Elegant Dressing: Who still does it?

comeon530

If I go to an event "deemed" elegant and find waiters and busboys jumping and singing on tables and contest being run then I know I am not at an elegant dinner. Tuxes never as My wife and I find them ugly , all look the same like penguin suits and my wife laughs when women put sequins all over there dress and call it "elegant". The best and usually the nicest people wear shirt with collar and pants without holes and the women wear anything but a bathing suit. Trust me 80% of people dress business casual on the so called "elegant" night while waiters are jumping on tables and screaming.:cool:

On the ones I've been on 80% of the people wore "elegant" attire. Less dressy than formal, but more dressy than business casual.

I'm glad you mentioned laughing at people. I do the same when I see someone who has not dressed for the occasion.:rolleyes:

I've been reading the posts in this thread and one thought keeps going through my mind..."why does anyone care?"

My husband and I like to dress.

Maybe the couple down the corridor want to go to dinner in sports clothes.

Do we ruin their dinner because of our attire?

Do they ruin ours?

I think not.

Why do we keep making such a fuss about this?

And people who laugh at other people because of the way they dress are people I would walk the length of the ship to avoid.

I've been reading the posts in this thread and one thought keeps going through my mind..."why does anyone care?"

My husband and I like to dress.

Maybe the couple down the corridor want to go to dinner in sports clothes.

Do we ruin their dinner because of our attire?

Do they ruin ours?

I think not.

Why do we keep making such a fuss about this?

And people who laugh at other people because of the way they dress are people I would walk the length of the ship to avoid.

You're gonna do a lot of walking....

What others wear to dinner has never really interested me, but I will say that I was quite surprised at how casual it was on the second elegant night of our last cruise. It was the first time I had seen shorts and t-shirts on an elegant night to that extent. As I've said before, the minimum dress code in the dining room on any particular cruise is up to the MDs. Carnival has given them substantial discretion in enforcing it.

You're gonna do a lot of walking....

I truly think, though, that on most ships, no one cares how anyone else is dressed. I have not seen the attitudes expressed on Cruise Critic expressed by anyone while we're on a cruise.

During the height of the "Attire" debates on this board we happened to go on a 5 day cruise on the Fantasy. Many people here were claiming that "80%" of passengers wear formal wear on elegant night, and that "less than 10%" wear jeans on other nights, etc. I knew this wasn't true, and on that cruise I paid more attention to what the people in the dining room were wearing. I noticed things were indeed a LOT more casual each and every night of the cruise than what the Cruise Critic folks were saying. What I did NOT notice were any sneers or disapproving looks from the "better dressed" pax - just hundreds of people enjoying their meals and enjoying conversation with their tablemates.

One thing that did catch my eye on that cruise, at the first dinner, was a man in his sixties wearing a Grumpy t shirt and what looked to be plaid pajama pants with Crocs. This was at dinner the first night. I got a kick out of that, and I wondered if his luggage had been lost or something. Sure enough, he showed up each night with a different Grumpy shirt and either shorts or lounge pants. And no one at his table seemed to care (although I'm sure comments were made after dinner).

While we are happy to meet or exceed the dress code of the cruise line for dinner, I think the people who are upset about the change in dress code, or about the people who don't follow it, either need to lighten up or perhaps select a more formal cruise line for their next cruise. If you prefer a more refined and formal environment, Carnival just isn't going to meet your needs in that regard.

I truly think, though, that on most ships, no one cares how anyone else is dressed. I have not seen the attitudes expressed on Cruise Critic expressed by anyone while we're on a cruise.

During the height of the "Attire" debates on this board we happened to go on a 5 day cruise on the Fantasy. Many people here were claiming that "80%" of passengers wear formal wear on elegant night, and that "less than 10%" wear jeans on other nights, etc. I knew this wasn't true, and on that cruise I paid more attention to what the people in the dining room were wearing. I noticed things were indeed a LOT more casual each and every night of the cruise than what the Cruise Critic folks were saying. What I did NOT notice were any sneers or disapproving looks from the "better dressed" pax - just hundreds of people enjoying their meals and enjoying conversation with their tablemates. Some people have a lot of practice hiding these things. ;)

One thing that did catch my eye on that cruise, at the first dinner, was a man in his sixties wearing a Grumpy t shirt and what looked to be plaid pajama pants with Crocs. This was at dinner the first night. I got a kick out of that, and I wondered if his luggage had been lost or something. Sure enough, he showed up each night with a different Grumpy shirt and either shorts or lounge pants. And no one at his table seemed to care (although I'm sure comments were made after dinner).

