Can you move a chair hog's stuff?

Sam75

I have been on one cruise and was irritated by the chair hogs at pool side. My fiance and I are going to be on the Solstice in August. It is her first cruise and I keep reading about how big a problem this is.

What happens if you see that a chair is being "held" for some time, say 30 minutes or more, and you just go and put their stuff aside and take the chair? I know that there are shipboard rules against holding chairs, but they seem to unenforced.

Would I be violating some huge Code of the West if I did this?

I apologize for my ignorance.

Absolutely no need to apologize.

Contact one of the pool butlers and let them handle it. There are supposedly procedures that they must follow; will believe it when I see it though....:eek:

Cheryl

PS: Welcome to Cruise Critic. Enjoy your stay....

I've never moved stuff but honestly, we were on the Equinox in February and there was never a single time we couldn't find a chair to sit.

No they weren't always by the pool but really?? As long as you have somewhere to lay your stuff and relax who cares?

Half an hour isn't long... if you have some time in the pool then get up, use the bathroom and head to the hot tub. You will be longer then 30 minutes.

I for one wouldn't be happy if I was on my way back to my chair after 45 minutes of pool time to find you relaxin in my seat.

Honestly, we have done 7 cruises and have not dealt with this a lot, especially if your able to be a bit flexible.

Its VACATION!! just relax, go with an open mind and you will have the trip of a lifetime.

Oh and, if people don't want to read your thread about chair hogs then they go to another title to read... it is a public board and you can ask any questions you want.

If the subject bugs you Bob, perhaps not reading the thread is a better way to deal with it.

Ask away, and ignore those who tell you otherwise!

OK, but I am asking if I just take it on myself to move the things, what happens? Has no one ever done this?

Yes you certainly can move belongings. That's why people leave "junk", and not valuable items. They know it could be missing when they return. ;)

We allow for one hour of unattended chair time. If after that time, (which is plenty to run back to your room,do walking laps, have a lunch, use the washrooms etc.) my dh has been known to get new towels and remove the saved items and put them on the deck next to the chair he is now occupying. One time someone came back, just picked up their stuff and left without a word. Another time he was questioned why he was in "MY chair" and when he saw the guy was getting miffed, my dh just got up and left. It wasn't a big deal to him. You can always take the personal items to a pool guy and send the phantom sunners over to get their stuff.

You will be the one who decides how much of a "discussion" is worth it.

There are many chairs that can be moved anywhere. We ususally find places on the second floor without much trouble. So have only actually HAD to be "aggresive" enough to make the moves.;)

If personal items such as a book, magazine, etc., sunglasses, coverup, are present, then I would not move them. However, if it's just a towel. I would (and have done it).

Very good point, as too many people leave their towels just laying on their chairs even when finished at the pool for thday. Sure you'd like the stewards to take them for you. But if people are looking for an open chair, they won't know it is indeed is vacant. So just be considerate and return them to the cart, so the chair appears open for the next cruiser.

Here's the link to what is the most up-to-date hog thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1232473

The gist is that Celebrity is (finally) enforcing something in the nature of time limits, at least on Eclipse, although a hogger's belongings won't get removed for two hours.

Part of that thread dealt with the possibility of confrontation and escalation to violence over removing someone's belongings. While the possibility is remote, it does exist, and in my opinion is a good reason to just let Celebrity handle it, literally. The way I see it, they have the right, as specified in the part of the cruise contract that states they have the power to enforce their rules, to handle a passenger's personal property without their direct permission. It's not right for other passengers to be handling someone else's property, regardless of the value.

If it's a ship's towel, I'd either move it or use it myself, but not until thirty minutes had elapsed. More likely, I'd just find something else to do, rather than stand around with a stopwatch. I could play games, move the hogger's things off the chair, then feign ignorance (not that difficult for me), but to me a chair's just not worth the hassle.

I've never moved stuff but honestly, we were on the Equinox in February and there was never a single time we couldn't find a chair to sit. ..<snip>....!

With all apologies, but the OP's school break summer cruise is likely to be maxed out with 3000+ passengers. I wasn't there so I can't speak with certainty for your early February cruise, but demographic trends suggest it likely didn't have all the 3rd & 4th passengers in cabins that the OP will encounter.

We just returned from a beginning of summer school break on Solstice, and chairs on the same deck as the pools during sea days generally took quite a bit of patience and a lot of searching to acquire.

Back on topic:

Add me to the chorus of people advisiing the OP to ask a pool butler to move the stuff. Amongst several other things, I get paid to deal with conflicts at work.

I see no need to seek out "pro bono" opportunities during my vacation.

It's so easy to ask the folks sitting near the "hogged" chairs if someone is actually sitting there...they will tell you!

however, there's more room and less noise one deck up from the pool...that's were we head!

