2010 or 11 Sapphire drydock?

mina

Does anyone know if/when the Sapphire goes into drydock? We have a Sept 2011 cruise scheduled on it and may switch ships if MUTs, etc. is not yet installed. Thank you!

Does anyone know if/when the Sapphire goes into drydock? We have a Sept 2011 cruise scheduled on it and may switch ships if MUTs, etc. is not yet installed. Thank you!

We sail on the Sapphire in October 2011, and it will not have gone into dry dock before that date. If memory serves me correctly, it is either very late 2011 or early 2012 before it will go into drydock for the additions.

Sapphire is completely off the cruise calendar from 1/7-1/28/2012. I'm not sure what will be done in those 3 weeks. We sail 4/14/2012 so hopefully there won't be any lingering "jobs" still to be done after drydock.

Sapphire is completely off the cruise calendar from 1/7-1/28/2012. I'm not sure what will be done in those 3 weeks. We sail 4/14/2012 so hopefully there won't be any lingering "jobs" still to be done after drydock.

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. However, if I were on the cruise just before the drydock or just after, I would abandon ship.

Shouldn't be a problem by then. The cruise directly before drydock and the cruise directly after would definitely concern me, but almost three months later everything will be complete. I sail on the Diamond less than two months after the upcoming drydock and have no apprehension at all, everything will be finished.

When they do a drydock that lasts 3 weeks like Sapphire is going to have, do they do new bedspreads, drapes and such? I'm trying to figure out why they need 3 weeks, that seems a long time. I think I read somewhere that they have to paint the hull every so many years, but I wonder what else they do..

When they do a drydock that lasts 3 weeks like Sapphire is going to have, do they do new bedspreads, drapes and such? I'm trying to figure out why they need 3 weeks, that seems a long time. I think I read somewhere that they have to paint the hull every so many years, but I wonder what else they do..

They can do quite a lot in 3 weeks. Here is what they did to the Golden in 3 weeks. Enjoy!

http://www.princess.com/goldendrydock/

You shouldn't have anything to worry about. However, if I were on the cruise just before the drydock or just after, I would abandon ship.

Shouldn't be a problem by then. The cruise directly before drydock and the cruise directly after would definitely concern me, but almost three months later everything will be complete. I sail on the Diamond less than two months after the upcoming drydock and have no apprehension at all, everything will be finished.

I was on the Coral; last cruise before drydock in October 2009. Everything was fine; nothing at all was started while we on board. What was added during their two week hiatus was new carpeting in all common areas, MUTS and the Sanctuary. I was on the ship again 3rd voyage post drydock and all was well.

Wow Duck Duck!!! Could they be doing anything like that on Sapphire???

I believe it is getting the same treatment. Adding the International Cafe too. When we were getting ready to book our next Hawaii cruise Lin asked if Sapphire would have the IC and at that time it was unknown if the drydock would be completed, so she said Book The Golden.

A ship's drydock usually lasts only a week or two. They sand the bottom, removing the barnicles and flakes, and paint it with a Teflon coating. They burnish the propellers and check all mechanics below the waterline, including the thrusters and stabilizers. This takes a great deal of time. All of the engines are overhauled. When a major feature is added, such as MUTS, the area has to be prepared and the framework installed to add the screen; it's not like installing a 50" screen in your home; it's a major undertaking. Obviously, soft and hard goods are exchanged and interiors in both the public rooms and cabins refreshed.

Three weeks is a very long dry dock so a lot of things are probably scheduled to be done.

FYI, I've never seen more than a few people watching MUTS. One night, I counted a total of seven. It's not nearly as popular as people think plus it's unusable on any cruise that isn't very temperate.

• 1 month later...

Archived