Can you move a chair hog's stuff?

Sam75

And yet the whole problem would be solved if people simply followed the Cruise Line's policies. Unfortunately the employees of most of the cruise lines don't have time to police chairs and time them. Personally I don't want the cost of my cruise going up just because there are so many selfish people in the world. If everyone stood up and spoke up a little more often instead of being sheep then problems like this wouldn't exist. Unfortunately we have a generation of people that think they're entitled teaching those values to their children. It's only going to get worse.

Whether sco0437 is justified in "physical altercation" or not, this is why I say it's not proper to touch someone else's belongings, regardless of the value. He (or she, not fair to automatically assume sco's a guy!) feels s/he's been wronged, and on some small level, so may many others who choose not to make an issue of it. It does not make one more inconsiderate than a chair hog, but still in the wrong. I'm waiting for the day we hear about a fight breaking out because someone moved a chair hog's things, with the result of both passengers being booted off the ship for disruptive behavior.

The cruise line has the right to handle a passenger's property, since it's on their ship and it's their stated policy, no one else. The issue should be between the passengers and Celebrity, not between each other. If you don't like how Celebrity is enforcing its policy, your beef is with them.

IMHO, that what some hoggers are hoping for that people will be to afraid to move the items. I say move them, after waiting a respectable 30-45 minutes, yourself. Just my own two cents.

Bob

I am on a cruise to enjoy myself too. If I were looking for a place and some how noticed a chair hoggers stuff, yeah I would move towels. I wouldn't touch personal property. I would love to have the person or persons confront me for moving their towels while being a hog. I don't mind irritating an irritating or rude person in the least.

IMHO, that what some hoggers are hoping for that people will be to afraid to move the items. I say move them, after waiting a respectable 30-45 minutes, yourself. Just my own two cents.

I'm sure that's exactly what they're counting on, and people should be "afraid" to or at least have trepidations about movng someone else's items for the reasons I've mentioned. What should be the deterrent is knowing (or finding out through experience) that the cruise line will remove the items.

I agree that two hours (the reported time it takes for them to remove items, according to the thread I referenced earlier) is still too long to have to wait, but 1) X may be easing into this new policy a bit to see how it goes, and may plan to tighten it up later, and 2) it's their policy to implement as they see fit.

While it is rude for someone to hog a chair they aren't using, I think a basic rule of etiquette is to not touch someone else's belongings without their permission. 2 wrongs don't make a right in this case. But if there is a stated policy that the pool attendants may remove personal items, then it is ok to ask them to do this.

Funny thing is that at the grocery store today I turned my back to select an avocado and my cart was gone. I found the cart with a woman about 100 feet away and told her that she had my cart and that her cart was probably the one sitting alone in the produce section. So she let go of the cart but thought that my tomato was hers and went to pick it up and I instinctively grabbed it and told her that was my tomato also! :D

While it is rude for someone to hog a chair they aren't using, I think a basic rule of etiquette is to not touch someone else's belongings without their permission. 2 wrongs don't make a right in this case. But if there is a stated policy that the pool attendants may remove personal items, then it is ok to ask them to do this.

Funny thing is that at the grocery store today I turned my back to select an avocado and my cart was gone. I found the cart with a woman about 100 feet away and told her that she had my cart and that her cart was probably the one sitting alone in the produce section. So she let go of the cart but thought that my tomato was hers and went to pick it up and I instinctively grabbed it and told her that was my tomato also! :D

Glad you did not get into a food fight in the produce section!;)

More likely, I'd just find something else to do, rather than stand around with a stopwatch. I could play games, move the hogger's things off the chair, then feign ignorance (not that difficult for me), but to me a chair's just not worth the hassle.

I agree...

Also agree with the poster who said if you're flexible about where you can get a lounge chair you should be okay..right around the pool is usually pretty busy but if you're willing to be on the upper deck or a bit away from it you should be okay...

I am not a chair hog and I think that the staff should move there belongings according to their policy. However, if I witnessed someone touching and moving my personal stuff I would probably get into a physical altercation with that individual. I would take it very personal that my stuff was being touched. I would really think twice about doing this yourself and just have the staff do it.. it would result in a much easier process.

Seriously? Wow! Guess I am just fortunate that the owner of the book I moved wasn't you! I'll still take my chances on using an abandoned chair. God bless you!

