Can teen go to Diamond Lounge with parents?

This is a good question as we'll be sailing with our 17 and 18 year olds next month. The 18 year old can drink (it's a Med cruise) and we're all Diamond members and it would be nice to have a pre-dinner drink together.

However, many of the answers here seem to refer to the Concierge Lounge, where the concierge seems to have a certain amount of influence over what happens there. Would the rules be a lot stricter for the Diamond lounge and, for that matter, who runs the Diamond lounge :confused:

The diamond lounge on the Freedom and Oasis class ships have a concierge just like the concierge lounge. They make the decisions for the lounge. There have never been kids in the evenings whenever we have cruised.

So what is the big deal if young teens are sitting with their parents in a lounge having a soda while their parents have a pre dinner drink. I could see not wanting real little kids in there making noise and running around.

Its not a strip club, its not some Carlos and Charlies T and A joint. There is no dirty comic up on stage. So a youth sits at a table with his family.

As long as they behave themselves and aren't drinking , what is the harm especially in the early dinner hours.

Seating capacity is one reason that comes to my mind. I don't think that's the official reason but it makes sense to me.

So what is the big deal if young teens are sitting with their parents in a lounge having a soda while their parents have a pre dinner drink. I could see not wanting real little kids in there making noise and running around.

Its not a strip club, its not some Carlos and Charlies T and A joint. There is no dirty comic up on stage. So a youth sits at a table with his family.

As long as they behave themselves and aren't drinking , what is the harm especially in the early dinner hours.

Its just nice to have an adult only time..

Seating capacity is one reason that comes to my mind. I don't think that's the official reason but it makes sense to me.

If they are Diamond or Diamond Plus members then they are part of the seating capacity.

Even on ships WITH a Diamond Lounge, they don't use it for the nightly cocktail hours...there are just too many Diamond members. The ships I've been on have held the nightly Diamond event in one of the nightclubs onboard. I don't even bother, after trying it once. Bad wine and a "discounted" mixed drink...no thanks. No appetizers like they have in the concierge lounge either.

To the OP, just go have a drink in any of the regular lounges before dinner, kids are allowed in them (obviously can't be served alcohol) and you can have your family time with your son and he can enjoy his Shirley Temple.

I personally find the dedicated Diamond Lounges pretty much worthless. About the only time I might ever wander in there is to make a cappuccino on the coffee machine.

Well they should be.

If they have been on the appropriate number of cruises to be Diamond or Diamond plus. (Somebody paid all those fares for all those cruises).

I would rather see a teen with his family sitting in that lounge who truly is that status. Then see scumbags walking in and out handing off drinks to their non Diamond friends waiting outside the door.

Here we go with THAT old excuse. This just allows for more misinterpretation of the rules. Another reason to support the "Must be 21 to be C&A member" rule.

Seating is limited in the DL. On Freedom, before the early dining, the lounge is extremely crowded. I think I would be upset to have to stand so a teen-ager could sit.

We usually go to the lounge about an hour before we go to dinner. So, we had MTD and went to dinner nightly at 7. When we tried to go into the lounge a few minutes before 6, it was standing room only. There weren't any children or teens in there, but I am sure had there been, someone would have said something.

We were not allowed to take drinks from the lounge either. The last night we were able to take a glass of wine in a coffee cup. I think the problem with taking drinks from the lounge is two fold. One, guests take drinks for their friends, traveling companions etc. and two, the lounge then gets short of glasses. Years ago on Mariner we were told we could take the wine to dinner in a wine glass, but had to bring the glass back, which we did.

I have to add that I think your "scumbag" comment is totally uncalled for. Wow, I can't believe you think like that!

On our last cruise, there were under 18 kids in the Diamond Lounge. We and others complained. They were asked to leave. Great when the system works the way it was intended.

On our Freedom sailing last Sept, there were so many Diamond members on board, those not eligible were not allowed entry. Due to capacity issues on each night, 2 overflow lounges were opened using the Seven Hearts and Cloud Nine rooms. They opened up the dividing walls of these 2 rooms to make 1 large area complete with a fully staffed bar set up.

