The Almost Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Oasis of the Seas

... the concierge realized our disappointment and booked us to return later on our cruise.

Hey, cruisenshop! ;) We also had a great dinner at Giovanni's! (You can see her picture in the post about that dinner.)

That was pretty crazy what happened to you two at that first Chef's Table. It's nice they were so accommodating.

Chefs Table on Oasis was great - even though we did not join Brian and Sheri as we were reserved for different nights. The food and wine pairing and service were lovely. Keep in mind that Chef's Table will most likely be a group of people you don't know. That said, our first experience was not so great because we were seated with a family who left the room to smoke and talk and drink and their behavior delayed the meal and made it difficult for the rest of us to enjoy the experience in the way it was intended. That said, the concierge realized our disappointment and booked us to return later on our cruise. That evening - even without Brian and Sheri- came close to perfect. Our table that night was filled with interesting, traveled, lovely people whose company we enjoyed immensely.

That is disturbing that a family that paid for an experience and would disrupt this occasion to leave the table to smoke and talk. I believe the Chef should of made clear what this dinner was about. Our chef did advise all talking would be kept to discussions of food and preparation and wine, etc. He put it in such a nice way we all knew not to chat about ports and what did you do today type of discussions. I am glad to hear the concierge did something for you but that did not help you dinner that evening. Good to know

That is disturbing that a family that paid for an experience and would disrupt this occasion to leave the table to smoke and talk. I believe the Chef should of made clear what this dinner was about. Our chef did advise all talking would be kept to discussions of food and preparation and wine, etc. He put it in such a nice way we all knew not to chat about ports and what did you do today type of discussions. I am glad to hear the concierge did something for you but that did not help you dinner that evening. Good to know

Well, the family was occupying one of the biggest suites on Oasis. I don't think the chef, wine steward or concierge knew what to do. Besides these people did not listen to or follow "rules"! Trophy wife may have had a drug problem, they all had really poor manners. But they were happy to share information on their wealth... Again, Chef's Table is FANTASTIC - but only if those you share it with are not stoned out of their mind, have common sense and good manners...

Well, the family was occupying one of the biggest suites on Oasis. I don't think the chef, wine steward or concierge knew what to do. Besides these people did not listen to or follow "rules"! Trophy wife may have had a drug problem, they all had really poor manners. But they were happy to share information on their wealth... Again, Chef's Table is FANTASTIC - but only if those you share it with are not stoned out of their mind, have common sense and good manners...

If they were so rich and booked in largest suite they should of had a special chef's table just for "them" so they would not disturb anyone and keep the rudness to themselves. course that does not save the servers and chef. I am so sorry you had to endure this on this special dinner.

Wow this is going to take me ages to get through but I would like to thank you for posting your reviews of the food on the Oasis. It's going to make it hard though for us to decide where to eat each day. I am thoroughly enjoying reading it even if I am only up to page 6 so far.

I like the sound of the drink - the BBC your wife discovered. I will definately be noting that one down.

I have a question though - what is pretzel dog? I have recently discovered what a corn dog is but can't quite work out the pretzel dog. Not sure if it's something I would want to try but I am still curious.

Actually I do have another question. Do you recommend booking in advance to go to Chops (ie. before the cruise) or do you think it is okay to just reserve on the day you want to go?

Edited by graceinmelbourne

I have a question though - what is pretzel dog? I have recently discovered what a corn dog is but can't quite work out the pretzel dog. Not sure if it's something I would want to try but I am still curious.

A hot dog wrapped in a soft pretzel. More for the kids, but the adults are welcome to enjoy!

Actually I do have another question. Do you recommend booking in advance to go to Chops (ie. before the cruise) or do you think it is okay to just reserve on the day you want to go?

If you're a big group, definitely book ahead. If you're just two, you can wait. But if you do, just expect to be flexible with your date/time. Still best to book ahead, but you'll probably get in if you don't. If you book on board, I would recommend heading to Central Park and visiting Chops as soon as you get on the ship. That will give you the most flexibility.

Have a great cruise and good luck finishing reading. ;)

Two second Maya Chan review. It is AWESOME! It is paradise. I loved it! I have never experienced silence like I experienced here.

But I only had 4 hours there and that's WAY too short. Oasis gets in too late to fully take advantage of this slice of heaven.

28431ee8.jpg

Me relaxing in a hammock, margarita in hand. Zzzzzzzz

brianAlt, what is your gym routine? After reading half through your reviews I was thinking how hard it will be to follow your same type of gastronomic randevouz and still being able to be in a swimsuit at the pool...but i see you really can. Do you visit the gym daily while on the cruise? What do you do after eating your banana?

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed it. :D

I guess I'll start a new thread about the Allure?

I strongly support this course of action. :D

We are on the Allure 4 weeks after you get off, so would love any updated insights to the fine dining choices currently on Allure.

