our way back we hit a cold front and it rocked the boat for the whole sea day...first time I had ever been sick on a boat. The dining rooms, elevators and some of the lounges were flooded due to the water coming over the bow of the ship. It was crazy!

But bigger ships behave differently and the Fantasy is a small ship in their fleet. Look on the internet for average water temps for that area and decide if the water will be too cold for you and you can plan to do other excursions.

Have fun on your trip and just make the most of what you get ;)

I'm about 5 hours northeast of NOLA but I can tell you that Southern weather is very unpredicatable. When we went on our cruise one January, we left from short sleeve weather and came back to iced over roads. Generally, a light jacket will suffice though. We are looking at the same cruise, maybe we'll see you there!

Archived