Wow, I never realized people "saved" chairs. I had always assumed when I saw belongings left on chairs that they were simply unwanted items people had left behind and were too lazy to throw out. On my cruises I have always collected t-shirts, flip-flops, books, sunglasses etc. off of lounge chairs that nobody had occupied for an hour or more, and then donated them at schools at the ports of calls. :cool:

wow, i never realized people "saved" chairs. I had always assumed when i saw belongings left on chairs that they were simply unwanted items people had left behind and were too lazy to throw out. On my cruises i have always collected t-shirts, flip-flops, books, sunglasses etc. Off of lounge chairs that nobody had occupied for an hour or more, and then donated them at schools at the ports of calls. :cool:

:d love it!:d

Here's the link to what is the most up-to-date hog thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1232473

The gist is that Celebrity is (finally) enforcing something in the nature of time limits, at least on Eclipse, although a hogger's belongings won't get removed for two hours.

I'll tell everyone now, I won't wait two hours for someone to return to their empty chair. Nope...not me. :eek:

I sometimes move the things and sit. I figure if they come back and want the chair, I will give it back - don't really like confrontation. Once, someone did come back, I offered the chair, and they said it was no problem, they would just move to another chair. All other times, no one came back during the time I sat there.

So, does moving someone's belongings make me more inconsiderate than the person who left the things to begin with? I think not!

I am not a chair hog and I think that the staff should move there belongings according to their policy. However, if I witnessed someone touching and moving my personal stuff I would probably get into a physical altercation with that individual. I would take it very personal that my stuff was being touched. I would really think twice about doing this yourself and just have the staff do it.. it would result in a much easier process.

I'm sorry, but I'm a more than a bit concerned that your first course of action would likely be a physical altercation. I find that strategy to be at the very least an overreaction and at worst, dangerous. Might I ask what then would be your response if something more serious than touching your personal belongings were to occur...?

I am not a chair hog and I think that the staff should move there belongings according to their policy. However, if I witnessed someone touching and moving my personal stuff I would probably get into a physical altercation with that individual. I would take it very personal that my stuff was being touched. I would really think twice about doing this yourself and just have the staff do it.. it would result in a much easier process.

Wow, you would do something that would cause you to be kicked off the ship mid-cruise over somebody removing your items from a pool chair? :confused::eek:

So, does moving someone's belongings make me more inconsiderate than the person who left the things to begin with? I think not!

Whether sco0437 is justified in "physical altercation" or not, this is why I say it's not proper to touch someone else's belongings, regardless of the value. He (or she, not fair to automatically assume sco's a guy!) feels s/he's been wronged, and on some small level, so may many others who choose not to make an issue of it. It does not make one more inconsiderate than a chair hog, but still in the wrong. I'm waiting for the day we hear about a fight breaking out because someone moved a chair hog's things, with the result of both passengers being booted off the ship for disruptive behavior.

The cruise line has the right to handle a passenger's property, since it's on their ship and it's their stated policy, no one else. The issue should be between the passengers and Celebrity, not between each other. If you don't like how Celebrity is enforcing its policy, your beef is with them.

Whether sco0437 is justified in "physical altercation" or not, this is why I say it's not proper to touch someone else's belongings, regardless of the value. He (or she, not fair to automatically assume sco's a guy!) feels s/he's been wronged, and on some small level, so may many others who choose not to make an issue of it. It does not make one more inconsiderate than a chair hog, but still in the wrong. I'm waiting for the day we hear about a fight breaking out because someone moved a chair hog's things, with the result of both passengers being booted off the ship for disruptive behavior.

The cruise line has the right to handle a passenger's property, since it's on their ship and it's their stated policy, no one else. The issue should be between the passengers and Celebrity, not between each other. If you don't like how Celebrity is enforcing its policy, your beef is with them.

Well stated. :cool:

Well stated PartyAllDaTyme....

The point of my post was just to let Celebrity take care of it because you don't know whose stuff you are messing with. I tend to take things personally and would consider it an attack against me-- even though it wasn't meant to be that way. Call it overreacting or whatever you like but some people are just that way.

For example, here in Florida, recently a guy in a truck was stopped at a stop sign.. the light turned green and he didn't move.. the person behind him honked to get him to move. The guy in the truck got out with a shotgun and started shooting at the other guy... all over a stoplight..

Just let Celebrity do their job so all of us can have a great cruise!

Cheers!

For example, here in Florida, recently a guy in a truck was stopped at a stop sign.. the light turned green and he didn't move.. the person behind him honked to get him to move. The guy in the truck got out with a shotgun and started shooting at the other guy... all over a stoplight..

I don't think you'd ever get a shotgun past cruise security.:)

*Edited to add little smiley face.

Archived