Oasis vs. Epic: Which Will You Choose?

Which ship will you sail: Oasis or Epic?  

770 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship will you sail: Oasis or Epic?

• Norwegian Epic because it's cheaper
    • Norwegian Epic because I like Freestyle Cruising
    • Oasis of the Seas because it's the biggest
    • Oasis of the Seas because of its radical ship design
    • Either ship, as they both offer new innovations
    • Neither, they're both too expensive
    • I prefer smaller ships
    • I book based on the itinerary, not the ship
    • Something else, which I'll post below

I did not really want to cruise on such big ship, but the family wanted it, so I did. It was fabulous! The comments about ease of getting on and off were correct. It was easier and faster than any of the smaller NCL and RCCL ships I have been on.

The Windjammer was crowded for breakfast, but it's crowded on the smaller ships too, and after the first morning, we had breakfast in 4 different places that were uncrowded and just fine.

Making show reservations in advance was strange, but it worked out. You don't have to go if you change your mind and there are usually seats available if you decide to go at the last minute.

Deck chairs were more available than on any of the smaller ships,

We like NCL's dining freedom, but with our group of 8, it was nice to dine together at the same time every night.

You can dine when you want, if you wish, but I did see a line for that. I don't know how fast it moved.

I did not bring formal wear for the formal dinners, but I did wear a jacket (until I sat down).

The touch-screens that tell you what's going on and how to get there were very useful and great.

We had a balcony overlooking Central Park. No noise, no problems. I can see where those overlooking the Boardwalk might be noisier, but I don't know, not having been in any of them.

The beds were extremely comfortable, as on all of the other ships we have sailed on.

I am cruising the Epic in April 2011 and cannot wait for many reasons. Mostly because of the NCL's Freestyle concept and all of the entertainment/dining options. Also, the Western Caribbean itinerary is nice and the studio stateroom without the single surcharge is fantastic. Although, I'm sailing solo this voyage, I like the balcony rooms and bathroom setup. Many upscale homes in the New England area have a separate alcove for the toilet and it's common in Europe. For those who think it's less hygienic to have the toilet separate from the sink, have never researched what happens to your toothbrush on the counter top if you flush the toilet without putting the lid down first. It's also a good practice to wipe down your door handles (and remote control) with disinfectant routinely anyway. :)

I just have to add one more thing here. I don't understand how people can say they don't like large ships when they have never been on one.

It all very simple, really. It's just a matter of knowing yourself well enough to understand what you will like or not. I can honestly say that even though I have never experienced this, I know that I would not like to fall into a cesspool. I know that I would not like to be bitten by a crocodile. I know that I would not like to go on a plane and have it crash. I know that I would not like to be robbed. Conversly, I think I know myself well enough to know that I would like to win the lottery, even though I have never done so. I know I would like to stay in the Presidential Suite of any five star hotel, even though I have never had the opportunity. I know that I would like to attend my grandaughter's wedding, even though she is still only eleven. I know that I would like to own a private yacht and spend the rest of my live sailing the popular vacation spots of the world.

I hope you get the point - some of us are self aware enough to know what we will or won't like without having to try it first. For me, that means not liking mega sized ships.

When RCI had their naming contest and were soliciting names for what is now the Oasis, my wife submitted the name "Blight of the Seas." And that about sums up our feelings about these floating resorts. They are indeed floating resorts which are fine for those who want a resort. But, for many of us who truly enjoy ships, there is no way we want to be stuck on a monster with over 6000 people where the ship has been carefully designed to encourage passengers to help the cruise line "maximize on-board revenue." Another problem with these monsters is that they have very limited itineraries because most ports cannot handle their size and passenger volume. We recently retured from a 42 day cruise on a ship that held less than 800 passengers. During that cruise we seldom heard any complaints (folks fight to get on the old Prinsendam). It was nice to cruise into ports that cannot handle larger ships and dock right downtown. On the ship we seldom had a line for anything.

Hank

I just have to add one more thing here. I don't understand how people can say they don't like large ships when they have never been on one. I have never been on a ship smaller than RC Voyager class, so you won't hear me say I don't like the smaller ships. I also hear people saying you don't have a connection to the ocean on the big ships. I don't agree. I had a huge aft balcony on the Freedom last September and spent hours and hours on that balcony reading and listening to the waves.

Having sailed on ships carrying from 600 to 3,400 passengers - and most sizes in between - I know that I regularly prefer the smaller ones - so it is safe to say that I would not like even larger ones. Finally (and this is a minor aesthetic point, but aesthetics are important), the larger ships get, the uglier they look. Yes, that is only my view -- but then I am more inclined to pay attention to my view than someone elses.

Again - I do not like larger ships - and I do not need to sail on Oasis or Epic to justify that dislike.

