The Almost Complete Food Lovers Guide to the Oasis of the Seas

You're very welcome. Just off the Allure (actually waiting in the departure lounge). Look out for my Allure review which I should be starting in a few days. :)

Really enjoy you reviews, even though I haven't booked/sailed the Allure - I'm looking froward to reading it!! Jan

You're very welcome. Just off the Allure (actually waiting in the departure lounge). Look out for my Allure review which I should be starting in a few days. :)

Like:D Like:D Like:D

Hope you had a great cruise, look forward to your comments!

bobj

You can count on some pics! :D

Thanks all. Won't be home till late tonight. Probably start posting on Tuesday.

I made my DMIL read your review and she was loving it. She is joining us in March of next year for our Oasis cruise and she can't wait. She was looking forward to the bananna drink that you refered to in the review.;)

Safe trip home and can't wait to start reading,

Andrew

Edited by A&L_Ont

Brian, thank you so much for all the info you provided on this thread.

I apologize for waiting so long before coming on to thank you. I read this thread prior to my cruise on the Oasis in February and when I returned, failed to find it...lol. It was only when I read your recent thread of the Allure that I saw this link in your signature.

Even though we did not go to all the for fee restaurants that you went to, the info you provided re the Solarium and Park Cafe contributed immensely to our enjoyment of the Oasis. Although we are very experienced cruisers, this was only our 2nd RCCL cruise and we were not up to snuff on all the food offerings on RCCL, especially on the Oasis.

After reading this fabulous and well documented review, I was aware of all the offerings and we enjoyed all our meals without any crowds or lines. I will say that we did try Windjammer twice and both times, had a very nice meal without aniline ups or crowds. However our favourite was the Park Cafe. It was always busy ( not to get the food but seating wise ) but we sat outside and ate in the comfy cushioned seats. This area was my favourite place on the whole ship.

Hope to go on the Allure next so am enjoying reading your one on the Allure. Thank you! Thank you!:):)

Brian,

So glad you had a fun time on Allure. We were on the Liberty at the same time. We had less than a full week for break this year so could not join you this time! Can't wait to read the full review!

Rachelle

I Rachelle! Hope your Liberty cruise was great!

Brian, thank you so much for all the info you provided on this thread.

You're welcome. Glad you found it useful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Brian... I've throughly enjoy your review.. as I consider myself an amateur foodie as well... although I haven't had the chance to eat at that many places in NYC as you have.. I do have a question for you.. Have you eaten at Il Mulino New York?! This is what I consider the best food I've had in MY LIFE... hehehe... I've gone to many up-scale restaurants... but nothing like Il Mulino... If you've been there.. how does it compare with Chef's Table/150 Central Park? I've read some people saying that Chef's Table was the best meal of their lives, land and sea... and I cannot help but wonder what other culinary experiences have they have...

Unfortunately, I haven't been there! But I'm going to put it on my list of places to go soon. It looks awesome!

Hope you like it :)!!! I've only been to their restaurant in Puerto Rico (where I live), on Isla Verde... if you're familiar... but I would assume that the original restaurant in NY can only be equal or better to satisfy the new yorkers palates... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I've been getting a lot of share requests for the Guide, so I thought I'd repost the link here:

The Almost Complete Food Lovers Guide

Enjoy!

I just spend a few hours reading over this give, thank you for taking the time write all this.

I had one question, I am buying the wine package to try to make this trip more affordable. Would you feel bad trying to use this the wine package at 150. I like to eat, but I really dont know my wines very well. So I rather get a cheap wine and spend more in food and go to more establishments for the food.

As Chuck Berry said, "live like you wanna live!" Of course you can have a bottle of wine from your wine package. No one will force the wine pairing on you.

Have a great cruise and thanks for reading!

Thanks for the ultra fast response! =)

• 4 months later...

We have so enjoyed BrianAlt's review of the Speciality Dining and want to try to not go to the MDR except for the first night. We purchased the dining package but still would like to know which restaurants are a must. Also where to eat the first day lunch Park Cafe? Thanks in advance Fellow Cruisers.

We have so enjoyed BrianAlt's review of the Speciality Dining and want to try to not go to the MDR except for the first night. We purchased the dining package but still would like to know which restaurants are a must. Also where to eat the first day lunch Park Cafe? Thanks in advance Fellow Cruisers.

A must for us Chops and Vintages. We ate the Park Cafe for lunch on the first day, it was good I guess, but way over crowded. I also stopped at giovannies to make reservations and it was packed. I am not sure if the Solarium buffet is open for lunch the first day, but if you want to avoid crowds that would be the place to go to.

