Dining Room - Updates Needed

I know there are updates need to this info. Any suggestions / updates are appreciated.

DINING ROOM AND OTHER DINING OPTIONS

· Formal nights vary with length of cruise. For cruises with one formal night, the formal night is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise, with schedules permitting. For cruises with two formal nights, the first formal night is scheduled for the second or third evening of the cruise; the second formal night is scheduled for the second or third evening prior to the end of the cruise, with schedules permitting. There are no formal nights on a one night cruise. Two to five night cruises have one formal night. Two formal nights are offered for all cruises longer then 5 nights.

· The Captains Welcome Aboard party is always held the first formal night. Anything from a dress or nice pantsuit for women and suit/tux or khakis and sport coat for men. All other nights you are asked not to wear shorts, T‑shirts, or swimsuits. Suggest Khakis and polo shirt for men.

· All the ships have 2 dining rooms with the exception of the Spirit Class. Main seating is held at 6:00. This time is good for kids, as the Camp closes down during this time and reopens around 9 every night.

· Late seating is held at 8:15, if you like to eat late then this is where to be.

· Carnival is starting to integrate “anytime dining”. The program called Your Time Open Seating Dining. No reservations required. Dine in the main dining room anytime between 5:45 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Guests are usually seated within 20 minutes on a first-come, first-serve basis, depending on party size. Parties of 10 or more may need to be accommodated at different tables. The bottom level of both dining rooms is used for assigned seating and the upper level for those that wish to have flexibility in their dining time. Currently Liberty, Legend, Sensation, Paradise, Miracle, Elation, Conquest, Pride, Fantasy, Imagination, Inspiration, Dream, and Spirit offer Your Time Dining. Coming soon: Ecstasy 10/13.

· If you select assigned seating you will have that assignment for the entire cruise.

· If you have cruised with Carnival 10 plus times then your dining time will be confirmed prior to sailing.

· If you do not get the dining time, you requested there will be a set aside time to speak to the Maitre'd about switching. See the Caper.

· Just a suggestion if cruising with children you may want to choose the early dining as the camp closes down during this time. By eating early this allows the children to enjoy some time at the camp prior to after-hour activities which begin at 10 and the cruise line charges a fee for after-hour activities.

· If you would like a cake delivered to your table or stateroom for a special occasion, you can order it beforehand on Carnivals website or you can check with your waiter or purchase through the specialty shop. The cost is $7.95 for a 6 inch and $9.95 for a 9 inch. They are delicious, with chocolate mousse or strawberry filling. A six inch will feed about 6 to 8 people, while the 9 inch will serve 10 to 12, depending on how big you cut the slices.

· Be prepared to join in and have fun at dinner. The wait staff likes to put on a show. Bring your camera to take pictures of the show and your fellow tablemates. You know it is show time when the lights dim.

· The menu for the night is posted outside the dining room earlier in the day and can be viewed on your stateroom TV.

· You can order more than one item per course.

· You can use the soda card in the dining room.

· There is a bar maid in the dining room for drink orders. Wine is usually ordered through the waiter. A good bar maid will remember your order and ask if you would like the same. Be sure to give him/her a little something at the end of the cruise for good service.

· Tea, coffee, milk and lemonade are free at dinner.

· If you don’t see anything you like on the menu ask the waiter what alternatives are available.

· Any pasta dish on the main entrée section of the menu is also available as an appetizer. It’s a great way to try something new – without gorging on pasta.

· If you don’t want to dine in the dining room you can go for the more casual dining on the Lido deck. All the ships offer buffets (some more then others), a grill, and 24-hour pizzeria offering seven kinds of pies, calzone, Caesar salad (with or without chicken) and garlic bread. Soft serve ice cream and yogurt are open all the time. Other ships have specialty areas such as Chinese Wok, Deli and Fish & Chips. Some ships even have a reservation only supper club (for a nominal fee). Room Service is also available and offers sandwiches, cookies, brownies (the best). See Room Service section below.

· Guests with diet requirements can be accommodated onboard. They can only offer assistance with simple requests such as the method of preparation of menu items. The special diet requirements need to be arranged with the guest's Headwaiter on the first night of the cruise. In extreme cases, such as allergies, it may be a good idea to contact Carnivals Special Services before you sail.

· Every menu (in the dining room) has Spa Carnival Cuisine Fare. These items are lower in calories, sodium, cholesterol and fat. Salads are prepared with diet dressing. Desserts are prepared with Sweet 'N Low or NutraSweet instead of sugar. In addition, each menu has one vegetarian entree. Low-cholesterol egg substitute is available upon request as well as diet jellies at breakfast.

