Internet Fees !!!

richfrommo

What are the fees on the Jewel to use their computer in the internet cafe & is it any cheaper if you have your own computer to just a connection their ? :)

Charge is the same no matter whether you use their computer or theirs, and average price is about $0.75 per minute. Very slooooooooow connection, so plan well for any time you sign on.

Time is slow... but I still needed internet to check in at home (and watch my puppy while she was boarded). Look for internet specials and it's not as bad as it could be.

Like the previous poster said, I composed in WORD and then just did a cut and paste.

One other point, use your own email address, gmail, etc. NOT the one the ship provides. That has other hidden charges.

Just a necessity when I travel so I chalk it up.

Have a great time.

The fees are the same regardless of whether you use their machines or your own laptop.

The average price is about $.75 a minute.

The 75cents a minute is the pay-as-you-go price. You can also buy a package of 100 minutes for $55 or a package of 250 minutes for $100, their cheapest price which averages to 40cents a minute. There is also a onetime set-up fee of $3.95, whether you use your own computer to connect or use the ship's internet cafe.

Connection time can be very slow.

Charge is the same no matter whether you use their computer or theirs, and average price is about $0.75 per minute. Very slooooooooow connection, so plan well for any time you sign on.

75cents is the pay-as-you-use plan. There is also a 100 minute package for $55 or a 250 minute package for $100 (40cents a minute). There is a $3.95 onetime setup fee to use the internet whether you use your computer or the ship's internet cafe.

Internet access on the ship is expensive and slow... to me it is not worth it.

Next cruise, I am bringing a small netbook and purchasing some time on a pay-as-you-go mobile broadband service. As long as you are in range of a cell tower served by that company, you can surf the net.

US ports including the St Thomas and San Juan are probably on the same plans we have at home, but in other countries there may be different carriers. There, I would just go to a local internet cafe. It is really cheap.

Of course you have to accept that you are not going to be on-line while at sea, but really, on vacation that is a really good thing. So much else to do other than the stuff you do at home on the computer, right?

We bought the 250 minutes when we cruised in December. It lasted us the whole week and we found almost everyday there was some sort of special offered and when we had the chance, we took full advantage. We were in a suite on the Pearl and I actually found the connection fairly decent compared to some hotels we have stayed in. One thing you can do is type out your emails in Word, then cut and paste them to your email client. I actually uploaded a few pictures and added some comments to my Facebook page while onboard.

I did upload a few pictures and it was only to my Facebook page and my status for the day....I updated my travel pages and blogs when I got home because I think that would have been too intense. I kept a notebook to write little notes in and then updated everything when I got home to include my pictures. I personally think that's smarter. That said, both my husband and I shared the 250 minutes the entire week with the addition of 10 minutes here and 30 minutes there. We left the ship and had 15 minutes still on the account.

I am also curious to the speeds. Will bring my ipad and plan to use it for sending and receiving email and to update a web log with some small images (480x320 or something).

Will that be doable?

I did upload a few pictures and it was only to my Facebook page and my status for the day....I updated my travel pages and blogs when I got home because I think that would have been too intense. I kept a notebook to write little notes in and then updated everything when I got home to include my pictures. I personally think that's smarter. That said, both my husband and I shared the 250 minutes the entire week with the addition of 10 minutes here and 30 minutes there. We left the ship and had 15 minutes still on the account.

Thanks. I have blog software (offline) on the ipad, so I can prepare everything including resized pictures while offline, only need connection to upload text and small images. As I understand from your posts that would be doable.

Yep, as long as you can do that, you are probably good. I'm sure much will also have to do with how many ppl are trying to connect at any given time and how full your ship is. I'm pretty sure we were on a soft sailing so that could have much to do with why we did so well. Do come back and report how it worked out for you! :)

I just do status reports to my Facebook for my friends...they found them quite amusing, especially the picture that I took of netbook sitting on the chaise on our balcony!

Thanks. I have blog software (offline) on the ipad, so I can prepare everything including resized pictures while offline, only need connection to upload text and small images. As I understand from your posts that would be doable.

I am not sure what you are asking, Erdoran. You can not get use of the ship's internet service by any method which does not include getting an account (which will, of course, make you log on -- and off -- each time you use the internet service)

Incidentally, there is another alternative while in port. I personally rarely use an internet cafe, since I can almost always find free internet connection, sometimes intentionally free for use, more often just unprotected band width.

Bill

Oh and BTW, my office for seven days....it just doesn't get much better than this!

Yep, as long as you can do that, you are probably good. I'm sure much will also have to do with how many ppl are trying to connect at any given time and how full your ship is. I'm pretty sure we were on a soft sailing so that could have much to do with why we did so well. Do come back and report how it worked out for you! :)

I just do status reports to my Facebook for my friends...they found them quite amusing, especially the picture that I took of netbook sitting on the chaise on our balcony!

11555_194107737383_506982383_2886066_5867282_n.jpg.2372b510644b7668bbe7ed398fa840e4.jpg

I use my iPod touch for emails. No need to surf the Internet.

On our last 2-week trans-atlantic cruise I bought a $50 package. I usually pre-write my emails and tap the SEND button. They all pile up in the OUT box. Once a day I log on, and the emails are sent automatically, and new emails are also downloaded. Normally it takes between 4 and 6 minutes. After two weeks I exceeded my budget by $1.08.

@myles866

Try Starbucks or McDonalds. They both offer free wi-fi.

The 75cents a minute is the pay-as-you-go price. You can also buy a package of 100 minutes for $55 or a package of 250 minutes for $100, their cheapest price which averages to 40cents a minute. There is also a onetime set-up fee of $3.95, whether you use your own computer to connect or use the ship's internet cafe.

Connection time can be very slow.

I was just on Sky and did buy a package as I teach online and have to post every day. The connection was fine! I did not have any real delays that eat up minutes. Sky is older, so I could not use their Wi-Fi from our cabin.

Archived