The Almost Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Oasis of the Seas

MY TWO CENTS:

As a self prescribed foodie, allow me to say that I found 150 Central park actually better than the Chef's Table. Don't get me wrong, the Chef's Table was fantastic, but I liked 150 even better.

Seems like recently 150 CP is getting very high marks. I'll definitely be checking it out again on my Allure cruise next year! :D

Hi Brian,

Just giving you the heads up that your review was emailed via the Lido Deck .. so be prepared ;)

Brilliant review, loved all your descriptions and photos. I'm taking my daughter on Oasis later this year as a celebration of finishing school, so your great information will certainly help in deciding where to eat.

I'm also in IT and had to laugh when I saw the photo on the Carousel Zebra. I decided ages ago that the first thing I am going to do on boarding is take a ride on that Zebra!

Happy Cruising.

Just giving you the heads up that your review was emailed via the Lido Deck .. so be prepared ;)

I think that's wonderful! :D

Wishing you a wonderful cruise and congrats to your daughter.

Brian I am so happy that you were recognized!!! You truly did an amazing job and should receive public recognition!!! Way to go!!!

Thanks so much! :) You definitely helped get the word out and I appreciate that.

As someone who spends a lot of time thinking about and planning where they are going to eat while on vacation (cruise or not), I really enjoyed your posts. great stuff.

I've got a question. I may have missed it in this thread, or maybe it was in one of your pre-cruise threads long ago, but I am curious why you planned to avoid the MDR.

As someone who spends a lot of time thinking about and planning where they are going to eat while on vacation (cruise or not), I really enjoyed your posts. great stuff.

Thanks!

I've got a question. I may have missed it in this thread, or maybe it was in one of your pre-cruise threads long ago, but I am curious why you planned to avoid the MDR.

Good question! Actually, I didn't so much plan on avoiding the MDR. I always enjoy the MDR, sitting with new people, meeting the waiters, that kind of thing. It was just that Oasis seemed so unique and I wanted to sample as much of it as possible. I realized I could go the entire cruise without going in the MDR and I decided that's what I would do.

As for planning, I had a planning thread too. Here it is for anyone that's interested:

Review of July 10th Cruise

It's called "review", but it was actually the "pre-review". You can read it to find out more. :)

Edited by BrianAlt

• 2 weeks later...

jtt - Just a note regarding the now infamous roast beef sandwich from the Park Cafe. It must change from time to time as my husband and I were on the "Allure of the Seas" this past January and we loved it. The meat was so tender it was almost "melt in your mouth" yummy. We ate them several times.

We liked eating in the Park Cafe for quick breakfasts also. They made a yummy McDonald's type breakfast sandwich. it was much better cause they grilled it. And the bagel bar was good also with multiple kinds of bagels and cream cheese spreads. I enjoyed the apricot spread real well.

BrianAlt: Well, it has been said. Your review was outstanding. Thanks so much for doing all this work and posting it for us. Most unfortunately, I just found it and missed it for my Allure trip but it does help for our upcoming Oasis cruise in November. My husband tends to like to eat in the MDR cause he can't see why he should spend more $$$. The only specialty restaurant that we have had a good meal in so far is Portofino's. The one on Celebrity's Constellation left my husband with a bad taste for specialty restaurants on ships. Hopefully, he will try again to give us some variety.

Thanks for the tip about breakfast at johnny rockets. Wouldn't have thought of doing that.

Your review was outstanding. Thanks so much for doing all this work and posting it for us.

You are very welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed. Sorry you didn't notice for your Allure cruise, but I hope you find it useful for your Oasis trip. Have a wonderful cruise!

Hi Brian,

Just wanted to add in my thanks for this amazing thread! We (DW and I) are sailing on Allure in October and are planning on dining in specialty restaurants most if not all evenings. Your guide was not only incredibly informative but also VERY entertaining.

Cheers,

Rich

Thanks Brian! Your "guide" has me soooo excited and I feel more familiar with the ship. We were trying to decide between the Chef's Table, 150 Central Park & Giovanni's (new ship - try somthing new)....Now we have to talk it over & decide. I feel sure that regardless what we decide - it will be great.

We are on the 9/24 sailing of the Oasis...Great way to end the summer! Right? Loved your pics & stories. Maybe we'll see you on board some day!

I do have a question. We sigbed up for My Time Dining, but don't intend to go every night. Is there a consequence for not showing up, or do you have to cancel your reservation?

Thanks again ~Sue

Thank you, Sue! I also hope we can be on the same ship someday. How about Allure in April!?!

I can't think of a better way to end ANY season than a cruise! :D

As for MTD, I believe RCI actually says you don't HAVE to cancel your MTD reservations. However, I think proper protocol says you should. It's only polite. But there are no actual consequences to not, which is why I think they say you don't have to.

This was the best, most informative review I've ever read! As a newbie cruiser, there was an amazing amount of information contained in this guide! Now - like everybody else - I have a question to ask.