· The following simple diets can be prepared onboard:

• vegetarian
  • salt-free
  • bland
  • low sugar

· The following food is not available onboard:

• Kosher meals
  • Baby Food and Formula

· A children's menu is available but children can order off the regular menu (or both). It includes, but is not limited to –

• Fresh Fruit Cocktail
  • Peanut Butter Jelly Sandwich
  • Hamburger – Cheeseburger
  • Chicken Nuggets
  • Hot Dog
  • Pepperoni Pizza - Cheese Pizza
  • French Fries

• Various desserts

· Make your reservations for the Supper Club as soon as you get on the ship. If you don’t want to miss the activities in the dining room then don’t go on formal nights. You can also reserve a table online – (http://surv.cheetahmail.com/s?aid=982238741&o=1&n=28) before you even leave home. Give a few days for the confirmation.

ROOM SERVICE

· Bring some one-dollar bills (or dollar coins) for tipping room service. This is the only service that is not included in the automatic tipping put on your S&S. Tip depending on what you order. Anywhere from $2.00 to $4.00 dollars should be fine.

· The typical room service menu includes:

Juices: Orange, tomato, apple, grapefruit

Breads: (served w/butter; jelly on request) Toast-white, whole wheat or rye ~ Assorted Danish and croissants ~ Toasted bagel and cream cheese

Sandwiches: Turkey ~ Ham & cheese ~ Cheese-choice of American, Swiss or Cheddar ~ Bacon, lettuce & tomato ~ Peanut butter & jelly

(Note: Above sandwiches are served plain or toasted w/choice of: white, whole

wheat or rye bread ~ potato salad, coleslaw, potato chips or pretzels.)

Roast beef and brie sandwich in baguette ~ Open faced shrimp salad sandwich

on French roll ~ Vegetarian-tomato, cucumber, lettuce, & cream cheese on

seven-grain roll ~ Tuna salad on toasted English muffin

Salads and Desserts: Tossed garden salad-mixed greens garnished w/tomato, cucumber, radish, and red onion. Choice of Ranch, Thousand Island, Bleu Cheese & fat-free Honey Mustard ~ Caesar salad ~ Crudites of Vegetables w/bleu cheese dip ~ Fresh fruit salad ~ Whole fresh fruits ~ Assorted cookies and brownies ~ Featured dessert of the day ~ Strawberry yogurt

Beverages: Regular coffee ~ Decaf coffee ~ Hot tea ~ Iced tea ~ Hot chocolate ~ Milk ~ Skim milk ~ Chocolate milk

· If you like chocolate milk order extra earlier in the week (or collect from the buffet) and put it in your refrigerator or on ice. Towards the end of the cruise they tend to run low on it.

· You can order room serve for breakfast the night before. There are breakfast cards in the cabin. Before sure to order milk for your cereal – as they don’t bring it automatically. Do not assume anything; order it if you need it. Be sure to hang the card on your door before the stated time. Have the tip ready in the morning so when they knock you can take the tray and hand them their tip.

· Ask your steward what to do with the tray when you are done. Some have said they are told to leave it in the cabins – others to place it in the hall for pick-up. If you forget to ask the steward, then ask the person who delivers the food. Others have said they just call room service back to pick it up. If you do that please be sure to give them a little something for the trip.

I saw so many things that need to be changed, not sure I can hit them all. Captain's Night has been replaced by the Farewell party, usually 5 pm the last sea day. Captain's Night is no biggie, $1 off drinks specials. No party in a lounge, just out in the open, or certain designated bars for the $1 off.

Again, as before capers has been replaced with the fun times.

Formal night has been called elegant night for quite a while now.

I also think the term bar "maid" questionable, since many are male..might find a better term?

I would add about ordering jelly, though you did say dont assume. If you want strawberries on your waffle, you need to ask for them. If you want jelly for your toast, order it. I had to order jelly each time or they bring you dry toast.

Amazing how people have to over plan.

I'm not sure this is over planning as many 1st time Cruisers like to read about and learn what to expect. And as things do vary a little from ship to ship some of us veteran travelers are happy to find new info. Come on folks she's just trying to put some useful info together....:)

Amazing how people have to over plan.

I agree. I prefer to go with the flow. I eat when I'm hungry, I drink when I'm thirsty, I sleep when I'm tired etc. Heck, I don't even want to wear a watch when I'm on vacation! :)

To each their own I guess!

• 2 weeks later...
Also, my first Carnival cruise is coming up in Oct. but I've sailed RCCL many times before and I'm pretty sure that gratuity was always added to the room service bill. Does Carnival not do this?

Carnival doesn't give you a room service bill so no charge on it.

They just bring your food and/or drink.

Archived