Golden Window Suites

gregjm

We just got off the Golden this morning and wanted to relay my thoughts on the Window Suites that were added to the Golden last year.

We have always had mini-suites and have grown accustomed to having a balcony. The WS's intrigued me though, especially since the balcony was seldom used on our last two Alaska cruises.

We were able to book a WS about six weeks before the cruise at a rate that was about $50 more than a mini suite. We were in Suite F305 and absolutely loved it. We would book a window suite again in a heartbeat. The rooms were well laid out, nicely decorated and very comfortable. The two large picture windows gave a great view no matter where you were sitting or standing. In fact, I think in the window suite we saw more of Alaska while we were in the room than with a balcony.

The suite amenities were also an added bonus---especially the Sabattini breakfast and free wi-fi. The location was concerning at first as I wondered if there would be noise from the atrium area or from people leaving the theatre. It was an unfounded worry. The rooms have a seperate hallway that is very soundproof.

The best part of the room was the marble bath---two sinks, jacuzzi, and separate shower. Closet and drawer space was overly ample.

I took pictures and will post some when I get home, but wanted to give a quick update on our experience in a WS. Any questions, please ask.

We just got off the Golden this morning and wanted to relay my thoughts on the Window Suites that were added to the Golden last year.

We have always had mini-suites and have grown accustomed to having a balcony. The WS's intrigued me thought, especially since the balcony was seldom used on our last two Alaska cruises.

We were able to book a WS about six weeks before the cruise at a rate that was about $50 more than a mini suite. We were in Suite F305 and absolutely loved it. We would book a window suite again in a heartbeat. The rooms were well laid out, nicely decorated and very comfortable. The two large picture windows gave a great view no matter where you were sitting or standing. In fact, I think in the window suite we saw more of Alaska while we were in the room than with a balcony.

The suite amenities were also an added bonus---especially the Sabattini breakfast and free wi-fi. The location was concerning at first as I wondered if there would be noise from the atrium area or from people leaving the theatre. It was an unfounded worry. The rooms have a seperate hallway that is very soundproof.

The best part of the room was the marble bath---two sinks, jacuzzi, and separate shower. Closet and drawer space was overly ample.

I took pictures and will post some when I get home, but wanted to give a quick update on our experience in a WS. Any questions, please ask.

Glad you enjoyed the Window Suites. I was hoping to see someone post their thoughts on this category.

Bob

We have done 2 cruises in the Window Suites when the prices were right. The WS is a great bargain when it is at or near the mini price.

We were able to grab our WS cabins when the prices were terrific. The cabins are really great and the bathrooms are spectacular. The perks surely are worth a couple of hundred bucks -- even for elite level who have lots of internet, free laundry, etc.

Unfortunately the WS on our next cruise is twice the price of our mini so we skipped it.

There were a complete series of WS photos posted earlier at: http://travel.webshots.com/album/570777843WBexeH

P&J

We have always had mini-suites and have grown accustomed to having a balcony. The WS's intrigued me though, especially since the balcony was seldom used on our last two Alaska cruises.

Princess' window suites don't intrigue all that much, for two reasons.....too low in the ship, and the windows are too small. That said, I almost booked one for Alaska this year when the prices were so good, but missed out on it by about 10 minutes because it was the only handicapped accessible stateroom left on the ship and someone else got it while I was on the phone trying to book.

So, I ended up booking on on NCL Star for the same week. Their window suites have floor to ceiling windows all the way across the outboard wall, so much more like a balcony, just not outside. And they are on Deck 12 instead of "the bowels of the ship" as DD likes to call it down there nearer to the water line. Glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I will try it on the cruise after 2011 if the price is right.

We have done 2 cruises in the Window Suites when the prices were right. The WS is a great bargain when it is at or near the mini price.

We were able to grab our WS cabins when the prices were terrific. The cabins are really great and the bathrooms are spectacular. The perks surely are worth a couple of hundred bucks -- even for elite level who have lots of internet, free laundry, etc.

Unfortunately the WS on our next cruise is twice the price of our mini so we skipped it.