But, for many of us who truly enjoy ships, there is no way we want to be stuck on a monster with over 6000 people where the ship has been carefully designed to encourage passengers to help the cruise line "maximize on-board revenue." Another problem with these monsters is that they have very limited itineraries because most ports cannot handle their size and passenger volume.

Just a question....isn't it a contradiction for people who "don't like ships" to sail on a ship that only has 3 ports stops? I thought Oasis cruises are all about the ship.

Speaking for myself only, I have committed 14 years of my life to a sea going service, so I'm all about the sea and ships. Being a ship lover, the Oasis intrigues me and I can't wait until October to sail her.

• 2 weeks later...

These are some very interesting points on both sides regarding ship size.

The more I read people's responses the more I'm convinced that there's room for everyone in the cruising world.

I'd just be curious about the age of those who said they prefer smaller ships. How many are over the age of 50 and how many are under?

Just a question....isn't it a contradiction for people who "don't like ships" to sail on a ship that only has 3 ports stops? I thought Oasis cruises are all about the ship.

Speaking for myself only, I have committed 14 years of my life to a sea going service, so I'm all about the sea and ships. Being a ship lover, the Oasis intrigues me and I can't wait until October to sail her.

We have actually been on cruise ships that held fewer passengers then a single LIFEBOAT on the OAS! I will admit to being intrigued by the design of the mega-ships. But, the first time we went on a Voyager Class ship and saw how they turned the atrium (more like a 2 block shopping mall) into a mass of tables selling all kinds of tacky T-shirts, inches of Gold, etc. we felt like we were on the boardwalk of Atlantic City as opposed to a cruise ship. We prefer ships where we can actually see the ocean from much of the ship. In the case of RCI our favorite ships are the Radiance Class. One privilege of being a retired senior is the ability to seperate ourselves from masses of screaming children and roaming teens that are found on certain ships. The thought of being in St Thomas or St Maarten with 20,000 other cruise ship passengers is enough to send me to Elbe. The secret is taking longer cruises to very interesting places during the school year. We certainly can see ourselves taking grandchildren on the Oasis, but otherwise it will be a class of ships to be avoided.

Hank

Ok I have sailed the maiden voyage of the Epic July 10th out of Miami with a friend and if I had to do it again, I would only cruise in a studio cabin. Yes by myself ! I hated the design of the rooms and there is NO privacy at all. I think I would even book a studio for myself and one for my husband too, if he were to come. Trust me if you are going on the Epic, you will see what I mean when you walk into your room ! :eek:

These are some very interesting points on both sides regarding ship size.

The more I read people's responses the more I'm convinced that there's room for everyone in the cruising world.

I'd just be curious about the age of those who said they prefer smaller ships. How many are over the age of 50 and how many are under?

Hi Luckytoo....As much as I hate to admit it my DH and I are over 50 and yes we do love the mega ships and prefer new to older. We love ships that are over 90,000GTs. We've always been able to see as much ocean as we want on these ships and yes, there is a lot of extra marketing going on but all in all it's the variety in all aspects of the ship that appeals to us. We are booked on the EPIC for October in a small suite. The bathroom looks like it's in an alcove behind the bed but no doors that I can see. I guess it will have the curtain concept but at least the shower, tub and sink are all together if the pictures are accurate. Time will tell ya'll........:cool:

Unless the price of the Oasis comes down, I won't be sailing on it. However, I am booked for the Allure (newer and less money believe or not) and am looking to book the Epic for 2012. So I guess you could say we are sailing both classes on RCL and NCL.

The biggest drawback for me aside from price is the fact that Oasis and Allure have very limited itineraries. We cruise for the itinerary. If it came down to a choice of one ship over another based on itinerary, I would choose the Epic. RCL's only choice is the Caribbean. The Epic alternates between the Caribbean and the Meditteranean.

Even with that said, I'm sure once will be enough with either of these ships.

Unless the price of the Oasis comes down, I won't be sailing on it. However, I am booked for the Allure (newer and less money believe or not) and am looking to book the Epic for 2012. So I guess you could say we are sailing both classes on RCL and NCL.

The biggest drawback for me aside from price is the fact that Oasis and Allure have very limited itineraries. We cruise for the itinerary. If it came down to a choice of one ship over another based on itinerary, I would choose the Epic. RCL's only choice is the Caribbean. The Epic alternates between the Caribbean and the Meditteranean.

Even with that said, I'm sure once will be enough with either of these ships.

I think the Oasis/Allure are more destinations in and of themselves than the ports they visit. We booked the Allure for the ship. I supposed the tie-breaker with the Oasis was that the Allure is doing the Eastern Caribbean on the good week for us and it has Chicago. I wouldn't book the Epic based on poor reviews. I also don't understand why the ship makes that much of a difference in the Med where most of your time and energy (and money) should be directed to ports of call. The Epic (or even Oasis) would only be a distraction in the Med and I wonder how many ports they could even dock at.

