Can teen go to Diamond Lounge with parents?

I did a search for this question and couldn't find the answer, although I think I've read something about this somewhere.

We just reached Diamond level with our last cruise and are going on Liberty Thanksgiving week. We have early seating in the MDR and wondered if our son (13) will be able to join us in the Diamond lounge for a pre-dinner drink. He, still, likes Shirley Temples, although we probably need to start calling them something "cooler". Also, my parents will be on this cruise with us (they are at the Gold level) and I'd like to know if they can join us in the lounge, too.

Thanks for your responses! :)

I did a search for this question and couldn't find the answer, although I think I've read something about this somewhere.

We just reached Diamond level with our last cruise and are going on Liberty Thanksgiving week. We have early seating in the MDR and wondered if our son (13) will be able to join us in the Diamond lounge for a pre-dinner drink. He, still, likes Shirley Temples, although we probably need to start calling them something "cooler". Also, my parents will be on this cruise with us (they are at the Gold level) and I'd like to know if they can join us in the lounge, too.

NO. They must be 18 and older. 21 to drink alcohol.

On our last cruise, they checked your Sea Pass to be sure you were Diamond.

According to the rules, the correct answer to both of your questions is No. Underage children are not supposed to be in the lounge during the cocktail hour and only Diamond and Diamond Plus members are supposed to have access to the lounge. The reason for the first rule should be obvious and the reason for the second is the overcrowding that would occur, if everyone decided to bring travel companions, who otherwise don't qualify on their own, into the lounge with them. There are occasions when both violations occur and are either allowed or unnoticed by the concierge, but in fairness to your fellow Diamond members you really ought to reconsider the idea.:)

Do they even have the fixings for a Shirley Temple in the DL, anyway?

I would suggest you and your husband go to the DL for a pre-drink, and then meet G&G with son at another bar so they can have their drinks and he can have his Shirley Temple.

*LOL*

One time when our kids were small we were out to dinner and ordered a Shirley Temple and a Roy Rogers for our DS and DD and of course they asked us who these people are and we had to go through the whole spiel .

My wife said the same thing as you, after all these years you would think they would call them by the names of more modern kid stars.

I said yea but if they called them "Drew Barrymores" they would have to put actual alcohol in them *LOL*

According to the rules, the correct answer to both of your questions is No. Underage children are not supposed to be in the lounge during the cocktail hour and only Diamond and Diamond Plus members are supposed to have access to the lounge. The reason for the first rule should be obvious and the reason for the second is the overcrowding that would occur, if everyone decided to bring travel companions, who otherwise don't qualify on their own, into the lounge with them. There are occasions when both violations occur and are either allowed or unnoticed by the concierge, but in fairness to your fellow Diamond members you really ought to reconsider the idea.:)

Although the son would be excluded by reason of age, I believe (am I wrong?:confused:) that he would be diamond level himself because (I assume) he lives in the same household as diamond members. OP might want to know this for other activities that are for diamond only.

Comments?

Kathy

Thanks, all!

I won't try to bring them if they aren't allowed; that's why I was asking. I searched here and on RCI's website and didn't find the answer.

I guess what we will do is get our drinks from the Diamond lounge and meet them nextdoor in the Viking Crown lounge. Hey, we've earned our Diamond and want to enjoy whatever benefits that gets us!

Funny story about the mock cocktails for the kids: We were at a restaurant with our son and his friend (10) and our friend's son ordered a "Strawberry Daquiri without the achohol". I tried not to laugh, because he was very serious. Then, he turned to our son and said, "You have to tell them to make it without the alchohol or they will give it you and you'll get drunk." Hilarious! But, it makes you wonder if the kids think you are drunk after having one of these. ;)

Thanks, all!

I won't try to bring them if they aren't allowed; that's why I was asking. I searched here and on RCI's website and didn't find the answer.

I guess what we will do is get our drinks from the Diamond lounge and meet them nextdoor in the Viking Crown lounge. Hey, we've earned our Diamond and want to enjoy whatever benefits that gets us!

Funny story about the mock cocktails for the kids: We were at a restaurant with our son and his friend (10) and our friend's son ordered a "Strawberry Daquiri without the achohol". I tried not to laugh, because he was very serious. Then, he turned to our son and said, "You have to tell them to make it without the alchohol or they will give it you and you'll get drunk." Hilarious! But, it makes you wonder if the kids think you are drunk after having one of these. ;)

There is a sign about ages posted outside the lounge. :) Not sure if it is posted anywhere else.....