BTW, I was just able to book entertainment for our cruise, it opened the same time as yours I believe. But still not able to book dining, which is a concern as I have carefully crafted a specialty dining plan based primarily on your Oasis guide. I will be quite dissappointed if I can't get in some of the venues I have targeted.

Thanks again for your fine contributions, and looking forward to the Allure edition! ;)

bobj

I strongly support this course of action. :D

We are on the Allure 4 weeks after you get off, so would love any updated insights to the fine dining choices currently on Allure.

Okay, I'll do that. I'm probably going to call it the Not So Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Allure of the Seas. We have booked Chops, 150 CP and Rita's Fiesta (w/ Cocktails YEAH! :D ). The rest is MTD in the MDR. I will definitely write up my findings. But this is going to be a different cruise as I am traveling with my family extended. Last time I was with my wife only.

Too bad I won't have access to the Allure guide before Sunday! ;)

Buffet fan, if you want to take me with you, that's fine. :D Otherwise, I'm sorry, you'll have to wait. Thanks for following me. I wish you a WONDERFUL cruise!

Edited by BrianAlt

Buffet fan, if you want to take me with you, that's fine. :D Otherwise, I'm sorry, you'll have to wait. Thanks for following me. I wish you a WONDERFUL cruise!

I have a FABULOUS idea....you all can come with us on this cruise and we'll bring the family and join you all on your scheduled cruise! It's a win/win for everyone! After all, group cruises are fun! :D

As previously stated, I was planning on writing up my cruise experience and dining experience aboard the Allure this coming April.

I am now rethinking that position.

This space is Cruise Critic's property and they can do what they want with it. They can enforce their policies as they see fit. I respect them for that.

Doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

I'll gladly post my personal blog link for any that want to read about my food and fun exploits aboard the Allure. See you all soon.

As previously stated, I was planning on writing up my cruise experience and dining experience aboard the Allure this coming April.

I am now rethinking that position.

This space is Cruise Critic's property and they can do what they want with it. They can enforce their policies as they see fit. I respect them for that.

Doesn't mean I have to agree with them.

I'll gladly post my personal blog link for any that want to read about my food and fun exploits aboard the Allure. See you all soon.

??I think I missed something??

Sorry to hear (though not at al clear about) an apparent disconnect between your fine contributions and CCs policies. I would be interested in your blog link if you are willing to share, either on here or you can PM me, whichever is the more acceptable method.

Thanks! And smooth sailing in April!

bobj

Thank you and nothing to do with this particular post.

I won't go into specifics, but I'll give this example:

If you are at a bar, the bartender has every right to yell at you. The bartender has every right to throw you out. (To be clear, I wasn't thrown out of anywhere. More the former situation than the latter.) But you have the right to either stop frequenting that establishment or change your visiting habits.

I believe that I can link to a personal blog as long as there is no outside advertising on that blog. I will likely do that. I also won't rule out posting my review here. We shall see.

Thanks for the support.

Brian, considering how much I 'ate up' every word of your Oasis food review before our Oasis cruise, I have been anxiously awaiting your Allure review since we'll be sailing in October.

Although I understand your reasons if you don't post here - remember you have a great following here, are one of the CC 'celebrities' (both they AND RCCL should pay you for all the attention you bring them); don't punish us over some arbitrary rules:confused:. But I'll certainly be following you whether you post here, your blog, or that other 'dreaded' website.:D

Teaches me for responding to a post and not reading further..

Sorry to hear your posting won't be here, but to be honest, I'll follow any link you provide to read your followup on the Allure...

Your review on the Oasis will now be daily reading for me and my DW for the next 100+ days... (probably 30 days before I can make reservations...)

Please keep up the fine writing..

mG

Edited by NerdyChuck
Didn't read far enough into the thread...

Thank you and nothing to do with this particular post.

I won't go into specifics, but I'll give this example:

If you are at a bar, the bartender has every right to yell at you. The bartender has every right to throw you out. (To be clear, I wasn't thrown out of anywhere. More the former situation than the latter.) But you have the right to either stop frequenting that establishment or change your visiting habits.

I believe that I can link to a personal blog as long as there is no outside advertising on that blog. I will likely do that. I also won't rule out posting my review here. We shall see.

Thanks for the support.

Hi Brian - we just returned from the Allure...and I loved reading your guide before we sailed! Whatever you decide to do, I'm sure you'll have lots of followers (inlcuding me) rather it's on CC or on a blog!

• 1 month later...

THANK YOU so much for this guide. You have answered so many of my questions. We have been discussing (and discussing) what alternative restaurants we would try and now after reading and seeing your guide, it makes our decisions so much easier.

I sincerely thank you for all the time it took you, and for the detail that you went into. It's appreciated by so many more people than you could ever know. :D