I think the Oasis/Allure are more destinations in and of themselves than the ports they visit. We booked the Allure for the ship. I supposed the tie-breaker with the Oasis was that the Allure is doing the Eastern Caribbean on the good week for us and it has Chicago. I wouldn't book the Epic based on poor reviews. I also don't understand why the ship makes that much of a difference in the Med where most of your time and energy (and money) should be directed to ports of call. The Epic (or even Oasis) would only be a distraction in the Med and I wonder how many ports they could even dock at.

I agree that the Oasis and Allure tend to be "the destination". However, I find the more time I spend on the ship, the more money I spend. An easy fix to this is to book port intensive itineraries.

What is important or bothersome to others may be minute for me. This is why I don't book ships based on anyone else's reviews. I like innovation and I like new things, and am willing to try them all at least once. Hell, I'm booked on the Dream and it had terrible reviews.

As far as itineraries go, we are booked on a 12-night Med cruise with NCL and wish it were the Epic because it has 5 sea days. This would be the perfect time to relax and explore the ship. With regard to docking, I would imagine that the Epic would dock at all the ports that it visits in the Med. Like the Oasis class, it would not be time efficient or cost effective to tender.

Hi Luckytoo....As much as I hate to admit it my DH and I are over 50 and yes we do love the mega ships and prefer new to older. We love ships that are over 90,000GTs. :cool:

It's funny but with all the mega-ships out there when I read 90,000 gross tonnage I think "small" LOL

I have to admit that I LOVE the S-Class Celebrity ships but the Mrs. talked me into doing an "older" (2000 build) M-Class ship.

I just can't get excited about the Oasis/Allure/Epic :(

I also don't understand why the ship makes that much of a difference in the Med where most of your time and energy (and money) should be directed to ports of call.

Even on a port intensive cruise, you are still on the ship every day starting at late afternoon to the next morning. You're still eating in the dining rooms every night and going to the shows, lounges, events, etc. Plus, there are almost always sea days where the entire day is spent on the ship. Even when itinerary is the focus, a great ship just adds to it.

It's funny but with all the mega-ships out there when I read 90,000 gross tonnage I think "small" LOL

I have to admit that I LOVE the S-Class Celebrity ships but the Mrs. talked me into doing an "older" (2000 build) M-Class ship.

I just can't get excited about the Oasis/Allure/Epic :(

LT, you really are missing a unique experience on the Oasis. True, she is large and there is your usual sell, sell, sell but it's worth the experience. Her architecture is a marvel. She really can't go to any exciting ports because of her size. Same old Eastern and Western Caribbean but you travel on her for the ship amenities and not just the ports. The standard balcony cabins are a bit on the small side but who stays in their cabins that much. Prices have come down since we sailed on her last year. We did not encounter large crowds even when we disembarked at each port. Getting back on was a breeze. To avoid the crowds at breakfast and lunch at the buffet we ate in the dining room or the other free venues on the ship. We loved this ship so much we are sailing on her sister the Allure for her inaugural in December. We'll let everyone know what we think of the EPIC since we sail on her October 9. Try the Megaships at least once and I think you'll be hooked.......:D:cool:

Ack, the Epic will be sailing in the Med? I sure hope I am not in port with them in places like Santorini where everyone has to use the cable car to get from the landing area to the town on the cliff above.....:eek:

For the poster who asked -- I am younger than 50, and I prefer the smaller ships. Perhaps because I started cruising very young on ships that were around 25,000 tons.... I think I understand what Hlitner means: I like a ship that actually seems like a ship, not a floating hotel/resort. I find it telling how many of the new, larger ships make it hard to even see the ocean passing by when you are inside.

I will be looking forward to my voyage on the 11,000 ton Aegean Odyssey this fall. :)

LT, you really are missing a unique experience on the Oasis. True, she is large and there is your usual sell, sell, sell but it's worth the experience. Her architecture is a marvel. She really can't go to any exciting ports because of her size. Same old Eastern and Western Caribbean but you travel on her for the ship amenities and not just the ports. The standard balcony cabins are a bit on the small side but who stays in their cabins that much. Prices have come down since we sailed on her last year. We did not encounter large crowds even when we disembarked at each port. Getting back on was a breeze. To avoid the crowds at breakfast and lunch at the buffet we ate in the dining room or the other free venues on the ship. We loved this ship so much we are sailing on her sister the Allure for her inaugural in December. We'll let everyone know what we think of the EPIC since we sail on her October 9. Try the Megaships at least once and I think you'll be hooked.......:D:cool:

I hope you have a great time on your inaugural on the Allure. I did an inaugural on the Epic TA and I'll never do another inaugural cruise again.