I'll be travelling in April 2012 on the Oasis with my 12 year old son. Not only is my son a somewhat picky eater, but he also has food allergy issues. Our travel agent suggested that we choose a regular dining time - NOT the my-time dining - since tht way the waiter would get to know my son and be able to handle his allergy issues. But - what about the specialty dining? I mean - we wouldn't be interested in the real 'foodie' experience, since my boy's idea of luxury is a hamburger and french fries, but I was thinking that we could do maybe one special dinner. Would the specialty restaurants be able to handle a food-allergy situation? And, in your opinion, which would be best?

Again - thanks soooo much for all your info and help!

This was the best, most informative review I've ever read! As a newbie cruiser, there was an amazing amount of information contained in this guide!

Thank you so much! :)

I'll be travelling in April 2012 on the Oasis with my 12 year old son. Not only is my son a somewhat picky eater, but he also has food allergy issues. Our travel agent suggested that we choose a regular dining time - NOT the my-time dining - since tht way the waiter would get to know my son and be able to handle his allergy issues. But - what about the specialty dining? I mean - we wouldn't be interested in the real 'foodie' experience, since my boy's idea of luxury is a hamburger and french fries, but I was thinking that we could do maybe one special dinner. Would the specialty restaurants be able to handle a food-allergy situation? And, in your opinion, which would be best?

If his idea of luxury is a hamburger and french fries, why not indulge him? Johnny Rockets is on board. I think the charge for dinner is $5 or $8 pp.

However, know this. Whatever restaurant you go to, they will cater to him if so requested. Go to Chops and order him a hamburger and french fries, not a problem. Or chicken fingers. Or pasta with butter. You name it, they'll do all they can to serve it. Can he eat Italian food? Most kids like that, but he might be allergic to pasta or tomatoes. If that's a possibility, go to Giovanni's.

Another option is to bring him to the kids club at 7:00 - 7:30 or so and go to the specialty restaurant yourself. No crime in giving yourself a break too. :D

Have a great cruise and welcome to cruising!

Thank you, Rich. Glad you enjoyed. Have a wonderful cruise!

Glad to see this thread made the change over, my chair hog thread did not. I wonder if someone recognized themselves and had it pulled. :confused:

Thanks Brian! Your "guide" has me soooo excited and I feel more familiar with the ship. We were trying to decide between the Chef's Table, 150 Central Park & Giovanni's (new ship - try somthing new)....Now we have to talk it over & decide. I feel sure that regardless what we decide - it will be great.

We are on the 9/24 sailing of the Oasis...Great way to end the summer! Right? Loved your pics & stories. Maybe we'll see you on board some day!

I do have a question. We sigbed up for My Time Dining, but don't intend to go every night. Is there a consequence for not showing up, or do you have to cancel your reservation?

Thanks again ~Sue

To answer your question on cancelling out for MTD for a night or two. I think you will find a lot of people go to a specility dining one night anyway. You do not need to formally cancel out but I would always tell your tablemates your plans so they will not be waiting for you to show up at dining. Also that will give them a chance to make plans themselves.

Great food guide! We are going on Adventure of the Seas - I will have to go & look at what restaurants are on that ship. Sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for sharing all that great info.

Part 3: Day 2 Baking in the Solarium

Every 4 PM we would saunter over to the Solarium Bar and she would order her BBC and I would have a Margarita.

Sorry if this has already been asked before. But are the Margaritas good? I had one on the Serenade and it was so watered down it was not very good at all. Will be on the Allure in Sept.

Part 10: MDR for Lunch

It was our last day of the cruise, always a sad thing. We started at the Solarium for breakfast and then did a bit of relaxing. We went to see Splish! Splash! at the Aquatheater an Rachelle and Jackie were there too. They started talking about their wine package. They had one more bottle of wine and they weren’t sure when they could use it since they were going to be at the Chef’s Table that evening. I suggested that they go to the Main Dining Room for lunch and have the waiter open it. They didn’t have to finish it; they could take it with them after it was opened. Instead they asked if my wife and I would like to join them and finish their last bottle. Well, far be it for us to turn down an offer like that! ;)

I don't know if it is the same on the Oasis but we just got off the Radiance and went to lunch in the MDR, where there was a salad bar (seeing the similarities;)) and for anyone interested, the salad bar was AMAZING! Tons of selections (maybe 25) all chopped up together for you with homemade bread, chips etc)

I was wishing we found it prior to the last day. Oh well, we will have another chance in Oct on the Oasis (if it is the same)

Now back to this wonderful review of the food. Thanks for taking the time to write it!

Edited by jennat

Brian can you explain to me how spliting the wine works. I personally don't won't to drink all that wine really going for my wife she's the foodie. We have already paid for chef's table $95 p.p. Do they take any money off what we have paid? Thanks so much for your detail review.