Purchasing stamps

I am trying to figure out where one can purchase postage stamps in the various countries: England, Belgium, and Netherlands to be exact. My father is an avid stamp collector and would appreciate especially commemorative stamps (those with famous people or events--not just regular stamps). I know in some countries that the "post office" is not what we know in the US but part of a pharmacy or other store. Another post detailed about sending postcards from the various countries--that too, is an idea. Perhaps I will try to do both. So if anyone, can tell me where I can easily buy stamps I would appreciate it. Thanks CC.

Pearl

In England you can usually buy stamps at a small store or newspaper/bookshop. They will display a sign outside ROYAL MAIL its red and yellow.

Also, for most places where they sell postcards you can ask if they have stamps. But let me say in Europe (outside of England) a lot of places don't even carry commemorative stamps, only the very large Post Offices in the city will have them.

In the other two countries it will be similar you can always enquire at a stationery shop as well, they can point you in the right direction. In Holland it shouldn't be a problem with speaking English at all. I've only done Belgium with a German friend and we did okay.

So if anyone, can tell me where I can easily buy stamps I would appreciate it.
As far as special issue/commemorative UK stamps are concerned, quite frankly the easiest way is to buy them online from the Royal Mail.

If you go to a post office, even a big one, it'll be very hit and miss whether there have been any special issues recently, or whether they have any of the recent special issues in stock, or indeed what condition those stamps will be in.

In England you can usually buy stamps at a small store or newspaper/bookshop. They will display a sign outside ROYAL MAIL its red and yellow.

Stores, newsagents etc will usually only have the basic denominations (!st and 2nd class) for internal UK mail. Post Offices will have a wider selection, but often sell out of commemmorative issues very quickly. As Globaliser says, the besy way for a collector to get British stamps is direct from Royal Mail.

In NL indeed postoffice, but most larger supermarkets (like AH etc.) have a service-counters where they sell stamps. Just the ones they have in stock, sometimes the regular ones, sometimes the specials.

Often you have to buy a small booklet with 5 or 10 of the same stamps however.

Some shops that sell postcards (not all) will also sell stamps for those postcards.

Archived