I've noticed that the Oasis prices have been falling but still not to where I'm willing to give up my balcony on =X=....but the Mrs. is keeping up the pressure. :rolleyes:

I hope you have a great time on your inaugural on the Allure. I did an inaugural on the Epic TA and I'll never do another inaugural cruise again.

I've noticed that the Oasis prices have been falling but still not to where I'm willing to give up my balcony on =X=....but the Mrs. is keeping up the pressure. :rolleyes:

Sorry LT that you had a bad experience on the EPIC Inaugural. I had read the good, bad and the ugly about EPIC but my DH and I are still willing to give it a shot. Hoping that they've worked out all the bugs by now. We were on the OASIS Inaugural and enjoyed it very much. She too had some bugs to work out but we tried not to focus to much on the bad aspects. She is a marvel in so many ways. Perhaps your DW will work on you a little more and who knows, maybe you'll change your mind before the end of next year.......Happy sailing:cool::)

My Aunt, who is a TA, was dead set against Oasis. She said it was way too big with too many people. We tried it and her opinion did a 180. It was the most amazing cruise either of us had been on.....and it was like her 40th cruise.

I would be interested in trying Epic also, but is it true you can see through the bathroom door and see the person on the toilet?

My Aunt, who is a TA, was dead set against Oasis. She said it was way too big with too many people. We tried it and her opinion did a 180. It was the most amazing cruise either of us had been on.....and it was like her 40th cruise.

I would be interested in trying Epic also, but is it true you can see through the bathroom door and see the person on the toilet?

Glad you enjoyed the Oasis. She is a engineering marvel and quite unique.

From some of the limited blogs about EPIC, you either love or hate the toilet room. The doors are supposely opaque and they appear on the shower as well. There is a curtain you surround the shower area with but not really sure if that works or not. There aren't too many Aug reviews for EPIC as yet. We are on the 10/09 cruise and we'll report back our findings.:);)

I'm happy that you love the mega ships. I mean that sincerely. But nothing you've mentioned, except the physical structure which I'm sure is fascinating, makes Oasis/Allure even remotely appealing for me.

We care which ports we visit and don't consider the ship to be our destination. I know that there's an assumption that no one spends any time in their cabin, but that's not the case. We spend a fair amount of time in our cabin and on our balcony; partly because we have to schedule down time and partly because we like relaxing on our own balcony. We certainly enjoy having a variety of onboard options, but don't care about most of the "theme park attractions" on Oasis. I suspect the atmosphere of "sell stuff to passengers" is stronger, which I'd rather avoid.

Honestly, we realize that Oasis and Allure are different from any other ship, but we don't feel that we're missing out by not cruising on them. They aren't our style. We prefer the mid-size (70,000 to 100,000--which is not "small" by any means) or even smaller ships. Radiance is our favorite RCI class, with Voyager being a close second. I have to admit that we like the Voyager class more than we thought we would, but we have no interest in anything larger than that. I am positive beyond any doubt that we would not be hooked on mega ships if we tried one. OTOH, we wouldn't say no to a free cruise in a suite (or even a JS) on Oasis if it was offered to us--We'd have to be crazy to turn that down.;)

Have wonderful adventures on Oasis and Allure and make fabulous memories to treasure!:)

beachchick

• 1 month later...

Hi there

I was also on the inaugural voyage of the Oasis. Big ship, yes - but I'll tell you that it didn't take long to find my way around. It never felt "big" - it is sensibly laid out. Decks on the Epic are "destinations" - if you don't want to go to what's on a certain deck, you don't have to stop. Ever notice how most ships make you walk through a smokey casino to get to a popular spot? Not so on the Epic - you have to actually search for the Casino!!

I never once felt like it was too big. I loved the different entertainment options. I liked that they weren't always looking for passengers to spend extra money. Okay, so I paid top price going on the inaugural JUST to say I did - but I kind of wish I had waited a week or two and paid a lot less. The Oasis is a fantastically well-thought- out, well-laid-out ship! RCCL got it right.

And that being said, I'm booked on the Epic for January 8, 2011. I'm in a Studio cabin - going by myself. I've read some of the reviews and I'm a little concerned because they weren't glowing. Part of cruising is about the people - so I'm hoping to meet some awesome people on the cruise.

Don't fear the Oasis - what's not to love huh?

Sandie aka Ivanna Cruz (because I always do!)

we are from the been there ,done that, as far as the caribbean is concerned. unfortunately because of mobility issues our cruises are now strictly leaving from florida so no flying involved.have taken more than 50 cruises on various lines. had the best cruise ever on the Oasis last dec 1 and am looking forward to our Epic sailing this december. i will attempt not the compare them altho i know i will.simply want to enjoy each cruise because i can. whenever there is a new ship i want and plan plan to be on it,unless it is in the ultra luxury price range.

Archived