There were a complete series of WS photos posted earlier at: http://travel.webshots.com/album/570777843WBexeH

P&J

Thanks for posting the link to your pictures. Looks like a nice room.....:):):)

Bob

We had a window suite on the Golden is May, LA to Vancouver. WE loved it!

Our only challenge was the footsteps from the Promenade deck above our heads.

The bathroom was amazing! Love the idea of being able to order from the dinner room's diner menu. (yummy lobster dinner, while still wearing our swimwear!) Breakfast in Sabatini's was a delight.Loads of closet space and lots of drawers.

If the price were right we'd take a WS again in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the great pictures. On the average what is the price differance between a ful suite and the window suites and or a mini suite?

Right now for the cruise we are taking in February 2012 to Hawaii (14 days) on the Golden Princess the prices are as follows:

Mini-Suites range from $3095 - $3395 per person

Window Suites are $4820 per person

Full Suites range from $5145 - $7545 per person

P&J

Only trouble is, if I had one of these rooms, I doubt if I would ever be seen outside the entire cruise. :D

Curious as we are 4 away from Elite, so our neighbor on Crown told us to book short cruises in a suite. So a SW may work, saving us money & getting the double credits that suites get for each cruise. OR are they classified a mini that get 1?

Curious as we are 4 away from Elite, so our neighbor on Crown told us to book short cruises in a suite. So a SW may work, saving us money & getting the double credits that suites get for each cruise. OR are they classified a mini that get 1?

A WS is a full suite and you receive 2 cruise credits if you book one of them.

You will get 2 points however the savings are not that great. For example on a 1 day reposition.. Mini: $153pp, Suite: $433pp, Window Suite: $388pp

Yes and if you sail solo in a suite you get 3.

Solo in a reg cabin you get 2.

I'm still confused. Do they count days, or credits? We're considering a RT LA to Hawaii in a suite. Is that two credits? I'm thinking that a 15 day cruise in a suite would earn us 30 days credit.

Do you have to be an existing Circle member to get the double suite credit? Or can first time cruisers also get it?

I'm still confused. Do they count days, or credits? We're considering a RT LA to Hawaii in a suite. Is that two credits? I'm thinking that a 15 day cruise in a suite would earn us 30 days credit.

Do you have to be an existing Circle member to get the double suite credit? Or can first time cruisers also get it?

There are two different ways to earn your platinum or elite status.

First would be number of cruises. 5 for Platinum, 15 for Elite. You get double credit for number of cruises if you are in a suite (triple if you are a single in a suite)

You can also earn your status by number of days cruised on Princess. 50 Days for Platinum and 150 for Elite. My understanding is that being in a suite does NOT count as double the days of the cruise.

So being in a suite only counts double toward Platinum or Elite for the Number of Cruises taken, not the number of days cruised.

Now, that should be as clear as mud just like all of the rules that Princess has.

So being in a suite only counts double toward Platinum or Elite for the Number of Cruises taken, not the number of days cruised.

So, taking a 49 day cruise in a suite will not get a first time cruiser up to Platinum. They'd still need one more cruise to get the 50 days required. Unless they can do a b2b with a 49 day, then 1 day, assuming Princess offeres that combination.

So, taking a 49 day cruise in a suite will not get a first time cruiser up to Platinum. They'd still need one more cruise to get the 50 days required. Unless they can do a b2b with a 49 day, then 1 day, assuming Princess offeres that combination.

You are correct..

That's correct. Must sail 50 days and then your next cruise you would be platinum. But they would have 2 credits (or 3 if sailing solo) toward number of cruises taken for platinum status.

It might get them to platinum in a hurry, but unless they take the 100 day cruise, it they'd be behind in cruise count to reach Elite.

I guess technically, they'd be able to reach Elite in two cruises: 49 day + 107? Assuming there is not a rule about being Platinum before they're elite.

This is really off topic. Do we get double credit for Window Suites? I think the article I found at Princess.com didn't mention WS, just Mini-suites.

This is really off topic. Do we get double credit for Window Suites? I think the article I found at Princess.com didn't mention WS, just Mini-suites.

Yes, WS get double credit (or triple if solo) as they are considered full suites, unlike mini-suites.

Archived