Can I? Well, of course I'm able, but I would hand the task off to an official and let them take the heat. Then again, I don't spend much time trying to get coveted seats. In fact, unless I happened upon one, purely by accident, I wouldn't even bother. I get chairs in less desirable locations, head to the pool when I want, and then head back to my less desirable location, secure in the knowledge that nobody else want's my spot.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

It's kind of like my job. I'm a full-time, volunteer, budget and credit educator. Nobody wants my job. JOB SECURITY!:p

I am not a chair hog and I think that the staff should move there belongings according to their policy. However, if I witnessed someone touching and moving my personal stuff I would probably get into a physical altercation with that individual. I would take it very personal that my stuff was being touched. I would really think twice about doing this yourself and just have the staff do it.. it would result in a much easier process.

Even if you had put a Louis lamour dime store novel on the chair at 0700 and someone moved it at 11:00 Am because you hadn't been there at all????? Isn't that a bit too much?

Bob

Originally Posted by sco0437 View Post

Bob

Bob, read the previous sentence before the one you highlighted.

I am not a chair hog and I think people that are need to have some respect and courtesy for others on the cruise.

With that being said, if you move someone else's stuff, you do so at your own risk.. that's all.. Why put that risk on you when you can have Celebrity's staff do it?

Even if you had put a Louis lamour dime store novel on the chair at 0700 and someone moved it at 11:00 Am because you hadn't been there at all????? Isn't that a bit too much?

Bob

People talk big on boards! ;)

Where do you draw the line before saying it's acceptable to handle someone else's things? The value is immaterial. It may not be grand larceny, but if it's wrong, it's wrong. It's also wrong to even be talking about the possibility of physical violence over a chair, so just let X handle it. That service, supposedly, is part of what you're paying for.

I detest chair hogs. I am on vacation and its for me to enjoy myself. I would certainly not personally remove the items, but get staff to do so. On the other hand, if I saw someone removing a chair hogs items, mum is the word.

Chair hogs get away with it because they count on most folks being timid.

If I saw stuff "holding" a chair for more than an hour, I'd cheerfully toss the stuff on the deck or a nearby table and use the chair. If the chair hog gets upset, that's their problem, not mine.

As for the hotheaded bully who claims he'd try to beat up anyone who touched his stuff, I'd be laughing my arse off watching him get kicked off the ship at the next port. :D

...............a "physical altercation" because someone touched your stuff left there too long (ship's rules)? How old ARE you? I hope you've not taught your kids that's the way to solve problems. NO ONE wants this sort of thing going on when they're on a "relaxing" vacation.

If you plan to remain on board for your entire cruise, you need to figure out better conflict resolution methods.;)

Bet I haven't sat in one of those greasy chairs for ten min total in all the cruises I have been on.

I have always thought it would be more fun just to swap things from one chair to another 5 or 6 chairs down after seeing them in the same spot with nobody returning for hrs!

Reality is if there was no chair hogs anyone could find one real close to where they wanted to be including the chair hog. But that will never happen.

Come to think of it I need to find someone going that's on a cruise now to put a book and towel on a chair for my cruise next spring!

Chair hogs get away with it because they count on most folks being timid.

If I saw stuff "holding" a chair for more than an hour, I'd cheerfully toss the stuff on the deck or a nearby table and use the chair. If the chair hog gets upset, that's their problem, not mine.

As for the hotheaded bully who claims he'd try to beat up anyone who touched his stuff, I'd be laughing my arse off watching him get kicked off the ship at the next port. :D

Well said my friend.....:):):)

Bob

...............a "physical altercation" because someone touched your stuff left there too long (ship's rules)? How old ARE you? I hope you've not taught your kids that's the way to solve problems. NO ONE wants this sort of thing going on when they're on a "relaxing" vacation.

If you plan to remain on board for your entire cruise, you need to figure out better conflict resolution methods.;)

Hi, thanks for your post.:) I read that post and could not believe what

I was reading. A physical altercation? In other words the person would

hit the other person? Like a fistfight?:eek::(...omg....can't they just ask,

who moved my stuff and where is it?....:confused:.....a physical altercation?

YIKES!!!

Oh, I agree with you, there has to be a better way to resolve the particular

situation without a physical altercation....:(

if I witnessed someone touching and moving my personal stuff I would probably get into a physical altercation with that individual.

I wish I were on the same cruise with you. Because I love to have fun. I would definitely move anything you used to hog a chair just for the fun of seeing the action. It would be hilarious to see you have a full-blown red-faced tantrum over a deck chair, attempt to throw a punch at someone, then get removed from the ship at the next port. Free entertainment!

A physical altercation?hit the other person? Like a fistfight?:eek:...omg....can't they just ask, who moved my stuff and where is it?.........a physical altercation?:(

Give me back my stuff, Lois!!! How dare you? I've only been gone 6 hours! That's my chair and my stuff! Can't a girl leave to freshen up, have a massage, eat lunch and watch a movie? The nerve! :D

550w_eastenders_20081226_2.jpg

Archived