Edited by gambee

Glad you enjoyed. Thanks!

As I said in the review, it's about personal preference, but I would never miss an opportunity to go to 150 CP on either the Oasis or the Allure. It's the kind of dining experience that I LOVE! I think it's better than the Chef's Table because the wine pairings are better. But the Chef's Table is wonderful also! But you have to enjoy those kinds of tastings.

Giovanni's was better than I expected and is GREAT! Chops is a MUST DO for anyone; it satisfies any palate. Vintages is very enjoyable, but I wouldn't really put it in the class of a specialty restaurant. It's wine and tapas and it makes for a great evening.

As for lunch, my recommendation would be to go to the Park Cafe for lunch as soon as you board (noonish). Relax in Central Park for a while. Then head up to the pool deck and walk aft to the Wipeout Cafe and grab a pretzel dog (or some other indulgent snack).

Have a great cruise!

• 2 months later...

First, thanks for the amazing review.....its been said over and over, but it is proving VERY helpful in the planning of our cruise! I am so glad I was able to find it after all this time. Second, I know you didn't travel with kids but was wondering if you had any helpful hint for what to hit or 100% NOT hit with kids (we wouldn't dream of taking them to the Chef's Table, Chops, etc). Are there places that we should steer clear of? Lastly, for the first day lunch (since we have 4 kids ranging from 2 years old to 8 years old) we were thinking about doing Johnny Rocket's or Park Cafe since I believe they are close to each other and would be good for them and close if one is CrAZy (would love to do Giovanni's, but don't think we could convince the kids to eat the stuffed chicken :p. Well, thanks again.......we are getting EXCITED. :D

Thanks for posting, justschuttme. You're correct, I didn't travel with my kids on this cruise, but they have cruised with us. We have taken our children to restaurants since they were pretty young and they know how to act in that setting. On our Allure cruise (exactly a year ago!), they came with us to Chops. They were 16 and 13. Your children are certainly younger. I would have been comfortable taking my 8 year old into a restaurant like Chops, but not the 2 year old.

Park Cafe is only open for lunch. Johnny Rockets is open for all three meals. You should definitely take them to Johnny Rockets. Breakfast is free. Seafood Shack, right across from Johnny Rockets, will be great for the whole family. Sorrento's Pizza will work for you, however it will get crowded.

Do not go to 150 CP with the kids! But go to 150 CP! Or whatever dining option of your choice. Let the kids enjoy the camp or just hire a babysitter for the evening and treat yourself to a wonderful dinner. Then maybe you'll feel like no one should just schutt you. :)

Have a wonderful cruise!

First, thanks for the amazing review.....its been said over and over, but it is proving VERY helpful in the planning of our cruise! I am so glad I was able to find it after all this time. Second, I know you didn't travel with kids but was wondering if you had any helpful hint for what to hit or 100% NOT hit with kids (we wouldn't dream of taking them to the Chef's Table, Chops, etc). Are there places that we should steer clear of? Lastly, for the first day lunch (since we have 4 kids ranging from 2 years old to 8 years old) we were thinking about doing Johnny Rocket's or Park Cafe since I believe they are close to each other and would be good for them and close if one is CrAZy (would love to do Giovanni's, but don't think we could convince the kids to eat the stuffed chicken :p. Well, thanks again.......we are getting EXCITED. :D

My wife and I just sailed on Allure three weeks ago with our daughters (ages 8 and 4). We had similar thoughts for embarkation day...in particular, we wanted to avoid what is usually a very busy Windjammer for the first lunch (actually, our goal on this trip was to NEVER eat at the Windjammer!).

So we did book Giovanni's for a 1pm lunch, right after boarding...and it didn't work out too well. I think it was the combination of the girls being a bit restless after the hectic morning of packing, making our way to the pier and the waiting around for boarding. We were all very tired, but the girls also just couldn't sit still...and I should mention they're both very accustom to restaurants - we took them to the main dining room every night.

If it's open for lunch that first day, I agree with Brian that Johnny Rockets would be a good choice (Hi Brian!). Also, to echo Brian's comments, our two favourite restaurants on board were 150 Central Park (yes, you must go...our kids went to Ocean Adventure that night for our one dinner just the two of us) and the Park Cafe (I love their made-to-order salads!). For embarkation, I've heard Park Cafe can get VERY busy, and it did seem busy the afternoon we boarded Allure.