While we are happy to meet or exceed the dress code of the cruise line for dinner, I think the people who are upset about the change in dress code, or about the people who don't follow it, either need to lighten up or perhaps select a more formal cruise line for their next cruise. If you prefer a more refined and formal environment, Carnival just isn't going to meet your needs in that regard.

I care, but I don't. I think people should dress for the occasion, but it certainly won't ruin my dinner if they don't. My group of about 50 or so dressed up every night. We had a few newbies in our group that did not. I shared a table with them and their attire did not make my dinner less enjoyable.

I think we've all had different experiences as far as dress code. For me, there have been a large precentage of people that enjoyed dressing up. On my last cruise, I saw folks in formal wear on non-elegant nights. I thought that was pretty cool.

If I go to an event "deemed" elegant and find waiters and busboys jumping and singing on tables and contest being run then I know I am not at an elegant dinner. Tuxes never as My wife and I find them ugly , all look the same like penguin suits and my wife laughs when women put sequins all over there dress and call it "elegant". The best and usually the nicest people wear shirt with collar and pants without holes and the women wear anything but a bathing suit. Trust me 80% of people dress business casual on the so called "elegant" night while waiters are jumping on tables and screaming.:cool:

Really?

What about throwing bouquets, throwing glasses into fireplaces, sitting on dancing chairs, throwing garters, and placing them up the thighs of giggling women, sometimes where the hands aren't even used?

Or even chicken dancing, putting your left hand in, and then out again, and even worse? :eek:

Those of us laughing usually are doing it when you'er not looking. Unless, of course, we cannot control ourselves.

If I go to an event "deemed" elegant and find waiters and busboys jumping and singing on tables and contest being run then I know I am not at an elegant dinner. Tuxes never as My wife and I find them ugly , all look the same like penguin suits and my wife laughs when women put sequins all over there dress and call it "elegant". The best and usually the nicest people wear shirt with collar and pants without holes and the women wear anything but a bathing suit. Trus me 80% of people dress business casual on the so called "elegant" night while waiters are jumping on tables and screaming.:cool:

Don't believe that 80% are shirt with collar. Stop spreading misinformation in the hope the world dumbs down to your standards.

It must be getting much worse..the 4 day in June 09..really was 80% dressy on elegant (between formal and business/Sunday) and those who did not were in nice slacks, best top they brought and jewelry/ties to make it better...and wished they had brought better at my table.

Maybe we need the ghost of some of our grandmothers with a little ruler to inhabit the Maitre' d's body for a bit..fine tune the definitions of shorts, jeans, and the term I learned here..wife beater shirts....sjn.

..."why does anyone care?"

Why do I care?

Two reasons:

1. The attire of others affects the atmosphere of the entire dining room. There is something special about a good meal, with good company, in the presence of folks who are dressed properly.

When someone walks in with torn jeans and a t-shirt (as happens more often than it used to), the atmosphere in the dining room changes from restaurant to fast food.

If I wanted to eat in a fast food joint, I wouldn't be in the main dining room of a cruise ship at dinner time.

2. For those who haven't noticed, packing can be a hassle as well as bag charges on airlines. If My wife and I take the trouble to pack properly for cruise dining, it annoys me that others can have the very same experience in their torn jeans and t shirts.

You can criticize my opinion, but I believe it is shared by many!

Dh and I were talking about this. On the Triumph last week, we'd say on elegant night 1, for men: 5% were in tuxes, 5% were in slum wear, 40% were in full-on suits with tie, 30% were wearing no tie (either sport coats with no tie or dress shirt with no tie) 20% were in resort casual (either polo shirts or Tommy Bahama type shirts). For women: 0% long gowns. 30% cocktail dresses (beaded, chiffon and the like), 40% church type dresses/more casual dresses and 30% pants/capris with blouses. (didn't see any slum wear on women).

The second elegant night, for men we'd say 2% were in tuxes, 5% slum wear, 15% tie, 40% no tie and 38% resort casual. For women, 0% long gowns, 10% cocktail dresses, 40% church/casual dresses and 50% pants/capris with blouses.

