Karaoke on steroids!!!

*Mach*

Though I've been in several bands in the past, never sang with a full orchestra. Hope they're willing to change keys (right Linda?;))

According to the press release, it isn't a full orchestra, just guitar, keyboard, drums, and backup singers! If that's the case, IMO it won't amount to much for most songs, and for almost none that I commonly do. (Great American Song Book, and some Country.) I hope they don't do away with the talent show, as that's my favorite activity. Probably not, as this is happening on 7 day cruises, and the talent show was only on short cruises, and 8 day and longer. Well, I won't judge, or get too excited until I see the "real thing". Sure hope it is with the full band (orchestra). That would be FUN!

"SKY"

I just hope that this doesn't replace part of the regular production shows, but my guess is it will. If they go to 1 karaoke and 1 production show each evening then even if they alternate the times each night you are always going to miss something or miss MDR dinner.

We were on the Pride last week and they did the first run of this (I think it was Thursday) night. It wasn't until 10:30 and I went to bed as I expected the same clientele as the regular karaoke (mostly bad with a few good ones peppered in), but DH stayed to watch. He said it was great and that they were all pretty good singers, so we were assuming they auditioned.

By the way, Jay, the DJ in the karaoke lounge was hysterical is not to be missed on the Pride. He totally made the show.

I couldn't get your video's to open for me Amy. Oh well. Just a bunch of red x's. I see the comments.

I'm so sorry! It works for me & I'm not techie enough to help!

I'm on both youtube & webshots. This one was taken on the Mariner in May and the KJ was hoot dancing with me.

http://good-times.webshots.com/video/3040649090071903042orsySy

http://travel.webshots.com/video/3028545880040669306UARYLl not clear of me but you can hear the singing anyway. Taken on the Elation.

taken in a local VFW/bar so excuse the background chatting.

These are great!!! Thanks for sharing :)

So much karaoke, so little time!! :D

"Until now, karaoke on Carnival ships, as at most other lines, only has been offered in lounges outfitted with traditional pre-recorded, sing-a-long music track system. Carnival still will offer such traditional karaoke on its ships."

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/08/carnival-cruise-lines-karaoke-superactive-live-music-ship/103911/1

According to this press release they will have both kinds - band and CD.

I don't sing, but think the band idea is really cool!

Thank you. I'd watch people sing with the live band but have no desire to do that myself.

According to the press release, it isn't a full orchestra, just guitar, keyboard, drums, and backup singers! If that's the case, IMO it won't amount to much for most songs, and for almost none that I commonly do. (Great American Song Book, and some Country.) I hope they don't do away with the talent show, as that's my favorite activity. Probably not, as this is happening on 7 day cruises, and the talent show was only on short cruises, and 8 day and longer. Well, I won't judge, or get too excited until I see the "real thing". Sure hope it is with the full band (orchestra). That would be FUN!

"SKY"

Sadly even the "orchestra" is down to just being a "Show Band"... instruments like Trumphets are now a thing of the past.

I have sung with the cover bands in the Carnival lounges....so I would think it will be similar to that.

The band is still playing along with karaoke tracks and the lyrics will still be on the screen. So it's not really "live" at all!

THIS is significant information because if the band is just doing "fill work"....( playing along with the karaoke CDG)...the transposing the song into another key will not be possible.

:(

Help! Linda, Carnival's advertising 100 songs for this. We can see the first 50 at John's blog. Any idea of how we can get a look at page 2?

Those are the only ones John put on his Blog. Perhaps he will post the other 50 soon.

We don't sail on a ship until November that will offer this.....if the other songs are not posted by then...I will take pictures of the list!

Does anyone know if they published a rollout schedule?

Trying to see if it will be on the dream 8/28/10

If I am remembering correctly it is already on 2 ships (I don't believe the Dream was one of them) and it is being added this week ( I think) to the Pride.

