Dining Room Disasters: What's the worst dish you've had on Carnival?

How is the neptune's platter? I wasnt too sure about calamari, but have been curious. I saw lots of people who ordered it around me and seemed to enjoy it. I haven't read anything here on this thread so far. Any opinions? Thanks for all the advice/input.

:)

How is the neptune's platter? I wasnt too sure about calamari, but have been curious. I saw lots of people who ordered it around me and seemed to enjoy it. I haven't read anything here on this thread so far. Any opinions? Thanks for all the advice/input.

:)

Tastey, but then again I love calamari.

Lets see, where do we start?

On our most recent cruise we had several dishes in the MDR that were WAY below average(for a cruise ship). On the first night my wife and I both ordered the Flat Iron steak. Her steak was so tough that she couldn't even eat it. Mine was not quite as tough but, the steak had no flavor at all. Even the Pepper Corn sauce could not save it. We also ordered the ribs to share. Since my wife couldn't eat her steak I told her to go ahead and eat the ribs. She took one bite and said, "they taste like dish washing liquid". I tasted the ribs and sure enough there was an underlying taste of dish washing liquid. Maybe they didn't properly wash out the pan that the ribs were baked in. On another night my wife chose the Turkey and dressing entrée. Once again she gave it a thumbs down and didn't finish much on her plate.

I tried the Jerk Pork Tenderloin and found it dry and the jerk sauce very, very mild. I also tried a seafood pasta dish(can't remember the name) which wasn't to bad yet, it had only 3 shrimp, and about 2 scallops in it. And last but not least I tried the Bitter an Blanc that so many rave about. It was very, very dry even with the sauce and just not good at all. I did enjoy the Sweet an Sour Shrimp, the Crab cake and the WCMC, which was great and prefectly cooked each night(with 2 scoops of ice cream).

HA! I ALWAYS order the turkey and dressing when it's on the menu, and ALWAYS enjoy it! Maybe you had an off night,,,,or perhaps,,,,I just have a warped sense of taste. :confused:

"SKY"

Nope I'm with you and enjoy the turkey and dressing...now the next night they "reinvent" the leftover turkey into something that was not all that appearling:eek:

You might try Regent, Silversea, Seabourn, etc. cruise lines.

Maybe they have food that you would like.

We're going to stick with Carnival because of the price. To be honest with you, we enjoyed the food in the buffet more than the MDR. We don't expect the food to be great, just edible. I would be happy just eating at the buffet and the grills, but my wife likes to go into the dinning room for dinner. It's still a great bargain even if the food is not the best. And I did find food that I liked, I just found more that I didn't like.

Their chocolate melting cake is awful. I love a good molten cake, but the Carnival one is really, really bad. They just squirt chocolate flavored corn syrup in there, instead of using real chocolate.

You might try Regent, Silversea, Seabourn, etc. cruise lines.

Maybe they have food that you would like.

The title of the thread invites ppl to share less than desirable meals they have been served in the MDR...why be snotty to the poster for doing just that? He did point out the good dishes they were served.

Several years ago I ordered the Seafood Neuberg and it was a tad to fishy for my taste. And one time I ordered an appetizer that had calamari in it that was almost as tuff as trying to chew a rubber band.

The Seafood Newburg was almost inedible according to my aunt and cousin. The seafood was way too fishy and the lobster sauce was too strong. I tried one bite and immediately went for my glass of water.

Personally, the worst MDR dish I had was the asparagus vichyssoise (sp?). WAY too much salt. It must have been an accident.

That's all I can think of. I loved almost all of the food on my cruise this past week. The buffet was a different story, but the MDR exceeded my expectations.

There is a mexican dish on the menu could be chili rellenos that generally is very good and not that spicy.

A few cruises ago it was way over the top.

No big deal as I than just ordered a flat iron steak. I enjoy them.

Yup I had the same experience with the chilis relenos-a hot pepper stuffed. Usually it is very good and slightly spicy but last time the chili pepper felt like molten lava on my tongue.

• 7 months later...

I am not sure what happened last week on the Sensation but it was OFF!!

My sister is a vegetarian so the meal choices are limited. One night she had the vegetable parm and the veggies were crisp in the middle and chesse on top was almost burnt. She ordered mac and cheese and it was COLD!

I sent the flat iron back the first time. I ordered it medium. It was way over done. They brought another that was seriously bleeding and the last one was more medium rare.

Even our bar waiter in the MDR was clueless. My sister asked for a peach belini and she brought a glass of white wine.

Eggs Benedict is my mother's favorite thing in the world (well, that and Peanut Butter, plain with a spoon).

Anyway, we cruised on the Ecstacy once and she ordered Eggs Benedict. The waiter brought her one egg on a muffin with ham and something yellow crusty on top. She asked him where was the Hollandaise Sauce and he said "right there" abnd pointed to the plate. She picked it up and turned it upside down and nothing moved. She told the waiter that she had had better "Egg McMuffins". My mother said "never again" to Carnival.

Forward to 2011, circumstances led us to the Carnival Paradise when other vacation plans fell through. The first morning we went to the MDR and ordered EB with extra Hollandaise on the side. It was really, really good. So much so, that my mother had it on the second day too.

We had an occasion to meet the Captain and my mother told him her story and how absolutely wonderful our entire cruise had been, including the Eggs Benedict. He smiled ear-to-ear.

We will definately cruise Carnival again if the opportunity arises.

Yes, we are both foodies. I did the Chef's Table and that was a culinary dream. My tablemate said it best, afterwards we were all in a "food coma". Chef Russell is not only a culinary genius, but a wonderful teacher. It was fantastic!

Archived