Outside the DL and the overflow lounges there were crew members checking the DL entry cards of each and every person trying to enter. In addition, in the DL there was the concierge and another crew member serving drinks.

However, you were allowed out of the lounge with your drink in order to sit at the bar in Olive or Twist if you wished to smoke a cigarette, but you had to explain your reasons and you were closely watched in order to make sure you did not pass your drinks to someone else. Just as it should be IMHO.

Maybe RCI could ad to the already existing CL and DL a TL;)(Teen Lounge)

They already have one,dont they? Hey--an idea......why cant we go in there????? After all,i want to be with my kid.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

They already have one,dont they? Hey--an idea......why cant we go in there????? After all,i want to be with my kid.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

I want to be with my 'kid' too. He's 18, he's a Diamond member (having earned it through cruising), he's allowed to drink on our next cruise (as he's cruising in the Med) and he's about to go off to University, having just completed a very successful school career, culminating in him being Head Boy of his school. If you don't like to drink in the same lounge as a 'kid' like that, may I respectfully suggest it's you who has the problem :)

I want to be with my 'kid' too. He's 18, he's a Diamond member (having earned it through cruising), he's allowed to drink on our next cruise (as he's cruising in the Med) and he's about to go off to University, having just completed a very successful school career, culminating in him being Head Boy of his school. If you don't like to drink in the same lounge as a 'kid' like that, may I respectfully suggest it's you who has the problem :)

NP here:rolleyes:..........if he is allowed to drink in there,fine....maybe there are different rules for the Med cruises,but any time I have cruised,one has to be 19 to be in there from 5-8..

NP here:rolleyes:..........if he is allowed to drink in there,fine....maybe there are different rules for the Med cruises,but any time I have cruised,one has to be 19 to be in there from 5-8..

On sailings from places where the drinking age is 18 - i.e. the Med and South America - 18 year old's can drink if they are accompanied by parents and their parents sign a waiver giving approval.

...and I promise you would love him :D;)

On sailings from places where the drinking age is 18 - i.e. the Med and South America - 18 year old's can drink if they are accompanied by parents and their parents sign a waiver giving approval.

...and I promise you would love him :D;)

I said if he was allowed IN THERE(meaning the DL)

The age limits should be respected on all areas of the ship. When my daughter turned 18 and was allowed in the Conceige Lounge she found it very boring and left right away.

See?? Thats what I would think......

I said if he was allowed IN THERE(meaning the DL)

what you actually said was 'if he was allowed TO DRINK IN THERE'. I know some people have problems seeing 18 year olds having a drink. No big deal for me, you don't want 18 year old's in the lounge and, as someone else said, they probably won't want to be in there anyway - particularly if people at glaring at them ;)

My 18yo would stop by the CL most nights for a soda and some snacks, then he left because it was kind of boring for him. But it was kind of boring for us, too: Suite guests seem less mingly than Ds and D+s.

what you actually said was 'if he was allowed TO DRINK IN THERE'. I know some people have problems seeing 18 year olds having a drink. No big deal for me, you don't want 18 year old's in the lounge and, as someone else said, they probably won't want to be in there anyway - particularly if people at glaring at them ;)

I am so glad you are here to correct me......:rolleyes:

I'm not sure it is watching an 18 year old drink as much as having an "adult" area for adults..no kids.

I don't think it should have anything to do with the allowed drinking age on certain cruises as much as not having kids in what should be an adult area. IMO.

Same for the Solarium...21.

I'm not sure it is watching an 18 year old drink as much as having an "adult" area for adults..no kids.

I don't think it should have anything to do with the allowed drinking age on certain cruises as much as not having kids in what should be an adult area. IMO.

Same for the Solarium...21.

But an adult is 18. My son dressed appropriately and was polite to the people we chatted to. I did notice a few other very young adults and they seemed like they were on their best behavior.

Meanwhile, DH and I struck up a conversation with an older couple and the man was completely charmless. Another man carried on very loudly about the amount of kids on our cruise and said he would never book a suite again. Older adults came in with sleeveless tshirts on the men, bra straps hanging out of swimsuit coverups, flipflops, etc.

I have absolutely no problem with nice 18 year olds sharing the lounge with us. They seem happier, at least!

Archived