They just said that it would be on all 7 day cruises (or longer) by the end of the year.

"Until now, karaoke on Carnival ships, as at most other lines, only has been offered in lounges outfitted with traditional pre-recorded, sing-a-long music track system. Carnival still will offer such traditional karaoke on its ships."

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/08/carnival-cruise-lines-karaoke-superactive-live-music-ship/103911/1

According to this press release they will have both kinds - band and CD.

I don't sing, but think the band idea is really cool!

Thanks for the link to the article stating Carnival will have both types of karaoke: live band & pre-recorded cds.

It's nice to see Carnival is expanding the karaoke options.

When I 1st saw the article in CC (linking to this thread) I was a little dismayed thinking there would only be the band option.

It gave me flash backs to my Explorer of the Seas cruise in the Spring of 2009. I LOVE to karaoke. I'm not great, but know how to entertain and sing loud and on key. We were cruising with friends we'd met in previous cruises. My one friend has a great "lounge singer" type voice. The Explorer had this "state of the art" type system, but there were very limited song choices available. What a dud! I only sang once and my friend never sang. The songs she sings just weren't there! It really affected my enjoyment of the cruise.

Contrast that to my experience on the Carnival Spirit the previous Fall (2008). There was a huge selection of songs and the best karaoke host I've ever witnessed. (His name was Kim & he hosted karaoke on the Valor when my SIL cruised in October of 2009) Between the variety of songs available and the terrific host, the place was packed every night. It was just fun and crazy.

krazy, karaoke lovin', kruisin kris

P.S. I'd thought about trying out NCL. But if they're limiting karaoke, they're out.

I think thats one of the main reasons why I like Carnival. Karaoke is a blast. I went on RCI Mariner in May and I was very disappointed which did effect my cruise. Our bar bill was next to nothing and we spent a lot of time in the cabin sleeping. First they had karaoke only 4 nights out of 7. Second they had it for only 1 only hour per night so only maybe 10 people got to sing a song. Third only one night was open karaoke the other three were competitions. Fourth their song selection was pretty shameful and they couldn't play my cd's. I mean their book was so bad that it had a ton of Brittney Spears songs and none by Patsy Cline. Only a couple songs by Shania Twain and no Cher songs, Fleetwood Mac or any of the songs I like to sing. So I got to sing one song the first night and then didn't get to sing at all again the rest of the cruise.

NCLA was a little better in that they had it every night for at least 2 hours and it was well attended but the KJ had no clue what they were doing, key changes were not happening and they couldn't play my cd's but their song selection was okay. Not the best but there were at least several songs I could sing. I've only been on NCL in Hawaii so I can't comment about other ships.

Thanks for the link to the article stating Carnival will have both types of karaoke: live band & pre-recorded cds.

It's nice to see Carnival is expanding the karaoke options.

When I 1st saw the article in CC (linking to this thread) I was a little dismayed thinking there would only be the band option.

It gave me flash backs to my Explorer of the Seas cruise in the Spring of 2009. I LOVE to karaoke. I'm not great, but know how to entertain and sing loud and on key. We were cruising with friends we'd met in previous cruises. My one friend has a great "lounge singer" type voice. The Explorer had this "state of the art" type system, but there were very limited song choices available. What a dud! I only sang once and my friend never sang. The songs she sings just weren't there! It really affected my enjoyment of the cruise.

Contrast that to my experience on the Carnival Spirit the previous Fall (2008). There was a huge selection of songs and the best karaoke host I've ever witnessed. (His name was Kim & he hosted karaoke on the Valor when my SIL cruised in October of 2009) Between the variety of songs available and the terrific host, the place was packed every night. It was just fun and crazy.

krazy, karaoke lovin', kruisin kris

P.S. I'd thought about trying out NCL. But if they're limiting karaoke, they're out.

Kim is a good friend of mine. Just got an email from him this morning...his next contract will be on the Splendor January 2011 until July.

Archived