Obviously not scientific, but illustrates and gives you an idea of the breakdown that we saw.

It was HOT since it was the end of July out of New Orleans, so I suspect that had something to do with the more relaxed atmosphere. The second elegant night was on the evening of the third port day, so I'm sure that had something to do with it as well.

I also agree with Rowan: I didn't see anyone obviously bothered by what anyone else was wearing. Everyone seemed very attentive to their own families and the conversations at their own tables. (I had paid attention since this was such a hot topic on CC).

I enjoyed dressing up. On Valor we had two Elegant nights. It was really nice to see everyone all dressed up.

By the way, our waiters were fabulous. Melvin and Dominic. They were just so great.... so attentive. Table 182. Lincoln Dining Room. We had the 6 oclock seating.

I do. I wear a cocktail dress or a formal depending on my mood. This trip I am taking two knee length cocktail dresses and a a couple other dresses for the other nights in the MDR. I will dress on the ship the same way I would if I were going to a VERY nice resturant at home or attending a formal function.

Most people still make an effort to dress up for dinner on elegant nights... probably 80 to 85%.

There is a very loud and vocal crowd which endorses the philosophy that a cruise dining room is no more classy than a MacDonald's. These people are often rude in their assertions and try to characterize anyone who likes to dress appropriately (rather than meet the lowest acceptable minimum) as being 90-years old' date=' uptight and unbearable.

They are wrong.

They will, however, very aggressively try to recruit you and brainwash you into their way of thinking. :rolleyes:

Be brave. Resist the infidels! :eek:[/quote']

So glad to see that you, at least, are so non-judgmental.

I guess that depends on how far you go back in the past. Maybe 50 to 75 years ago? :confused:

I have been on seven cruises since October of 2008 and find that my estimate of 80 to 85 per cent pertaining to cruisers who make an effort to dress up on Elegant Night is still true. All the polls which have been done on this subject also report that same range.

The Big Mac people argue that Cruise Critic only represents experienced' date=' sophisticated and well-informed cruisers. I would think that would tell them something. :D They argue that inexperienced cruisers who aren't members of Cruise Critic are more in tune with the times and are more hip and know that cargo shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps at dinner are where it's at for today's "cool" people.

One can only scoff at their delusions. :)[/quote']

Wow!

You have summed up perfectly how it is re dress code and the online nonsense here everytime anybody brings up the topic.

I don't know why a Sticky is not put at the top of the Carnival page to put this topic to rest.

I am certain you are both correct, and Carnival has cunningly chosen to relax their dress code more and more in an effort to aggravate customers and send them back to McDonald's where they belong.

Why do I care?

Two reasons:

1. The attire of others affects the atmosphere of the entire dining room. There is something special about a good meal, with good company, in the presence of folks who are dressed properly.

When someone walks in with torn jeans and a t-shirt (as happens more often than it used to), the atmosphere in the dining room changes from restaurant to fast food.

If I wanted to eat in a fast food joint, I wouldn't be in the main dining room of a cruise ship at dinner time.

2. For those who haven't noticed, packing can be a hassle as well as bag charges on airlines. If My wife and I take the trouble to pack properly for cruise dining, it annoys me that others can have the very same experience in their torn jeans and t shirts.

You can criticize my opinion, but I believe it is shared by many!

Right on...a couple of questions to those who ask why does it matter what people wear:

Is drinking wine in a wine glass a different experience than drinking wine in a plastic cup?

Does dinner served on china providea different experience than dinner served on a paper plate?

Imagine a dining room filled with people in formal attire. Than imagine those same peoiple wearing shorts and golf shirts. Is your experince the same?

Simply this - follow the rules people.

In my opinion and only my opinion. The reason people wear what they do is because they don't read the Capers/Fun Times and they are new cruiser's.

They really don't know that it's a dress up night. They think what they wore the first night of the cruise is acceptable on the other nights.

In this case it is up to the MD to correct them and inform them to go back to there room and change or go elsewhere to eat.

I'm sure that everyone has been a new cruiser at one time and there is a learning curve that sometimes takes a few days. I have seen this and I'm sure you have seen this and the 3rd night they are dressed appropriately.

Archived