Thanks, all!

;)

Only problem might be they wont let you take the drinks out of the DL..

Only problem might be they wont let you take the drinks out of the DL..

That does seem to vary by concierge. When we were on Freedom, the consierge allowed us to take our glass of wine out each night. We are not big drinkers. We would each have a glass of wine and nurse it over the 30-45 minutes we were in the lounge then we would let them "top it up" close to dinner time. And then we would take the glass to dinner. We really appreciated being able to do that.

That does seem to vary by concierge. When we were on Freedom, the consierge allowed us to take our glass of wine out each night. We are not big drinkers. We would each have a glass of wine and nurse it over the 30-45 minutes we were in the lounge then we would let them "top it up" close to dinner time. And then we would take the glass to dinner. We really appreciated being able to do that.

and thats why I said MIGHT..;)

Oh boy, that's going to stink if we can't take our drinks out and sit with the rest of the family. We've always cruised with our son (so, he has also earned the Diamond level) and I just wanted to enjoy what we've earned by being able to go to the Diamond lounge to get our pre-dinner drink. If we can't, we can't. I'd rather be with my family. Anyway...thanks for all of your responses!

There is a sign about ages posted outside the lounge. :) Not sure if it is posted anywhere else.....

References to both the age restriction and the rule limiting access to Diamond and Diamond Plus members will also be found in the letter that accompanies the access card that guest will find in their stateroom when they first board.:) Most concierges discourage guests from taking drinks from the lounge but in some circumstances they may allow it as long as they don't risk running short of glassware during the cocktail hour.

There is also a sign posted saying that food and drinks are to be consumed inside the lounge only. However, your concierge may let you take one drink out if you explain about traveling with your family, and if so, will probably allow you to take it our only in a paper coffee cup.

References to both the age restriction and the rule limiting access to Diamond and Diamond Plus members will also be found in the letter that accompanies the access card that guest will find in their stateroom when they first board.:) Most concierges discourage guests from taking drinks from the lounge but in some circumstances they may allow it as long as they don't risk running short of glassware during the cocktail hour.

I did know that taking a drink was not always allowed. Don't know if was something this consierge always did. Or whether it was the fact that it wasn't a super busy lounge and so not that many people would "jump on the band wagon". Or whether it was the fact that we were not drinking that much anyway. Or whether he just thought his tip might be impacted if he said no.

In any case, it was nice for that cruise.

It will depend on how many Diamond and Plus memebers are on the cruise, our kids have usually been invited to stay by the Consierge with no problem at all, they are 22 and 18 now, on the transatlantics they are able to drink at 18 too.

Have a great cruise.

Brian J

It will depend on how many Diamond and Plus memebers are on the cruise, our kids have usually been invited to stay by the Consierge with no problem at all, they are 22 and 18 now, on the transatlantics they are able to drink at 18 too.

Have a great cruise.

Brian J

thats nice for you,but personally,I dont want kids in there during the cocktail hour......

This is a good question as we'll be sailing with our 17 and 18 year olds next month. The 18 year old can drink (it's a Med cruise) and we're all Diamond members and it would be nice to have a pre-dinner drink together.

However, many of the answers here seem to refer to the Concierge Lounge, where the concierge seems to have a certain amount of influence over what happens there. Would the rules be a lot stricter for the Diamond lounge and, for that matter, who runs the Diamond lounge :confused:

We have seen guests take drinks out of the lounge and give them to friends outside then return for more, however now there is usually an officer od duty or the Concierge themselves will stop you from leaving the lounge with food or drink.

The newer ships have notices to this effect.But it can be a problem when they have to open the overflow lounges or in Diamond lounge where you can buy drinks at a discount.

So what is the big deal if young teens are sitting with their parents in a lounge having a soda while their parents have a pre dinner drink. I could see not wanting real little kids in there making noise and running around.

Its not a strip club, its not some Carlos and Charlies T and A joint. There is no dirty comic up on stage. So a youth sits at a table with his family.

As long as they behave themselves and aren't drinking , what is the harm especially in the early dinner hours.

Bobal - The Diamond lounges are only on Freedom & Oasis class ships. The others have nightly "Diamond Events" which we have found to be much looser in their restrictions. We have been able to have our teens join us on occasion for a predinner frozen drink (with no alcohol) & have been able to take our drinks with us to dinner.

Archived